daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #121
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Only P+R terminals are planned in 7 locations. There is also a plan to create a one-track tunnel bypass of Bratislava for freight transport. Bratislava and its functional region needs more frequent regional transport which is limited by the overall capacity (reaching its top in direction from Brno). Getting rid of freight transport might help.

Pressburger Bahn has no chance. There are some houses and motorway in way and its profitability and efficiency is doubtful. Don't forget there is a competing track through Kittsee. We have to discuss all infrastructure project with EIB and declare its profitability. Other sources are limited. Airport is a matter of discussions. The transport masterplan is in endorsement stage.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #122
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtonos View Post
Obviously the transition to standard gauge would bring it in line with some other tramway networks in that area, including Prague, as well as offering low floor trams with wider aisles.
Is that necessary?

Old February 20th, 2016, 05:59 PM   #123
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5962

True, Pressburger Bahn isn't really a priority and it if it were to link with Bratislava again it would function as a commuter / local rail, not primarely as a link to Vienna. But for that I guess a frequent bus linke (to Wolfsthal and Hainburg etc) is probably fully sufficient.

The freight rail bypass sounds like a good thing, probably fairly affordable yet a a benefit for freight and passanger rail.

Hopefully the link to the airport is going to happen, for the airport it would be a massive boost in attractiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Is that necessary?
No, but beneficial.
Old February 20th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #124
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Does anyone know the status of those various plans for extension / modification of the heavy rail network in Bratislava? Have all these plans been shelved or totally torn to pieces?
Volodaaaa forgot to mention that the actual mayor of Bratislava is a great fan of building a new railway station Filiálka on the edge of Bratislava city center, which should serve as the main hub of suburban rail system. European Comission is going to fund a profitability study for the station. In the second stage, the tunnel linking this station with Petržalka could be built.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

Slartibartfas liked this post
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 01:11 AM   #125
Slartibartfas

Sounds like a major thing but far away and who knows if it will lead somewhere. But how would such a station connect to the track heading towards Devinsky Nova Ves? Or would trains from there continue to use Hl. stanica instead?
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:00 PM   #126
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrafel View Post
Volodaaaa forgot to mention that the actual mayor of Bratislava is a great fan of building a new railway station Filiálka on the edge of Bratislava city center, which should serve as the main hub of suburban rail system. European Comission is going to fund a profitability study for the station. In the second stage, the tunnel linking this station with Petržalka could be built.
I did not mention it deliberately as, AFAIK, delegates of EC always get angry when they hear the word "Filialka" and we do not have sufficient national sources to do it without EU funds.

They want us to do a regional railway masterplan of Bratislava hub and then speak about Filialka, but no such thing is underway at the MoT.

Frankly said, Filialka is only mayor's wet dream for the time being.

For those who are not interested:

The red broken line is "Filialka" project. It envisage a tunnel below Danube river. The are only two problems:
1) you can already connect "Rača" station and "Hlavná stanica" station with "Petržalka". There were passenger trains operating until 2011, but they were definitely cancelled as they served for only a few passengers.
2) a brand new tramway is undergoing final inspection these days that is competitive to the proposed heavy railway. I doubt EC will support such wasting of money.

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by volodaaaa; February 21st, 2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old February 21st, 2016, 04:12 PM   #127
Slartibartfas

Demanding a masterplan for a Bratislava hub sounds reasonable. If the authorities can't manage to make one, well, I guess then it is only them to blame. Especially when we are talking about a project of tremendous costs like the one above.

How long did it take the previous Petrzalka-hl. st. trains to cover that distance? The bus needs 12 min, so with transfer and waiting time around 15-20 min.

The tram is no real competition as of now, as it does not directly connect with heavy rail in Petrzalka and because it is for more local transportation. That doesn't mean that the Filiaka plan looks sound to me. I would look into the possibility of connecting heavy real with the tram as the rail corridor actually crosses already now. It would merely need the construction of a transfer station at the crossing point. And this whole thing would be probably making the most sense if it were part with a Letisko
connector whereas the airport would be the terminal station.

But these things should be part of a PT masterplan.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:51 AM   #128
volodaaaa

Heavy railway is not the best for urban transport. The major problem is the frequency of departures and that the current local trains are also waiting for transfers in central station from fast trains and expresses. I had a period when I used them for commuting and it was like scheduled departure at x:16, but then we waited for one delayed fast train, then there was express train and finally, we left at x:48. I don't know how much it took from central station to Petržalka, but it was surely slower than by common PT and it literally carried only air.

Railway masterplan is not necessary for that as everyone knows this project is not profitable at all. Not even when we consider there are plans to double and electrify the track Bratislava - Vienna through Marchegg and there is a bus line between those stations (central st. - Petrzalka) leaving every 4 minutes in peak hour:

https://imhd.sk/ba/cestovny-poriadok...a/943718929444

Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:44 PM   #129
Slartibartfas

Heavy rail serves a different purpose indeed. It is more of a regional metropolitan link. Ie a suburban commuter link. And it is the more efficient at doing that job the more efficient its inner urban transfers are. Think of the various S-Bahn / RER networks in cities of very different sizes.

Does Bratislava have anything comparable? It doesn't really sound like it, according your story. I guess it might be due to limitations in the network capacity.

I wonder how you manage profitability for any PT network. While cost effective projects are of course an important thing, I doubt there are many PT projects in Europe which operate at a meaningful profit. I do agree with you however, that the Filiaka plan is probably not cost effective either.

PS: A bus link between stations just isn't the same as a transfer free direct link. I can guarantee you that from the Viennese experience. It is however incredibly difficult to establish direct links, in Vienna it took more than a century.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:01 AM   #130
volodaaaa

Sorry for providing you with some misinformation. No, operation of PT in Bratislava is not profitable at all. By term "profitable" I meant less expensive.

The heavy rail transport is used in Bratislava in full range. The integrated transport system have been operating since November. The only exception is track to Dunajská Streda as it is operated by private operator (that took some time to evaluate how it works).

Construction of Filialka would definitely extend the railway network in Bratislava. But I doubt it would provide any new attractive connection given the anticipated astronomical costs. Furthermore, there were trains operating between Central Station and Petrzalka until 2011 as I've mentioned earlier. I completely forgot to mention InterCity trains that were providing transport between those two stations before 2011 too. They were literally empty.

Suburbanization towards Austria and Hungary is too weak to fill up a train and there are no traffic congestion so the train would not be competitive at all. There are bus lines integrated to urban PT.

Old March 9th, 2016, 04:58 PM   #131
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

First visuals of the second stage of Petržalka tramway track were revealed.

Full article and more visuals here (for the English translation scroll down).

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

dimlys1994, Tramwayman liked this post
Old May 5th, 2016, 02:26 AM   #132
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

All 60 low-floor trams were delivered and are now operational in Bratislava streets

Untitled by Andrey Simakov, on Flickr

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

dimlys1994, arctic_carlos, Rombi liked this post
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #133
volodaaaa

I never tend to be localpatriotic, but the trams are real beauties.

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:15 AM   #134
Andrej_LJ

Likes (Received): 5204

Very nice trams. What was the price that Bratislava paid for those 60 pieces?
Andrej_LJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #135
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Around 120 million €. It was paid mostly by the EU.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Old May 8th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #136
volodaaaa

I think 2,5 € million per bidirectional.

Old May 10th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #137
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Suburbanization towards Austria and Hungary is too weak to fill up a train and there are no traffic congestion so the train would not be competitive at all. There are bus lines integrated to urban PT.
OTOH that also implies that that part of the metro is seriously underdeveloped. Redevelopment schemes around stations in that area might be worth serious consideration (depending on the current 30-year housing needs outlook or w/e).
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 06:35 AM   #138
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Some Recent videos from Timosha21

Električky v Bratislave - Trams in Bratislava, Slovakia, 2016

Old Passenger Trains of Slovakia - Osobné vlaky Slovenska

Autobusov v Bratislave - Buses in Bratislava, Slovakia, 2016

Trolejbusy v Bratislave - Trolleybuses in Bratislava, Slovakia 2016

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #139
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Trams returned to Štúrova Street

The trams, numbers 1, 4, 6 and 7 were restored, while the X13 bus was cancelled.
The trams were restored at Štúrova Street and Vajanského Nábrežie embankment on June 15.

They were scrapped from the time schedules in January 2014 due to the construction works on the Old Bridge and nearby streets within the first phase of the new transport system whose aim is to connect the Old Town with Petržalka by tram. As a result, trams 1, 4, and 6 returned to their original route, while the tram number 7 will start operating again, the TASR newswire reported.

With the return of trams, Štúrova Street will live again and will be fully used by Bratislavans, said capital’s Mayor Ivo Nesrovnal.

http://spectator.sme.sk/c/20191632/t...va-street.html

dimlys1994, Andrej_LJ liked this post
subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #140
Slartibartfas

Congratulations Bratislava!
Looks good and a lot more attractive for non-car uses than before.

When is the tram line to Petrzalka due to open and is Starý Most already open for pedestrians and cyclists?