daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #5381
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFC1 View Post
9. Birmingham ... yep ! Why not ? Big city with a nice skyline .. absolutley ignored on these pages ..
Birmingham

IMG_6714.jpg by corerising, on Flickr

IMG_6658.jpg by corerising, on Flickr

IMG_6660.jpg by corerising, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #5382
Axel76NG

Likes (Received): 480

My current top 10:

1) Paris: beautiful and dense cluster simply looks great from all angles. However it could do with more height variation and some more interesting designs.

2) Moscow: has some very good designs and the greatest height in a clearly defined cluster. However the cluster itself is fairly small and lacks height variation

3) London: has the best looking individual buildings in Europe and will likely be number one in the future. However the individual clusters are small and don't work very well as a whole. The city: too messy; CW: too boxy

4) Frankfurt

5) Istanbul

6) Warsaw

7) Milan

8) The Hague

9) Rotterdam

10) Lyon
Axel76NG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #5383
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14390

lyon ???
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #5384
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfos View Post
total racist rubbish with selective photos of construction sites where you can't get in.

let's sort those shots out.

1. Dirt, yes. Some, yet not all, construction companies poorely control cleanliness. But again it's late winter. Someone needs to learn about the climate.
This is construction of underground pedestrian way to metro stations. One metro station was built and opened many years ago. Another should open in 2016. That's a large project - over 50km long surface circle line that is under very active construction.
http://static1.uk.businessinsider.co...-or-london.jpg

2. Nothing wrong with those. Pretty much active recent projects, nearly completed.
http://static2.uk.businessinsider.co...tower-east.jpg
http://static5.uk.businessinsider.co...tion-tower.jpg
http://static1.uk.businessinsider.co...york-times.jpg
http://static4.uk.businessinsider.co...is-in-2014.jpg

3. Federation Tower was resumed for your known. The core is already topped. Just a dome on top left to build.
http://static6.uk.businessinsider.co...12-billion.jpg

4. This is left of first photo. It was opened just few days ago. Not much people because both buildings on sides are under construction. Yet the one on left almost finished. Those on right should be finished next year. The building in front has another 2 metro stations underneath it with 1 more under construction.
http://static3.uk.businessinsider.co...ngly-empty.jpg

5. The empty plot of recently demolished building prepared for another mid-rise building. Why should construction site full of people? Most of development in IBC since beggining are owned by
http://static2.uk.businessinsider.co...ere-guards.jpg

6. Side of former Russia Tower plot. Currently very actively under construction Renaissance Towers. Most of Moscow IBC actually since beginning owned by Turkish companies. They doesn't much care about oil. And for them and their Turkish banks construction in Russia is now twice cheaper.
http://static4.uk.businessinsider.co...edestrians.jpg

7. For once yes, graffiti is a problem. It's up to Police.
http://static5.uk.businessinsider.co...e-pristine.jpg

8. Again, that's a total lie. Evolution Tower is nearly to be finished.
http://static6.uk.businessinsider.co...-salomatin.jpg

9. The small construction site for tunnels beyond of 3rd metro station I was talking about (out of 5 metro stations in total). Station itself is already built. That's another circle line. First phase should be completed in 2016 with second in 2017-2018 making nearly half of a line. There are two circle metro lines under construction. One, underground, shifted to south and one, surface shifted to north.
http://static4.uk.businessinsider.co...e-district.jpg

10. Not sure what's here.
http://static4.uk.businessinsider.co...nd-of-2015.jpg

11. Not sure if it's IBC, but you can obviously see cranes behind. And those Muscovite most probably communist or us-paid marginal. They always agaisnt of anything that happens in a country.
http://static4.uk.businessinsider.co...n-eye-sore.jpg

12. This underground pedestrian way is not opened yet.
http://static1.uk.businessinsider.co...ie-theater.jpg

The district is good for one thing, though, Salomatin says: "At night, people will drive out to an abandoned parking lot or construction area with a bottle of vodka or cognac, and just sit and look at the lights."
This is obviously said not by a Muscovite, so totally faked up. Vodka isn't popular in Moscow.

Last edited by coth; March 10th, 2015 at 11:51 PM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #5385
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8758

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFC1 View Post
my new top ten

4. Frankfurt... Uber American skyline on the rhine .. ok main .. manchester is bigger than frankfurt lol .. but it's Germany's financial centre
What makes you think that Manchester is greater than Frankfurt /Main.

Manchester city area has 514,000 inhabitants.
In the metropolitan region live 2.55 Mio inhabitans.

--->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester

Frankfurt city area has 701,000 inhabitans.
In the advanced city area live 2.5 Mio inhabitans.
And in the metropolitan region of Rhine-Main live 5.5 Mio inhabitans.

--->https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_am_Main

Last edited by KlausDiggy; March 10th, 2015 at 05:52 PM.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #5386
Apteryx
Struthioniforme Apteryge

Likes (Received): 1778

I could have say the same, thank you for the data!

KlausDiggy liked this post
Apteryx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #5387
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 3663

Correct me if I'm wrong but Manchester's URBAN(Continuous built up area) population is 2,553,379. Don't know its metro, as we don't really organise data in that unit in the UK. Anyway Frankfurt obviously has the better skyline regardless.
Union Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #5388
kisssme

Likes (Received): 5684

Old March 11th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #5389
levaniX
You're not a pretty horse

Likes (Received): 8043

I consider London skyline the best for several reasons (I've been there twice btw)
Comfortable space near buildings, lots of details on ground level, contemporary art installations, decent cladding, generally lively area, mix of historical buildings in the City and skyscrapers is fascinating and this contrast look pretty much relevant, except I hate post-modernist rubbish monstrous architecture of late 80s-early 90s.

Talking of Canary Wharf. Space is used rationally and it feels quite urban, and even if buildings doesn't look original and look boxy, quality of glass is pretty decent and space is greenery, has a good infrastructure. Space is used more rational, distances between buildings are proper

Why Moscow is not the best skyline?
1. Commieblocks, commieblocks, LOTS of them. Quantity matters! We have loots of them, thus we should be proud of massiveness! (although I consider a skyline of North-West Moscow generally alright)
2. Low-rise architecture is a lot better than high-rise, especially on Golden Mile, which is one of the most expensive districts of Moscow. Architecture looks a lot more decent than in Moscow. "White Square" looks quite decent, and public space is generally good, compared to Moscow IBC
3. Distances between buildings in Moscow IBC are too narrow
4. Low-quality cladding.

My favourite buildings in Moscow IBC are Evolution Tower and OKO. They look generally nice, especially Evolution, which is very amazing, because of its unusual shape and decent cladding

While Mercury City Tower is a true offense of my aesthetic feelings. Because of that toxic orange cladding, which is awful, very awful. Cheap. Plasticky. Pathetic.
levaniX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #5390
kisssme

Likes (Received): 5684

Paris

Last edited by kisssme; March 11th, 2015 at 03:59 AM.
kisssme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #5391
meteoforumitalia

Likes (Received): 10956

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFC1
9. Birmingham ... yep ! Why not ? Big city with a nice skyline .. absolutley ignored on these pages ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
Birmingham
IMG_6714.jpg by corerising, on Flickr

IMG_6660.jpg by corerising, on Flickr
I prefere Yekaterinburg

Wolfowitsch, Blackhavvk, ekko, nookie liked this post
meteoforumitalia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #5392
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Frankfurt:

Frankfurt by Night by jluster, on Flickr

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

KlausDiggy, Highrisetower319, Dorocka liked this post
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #5393
Blackhavvk

Likes (Received): 7062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
Birmingham
VS Ekaterinburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaVaR View Post
Атака Екатеринбурга продолжается:
FATALITY

ekko liked this post
Blackhavvk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #5394
Blackhavvk

I do not think that Birmingham is better than any Russian city 1000000+
Voronezh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos-v View Post
or Kazan'
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidar89 View Post
Казань, спальник
or Samara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ton63 View Post
Самара
(or Novosibirsk or Nizhniy Novgorod or Volgograd ets...)

PS Ultimate MOSCOW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Импозантный View Post
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #5395
levaniX

DISCUSS: Best Modern European Skyline (Part3)

I do see a difference. And that difference is not in quantity and massiveness, but quality of architecture and materials buildings are made of.

They're better off, even shabby modernist strictures and british tower blocks are better than soviet commieblocks and it's successors of its kind. Feels like Russia is stuck in european 1960s in terms of attitudes towards blocks . As since 1950s, Britain and Europe were obsessed with building more motorways, taller skyscrapers, more modernism, more blocks.

Talking of skyline, its height itself. Maybe, it can be compared to russian cities

Instagram
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #5396
levaniX

After all, russian cities amaze by their hugeness, massiveness, grand scales, rather than quality
Chinese cities though have grander scales, which are even more mind-blowing

I like how Yekaterinburg and Kazan are evolving anyway

Instagram

Last edited by levaniX; March 11th, 2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #5397
Blackhavvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by levaniX View Post
I do see a difference. And that difference is not in quantity and massiveness, but quality of architecture and materials buildings are made of.

They're better off, even shabby modernist strictures and british tower blocks are better than soviet commieblocks and it's successors of its kind. Feels like Russia is stuck in european 1960s in terms of attitudes towards blocks . As since 1950s, Britain and Europe were obsessed with building more motorways, taller skyscrapers, more modernism, more blocks.

Talking of skyline, its height itself. Maybe, it can be compared to russian cities
You are stuck in stereotypes, comparing photos that I proposed and photos Birmengem but we can see where the architecture is better. I can give you 100 proof, but I'll still have not changed your mind. On this sit and think that we live in a dump, and 90% of homes in Russia is commiblocks. These fantasies can give you pleasure. However, if you are willing to constructively discuss this topic, then you can go to another branch and discuss the state of contemporary architecture and cities in Russia and England.
Blackhavvk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #5398
levaniX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhavvk View Post
You are stuck in stereotypes, comparing photos that I proposed and photos Birmengem but we can see where the architecture is better. I can give you 100 proof, but I'll still have not changed your mind. On this sit and think that we live in a dump, and 90% of homes in Russia is commiblocks. These fantasies can give you pleasure. However, if you are willing to constructively discuss this topic, then you can go to another branch and discuss the state of contemporary architecture and cities in Russia and England.
I've seen lots of shots, and I still like it better. Maybe, it is just my subjective judgement

I did not say we live in a dump.
It is my subjective opinion about comfortable residential living. Of course. Nothing could change at once. I personally don't like that the block trend(even if the building has original shapes and has generally post-modernish feeling) is still continuing in RESIDENTIAL housing today,. It reminds me either today's China(i don't say it's obsolete,it is just a different approach) or 1960s-1980s in europe, the age of modernism.

Maybe it is a russian specifics, who knows, It's just not my cup of tea.. And I do not live in a commieblock, but in Stalinist house

In 1960s, Russia followed the same trend as Western Europe at the time. And I think, modernist approach is not efficient anymore in residential hohsing

Turning back to skylines
I said that I like how Kazan and especially Yekaterinburg are evolving and developing. Kazan skyline along with Yekaterinburg look quit e original.

And skyline of Yekaterinburg, to my mind, is even more dense and nicer than Moscow's. And it will be in the near future. Density probably would be the most significant feature of it.

Instagram

Blackhavvk liked this post

Last edited by levaniX; March 11th, 2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #5399
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

In my opinion, only Moscow has somewhat a skyline and other Russian cities seem to be chaotic concrete jungles. I guess most forum members would agree with me, let alone the architects among us.
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #5400
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Warsaw

On the edge of the tippy top.

http://warszawa.gazeta.pl/warszawa/5...18897.html?i=2

KlausDiggy, nookie, Dorocka liked this post

Last edited by rychlik; March 11th, 2015 at 05:04 AM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw