daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #161
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5090

Bratislava won't have the metro, there will be an announcement tomorrow (probably) about the new high-capacity transportation system, that could be built in a span of few years. And it's not hyperloop.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Amrafel; March 6th, 2017 at 11:43 PM.
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #162
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

So, as promised, here we go

Quote:
Developer HB Reavis is ready to start the construction of Stanica Nivy, a massive mixed-use complex with the new coach station, shopping centre and offices. This complex, alongside with other finished or planned developments in the area of the new Bratislava downtown, will dramatically influence the life of the city. Because of that, HB Reavis also announced its intention to build the new high-capacity transportation system in form of overground electrical rail - monorail.

Monorail will link the new downtown with the transformation area next to Bratislava harbour and development area on the right bank of Danube, where Nové Lido zone is located, as well as the largest housing estate in Bratislava, Petržalka, and Economical University with thousands of students. Nové Lido station should also contain P+R parking facility that should prevent drivers to go to the downtown by car. Developer is trying to get the status of "the investment of high importance" what would allow him to get the the approvals sooner. If that will be a case, new monorail could be finished at the same time as the coach station, thus in 2020. Estimated cost is 50 millions EUR, 30 millions EUR should be the price of P+R.
http://bratislavayimby.blogspot.sk/2...ho-centra.html

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

Danton05, dimlys1994, steedness liked this post
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #163
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5962

Is this a serious proposal or some crazy project from some investor aiming for some subsidies?
I fail to see the advantage over improved bus service along that corridor, especially as busses would actually connect more than merely two investor real estates and would link up the whole thing to the actual centre of Bratislava as well. And if busses are not good enough, go straight for light rail cut that monorail nonsense no one needs.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #164
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Is this a serious proposal
I had to check my calendar to make sure it's not 1st April. So this announcement is a few weeks too early.

Slartibartfas liked this post
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #165
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Basically not a bad idea. But the details are quite unclear. Would it be cable-car, tram or chairlift or what? There has been numerous suggestions and proposals like that in Bratislava (or Slovakia) and how many of them were turn real? Hm... none.

It is cool that there is an investor willing to (finally) contribute to public transport, but it should be systematic. Like a tram with 1000mm gauge connected to the rest of the tram network. Also, according to the first plans it is only to serve the northern part of Petržalka, let's extend it more south (with city co-financing).

I am afraid this is another April fooling.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #166
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Quote:
Is this a serious proposal or some crazy project from some investor aiming for some subsidies?
I fail to see the advantage over improved bus service along that corridor, especially as busses would actually connect more than merely two investor real estates and would link up the whole thing to the actual centre of Bratislava as well. And if busses are not good enough, go straight for light rail cut that monorail nonsense no one needs.
They declare that they don't want the financial subsidies. They want to get this "special investment" status what means that they could get approvals really soon, as the process usually takes ages in Slovakia (for the bus station & mall, they waited for ten years).

The problems with the light rail are two: (1) You can't build light rail track on Apollo bridge, the bridge was not constructed to carry light rail. The bridge is getting more and more packed every year, so the bus service between the two developments would not be that quick, altough it would be more flexible. (2) The city government would have to be more cooperative but it's not. They (developers) can't just build light rail without connection to the existing system, however, the city lacks experts who would be able to prepare the project in the near time as well at it lacks real interest. The city hall is in the state of chaos at the moment as the mayor is completely incompetent. Unfortunately, this is not Vienna with the mayor of years-long experience and expertise.

So, the bottom line for the developer is this: They will build massive developments in the area which will attract tens of thousands of people, together with other developments by the other developers. The existing roads are on the verge of collapse. They need to link the development on the right bank of Danube (Nové Lido) to the city center, as Nové Lido is cut from the city by river and motorway. There is, furthermore, new parking policy in the city that will make parking in the area more expensive. And they are not able to use the existing light rail infrastructure as the city is not cooperative enough.

From this point of view, I completely understand why HB Reavis wants to do it this way. I can hardly imagine any other solution where cost-benefit ratio would be better than some kind of monorail & P+R. I am very curious about the outcome of the plan, however, there are still not enough information to clearly say if it will be good or bad for the city.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #167
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 529

Monorail? hahahahahahahaa

They should build TGD (Tricable Detachable Gondola) capacity is 7000 p/h per direction. More then enough.
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #168
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

That's an option as well. However, form my discussion with the developer, monorail is the preferred option.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #169
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrafel View Post
That's an option as well. However, form my discussion with the developer, monorail is the preferred option.
Hahah jeez what a buch of idiots sitting there Why would you pay 20 times more for the stupid monorail system? when a cable car would be thousand times frequent. aesthetically less obstaculous. and the most important Superbly cheap.

rheintram liked this post
Old March 9th, 2017, 02:48 AM   #170
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Monorail?
It reminds me some US cities trying to impress others with their monorails as a public transportations "solutions" (Detroit).... but this is Central Europe!
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #171
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

In some photos I saw some kind of dual gauge tram tracks, that is two rails are paired. Is it for stronger track-bed? Or some kind of mixed or multi-gauge tram service like Sofia?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #172
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
In some photos I saw some kind of dual gauge tram tracks, that is two rails are paired. Is it for stronger track-bed? Or some kind of mixed or multi-gauge tram service like Sofia?
They just put for tram train some kind of service but in fact it was a lie they never intended to built one, just to get funding.

Ashis Mitra liked this post
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:00 PM   #173
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramwayman View Post
They just put for tram train some kind of service but in fact it was a lie they never intended to built one, just to get funding.
That is wrong. But it is indeed the monument of the stupidity of our decision-makers.

If you look at the tramway network of Bratislava, you'll see a bottleneck in the city centre. The tram is not fast enough for tangential journeys because it gets stuck in the centre.

Some decision-makers did not care about that, they just had a dream about tram-train (which is completely waste of money). So they insisted to build a double-gauge section to be prepared for it. Once the European Commission realised what kind of stupidity had been funded, they refuse to provide financial resources for non-1000mm-gauge solutions in Bratislava in the next programming cycle.

Thus it was not due to drawing on some money, it was despite of.

Ashis Mitra liked this post
Old March 11th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #174
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrafel View Post
The problems with the light rail are two:...
That explains why good solutions are not possible but it creates no case for wasting money on the bad option monorail. A monorail bridge doesn't come for free either and is of very limited use. I'd say it is probably the least value for money of all alternatives, even if it were private money it would be still wasted money.

If infrastructure is so overloaded as you say and Apollo bridge is so packed that not even an upgraded bus line can be accomodated in a reliable and swift fashion then this does sound like the only reasonable solution is a new bridge, a two lane bridge, either with tracks or designed for later streetcar upgrade would be already sufficent if money is an issue. I seriously doubt such a bridge would be much more expensive than a monorail bridge. And if that is no option, I have to agree with Tramwayman, tell me a rational reason why not building a cable car instead of a monorail, if you really want to just go for the glorrified ferry concept.
Old March 11th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #175
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Based on the topographical easiness on the part where they want to build a monorail it will be super cheap to build Tricable Detachable Gondola (the most modern type of cable car). Doppelmayr & Garaventa Group or Leitner & Poma Group will be more then willing to do.

Monorail is a complete EXPENSIVE AND UGLY nonsense. Especially in a historical European city.

Slartibartfas, rheintram liked this post
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #176
Slartibartfas

Indeed. Doppelmayr systems can be upscaled even to capacities beyond of what is probably planned for the monorail there, while infrastructure is a lot cheapher and less intrusive. Moreover this system is made for crossing geographical obstacles like no other means of transport. The huge downside is that you can't integrate it without transfer into larger networks but same is true for that monorail proposal. So if you want to create an isolated line of that length with only 4 stops, I really can't come up with a single reason why it should be monorail and not a cable car system.
Old March 12th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #177
volodaaaa

Quote:
Indeed. Doppelmayr systems can be upscaled even to capacities beyond of what is probably planned for the monorail there, while infrastructure is a lot cheapher and less intrusive. Moreover this system is made for crossing geographical obstacles like no other means of transport. The huge downside is that you can't integrate it without transfer into larger networks but same is true for that monorail proposal. So if you want to create an isolated line of that length with only 4 stops, I really can't come up with a single reason why it should be monorail and not a cable car system.
The city needs trams.
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:59 AM   #178
Slartibartfas

?? Yes, but if it they don't come up with them, monorail is no solution. As tramwayman said, what is the point of choosing monorail over a gondola system?
Old March 13th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #179
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4188

The tramway is an extension of the existing system and they can score a deal to buy new trams in bulk for the rest of the system. If you build a monorail, it will be a short crappy system just enough to cross the river, and few people would use it. People would prefer a one seat ride to wherever they are going.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

volodaaaa, Slartibartfas liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #180
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramwayman View Post
Based on the topographical easiness on the part where they want to build a monorail it will be super cheap to build Tricable Detachable Gondola (the most modern type of cable car). Doppelmayr & Garaventa Group or Leitner & Poma Group will be more then willing to do.

Monorail is a complete EXPENSIVE AND UGLY nonsense. Especially in a historical European city.
Part of the city where this project is intended to be built is not historical or not even in European fashion It reminds more of a small American downtown.

However, things change quickly in Bratislava. Developer just sent me the updated information: It seems that it will be a cable car, with the overall capacity of three- to four-thousand people a hour, there are six different versions of cabins, out of them one with the capacity of 10-15 people, another one with the capacity of 40 people. It should take 8 minutes to get from the first station to the last one.

Just btw, project should be funded entirely by the private company so no public finances will be spent. Even if they build it and it won't be that used, the city will get some tourist attraction at least.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.