daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #101
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

It's just Nimbys being Nimbys. It won't happen anyway, everyone and their mother is against it.
That Gayle what's her face is starting to annoy the crap out of me.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #102
wilfred267

Likes (Received): 72

Developers, construction unions and housing activists will make sure that her policies are not implemented. l wouldn't worry about it.

Munwon liked this post
wilfred267 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #103
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

When it comes to pre World War II jewels some kind of standard to prevent gems from that period to be torn down have to be considered but 50 years is really too limiting. You don't want to grind construction and modernization to a halt though... or just pick any building simply because it predates WWII. I do think architectural gems if in good enough shape as to continue standing for a long time if just basically maintained well should be protected. I'm no way a NIMBY but there has to be some kind of leeway here so we don't replace jewels with corporate or uninspired crap.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:23 AM   #104
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

These pre war buildings are so overrated and overglorified... Not everything from that time was an 'architectural jewel'. These people need to calm down.

They weren't better times, either. Uneventful industrialization pre-1900, A boom for only a few years in the 20s, followed by almost a decade of starvation and unemployment.

Ghostface79 liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; April 16th, 2014 at 03:30 AM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #105
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
These pre war buildings are so overrated and overglorified... Not everything from that time was an 'architectural jewel'. These people need to calm down.

They weren't better times, either. Uneventful industrialization pre-1900, A boom for only a few years in the 20s, followed by almost a decade of starvation and unemployment.
True but some really are... there are precious few built after say 1960 I could say that about. But history has both good and bad elements and keeping some living record of those times binding New York over the generations is I think a positive thing. That said, I fully support building and modernizing and the past shouldn't get so much of a glowing remembrance it freezes the city from boldly moving on. New York is known for its constant growth and spirit and you can't grow if you're too attached to the past.
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:47 AM   #106
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Quote:
These pre war buildings are so overrated and overglorified... Not everything from that time was an 'architectural jewel'. These people need to calm down
Well said. I think most of us here who enjoy good architecture are in favor of preserving buildings with unique features or with historical significance, or even whole neighborhoods for that matter. That doesn't mean every single decent prewar should be preserved.
The notion that every building built 50+ years ago should be considered for preservation is an absolute farce, after all I'm sure there were a few Sam Changs back in the 20s and 30s.

Kanto, MarshallKnight liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #107
DannyR2713
another Registered User

Likes (Received): 698

Might have to compete with the Park Lane site for central park views.

JamesMonroe liked this post
DannyR2713 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #108
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

Rizzoli Bookstore makes its final sales and gets boarded up as the farewell party still goes on inside.

April 11, 2014

LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #109
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Sad, that such a place is out....

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #110
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
The Drapes of Death.

Nice job of buffing off the medals from the top of 29 W. 57th...
not just medals, but also gilded figures

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Manitopiaaa, citybooster liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #111
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

100 years from now people will scratch their heads how on earth we (in the early 00's) accepted greedy developers tearing down buildings like these.
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #112
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10266

Wow, never knew about those gilded figures. Another bit of New York history goes bye bye. And it's disappointing so many forumers here have no problem with that so long as they can ogle a taller building. Unless this winds up being another 111 West 57th, it will be a downgrade over what was there before imo

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #113
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4478

Surely they can at least take off and preserve these figures and other objects?

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #114
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10266

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post

All Brewer's asking for is heightened scrutiny for the demolition of older buildings. I don't thinks that's anything but noble, especially in New York where countless treasures have been replaced by dull corporates and highways. I think 50 years is way too early though. I like the 80 year plan, though 100 years might be better. Or a tiered-approach: 75-years+ buildings get 15-days heightened scrutiny, 100-yrs+ get 30-days, 150-yrs+ get 45-days (I doubt there's that many of these), etc. And then there would have to be stopgaps so that a developer doesn't start destroying 74-year old buildings just to prevent them from aging (it's more common than you think).

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

citybooster, Tower Dude liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #115
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post

Wow, never knew about those gilded figures. Another bit of New York history goes bye bye. And it's disappointing so many forumers here have no problem with that so long as they can ogle a taller building. Unless this winds up being another 111 West 57th, it will be a downgrade over what was there before imo
I have. It would be a f#$&$ing shame to demolish this one.

citybooster liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:44 AM   #116
citybooster

I too would be very reluctant to tear down something that with work can be fixed up and really be the proud jewel it was. There are many buildings that I wouldn't give a thought but demolishing beauty and history with skimpy cause just to horn in on the big money of supertalls just isn't right.

I like Manitopiaaa's idea... weighted look at buildings 75 years or older. Don't want to halt progress, and stifle economic activity. Many older buildings simply are worth the tradeoff, but a decent number are not and should be protected. The trick is making sure it doesn't turn into a NIMBY block party that gets in the way of doing business.

There has to be a way to try getting a balance that avoids greedy corporatism that runs roughshod over historic legacies and economic deadlock in virtually freezing the past from development.

Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:52 AM   #117
zilze

Likes (Received): 72

That building still looks nice and it doesn't even look old yet. If the developers are desperate to build a new skyscraper, they should acquire land in another part of New York City and build whatever they want. Why demolish a historic building with a unique architectural style? It doesn't really make sense.

https://plus.google.com/b/1130693590...57740899/posts

No amount of virus used to remotely attack my computer can silence my voice! >>>>>> Just an African proverb
;) : The blue sky always has a trax in it ......

citybooster liked this post
zilze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:01 PM   #118
Elster

Likes (Received): 1079

all buildings in new York (and in the world, with very few exceptions) under 20 floors should be demolished, no matter how pretty and historical they are, the future, even my future is in 20 floors +
Elster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:11 PM   #119
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4478

I personally don't think the age really has to matter, if it's a nice building, or has beautifully crafted ornaments on, they should be preserved.
Like with this building, I wish that the golden ornaments and statues were preserved either for the design, or to be displayed on the exterior around the entrance or something

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

citybooster, Tower Dude, LeCom liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:39 PM   #120
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

I'm torn about this.

On the one hand, the ornamentation really is gorgeous, and the sort of thing we're not likely to see returning to architecture anytime soon. I hope that it isn't just thrown on a scrap heap somewhere, but perhaps put to reuse in the lobby of the new tower or elsewhere in the city (unlikely as that may be).

On the other hand, once the ornamentation has been removed, it becomes apparent that the underlying building is not itself of particular architectural merit. It raises an interesting question: whether gilded age ornamentation in itself is enough to warrant landmarking an entire building and thereby restricting future development. I'd love to see an intermediate type of landmarking that required the preservation of such ornamentation, even if the building itself were to come down (think what MoMA is doing with the facade of the Folk Museum). Obviously that wouldn't work in every case, but it might allow in some cases for a happy medium between developers and preservationists.

In my perfect world, the developer here would have done something akin to JDS and SHoP with 111 w. 57th: incorporating the original classic buildings, or at least the facades, into the base of the tower, restoring much of the interiors and exteriors, while still redeveloping enough to allow for the modern conveniences their high end tenants will demand. But alas...

Tags
31 w.57th st., new york, nyc, rizzoli