daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #581
rolio

Likes (Received): 3160

Biggest density in Europe is Paris.
rolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #582
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Do you even know the meaning of a "discussion" ? Have you ever had a civil conversation with another decent human being ? Seriously ?

What's up with this thread? Why are all the weirdos in SSC here?

Radiokott, vinttt liked this post
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #583
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Frankfurt:

https://flic.kr/p/mmFPwi

https://flic.kr/p/mqHUCe

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #584
rolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by doguorsi2 View Post
Do you even know the meaning of a "discussion" ? Have you ever had a civil conversation with another decent human being ? Seriously ?

What's up with this thread? Why are all the weirdos in SSC here?
What's the problem?
Old March 27th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #585
doguorsi2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolio View Post
What's the problem?
Dear friend. Saying "that city is the biggest" is not a discussion material. Show us some data. Tell us why you think it is the biggest or the best. Include examples. Compare it with other cities.

I really hope you understand what I am talking about. Saying "that city is the biggest" sounds very trollish and creates a flame war.

Please tell us why you think Paris is the densest city in Europe. I am looking forward to read your reasoning. Then we might agree with you or disagree. Either way, we would build up a civil conversation and we all would learn from each other.

Best.

aarhusforever, vinttt liked this post
Old March 27th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #586
arno-13

Likes (Received): 1192

Telling which city is the bigger is a hard statement as the way they spread is different from one to another.

We could compare Paris and London for exemple. The two cities host approx the same number of inhabitants, which is about 10 to 12 millions. But Paris manage to get this number in an area relly shorter thant London which is more spread. Paris is set in the middle of giant wheat fields and it's urban borders host the vast majority of it's population. London is set in a denser area where you may find more littles cities/villages around the city core. So it's harder for London to say where the city stop and where the countryside begin.

It is a well known fact that Paris is the most dense city of Western Europe, at least for it's size. Of course, the more you will go close to the borders, the less urbanisation is dense.
London is maybe more polycentric.

Interesting economic figures of 2011:

P.I.B. = G.P.D. par habitant = per capita
Milliards = Billions

Inner London West (City of London + Camden + Hammersmith and Fulham + Kensington and Chelsea + Wandsworth + Westminster) : 109 km² / PIB de 248 milliards de dollars
Ville de Paris : 105 km² / PIB de 267 milliards de dollars

Inner London : 319 km² / PIB de 385 milliards de dollars
Paris + Hauts-de-Seine : 281 km² / PIB de 461 milliards de dollars

Grand Londres : 1.572 km² / PIB de 550 milliards de dollars
Paris + petite couronne : 762 km² / PIB de 608 milliards de dollars

Grand Londres + 6 comtés l'entourant : 15.110 km² / PIB de 838 milliards de dollars / PIB par habitants 54.973 dollars
Île-de-France : 12.012 km² / PIB de 847 milliards de dollars / PIB par habitant 71.307 dollars
Île-de-France + Oise : 17.872 km² / PIB de 874 milliards de dollars / PIB par habitant 68.887 dollars

These numbers are not mine and i do'nt pretend them to be 100% true, but they give an interesting point of vue of how the cities concentrate their wealth. And this confirm the statements i made above.

doguorsi2, aarhusforever liked this post

Last edited by arno-13; March 27th, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
arno-13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #587
rolio

Quote:
Dear friend. Saying "that city is the biggest" is not a discussion material. Show us some data. Tell us why you think it is the biggest or the best. Include examples. Compare it with other cities.

I really hope you understand what I am talking about. Saying "that city is the biggest" sounds very trollish and creates a flame war.

Please tell us why you think Paris is the densest city in Europe. I am looking forward to read your reasoning. Then we might agree with you or disagree. Either way, we would build up a civil conversation and we all would learn from each other.

Best.
wow people are so stressed in this topic...
That was just a simple post, no need to take it that way
About the density, yes Paris has the biggest population density of big european cities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #588
doguorsi2
BANNED

The link shows cities only in the EU though.
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #589
human187
человек187

Likes (Received): 7388

Quote:
It has Moscow, too.

Anyway, everyone knows that Paris is not 2.2 mln - it is just outdated municipal boundaries. Metro and urban area are closer to 11-12 mln inhabitans. Here is from wiki:
Paris population density reaches 22,000 inhabitants per square kilometer - 25,000 if the outlying Bois de Boulogne and Bois de Vincennes are excluded. It is one of the highest in the developed world, only slightly lower than Manhattan. The residential density tends to be higher in the Eastern part of the city, while the centre-West contains more offices.[194] Paris urban unit (built-up area) extends well beyond the city limits, and comprises all of the surrounding départements of Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis, and Val-de-Marne, as well as substantial portions of Yvelines, Val-d'Oise, Seine-et-Marne and Essonne. It includes heavily built-up inner suburbs, with densities comparable to those of Paris itself, as well as more distant and more sparsely populated areas. The average density for the whole urban unit is below 4,000 /km2.

For Moscow it is around 8 000 - 10 000, London - around 4 500.

Paris is really dense in city center, it was rebuilt as a big city in XIX century.

doguorsi2, aarhusforever, arno-13, vinttt liked this post
human187 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #590
rolio

Quote:
You're right, i didn't notice.
So we can add Moscow and Istanbul.
Moscow density is 4771 hab/km2 and Istanbul is 5342hab/km2 (wiki says), so quite far away.

doguorsi2, aarhusforever liked this post
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #591
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Good, interesting and informativ discussion, guys. Thank you for all the stats and facts

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #592
doguorsi2
BANNED

Now we are talking. Honestly I don't know much density in Istanbul but it is a big mess and 16 million people live in such small landscape. I will check Istanbul municipality's website and write the stats here.

Thanks guys.

aarhusforever liked this post
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #593
rolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by human187 View Post
It has Moscow, too.

Anyway, everyone knows that Paris is not 2.2 mln - it is just outdated municipal boundaries. Metro and urban area are closer to 11-12 mln inhabitans. Here is from wiki:
Paris population density reaches 22,000 inhabitants per square kilometer - 25,000 if the outlying Bois de Boulogne and Bois de Vincennes are excluded. It is one of the highest in the developed world, only slightly lower than Manhattan. The residential density tends to be higher in the Eastern part of the city, while the centre-West contains more offices.[194] Paris urban unit (built-up area) extends well beyond the city limits, and comprises all of the surrounding départements of Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis, and Val-de-Marne, as well as substantial portions of Yvelines, Val-d'Oise, Seine-et-Marne and Essonne. It includes heavily built-up inner suburbs, with densities comparable to those of Paris itself, as well as more distant and more sparsely populated areas. The average density for the whole urban unit is below 4,000 /km2.

For Moscow it is around 8 000 - 10 000, London - around 4 500.

Paris is really dense in city center, it was rebuilt as a big city in XIX century.
The problem is that so far we cannot define real limits of "Paris"...Maybe it will be easier in a few years when the Grand Paris project will be achieved. But now the only figures we have is about the density in the city of Paris, which is very very dense (almost as dense as Manhattan for example, but without skyscrapers except Montparnasse)
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #594
rolio

Quote:
Now we are talking. Honestly I don't know much density in Istanbul but it is a big mess and 16 million people live in such small landscape. I will check Istanbul municipality's website and write the stats here.

Thanks guys.
I don't know Istanbul because unfortunately i haven't been there so far, but if i refer to pictures i see in this topic it looks very spread and not very dense, am i wrong?
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #595
human187
человек187

Likes (Received): 7388

Quote:
I don't know Istanbul because unfortunately i haven't been there so far, but if i refer to pictures i see in this topic it looks very spread and not very dense, am i wrong?
It is dense, buildings are situated very close to each other. Anyway, i cant tell for the numbers - someone from Turkey must help here. Istanbul is the fastest growing megacity of Europe.

Old city:

Newer parts:

Moving further:

Not as tall highrises as in Moscow, but really bad separated:
[IMG]http://image.************.com/display_pic_with_logo/870892/100453483/stock-photo-city-panorama-from-air-in-istanbul-turkey-100453483.jpg[/IMG]

More great images on Flickr: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

MUST SEE: 3

rolio, vinttt liked this post
human187 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #596
doguorsi2
BANNED

Quote:
It is extremely dense. Trust me You would lose your mind! Even I lose my mind in that chaotic crowd when I visit the city during summers. We have 5 to 10 story residential buildings attached to each other all around the city. Streets are very tinny bitty, very less green areas, jungle of concrete. It is too dense. I hope half of Istanbul's population will move back to Anatolia and the city will start to recover itself.

If we are talking about the skyscraper districts.... Well since Istanbul is too huge, we have multiple clusters. We have Maslak, Bomonti, Levent, Atasehir. When you look at the city from far, it looks too spread out but what you actually see is multiple clusters far away from each other. That famous Levent district is pretty dense in itself for example. It is still developing but there isn't much space to build anything else. There is Maslak district only 20 kms away to the north. There is Bomonti district only 10 kms to the south. There is Atasehir district on the Asian side etc...

I honestly would prefer Istanbul to be green like London and planned like Paris. I really like that Paris has lesser people, only one dense cbd and very well planned subway web.

rolio, aarhusforever liked this post
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #597
rocky2

Likes (Received): 25

Is this thread called

DISCUSS: Densest European city and biggest GDP

?

No it is called : DISCUSS: Best Modern European Skyline

SASH liked this post
rocky2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #598
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

ROTTERDAM

doguorsi2, Basnix, vinttt liked this post
SASH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #599
il fenomeno
♥ helfen statt hetzen ♥

Likes (Received): 22425

Furankfuruto

@ bernd sieker
@ http://www.flickr.com/photos/pink_di...er/13426773004

Tiaren, SASH, Radiokott, vinttt, Ykir and 1 others liked this post
il fenomeno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #600
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

A city neither has to be the biggest nor the densest to have an amazing or even the best skyline. You guys are juggling with figures a little too much...

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw