daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #3701
Brad
voyageur

Likes (Received): 4163

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
That is one thing... I also don't get why in the hell all those investments started allmost at once. It looks like it was totally central planned (not only the urban structure but development as well), because I doubt that suddenly there was shuch a demand for offices that in 5-10 years time they had to build all those towers in similiar height, architecture and in one place. What's the deal with that, how does it work?
Russia started its transition to capitalism in 1992/ It took 10 years to recover from the resession. In the USSR there had been few offices. So the new capitalistic society demanded new office buildings. Moscow decided to build them in one district.

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #3702
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

ROTTERDAM

Rotterdam Harbour by realseal, on Flickr

werner10, vinttt, Rivaille, Basnix liked this post
SASH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #3703
nervyzombie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMBA View Post
Thanx for posting these wonderful pictures! Warsaw is by far and large my favourite skyline in Europe.
Well balanced (avoids madrid's all in a row effect), not boring (Paris, with too many buildings same height), not too dense cluster (Moscow), no tacky buildings (Moscow and partially London), wonderful integration in pre-existing environment, preventing fake effect (unlike Frankfurt). Of course this is just my opinion
Warsaw has not even one good looking skyscraper. Actually if Madrid and Moscow would be not that horribly planned they would look a way better, also if Paris would be higher. Quality of warsaw skyline is really bad, height is bad, there is also definetly too few of skyscrapers there and they are planned pretty randomly, the thing is in Europe there is no good skylines at all so even mid sized poor eastern european city like Warsaw is in top 10.
nervyzombie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #3704
BobiRobi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervyzombie View Post
Warsaw has not even one good looking skyscraper. ...........'' Quality of warsaw skyline is really bad, height is bad, there is also definetly too few of skyscrapers there and they are planned pretty randomly, the thing is in Europe there is no good skylines at all so even mid sized poor eastern european city like Warsaw is in top 10.
I agree but only 50%. You are right that for example in Warsaw there should be more skyscrapers and especially around area of Palace of Culture and warsaw city core. The Libeskind tower is not enough to say Warsaw is Best Modern European Skyline. It needs to be more invested in the centrum. From another side Warsaw have a lot of green areas and potential abilities to develop . Big cities in the world have centers already done. So what can they do more? Demolish? Not all are nice .Some are too crowded Too large Too big scale . Not for human sometimes.
BobiRobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #3705
elkabel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Warsaw has not even one good looking skyscraper. Actually if Madrid and Moscow would be not that horribly planned they would look a way better, also if Paris would be higher. Quality of warsaw skyline is really bad, height is bad, there is also definetly too few of skyscrapers there and they are planned pretty randomly, the thing is in Europe there is no good skylines at all so even mid sized poor eastern european city like Warsaw is in top 10.
Imo Moscow has better Skyline than Warsaw but there is no way that we could say this about Madrid. This city dont have real skyline but just 4 skyscrapers ( yep, very high but in middle of nowhere.... If there would be some 70/100/120 m towers, its skyline could be way better...
Skyline isnt made only by this highest buildings...
So for now Moscow > Warsaw > Madrid....

KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by elkabel; October 10th, 2014 at 04:17 PM.
elkabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #3706
JanVL

Likes (Received): 81872

Quote:
I won't answer your esthetic opinion, but just to help your facts the Gdp p/c (PPP) of Warsaw has overtaken Vienna this year and is also above Rome, Madrid and Lisbon.

http://www.bruegel.org/nc/blog/detai...FcGtbs.twitter

Warsaw is also bigger in population than Barcelona, Milan, Prague, Brussels, Amsterdam, ... being the 10th biggest city in Europe, so I wouldn't call it really mid-sized.
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #3707
markfos
San Escobar

Likes (Received): 4277

@ nervyzombie = Nubian_Warrior

Apfelsaft liked this post
markfos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #3708
nervyzombie
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabel View Post
Imo Moscow has better Skyline than Warson but there is no way that we could say this aboud Madrid. This city dont have real skyline but just 4 skyscrapers ( yep, very high but in middle of nowhere.... IT there would be some 70/100/120 m tower, its skyline could be way better...
Skyline isnt made only by this hoghest buildings...
So for now Moscow > Warsaw > Madrid....
Of course Moscow and Paris look better than Warsaw what I meant was they don't really look that better than Warsaw considering their size and wealth which are completely uncomparable with city like Warsaw. And yes, Madrid has some cool skyscrapers but doesn't have real skyline.

Top 10 european skylines imo:
1. London
2. Istanbul
3. Paris
4. Moscow
5. Frankfurt
6. Rotterdam
7. Warsaw
8. Vienna
9. Benidorm
10. Madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
I won't answer your esthetic opinion, but just to help your facts the Gdp p/c (PPP) of Warsaw has overtaken Vienna this year and is also above Rome, Madrid and Lisbon.

Warsaw is also bigger in population than Barcelona, Milan, Prague, Brussels, Amsterdam, ... being the 10th biggest city in Europe, so I wouldn't call it really mid-sized.
We are talking about skylines not quality of living... Shanghai has like $12k gdp p/c and world best and biggest skyline. By the way I lived in Warsaw and I strongly doubt that it's citizens are richer than Vienna's. My aesthetic opinion? Seriously? Warsaw is that far away in terms of skyline's quality with either completely generic skyscrapers or awful ones (intercontinental) that you can easily say this is objective fact.
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #3709
NOMAD€
THINK€R since 20-9-2004

Likes (Received): 4041

Quote:

You are wrong.

Milan Metropolitan City or Grater Milan has 4.200'000 people - 2'100 km2 (there's no official website as it's a new entity) and Milan Metropolitan Area has 8.125'000 people - 13'111 km2 (http://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_...tana_di_Milano)
Warsaw has 1.727'000 people - 517 km2 (http://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warszawa)

Besides IMHO Warsaw has got a really poor and ugly skyline.

Dasf Sturm liked this post

Last edited by NOMAD€; October 10th, 2014 at 04:38 PM.
NOMAD€ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #3710
TimeAndTide
U.S. Bank Tower, LA

Likes (Received): 1188

paris

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #3711
elkabel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:

HEre u have some stats of LUZ -LArger Urban Zone in EU ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larger_urban_zone
Milan 3 mln ppl/ 1300 km2 and warsaw 2,6 mln for 5000km2....
How the GDP of Warsaw can be measure if its not formally separated from its voivodeship like Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, Vienna or other cities ?....
I do not know what was the source of data to make this charts but there is no specific informations for Warsaw in public. I'm just courious.
Yours comments about ugliness are a bit tendentious

Last edited by elkabel; October 10th, 2014 at 04:46 PM.
elkabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #3712
nervyzombie
BANNED

Quote:
Besides IMHO Warsaw has got a really poor and ugly skyline.
Yep, its just awful. Warsaw is highly overrated on SSC, we see this city here constantly basically only because there is so many Poles on this forum(look local forums, polish has most viewers) but besides Poland no one cares about Warsaw, to be honest it has nothing to offer compared to other major european cities.

NOMAD€ liked this post
Old October 10th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #3713
markfos
San Escobar

Right... one of the worst in Europe.

by slawek

Old October 10th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #3714
markfos
San Escobar

Oh and I was wrong about nervyzombie - its'our best well known troll - SO143.
markfos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #3715
NOMAD€
THINK€R since 20-9-2004

Likes (Received): 4041

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfos View Post
I think you shouldn't accuse another forumer of being a troll only because he/she has a different opinion.

nervyzombie liked this post

Last edited by NOMAD€; October 10th, 2014 at 06:10 PM.
NOMAD€ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #3716
nervyzombie
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMAD€ View Post
I think you should accuse another forumer of being a troll only because he/she has a different opinion.
He is Polish so its pretty obvious that he will blindly defend Warsaw.
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #3717
Hartson

Likes (Received): 633

Quote:
so many Poles on this forum(look local forums, polish has most viewers)
wow.. Really They have more posts than a few Continental forums combined
Hartson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #3718
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Likes (Received): 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfos View Post
I doubt that, wasn't he always acclaiming how amizingly Warsaw is developing?
Union.SLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #3719
szymon0018

Likes (Received): 336

Yes, Warsaw is ugly city. But you cannot say 'Warsaw skyline is realy bad', because this is not true... Ugly city with nice skyscrapers and Old Town :P
szymon0018 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #3720
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Likes (Received): 2044

Vienna DC yesterday by me:

VitMos, KlausDiggy, Ivanator, vinttt, pooj and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Union.SLO; October 10th, 2014 at 07:19 PM.
Union.SLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw