daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #1
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 14318

Nine Elms Point | Nine Elms | 126m/90m/63m | U/C

Nine Elms Point
Nine Elms
SW8

Official website: http://www.barratthomes.co.uk/new-ho...ne-Elms-Point/

Development Facts

Developer: Sainsbury’s

Architect: Rolfe Judd

Homes: 737 units

Commercial space: 1,580m²

Public open space: 7,300m²

Tower heights: 126m | 90m | 63m

-

-

jake-potato, gegloma01 liked this post

Last edited by SE9; May 30th, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #2
SE9
South East Nine

Construction work begins today to build a new Sainsbury's store, housing and business space in Nine Elms
Wandsworth Guardian
17 January 2014
Quote:
Construction work has began on a £450m project to build a new Sainsbury's store, housing and business space.

Sainsbury's, Barratt London and L&Q have joined forces to create 737 new homes on the Nine Elms regeneration site, including 92 social units.

There will also be a huge 80,000 sq ft Sainsbury's store as well as 27,000 sq ft of shops, restaurants and office space.

The development is the latest scheme on the Nine Elms regeneration site to begin construction, with the project now in full swing.

Work began last year on building the new US Embassy and reworking of Battersea Power Station, while the Riverlight flats are almost complete.

The new Sainsbury's store will create more than 300 new jobs.

There will also be an Explore Learning Centre housed within the store offering Maths and English tuition for children aged five to 14-years-old.

A temporary Sainsbury's store will be trading next to the site while the new store is being built.

Jamie Cowen, head of mixed use development at Sainsbury's, said: "The Nine Elms area of London has been identified for one of the biggest regeneration schemes in Europe, with the potential for thousands of new homes and many more businesses.

"We’ve been trading from this site for 30 years and our plans will complete the wider regeneration and create a better shopping experience as well as building space for other shops, businesses and much needed housing in the area."

Helen Fisher, programme director of Nine Elms, said: "Nine Elms on the South Bank is transforming at a rapid pace and we are thrilled to be able to add Sainsbury’s, with partners Barratt and L&Q, to the list of partners now actively regenerating the area.

"With some 30,000 new residents due to move into the area, the new improved store will be an addition that’s especially welcomed."

-

sk327 liked this post
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 801

Just went past this 30 minutes ago. The petrol station has already been demolished (the scrap is still on site though) and they're in the process of placing hoarding around the rest of the site. I'm really confident this is going to be built on schedule, everything so far is to schedule.

The temporary store is up and running, haven't been in yet but it looks like it's about the size of a Lidl or Aldi. While I can do a full shop in a Lidl, I don't trust that's the case with a Sainsbury's of the same size as I think they'll pack in too many brands of the same goods.

SE9 liked this post
Retro Specs está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Swissdave

Likes (Received): 97

It's full steam ahead on the demolition, with no hanging about at all: here is the petrol station this morning... (thanks to a slow camera I narrowly missed the poor Sainsbury's sign plunging to its death in this shot) -

image hosted on flickr

Demolition by Swissdave, on Flickr

And here it is (or was...) this evening - a heap of mangled stuff...

image hosted on flickr

Adios petrol station by Swissdave, on Flickr

This is the new temporary store - it's actually quite cleverly designed and laid out, and doesn't feel very 'temporary' at all on the inside, with a fully tiled floor, bakery, all mod cons, and plenty of space and light - a bit bigger than it looks too albeit with no central aisle.

image hosted on flickr

In with the new by Swissdave, on Flickr

This is an interesting article with photos on the construction of this store, which was built in (yes) Cambridgeshire...

The product range is a full one (notably more stock than you'd find in a 'Sainsburys Local' and quite a bit better than a Lidl in range, I reckon), and you could do a comprehensive shop there, with even a small kitchenware section - but the stock is inevitably a bit slimmed down compared to the previous store. Some teething problems too - by the time I was there the bread had all run out! Many of the nicer, more 'niche market' things there were in the old store, which were really why I used to shop there, have been lost for want of space.

The car park has a small number of spaces but a bizarrely wide circulation area, maybe designed for lorries reversing.

This will continue to do reasonably well, and is streets ahead of the small branch they recently opened underneath Vauxhall station (which is, frankly, rubbish in all respects - if you've never been there don't waste your time!). But I'm not surprised Sainsbury's are not hanging about on the redevelopment of the main side, as they'll definitely be losing trade to the likes of Tesco Oval (for big shopping trips) with this smaller floor space.

Here's a last look at the old store, with the forest of cranes behind as a reminder of why it was doomed - hoardings going up as I type...

image hosted on flickr

Last chance to see by Swissdave, on Flickr

And finally a very easy 'spot the difference' with two pictures of the old building this week -

image hosted on flickr

Going.. going... by Swissdave, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Going, going.. (2) by Swissdave, on Flickr

I get the impression that there are a few of us on SSC whose commute goes right past this site, so we'll probably have plenty of updates as this progresses!

Last edited by Swissdave; January 17th, 2014 at 10:59 PM.
Swissdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #5
SE9
South East Nine

Excellent update Swissdave

-
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #6
BelgiumKanarie

Likes (Received): 34

Awesome!
BelgiumKanarie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #7
Retro Specs

New article in Construction Enquirer today: http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...e-elms-scheme/

Old January 20th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #8
PowerOfLondon

Likes (Received): 188

This was my local supermarket up until 2010 and had been refurbished relatively recently.. certainly like the tower design though definitely makes up for it! It is yet known as to the whereabouts of nine elms station yet? As far as I'm aware it will either be situated at the far end of the car park or in that space by the bridge.
PowerOfLondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Retro Specs

I'd only heard at the end of the car park furthest away from Vauxhall on the Wandsworth Road. Having it any closer and it might as well be an entrance to Vauxhall underground. This is where the temporary store is and where the smaller of the three towers is planned - although there's some uncertainty as to whether Sainsbury's will be building the third tower there after the station is built under it or if TfL will take over that site entirely and build something else over the station.

The store is getting expanded as part of this. While the old one was the biggest Sainsbury's in the area, it did lack a few products that some of the other nearby ones stocked. Hopefully the expanded store will have space for these.
Old January 20th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #10
PowerOfLondon

Likes (Received): 188

But what of the petrol station? It is still the one we stock up from when going off to Wales and seems to be the second to shut down within a close proximity of central Vauxhall, the other of which appears to be in working order but very much disused.
PowerOfLondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Retro Specs

There's a petrol station on Albert Embankment (Texaco), one on Vauxhall Bridge Road, one further down the Wandsworth Road and one on Clapham Road all within a short distance of this.
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Swissdave

The other nearby petrol station (the disused one) is definitely not likely to reopen - as there is planning permission for the road that is currently behind it (emerging from Covent Garden fruit market) to be realigned to join Wandsworth Road there as a more normal 'T' junction. The one further down Wandsworth Road (towards Battersea, near Durrington & Amesbury Towers) has been redeveloped recently as a new petrol station and should be safe for now.

A large hole has appeared where the petrol station was, and the tanks have been removed. Yesterday it looked as though the internal clearance of reusable stock and material from the main building had finished (the fence partition between building site and the 'material stocking' area had gone), and a large digger was right next to the main building with a skip. One corner of roof near the back looked as though it was missing suggesting a symbolic 'start of demolition' might have taken place.

Meanwhile, guess who's spotted the downfall of their main rival and taken over all the advertising billboards on the Wandsworth Road? An added incentive for Sainsbury's to keep moving quickly on this build...

image hosted on flickr

DSCF5948 by Swissdave, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCF5924 by Swissdave, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCF5935 by Swissdave, on Flickr

Just looked on a map, hadn't realised how close the Kennington branch is to Vauxhall - I expect it will indeed have picked up most of the 'big shops' here.
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #13
tripleseis

Likes (Received): 21

I wish they'd properly restore that Nestle ghostsign on Wandsworth Road. I love seeing it every time I pass it on the train.

JoeFredd liked this post
tripleseis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #14
Swissdave

This is moving fast, and demolition on the main building is now well underway - diggers were at work when I went past this morning, and the whole south west corner (including what was the entrance area) has since vanished into a skip. They seem to be removing the mostly-metal 'extension' sections (which were added when the building was renovated and re-roofed a few years back) first, presumably to categorise the scrap a bit more easily.

(tripleseis, if you end up on the road itself, there's another classic ad further down the Wandsworth road in the Clapham Junction direction, for Redfern's rubber mats, remarkably well preserved thanks to having been covered by another ad until fairly recently and one of my favourites!)

Storeys, tripleseis liked this post
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:11 PM   #15
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 1866

image hosted on flickr

Vauxhall from Pascal Street by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Vauxhall Sainsbury's worksite by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Embassy Gardens u/c above Vauxhall Sainsbury's worksite by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Vauxhall towers from Wandsworth Road by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • LondonVallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkney
My website

SE9, Storeys liked this post
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #16
Retro Specs

And for the last few days there's been a small crane on site, as well as a piling machine and a fair few diggers. They seem to mainly be working where the old petrol station and car park was right now, so not on the main tower area.

Old March 13th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #17
Retro Specs

This now has a name, Nine Elms Point. Most of the old supermarket has been demolished but it's too dark to take a photo
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #18
Retro Specs

Old March 15th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #19
Retro Specs

I collected some renders from the planning apps - some have been posted, some not:

Old March 18th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #20
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 832

The tower is awful.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

cloud32 liked this post
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
nine elms, redevelopment, sainsbury's, sainsburys, wandsworth

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: