daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #41
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

If those are torn down I will be royally pissed.

seb.nl liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #42
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I believe that 29 is part of this site. The Boltons store there closed, and as per this photo, netting is going up on the whole site. I suspect that this developer owns the Hadassa site, and the parcel just east of it on 58th St. I suspect that this tower will be well over 300m.

P.S.: For those not familiar with this area, In this photo, the rear (ie, 58th St) facade of the Park Lane is visible behind the lowrise structures that will be razed.

yes it would be a shame if 29 is part of this development.

Just looking at this picture It would look like 29W57 is needed for positioning purposes to offer this new tower unimpeded views looking north.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #43
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

If something tall is built here, the entire eastern facade of the Solow will be covered. Shame, because the cross-bracing and white walls are pretty cool.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #44
Vertical_Gotham

Rizzoli Bookstore Demolition: 57th Street Building Lacks Significance For Landmark Protection, Says NYC Committee
http://www.ibtimes.com/rizzoli-books...ction-says-nyc

Quote:
The building that houses New York’s beloved Rizzoli Bookstore does not meet the criteria for individual landmark status, according to the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission. The determination was made on Wednesday by the office of Robert B. Tierney, chairman of the commission, which found that the Midtown Manhattan property at 31 West 57th Street “lacks the architectural significance necessary to meet the criteria for designation as an individual landmark.”

The determination follows reports this week that the charming 109-year-old structure is facing demolition, presumably to make way for yet another luxury condo and adding to the numerous glass towers that have sprouted up like mushrooms along the busy crosstown thoroughfare. Rizzoli is located in one of three adjacent townhouses, all of which will reportedly be demolished
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #45
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

It seems the current works are for facade renovations. No mentioning of demolition yet. PHEW!
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:43 AM   #46
Vertical_Gotham

interesting. Looks like 29W57 may be going down. It's location is probably where the new tower will rise because the northern views would not be blocked by Park Lane.

29W57th Street
http://www.thecityreview.com/57w27.html

Quote:
This 13-story building was erected by a piano manufacturer, but is not really competition for the larger and far more opulent and extravagant Steinway Building further to the west on 57th Street. Its caryatids, however, are marvelous as shown in the photograph above.... read more in link

Old January 21st, 2014, 01:18 AM   #47
OptomistOne

Likes (Received): 533

Quote:
NY developers are very greedy and will do anything to put a shekel in their pockets.
Well, I would not rush to blame the developers quite so quickly or in such a blanket way.

Has anyone asked who the owners of the three buildings were before the developer bought them?

Often they are local people who fully realise what is going to happen - so who is the 'greedy' party in that scenario? The developer who may have identified a possible project but really cannot do anything until they own the sites or the site owners who knowingly sell a 'heritage' building to be demolished to make themselves a small fortune...as the old saying goes, it takes two to tango...

London, the World's Greatest City.......................................after Hobart.
OptomistOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:40 AM   #48
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

I'm torn.

This assemblage, especially 29 W 57th, is magnificent.

However, I am excited about another supertall. NY is truly unmatched.

rencharles liked this post
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 02:05 AM   #49
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Hopefully something along the lines of One Wall Street will replace these grand buildings. A man may dream. <3
Old January 21st, 2014, 04:48 AM   #50
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

There is a beautiful drawing of the ensemble in this blog:
http://allthebuildingsinnewyork.com/...st-57th-street
Torch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:05 AM   #51
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
If something tall is built here, the entire western facade of the Solow will be covered. Shame, because the cross-bracing and white walls are pretty cool.
I was just about to point this out. As the Solow building has grown a lot on me recently, I'd be sad to see that side covered up. Also, I bet it would seriously affect their best-in-the-city office rents, as there'd be no view out of the West-facing offices.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 07:23 PM   #52
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Those buildings are gorgeous. It's a shame they can't at least preserve the facade by hollowing out the structure and reinforcing it.
Trex-md no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:43 PM   #53
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18862

It's crazy that city is letting those gems to be razed.

Actually this not a question on investors greedines, because if there is a passibility to earn moneyz some will do anything to make it happen. It's just business.
Those buildings should be protected by law, simple as that.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łˇdź - Remonty kamienic i zabytkˇw - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łˇdzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:29 AM   #54
OptomistOne

Likes (Received): 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
It's crazy that city is letting those gems to be razed.

Actually this not a question on investors greedines, because if there is a passibility to earn moneyz some will do anything to make it happen. It's just business.
Those buildings should be protected by law, simple as that.
Agreed. The real failure is the lack of heritage protection - and even if economically you can't keep the entire buildings, then would it be such a crime to keep the facades? (yes, I know there is a big debate about that too) But they are impressive little buildings in their own right and it will be a shame to see them completely wiped from exisitence.

London, the World's Greatest City.......................................after Hobart.

MarshallKnight liked this post
OptomistOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:49 AM   #55
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Petition To Save Rizzoli Bookstore Now Circulating

Quote:
MIDTOWN—There's a nascent campaign to save Rizzoli Bookstore, which is getting booted from its very lovely shop within a limestone mansion at 31 West 57th Street to make way for new construction. A Change.org petition to designate No. 31 as an interior and individual landmark has already attracted some 3,000 signatures, and there's also a website devoted to the cause. Says the About section: "Save Rizzoli is a movement by private citizens concerned with the prospect of a culturally and architecturally significant New York building being destroyed." The building's got some history, too.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:55 AM   #56
Vertical_Gotham

Yea I think they are fighting a lost battle here. Vornado better make a worthy tower here.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:23 PM   #57
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Well, it's up to the city to protect its aesthetic interests. NYC must decide what it wants to look like. It has very lax design guidelines and likewise awful protection of historic structures. The blame lies with the weak design policies of the city rather than with the developers. And if they allow the developers to influence them, what does that say for the politicians of the city? It says that they don't give a damn about design either and are just chasing money or their jobs. NYC needs a design review panel. It might slow development but it will lead to higher quality developments. At the end of the day, if they really want NYC to retain its essence, they have a duty to implement changes and they are failing at that right now because it is obvious that few people in power really care about urban design in NYC. How many more years will it take before politcos wake up and implement something like London has. I assume it will be too late to save countless beauties, when a simple policy to mandate saving facades of old buildings would have saved many.

Last edited by aquablue; January 22nd, 2014 at 07:38 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:01 AM   #58
stanwhite29

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Good luck with that! Nothing will stop these greedy schmucks. I wish it would, but it will not.
I wouldn't be so certain. All of the Landmark commissioners' terms are set to expire very soon and will be replaced by the new mayor.

And I expect there will be a public outcry over demolishing 29 W 57th. It was designed by Cross & Cross, and it's jam packed with Gothic and Art Deco details.
stanwhite29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:05 AM   #59
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwhite29 View Post
I wouldn't be so certain. All of the Landmark commissioners' terms are set to expire very soon and will be replaced by the new mayor.

And I expect there will be a public outcry over demolishing 29 W 57th. It was designed by Cross & Cross, and it's jam packed with Gothic and Art Deco details.
Activists are honing in on preserving the interior of the building which implies that the fašade may be preserved by the LPC and/or developers. Preserving both the fašade as well as the interior may make the development more complicated but not necessarily stop it.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:56 AM   #60
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 150

If classic buildings are going to be torn down, only classic buildings/skyscrapers should replace them. No glass bullshit. That's a reasonable demand for developers to abide by for the destruction of good architecture.
LouDagreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
31 w.57th st., new york, nyc, rizzoli