daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #61
bench_mark_2

Likes (Received): 1306

Is the railway connection to Sofia under construction?
bench_mark_2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #62
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Likes (Received): 61617

Officially yes, but on terrain there is almost no construction works, at least they are not visible at this time.
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #63
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

No limit

Are there no regulations regarding the maximum number of passengers in Macedonian passenger coaches ?

Seems like railway security in Macedonia is on par with India.

I think that the maximum number of passengers on this train is exceeded, is it even possible to get off at the next station if you're in the middle of the waggon? If someone bought a ticket for this train and wasnt able to board it due to the passenger mayhem, will the macedonian railways refund the ticket or arrange for an additional train?

NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #64
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

This chaos happens when the train arrives... Hundreds of migrants are running towards the coaches, but then the police is reacting and returns most of them, until the train receives aprox. 200 passengers. Most of this photos are made at the beginning, when the migrants run towards the train, probably to cause certain emotions at the viewers.

Although, most of the blame for this chaos goes to the National Railroad company and the Macedonian police. The migrants are just desperate people, running from the middle eastern hell for a better life in EU.

On this photo you can see a fight between migrants who want so enter the train:

Migrants waiting for new train. Trash everywhere. Nobody is cleaning.

Migrants sleeping in front of the train station in Gevgelija, a town right next to the border with Greece:

They wanna enter the train by all the ways and means possible:

Migrants everywhere:

And finally, after the police officers will "clean up" the trains from the extra migrants:

all photos by Ognen Teofilovski/Reuters
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #65
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Thanks for the pictures, Skopsko, and good to know that the trains once moving are full but not as suffocatingly full as the other pictures imply. To my knowledge, MZ has already scheduled three trains in addition to the regular trains on this route. But I guess with just 200 passengers per train, that is far from enough. A worthwhile article on how refugees make their way through Macedonia (In German): http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/polit...,31497354.html
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #66
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

As I understood from another forum: international passengers on the route Thessaloniki - Beorgrad/Budapest can stay together in the MAV Bc, if they request on time at couchette steward in Thessaloniki.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #67
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopje/Скопје View Post
This chaos happens when the train arrives... Hundreds of migrants are running towards the coaches, but then the police is reacting and returns most of them, until the train receives aprox. 200 passengers.
Interesting. I wonder if all of them payed for the tickets, or maybe some of them tried to travel for free, but where thrown off.

I have seen african beach vendors freeriding trains without paying for the ticket on italian regional trains along the coast, one of them looks out for the conductor and if they see him, they hide in the toilet or run to another coach so they can get off the train at the next station without beeing caught.
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #68
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 809

Quote:
The migrants are just desperate people, running from the middle eastern hell for a better life in EU.
I am not buying this argument. Most of the refugees, who are transiting Macedonia, have passed Greece.
Greece is an EU member. There is also no ISIS terror there.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #69
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

theres no job in greece

suasion liked this post

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; August 19th, 2015 at 08:25 PM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #70
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
I am not buying this argument. Most of the refugees, who are transiting Macedonia, have passed Greece.
Greece is an EU member. There is also no ISIS terror there.
Can you really blame them for not wanting to stay in Greece? I mean, I generally hate migrants who try to make a run for north/western Europe, but in the case of Greece I can hardly blame them.

Quote:
Migrants waiting for new train. Trash everywhere. Nobody is cleaning.

I just hate this. Shows that these people have completely no regard for the country they are in. It is simply something to use to move on. **** that.
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 08:38 AM   #71
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Interesting. I wonder if all of them payed for the tickets, or maybe some of them tried to travel for free, but where thrown off.
Once registered at the MK authorities they have the right to transit the country in 72 hours and use for free the train to Skopje (to request asylum) or to travel to the Serbian border. There is a daily 'elektrichka' at 10:00 from Gevgelija to Tabanovce, with a stop at Skopje.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #72
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

The train is not for free They pay 10 Euros for one way ticket (Gevgelija-Tabanovce). This morning I was reading in the newspapers that many migrants started to use bus lines from Gevgelija to Skopje (11 Euros), and then use taxi to get the Macedonian-Serbian border (additional 25 Euros per person).
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #73
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
The train is not for free They pay 10 Euros for one way ticket (Gevgelija-Tabanovce). This morning I was reading in the newspapers that many migrants started to use bus lines from Gevgelija to Skopje (11 Euros), and then use taxi to get the Macedonian-Serbian border (additional 25 Euros per person).
I dont think the migrants queued at Gevgelia station booking office to buy tickets before they stormed the train. Is it possible to buy tickets directly from the conductor ?

The blue train in the photos looks like a commuter train (elektritcka) but what is the red train?

I presume that the blue commuter train is easy to ride for free without beeing caught, but the red train looks like an express train which must have a conductor.
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #74
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Yes, apparently the MZ increased ticket prices on the trains to 10 Euro recently. The red express train is most likely the Hellas Express from Thessaloniki to Beograd with through coach to Budapest. To my understanding, the refugees must leave the train before the Serbian border and find an informal way to cross it. The old blue elektrichkas (or some of them) are additional trains introduced by MZ since the refugee crisis.
Old August 20th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #75
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
The flow of migrants can actually be quite the economic boon to transit countries. Just for the end of line countries they are not.
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #76
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Latest news

The government engaged the military in order to help with the increased flow of migrants coming from Greece. The border is closed, they cannot pass trough anymore.

Macedonia declares state of emergency over surge in migrants & refugees, ready to deploy army
http://www.rt.com/news/312935-macedo...grants-crisis/
Old August 20th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #77
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Latest news

The government engaged the military in order to help with the increased flow of migrants coming from Greece. The border is closed, they cannot pass trough anymore.

Macedonia declares state of emergency over surge in migrants & refugees, ready to deploy army
http://www.rt.com/news/312935-macedo...grants-crisis/

It seems like they closed a major corridor for migrants then. The makedonian-serbian route to Hungary and the EU.

So how can't they pass through ? Do you have a wall or electric fence along the greek-makedonian border? If the migrants are able to sneak into trucks and trains in Calais so they can reach their dream destination UK, they could also find a way through Macedonia, but the big masses of migrants will not make it into the EU through the Balkans anymore which is a progress.
Old August 21st, 2015, 12:51 AM   #78
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Nerd, please spare us your idea of progress. If you ask me and several others here, it was progress that refugees can make it to countries whose economies can both support and make use of refugees by this rather safe route compared to the horrible disasters that have become common when traveling over the high seas. The rush of the last few weeks has been in part caused by Hungary's announcement that it would build a wall and so people have tried to rush through before its completion. Rather than military, the Macedonian government could have sent some garbage trucks to Gevgelija, provide some makeshift housing, and organize better transport. But no, call in the military, create panic so Macedonians get distracted from the fact that they were just about to kick their government out of office. We have seen it all before, let us hope Gruevski does not get away with it.

suasion liked this post
Old August 21st, 2015, 01:47 AM   #79
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 355

WOW!

Those pictures look like The Third World heading North- which is the case

I find it hard to accept people claiming European "moral obligations" to recieve these people when all of the rich Gulf States have only recieved a grand combined total of 1500 of their "Syrian brothers".
Old August 21st, 2015, 03:29 AM   #80
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7664

I say, come one, come all. In Serbia, you will find a free hot meal, a map and one way ticket to Europe...of which we don't want any part of

aleksandar_s liked this post
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote