daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #3721
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8763

Frankfurt

Quelle: heliflug.net

http://www.heliflug.net/2014/06/20/r...kfurt-am-main/

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #3722
nervyzombie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymon0018 View Post
Yes, Warsaw is ugly city. But you cannot say 'Warsaw skyline is realy bad', because this is not true... Ugly city with nice skyscrapers and Old Town :P
But its bad and no one except Poles will claim differently. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, Warsaw skyline is not clearly "awful" we have cities like Batumi after all, but its nothing impressing or interesting. I really doubt that any non-Pole would say Warsaw skyline is good.
nervyzombie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #3723
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Likes (Received): 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervyzombie View Post
But its bad and no one except Poles will claim differently.
Quote:
I really doubt that any non-Pole would say Warsaw skyline is good.
Omg omg there is at least one

One thing is expressing your own view on the certain skylines which you're completely entitled to and it's even welcome, it's a discussion thread after all, but the kind of statements as your quoted ones is really ridiculous.
Union.SLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #3724
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

London

London skyline by EnjoyTheViewEU

London skyline by EnjoyTheViewEU
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #3725
Apfelsaft

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
I really doubt that any non-Pole would say Warsaw skyline is good.

I do.

https://www.facebook.com/HochhausbauBerlin
Apfelsaft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #3726
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Paris

View from Notre Dame

by ragespinloss

And from one the lower levels of the Eiffel Tower

by Andrey Gavrish
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #3727
Hartson

Likes (Received): 633

Resize please
Hartson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #3728
elkabel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Yep, its just awful. Warsaw is highly overrated on SSC, we see this city here constantly basically only because there is so many Poles on this forum(look local forums, polish has most viewers) but besides Poland no one cares about Warsaw, to be honest it has nothing to offer compared to other major european cities.
everyone on the forum are indoctrinated by the poles which uses goebbels kind of propaganda....
To be serious and honest.. Warsaw isnt such beautifull city as Milan , mainly because of its number of commieblocks even in city center( which was completly masacres at WWII) and quite chaotic development but there is no doubt that it has better clusters with highrises and that's the reason that many people highly appreciate its skyline...
If we if we consider the whole panorama and general appearance then Milan will win this competition.

EOT
Cheers

KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by elkabel; October 10th, 2014 at 09:35 PM.
elkabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #3729
elkabel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
Quelle: [URL="www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heliflug.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F06%2FSkyline-Frankfurt.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heliflug.net%2F2014%2F06%2F20%2Frund-um-die-skyline-von-frankfurt-am-main%2F&h=1024&w=1536&tbnid=m1nykg3xysOv-M%3A&zoom=1&docid=igXag-k21-ZvVM&ei=4V_ZU_KDMe3G7AbA6oGYDw&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=992&page=6&start=100&ndsp=20&ved=0CD8QrQMwEzhk"]heliflug.net[/

[URL="http://www.heliflug.net/2014/06/20/rund-um-die-skyline-von-frankfurt-am-main/"]http://www.heliflug.net/2014/06/20/rund-um-die-skyline-von-frankfurt-am-main/[/U
Not bad but it lacks of my favourite Europe skyscraper " MESSETURM"
Frankfurt without it is deficient :E but still impressive.

Last edited by elkabel; October 10th, 2014 at 09:37 PM.
elkabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #3730
NAMBA

Likes (Received): 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apfelsaft View Post
I do.
Me too
Old October 10th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #3731
JanVL

Likes (Received): 81822

Quote:
We are talking about skylines not quality of living...
We are, you aren't. If you claim that a city is poor or mid-sized on its continent, I just like to set facts straight. People tend to forget that the world is not static and countries and cities evolve, quicker than many can realise. Anyway. Hard to discuss with people that make a new account after being banned for bashing a particular city for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMAD€ View Post
You are wrong.

Milan Metropolitan City or Grater Milan has 4.200'000 people - 2'100 km2 (there's no official website as it's a new entity) and Milan Metropolitan Area has 8.125'000 people - 13'111 km2 (http://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_...tana_di_Milano)
Warsaw has 1.727'000 people - 517 km2 (http://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warszawa)
Based on this date, within city limits, I wasn't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest...in_city_limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabel View Post
I do not know what was the source of data to make this charts but there is no specific informations for Warsaw in public. I'm just courious.
Yours comments about ugliness are a bit tendentious
If you check the source I gave you, you will be able to find the proper source of the stats .

I did not make any comments on aesthetics personally .

Personally I can only say that it is wonderful to see how the city rose from its ashes. Anyone can claim that Warsaw is ugly, and to some extent (some districts) he will most surely be correct. But those who do that should also fully realise that until 1944 one of the most beautiful capitals of Central-Europe was located there. Unfortunately fate decided to change that.

The same story goes for Rotterdam.

I'd even prefer to have the pre-war Warsaw back instead of those modern skyscrapers.
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #3732
NOMAD€
THINK€R since 20-9-2004

Likes (Received): 4041

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
Based on this date, within city limits, I wasn't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest...in_city_limits
I permit to suggest you to get informed before talking about something you clearly don't know.
Those data you linked are not update. The Metropolitan City of Milan or Grater Milan was "born" in 2014 and will officially start from 2015 (as for other Italian cities like Rome, Naples, Turin etc). It follows the same concept of London, Paris or any other big city in the world.

If you really don't trust my word or the data I linked you, you may ask in the Italian form and Italian forumers will happily confirm you what I'm trying to explain you.

So please accept the truth.

Thank you very much.
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #3733
JanVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMAD€ View Post
Those data you linked are not update. The Metropolitan City of Milan or Grater Milan was "born" in 2014 and will officially start from 2015 (as for other Italian cities like Rome, Naples, Turin etc). It follows the same concept of London, Paris or any other big city in the world.
I'll be very happy to see the official updated statistics when they are available in that case when 2015 shows up on my calendar .

I was only using the numbers within city limits, not metropolitan area as you did. Cities of course, as you say, 'swallow' their neighbouring towns, becoming bigger. If Warsaw did the same trick, I'd claim the 2.6 million number or higher for Warsaw too.
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #3734
JanVL

1. London

I visit London often, finding it an amazing city. Canary Wharf and the City are dynamic and amazing to walk around. If you climb St. Paul's or take the London Eye, it becomes visible how great the skyline looks like. I'm hoping to get on the Shard next year as well and maybe I'll be able to reach that hill closer to Greenwhich (?) for a great view too. London is rising fast with an enormous amount of towers going up, which is noticeable all over the city. It is great to get the first sight of the Shard and the City when arriving with the Eurostar in St. Pancras. The view on the City from the other bank after crossing the Tower Bridge is also stunning. I like the fact that most of the towers are very modern. The Gherkin or Shard are an instant identification of the city, acting as unique landmarks. The historic landmarks (Big Ben, ...) are a welcome bonus. I'm in love with London and I'm convinced it will continue to ameliorate itself. It's Europe's number one in many spheres, no doubt. The potential remains huge.

2. Paris

One of the best views that is shown here of the city is the combination of the Tour L'Eiffel with La Défense on the background. The Eiffel Tower still beats the presence of f.e. the cupola of St. Paul's. La Grande Arche is an amazing piece of architecture as well. Though personally I find Paris a little bit too dense. The older 'blocks' from the seventies don't convince me either, but fortunately I've seen some of them are being recladded. The main issue is that, apart from La Grande Arche, it is hard for me to point out a single outstanding building, contrary to the Gherkin or Shard in London, the Palace of Culture in Warsaw, ... I miss this defining skyscraper that is unique to the city. I hope it'll rise one day, among other nice projects. Following the Paris P&C thread I see they're coming too. I must confess: I haven't been in Paris for years, though it's only a 3 hour drive. I should change that. Maybe it would influence my opinion.

3. Frankfurt

The Commerzbank Tower and Messeturm are the two indications that instantly connect the skyline to its location. That's what I miss in Paris, as said. Frankfurt seems to keep its own style of more white-grey towers, which is less nice to me. I like glass. But the new ECB-tower is starting to make that up for me! And that's a good beginning, since somehow I find Frankfurt slightly outdated. Based on Wikipedia, only 4 out of the 15 highest buildings of the city were built after 2000 (6 out of 20). I would like to see new higher projects that give its skyline a boost. More 'shapy' towers instead of boxes. As said, the ECB-tower is a great starter. London and Paris have the luck to possess historic landmarks which add to the skyline, contrary to Frankfurt that lacks them and therefore is a little lower in my ranking. Nevertheless, it has an impressive skyline.

4. Istanbul

This is a hard one for me, since I haven't made up my mind yet on the city. I see a lot amazing projects rising. The Bosporus, hills and Istanbul's amazing bridge are great add-on's to the skyline too. It is dense, but not packed. Not all of the towers are outstanding. Unclear opinion on Istanbul, but my feeling says it belongs somewhere in the top 5/6. Maybe it's a draw with Moscow?

5. Moscow

Rating a skyline only by its density or height is not enough. If so, Moscow wouldn't be on this spot. Its cluster is impressive, especially the new turning tower. Personally, I don't like the orange cladding of the other tower. It really spoils the harmony of the cluster. The word 'skyline' doesn't contain 'line' accidentally. It demands a full picture, not just a spot. Therefore I'd love to see Moscow develop in the future in order to complete the picture. More towers on other places, if possible, instead of one cluster of skyscrapers. The skylines of European cities don't only consist of the modern skyscrapers, but we have the luck to have historic landmarks as well. Moscow surely has them. Pictures which combine the new cluster with some of the Seven Sisters or the Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed, showing also how big the city is, give Moscow the right to number 5 on my list.

6. Warsaw

Starting with something I reckoned a few cities lack, Warsaw does have the landmark tower that is a symbol for its skyline and the city itself, this being the Palace of Culture. Just as Paris or Frankfurt, Warsaw too had its experience for skyscrapers since a longer time than many others in this list. I'm pointing here at Warsaw's two 'Twin Towers', built in the seventies. In recent years many fine projects have enriched the skyline. The Palace of Culture doesn't stand alone anymore, but is surrounded by towers created by known architects as Liebeskind and Helmut Jahn. There might be a Foster soon too, his second project in the city. A second cluster is rising fast. A modest third one can be distinguished. I reckon quality is improving as well, despite the few low-quality towers that were built earlier. Hopes are high for the new Q22 tower. I like the fact that the skyline is more dense. Towers are emerging on other places in the city, putting the line in skyline. The Zlota 44 tower by Liebeskind is not a full box, making the view a little bit more playful. The potential remains big, just as the number of towers in the pipeline. Some parts of the city might be ugly, but every time someone makes that comment, he should bare in mind that in 1945 there was nothing left than bricks. The bricks, or cement, that stand high now are a tremendous achievement.

7. Milan

Milan, one of the capitals of fashion, wouldn't be worth its title if it would fail to translate that into a modern, appealing and innovative skyline. The projects coming out of the city are amazing, like f.e. the Bosco Verticale. Spires on towers are sometimes a source of controversy, but I dare to say it is the Unicredit Tower's spire that gives the discrete touch leading to a landmark of Milan. Milan is on the rise and more towers of the same quality will help it jump up in the ranking!

8. Rotterdam

I've visited Rotterdam this year after not being there for a long time. I must confess 'De Rotterdam' was somehow a little disappointment. The rest wasn't. I climbed up the Euromast which I think gives the best view on the city and shows how much towers, not all of them that high, the city has. The big contrast between the building of the 'Holland-Amerikalijn' and the towers proves how impressive Rotterdam has become. Just as Warsaw, Rotterdam was destroyed by the Germans, but has rised again. The quality of most of the towers in Rotterdam is very good. Many of them have the unique modern look which is to be found everywhere in Dutch architecture. The Erasmus bridge combines perfectly with the skyline. A very modern city with a nice modern skyline. It needs still a few more towers to jump up in the ranking. Honestly, it is hard for me to rank Warsaw, Milan and Rotterdam and preferably would keep them on a draw as well.

9. The Hague

The Hague ... or how I'd wish all governmental buildings in Brussels or Warsaw to look like. In general, I think the Netherlands have one of the most modern and impressive architecture in Europe. Many Dutch cities have nice towers, including The Hague. I'm not yet fully convinced of the two towers in the style of old Dutch houses, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I hope more towers are soon to come.

Personally I don't think there are more skylines at the moment that are suitable to 'compete' for the title of the best modern skyline of Europe. Maybe Barcelona would prolong this list to 10, but I find it not that convincing for the moment.
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:39 AM   #3735
Brad
voyageur

Likes (Received): 4161

Minsk

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post118048173

ekko, renshapratama, meteoforumitalia liked this post
Brad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #3736
IThomas

Some old ones from Milan I'm sorry for pic quality

renshapratama, ekko, IVCF, KlausDiggy, vinttt liked this post
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #3737
IThomas

I'm sorry for this post, but I want show you how the district is changing. New constructions, new contemporary urban park is coming, and redevelopment of the area is still in process. Here other pics from Porta Nuova.
(Apart Porta Nuova, we have CityLife district: see threads about Il Dritto, Lo Storto, Il Curvo. I hope for something of new, in next decade, in Farini: a very biggest area with a lot of potential)

Ivanator liked this post
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #3738
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14399

valencia , e
Valencia by dartmouthphotography, on Flickr
Valencia-Espana by Raffaele Preti, on Flickr
L'Hemisfèric (C.A.C) - Valencia by DavidFrutos, on Flickr
Torre de Francia by Aarónr, on Flickr
CAC - Vista esquina by cesvlc, on Flickr

KlausDiggy, vinttt liked this post

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; October 11th, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #3739
KlausDiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFC1 View Post
Have you been to London ?
counter question
: Have you been to Frankfurt?
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #3740
KlausDiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
3. Frankfurt

The Commerzbank Tower and Messeturm are the two indications that instantly connect the skyline to its location. That's what I miss in Paris, as said. Frankfurt seems to keep its own style of more white-grey towers, which is less nice to me. I like glass. But the new ECB-tower is starting to make that up for me! And that's a good beginning, since somehow I find Frankfurt slightly outdated. Based on Wikipedia, only 4 out of the 15 highest buildings of the city were built after 2000 (6 out of 20). I would like to see new higher projects that give its skyline a boost. More 'shapy' towers instead of boxes. As said, the ECB-tower is a great starter. London and Paris have the luck to possess historic landmarks which add to the skyline, contrary to Frankfurt that lacks them and therefore is a little lower in my ranking. Nevertheless, it has an impressive skyline.
The Polish Wikipedia articles of Frankfurt is also incomplete.
I would you rather recommend the German or English articles.

---->http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d...nkfurt_am_Main

Frankfurt has today exactly 30 highrises with 100m.
14 of these are higher than 150m.

A building is currently under construction and 6 are planned for the next few years.

*From the skyscrapers (150m) were 5 of 14 buildings built after 2000.
*From the highrise buildings (100m) were 10 of 30 built after 2000.

Diagramm Frankfurter Hochhäuser 2 by Klaus Diggy, on Flickr

Ji-Ja-Jot liked this post

Last edited by KlausDiggy; October 11th, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw