daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #1
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Signing smaller and farther towns instead of larger and closer

Screw the title. Do you know of signs which show certain cities or towns, but not cities/towns which are larger and closer? For example, some old signs in Moscow still show Brest (Belarus, on the Polish border), but not Minsk, even though it's larger and closer (and even the capital of Belarus). That's because Brest was the last city in the USSR before the Polish border. (click to see the route)

Some examples from Slovenia:

- in Ljubljana we sign Villach, but not Klagenfurt (you need more time to get there though) (route)
- we often sign Jesenice instead of Kranj (route)
- in Maribor they usually sign Lendava instead of Murska Sobota (route)
- in Koper they sign Portorož, but not Izola (route)

In Bern (Switzerland) they usually sign Interlaken instead of Thun (route) and in Budapest they sign Nyíregyháza instead of Miskolc (route).

Do you know more examples? You can also show pictures of signs.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #2
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

http://goo.gl/maps/nVs4J

Jędrzychowice/Zgorzelec/Lubawka (border crossings) instead of Legnica/Jelenia Góra (102.708/84.564 citizens).

Another one: http://goo.gl/maps/zsJNY

Kudowa Słone (border croissing) instead of Kłodzko (centre of the Kłodzko Valley, on the Nysa Kłodzka river, seat of Kłodzko County, and 28.250 inhabitatnts).

And many more...
a za oknem słonko świeci.

Verso, Moravian liked this post

Last edited by pmaciej7; February 17th, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #3
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Italy, Verona, A4-A22 junction
It's signposted Brennero, but not Trento and Bolzano.

Italy, Sesto al Reghena, junction A28
It's signposted Conegliano but not Pordenone.

Italy, Conegliano, A27-A28 junction
It's signposted Portogruaro but not Pordenone.

Italy, Bologna, A13-A14 junction
It's signposted Ancona but not Rimini and Forlì.

Italy, Udine, Piazzale Osoppo
Are signposted Tolmezzo and Tarvisio but not Tavagnacco and Gemona.
It's signposted Lignano but not Latisana.
(and green motorway exagons within blue signs aren't allowed by the highway code)

Italy, Udine, SS676-SR352 junction
It's signposted Grado but not Cervignano.

Italy, Genoa, A26-A10 junction
It's signposted Ventimiglia but not Savona, Imperia and San Remo.

Croatia, Pula\Pola, beginning of the A9
It's signposted Umag\Umago but not Porec\Parenzo, Rovinj\Rovigno and Pazin\Pisino.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Verso, Moravian liked this post

Last edited by italystf; February 17th, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #4
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Finnish road 21 (a part of E8) is signposted from Tornio to Kilpisjärvi. Kilpisjärvi has less than a hundred inhabitants and is the end of the road (E8 continues to Tromsø, though). Kilpisjärvi is not even the centre of its municipality (Enontekiö). Before Enontekiö, the road passes through the municipalities of Ylitornio, Pello, Kolari and Muonio and all of their respective centra with the same names, all larger than Enontekiö, let alone Kilpisjärvi.

EDIT: Street View link added: https://maps.google.fi/?ll=65.844585...289.18,,0,5.78 (Zoom and you'll actually see the distances to both Kilpisjärvi and Ylitornio; however Kilpisjärvi is the control destination)

Verso liked this post

Last edited by OulaL; February 18th, 2014 at 12:42 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Some examples from Slovenia:

- in Ljubljana we sign Villach, but not Klagenfurt (you need more time to get there though) (route)
- we often sign Jesenice instead of Kranj (route)
- in Maribor they usually sign Lendava instead of Murska Sobota (route)
- in Koper they sign Portorož, but not Izola (route)

In Bern (Switzerland) they usually sign Interlaken instead of Thun (route) and in Budapest they sign Nyíregyháza instead of Miskolc (route).
I forgot links to street view:

- Villach instead of Klagenfurt in Ljubljana
- Jesenice instead of Kranj in A2 interchanges
- Lendava instead of Murska Sobota in Maribor
- Portorož instead of Izola in Koper
- Brežice instead of Krško in Novo mesto (slightly smaller and slightly farther but more stupidly, there's no Zagreb or at least "HR")

- Interlaken instead of Thun in Bern
- Nyíregyháza instead of Miskolc in Budapest
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7153

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Italy, Verona, A4-A22 junction
It's signposted Brennero, but not Trento and Bolzano.
Brennero is one end of the motorway in this case (the other one being Modena), and the border to Austria, rather than the village itself. The motorway is called "Autostrada del Brennero" or "Brennero-Modena", when you say "Direzione Brennero" it's like saying "northbound".

The whole motorway is named after the Brenner Pass, both in Austria and Italy (Brenner Autobahn - Autostrada del Brennero).
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Verso
Islander

Usually there are good reasons why they sign a smaller, farther town, but we post all of them here.

Tarvisio instead of Udine by Trieste (I'd rather see Udine).

Last edited by Verso; February 17th, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #8
Verso
Islander

In Nova Gorica they sign Bovec instead of Tolmin. It's even signed on H4 (it must be the smallest Slovenian town signed from 99 km away (1,600 inhabitants)).

This sign in Ljubljana shows Zidani Most instead of Trbovlje (Litija is signed though).

Are there any signs for Salzburg instead of Linz in Vienna? I think I've seen some.

Last edited by Verso; February 18th, 2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #9
italystf

Quote:
In Nova Gorica they sign Bovec instead of Tolmin. It's even signed on H4 (it must be the smallest Slovenian town signed from 99 km away (1,600 inhabitants)).

This sign in Ljubljana shows Zidani Most instead of Trbovlje (Litija is signed though).

Are there any signs for Salzburg instead of Linz in Vienna? I think I've seen some of them.
What cities are signposted on the A2 south of Vienna? Graz, Klagenfurt or Villach? I don't remember.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #10
Verso
Islander

^ Only Graz. In Graz they sign Klagenfurt, in Klagenfurt they sign Villach.
Old February 18th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #11
Verso
Islander

Now I remembered that many (if not most) signs in Graz show Salzburg instead of Linz; I was quite surprised about that. But I don't have any photo atm (Austria needs street view).
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

I am pretty sure that they must still be some signs somwhere in Croatia (Zagreb area) signing to Lipovac (border with Serbia) instead of Slavonski Brod.
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #13
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Now I remembered that many (if not most) signs in Graz show Salzburg instead of Linz; I was quite surprised about that. But I don't have any photo atm (Austria needs street view).
Considering even dash cameras prohibited, I guess we won't see street view for a while
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #14
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Considering even dash cameras prohibited, I guess we won't see street view for a while
Dash cameras on moving vehicles are not prohibited.
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #15
italystf

I too heard that dashcams are forbidden in Austria, but maybe Street View is allowed because he blurs faces and license plates.
Few years ago the Romanian site norc.ro introduced a sort of Street View in many European cities including Vienna but now the site was shut down some months ago.
Google has announced that it wouldn't expand the Street View in Germany because in that country every homeowner has the right to ask for have his entired house blurred and Google doesn't want troubles. Fortunately major German cities are already covered, but not autobahnnen and rural areas,
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #16
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I too heard that dashcams are forbidden in Austria, but maybe Street View is allowed because he blurs faces and license plates.
Few years ago the Romanian site norc.ro introduced a sort of Street View in many European cities including Vienna but now the site was shut down some months ago.
Google has announced that it wouldn't expand the Street View in Germany because in that country every homeowner has the right to ask for have his entired house blurred and Google doesn't want troubles. Fortunately major German cities are already covered, but not autobahnnen and rural areas,
There was an SSC dicussion about the surveillance law in Austria some months ago.

IIRC, what is technically forbidden would be, say, a stationary camera that films the street from a hidden place in a parked car. Some forumers that know German wrote that filming yourself while driving, or using a Go-Pro camera while skiing or hiking wouldn't fit the definition of surveillance.
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #17
ww87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
I am pretty sure that they must still be some signs somwhere in Croatia (Zagreb area) signing to Lipovac (border with Serbia) instead of Slavonski Brod.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=45.21387...,46.67,,2,7.44
ww87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #18
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Nice. I found this one (Sl.Brod is signed, but not via the A3)
https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=Po...,219.84,,1,3.3
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #19
Verso
Islander

Has Vienna overtaken Budapest in size? Anyway, we sign Budapest, but not Vienna (a little stupid example, I know ).
Old February 18th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #20
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

Quote:
Route: http://goo.gl/maps/aWueg. What a mess....

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

Verso liked this post
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote