daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #21
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

I like picture A: For (SLO), follow Slowenien

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #22
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

In Kharkiv (eastern Ukraine) they sign Warsaw instead of Kiev.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriswe...7617912192292/

Rombi liked this post

Last edited by Verso; February 19th, 2014 at 12:34 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #23
Verso
Islander

In Zurich they usually sign St. Gallen instead of Winterthur (it's probably too close for a control city).
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #24
Verso
Islander

Ljubljana used to be signed west of Belgrade, but not Sarajevo:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7291/19968l.jpg
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #25
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Sarajevo is not on the route from Beograd to Ljubljana
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #26
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I was about to ask....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #27
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Sarajevo is not on the route from Beograd to Ljubljana
It is until Ruma. That's why they replaced the sign with this one:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/41923250
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #28
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Cologne.They sign Antwerpen instead of Bruxelles

Switzerland A12.They sign Simplon instead of Montreux,Martigny,Sion,Sierre,Brig

Malmedy instead of Schleiden

Donauwörth instead of Ingolstadt

Old February 19th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #29
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
Cologne.They sign Antwerpen instead of Bruxelles
No, Antwerpen goes via the Netherlands here and not via Brussels. Those roads split up east of Aachen.
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #30
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Donauwörth instead of Ingolstadt
From the location of this sign, Donauwörth is before Ingolstadt, not behind it. Though I wonder what causes this town, on the intersecting B2, to be signposted from so far out. I can see why Malmédy is signposted on the other German sign. It is a prominent town on a road that will intersect shortly. But signposting a not so prominent town on a road that won't intersect before long seems odd.

Quote:
Cologne.They sign Antwerpen instead of Bruxelles.
Different routes, not a smaller town further afield along the same route. The references to Antwerp along the German A4, the Dutch A76 and the Belgian E314 go back to the days of the old E-numbering system when there was one route between Antwerp and Aachen, with a TOTSO at Lummen. While no longer bearing one number, this part of the A4 is still used pretty heavily by trucks heading to the North Sea port of Antwerp, probably much more so than Brussels-bound traffic. I have been told, by the way, that there used to be one sign for Bonn when leaving Brussels on the E40. Nice one for German delegates returning from EU or NATO duty in the days that Bonn was the capital of the FRG. Though no longer existing, it qualifies nicely for this thread.

Anyway, most of the focal points referred in this thread are either the result of (i) the large city being too close to serve as control city or (ii) the use of signposting principles where the terminus of a road is used rather than intermittant points. Names of mountain passes signposted in Switzerland and elsewhere are the result of the strategic/narrow-pass function of those passes in national and international corridors and therefore would not count in my view.

I'm a bit fascinated though by the choice to signpost Salzburg in Graz, which is neither on a road leasing out of Graz (not even an historical route number), nor on a road that is used by an overwhelming majority of users on a route that leads out of Graz. But that's Austria to you...

Last edited by -Pino-; February 19th, 2014 at 11:46 PM.
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #31
Verso
Islander

Antwerp(en) and Brussels are pretty much equally distanced from Cologne/Köln, if you go via NL. I know that Brussels is signed via Ličge (which is a bit longer than via NL, and thus also a bit farther than Antwerpen), but that one is already signed. However, I'd sign Brussels as well.
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #32
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
I'm a bit fascinated though by the choice to signpost Salzburg in Graz, which is neither on a road leasing out of Graz (not even an historical route number), nor on a road that is used by an overwhelming majority of users on a route that leads out of Graz. But that's Austria to you...
I was surprised as well, but I think it makes more sense than at the first glance. I guess the main destination from Graz northbound is Germany (especially for Balkan workers who prefer driving via Graz instead of Ljubljana, because it's cheaper). Linz lies slightly too northerly, more like direction CZ. And Wels is a tad too small.
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #33
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

I wouldn't regard Linz as direction CZ only, as it also forms the access to the A3 and thus the most direct route into North-Western Europe and Scandinavia. I appreciate that A3-bound traffic will not actually pass Linz as you travel North, but I consider it close enough to serve as control city. But I'm pretty sure that the Austrians followed your reasoning, considered Linz out of the main direction and thus picked Salzburg as the first major town in the direction of Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Antwerp(en) and Brussels are pretty much equally distanced from Cologne/Köln, if you go via NL. I know that Brussels is signed via Ličge (which is a bit longer than via NL, and thus also a bit farther than Antwerpen), but that one is already signed. However, I'd sign Brussels as well.
The route to Brussels via The Netherlands was only completed in the late 1980s, the Lummen - Leuven leg was completed well after the route Aachen - Lummen and Ličge - Lummen - Antwerpen. The focal points on the Dutch A76 and around Aachen had already been picked by then and it was clearly not considered required to change when the new route to Brussels became available. Per German signposting tradition, Antwerpen was the obvious focal point beyond Aachen on the A4. First larger towns on the other side of the border. Except in the border area itself, you'll rarely find a second foreign focal point per direction.

For the A44/E40, Ličge was probably given the nod over Brussels as it is the first major city on the Belgian side of the border. Again, that's in line with general German principles and on top of that Brussels is not signposted once one crosses into Belgium. Still, I agree with you that adding Brussels would not hurt.

Verso liked this post

Last edited by -Pino-; February 19th, 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #34
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
I wouldn't regard Linz as direction CZ only, as it also forms the access to the A3 and thus the most direct route into North-Western Europe and Scandinavia. I appreciate that A3-bound traffic will not actually pass Linz as you travel North, but I consider it close enough to serve as control city. But I'm pretty sure that the Austrians followed your reasoning, considered Linz out of the main direction and thus picked Salzburg as the first major town in the direction of Germany.
Then again, if they sign "Wien (H)" in Graz, they could also sign "Linz (D)". After all, if you want to sign Germany, you sign Germany, not Salzburg. There is no sign for Graz in Salzburg either, plus, Linz is much shorter to write.

-Pino- liked this post
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #35
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18752

http://goo.gl/maps/z7Jgp
Augustów (31k inhabitants) instead of closer Ostrołęka (54k inhabitants and significant administrative unit) or Łomża (63k and also a significant administrative unit)

http://goo.gl/maps/7w46E
Only a border village and a city in a neighboring country. There are at least 5 Polish cities with over 100k inhabitants on the way... but you won't find them on such signage.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #36
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Here (Cologne,Autobahnkreuz Köln West) and on the A61 route they always sign Venlo but not Mönchengladbach

Signing Emden instead of Lingen or Nordhorn

Signed Simplon (325 inhabitants) instead of every village that lies between this point and simplon

Remich instead of Grevenmacher

Old February 19th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #37
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

This thread can go on forever with photos of signs referring to road termini around relatively small towns, and then for another zillion of years with signs referring to bridges, tunnels and mountain passes that of course do not have any inhabitants. Double dip opportunities for narrow-passes that double as the name of a small village...

So who posts a nice example of a larger town left out in favour of something that is not a road terminus or a narrow-pass?

Verso liked this post
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #38
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I believe signage leaving Buffalo (New York state) on I-90/the New York State Thruway eastbound gives Albany as the control city. Albany's on the other side of the state, and it's the state capital (and an Interstate junction) but 90/the Thruway passes through the suburbs of the larger cities of Rochester and Syracuse en route.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #39
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
http://goo.gl/maps/z7Jgp
Augustów (31k inhabitants) instead of closer Ostrołęka (54k inhabitants and significant administrative unit) or Łomża (63k and also a significant administrative unit)
I suppose Augustów is signed for traffic going to Lithuania, so you don't have to search for a control city every 100 km or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
http://goo.gl/maps/7w46E
Only a border village and a city in a neighboring country. There are at least 5 Polish cities with over 100k inhabitants on the way... but you won't find them on such signage.
That is extreme even for Polish standards. They should at least sign Gliwice in my opinion.
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #40
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Signed Simplon (325 inhabitants) instead of every village that lies between this point and simplon

Simplon refers mostly to the pass\border crossing (like Brennero, Tarvisio, Ventimiglia,...) rather to the small village itself. Everybody bound to Italy know he must follow Simplon, maybe not everybody would know, for example, Brig, a larger town before the pass.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote