SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Please properly quote news articles.

40K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  HARTride 2012 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I've noticed that some members are not properly quoting news articles per SSC guidelines. I would like to remind everyone that because of copyright/legal reasons, we can no longer post entire news articles here in the forums. I ask that everyone please adhere to format stated in Jan's announcement when quoting news articles.

Thank you,
HARTride 2012

#2 ·
Thanks for making a note about this, Hart; it is very important to the website that we don't contravene copyright laws, and we stick to "fair usage". As much as we hate doing it, I'm afraid we will have to edit quotes that are too long and simply leave a small paragraph or so at the beginning. Please help us by posting correctly in the first place.
Thank you!! :cheers:

#3 ·
Here's an example of a local article that is formatted in the proper manner. From the Belleview Biltmore thread.

Source: FOX 13

First, 2004's unusually busy hurricane season shredded the roofs of the Belleview Biltmore. Then the passing years shredded the blue tarps.

Now there is significant water damage throughout what was formerly believed to be the world's largest occupied wooden structure.
Full Story: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/...epit-belleview-biltmore-is-a-crumbling-castle

#5 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm still seeing some members not correctly quoting news articles. THIS MUST CEASE! As Taller, Better mentioned, overly long articles will have to be shortened.

Please use the format that is outlined in post #3 of this thread. Please keep in mind that the QUOTE brackets MUST enclose the article snippet, AND a link to the full article MUST be provided.

Thank You.

#6 ·
Everyone, I'm still seeing articles that exceed the abstract limit that we need to abide by. I once again ask the you please limit news article quotes to about 100 words or less, and always post a link to the full story. I will have to shorten long articles. Thank you.

#7 ·
As a reminder, posting full-text news articles are not allowed due to reasons of needing to respect copyrights. I am still seeing members not properly quote an abstract form of an article.

Jan has recently posted a new announcement regarding this and other such matters. I ask everyone here to take a few moments to read over the policies.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/announcement.php?f=12&a=802

Posts that are not in line with these policies are subject to modification or deletion.

Thank you.

#11 ·
^It would be per each distinct 3rd party source... So if you had a post quoting three distinct articles, from three distinct sources, you could conceivably post more than 100 quoted words within your post. If they were three articles from the same publisher, then you would be wise to limit the post to reproducing only 100 words total. Concurrently, quoting multiple 100 word snippets from the same article in successive posts would also violate the concept of fair use.

I had written a global announcement like this many years ago, which explained fair use in a bit more detail, but IIRC everything I made like that had a 10 year timer on it (the software's default). So after 10 years, it automatically deleted (though it would still be accessible for Admins if they know where to look in the forum's control panel)

#13 ·
Hey everyone, I am still seeing members not properly quoting news articles. If you receive a P.M. from me kindly asking you to edit your post, then please take a few moments to do so. Regretfully, I will have to begin to go in and edit posts myself if they are left unedited.

Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.