daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2015, 01:33 AM   #7741
Surrealplaces

Likes (Received): 2696

Frankfurt, Blick vom Maintower by Michael Regner, on Flickr

Darmstadt & Frankfurt "Skyline" by hartmann000, on Flickr

Skyline by Melmark Gromü, on Flickr

Last edited by Surrealplaces; November 1st, 2015 at 01:42 AM.
Surrealplaces no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2015, 01:58 AM   #7742
alexandrei

Likes (Received): 6566

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTarantino View Post
WHAT????

However Milan is considered one of the ugliest cities in Italy. Indeed it is, except for new developments.
Turin, Rome, Naples, Palermo, Genoa, Florence, Venice, Catania are beautiful cities.
Milan one of the ugliest cities in Italy?
Seriously?

IThomas, meteoforumitalia, Justinos liked this post
alexandrei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 02:21 AM   #7743
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Likes (Received): 869

Southern Italy is poor(er) than the north.
Old November 1st, 2015, 02:39 AM   #7744
ILTarantino

Likes (Received): 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrei View Post
Milan one of the ugliest cities in Italy?
Seriously?
Milan is not a nice city in comparison to most other Italian cities.
Only the Milanese say otherwise.
ILTarantino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 02:48 AM   #7745
ILTarantino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro7en View Post
Southern Italy is poor(er) than the north.
What does it mean?
Southern Italy attracts tourists from around the world. Because it's a land rich in history, art, good food and a genuine quality of life.
Rather ask yourself what would be France without Paris.

Last edited by ILTarantino; November 1st, 2015 at 03:12 AM.
Old November 1st, 2015, 02:48 AM   #7746
alexandrei

Quote:
I'm not Milanese, and sincerly i put Milan on the first place in my list of favourite cities in Italy.
Here u can find a perfect mix between old and modern, the whole city in under a big redevelopment.
Beauty it's not only old and historical architectures, but a perfect mix of element that Milan has.

NOMAD€, Justinos, arno-13 liked this post
Old November 1st, 2015, 03:06 AM   #7747
ILTarantino

Quote:
I'm not Milanese, and sincerly i put Milan on the first place in my list of favourite cities in Italy.
Here u can find a perfect mix between old and modern, the whole city in under a big redevelopment.
Beauty it's not only old and historical architectures, but a perfect mix of element that Milan has.
You should visit it. Milan is a gray and depressing city, everybody knows that.
I was very disappointed when I visited it.
Old November 1st, 2015, 03:23 AM   #7748
alexandrei

Quote:
I visited Milan at least 5 times this summer, 15/20 days every time, and i can say that in Milan we have a piece of Europe in Italy.
Old November 1st, 2015, 03:41 AM   #7749
ILTarantino

Quote:
I visited Milan at least 5 times this summer, 15/20 days every time, and i can say that in Milan we have a piece of Europe in Italy.
No doubt it is a rich and efficient city. But it is as bad as all the post industrial cities in the world. In my opinion it is the equivalent of Manchester or Liverpool.

P.S. We're going off topic.
Old November 1st, 2015, 06:35 AM   #7750
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Likes (Received): 869

Quote:
What does it mean?
Southern Italy attracts tourists from around the world. Because it's a land rich in history, art, good food and a genuine quality of life.
Rather ask yourself what would be France without Paris.

France without Paris? Côte d'azur (Nice, Cannes are world renowned as being rich) French Alps have some of the best skiing in the world, Lyon is the gastronomic capital of the France, Bordeaux is amazing, Bretagne is one of the few Celtic nations, Normandie is a prime location (especially Deauville). Lille is one of the main old industrial cities of France. There is so much in France.

NAMBA, meteoforumitalia, IThomas liked this post
Fro7en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 10:20 AM   #7751
vinttt

Likes (Received): 13977

Moscow by [D1ego]

Old November 1st, 2015, 12:49 PM   #7752
Countach

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szymulek View Post
No offence my Italian friends but...
I've traveled to Milan for the first time in my life last week. I went specially to Porta Nuova district to see the skyscrapers. I must say that pictures being posted in this thread is a masterpiece of marketing. That district doesn't look nice at all. Also it's not that dense. I've always thought that Warsaw is not dense but comparing to Milan it is the capital of density.
I've read that "it is still not completed" but that's even worse to me. Is Porta Nuova being built because someone decided so? I like such cities like London or Frankfurt (or Warsaw but you will probably accuse me of being biased) where skyscrapers are built as a result of some natural economic processes. Otherwise it looks false like in Moscow IMHO.
But that's only my opinion about the skyscrapers in Milan. I really liked Italy. It's beautiful. I've travelled through Lombardy and Tuscany. Cheers

That's how it looks from the street level (only mobile panorama, sorry):
If you take pictures from the worst possible angle, maybe also Manhattan looks ugly. I was earing only good comments from tourists and recently there were many articles of international press (also American) writing a lot of great reviews about Milan and it's modern development.
Moreover you can say everything but you can't say that Milan's skyscraper development is somehow false, because it is exactly the opposite and it is one city where skyscrapers are growing up spontaneously. In fact they are all in the city center, all full and in different clusters.

NOMAD€, meteoforumitalia liked this post

Last edited by Countach; November 1st, 2015 at 01:21 PM.
Countach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 01:03 PM   #7753
slowmotion2

Likes (Received): 3

is this real ... is there sth where Im able to see technical information of constructions .. ´.
slowmotion2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 01:15 PM   #7754
IThomas

Quote:
WHAT????

However Milan is considered one of the ugliest cities in Italy. Indeed it is, except for new developments.
Turin, Rome, Naples, Palermo, Genoa, Florence, Venice, Catania are beautiful cities.
Quote:

It's like make a comparison between The Last Supper and Guernica, and saying that one of the artworks is ugly. However, your "scale of beauty" is quite curious: you put Rome, Venice, Florence in the same class with Turin, Naples, Palermo, Genoa and Catania.

Quote:
If Milan is a depressing city... how Taranto is?

BTW, I like read different comments

poinc, tanosmile liked this post

Last edited by IThomas; November 1st, 2015 at 05:46 PM.
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 03:25 PM   #7755
Rivaille

Likes (Received): 1067

Paris panorama by Halogénure, auf Flickr
paris-17 by Fabrice PIPITONE, auf Flickr
La Défense - Sacré Coeur by Vincent Montcuit, auf Flickr
La Defense by gasdub, auf Flickr
Old November 1st, 2015, 04:42 PM   #7756
ZiggyPaolo
Bruxelles/Milano

Likes (Received): 115

I hate extremism and extremist. And it's funny how sometimes the worst comments come from people of the same country but different region. I won't start this sad battle against italian cities etc. But I would like to say something about skylines and the fact that pics take only the best aspect of them. I think it's normal but truly can be disappointing once you visit it. Skyline must be seen from faraway, this is the idea of skyline. Milan skyline from the Duomo or some cool terrace (maybe at night) it's super cool. From other perspective maybe less (but again, it's under construction..give it time). I have been to Paris last week and went for the first time to La Defence..I was super disappointed. I mean from pics and from faraway the skyline is cool, but there, under the skyscrapers during the day NO. It seemed old, ugly, poor, not that impressive etc. But it's considered one of the best ones. So it really depends on point of views. I still love Paris and its skyline though. Warsaw, I've never been. i'm sure that at night from faraway would be lovely but under the buildings and the overall feeling would be not that nice, I mean the city was destroyed during the war and mostly rebuilded it with soviet style in the 60-70s. So it really depends on perspective. NY itself, I've been there, skyline from Queens/Brooklyn and from top of the rocks is amazing, but under the skyscrapers can be ugly sometimes (wins anyway due to density!!). Frankfurt skyline is top, but the city no and it's a bit ugly walking there. Rotterdam too..it's cool but some buildings and parts of the city horrible. The only one that I would save it's London. Cool from all perspectives. So going back to Milan, depends from perspective, at least downtown is cooler and much more artistic than other european cities and its skyscrapers are much more modern and stylish with modern squares. Yes it's not that dense and it's under construction, but I personally prefer that and its dialogue with ancient buildings and alps than just an impressive cluster of skyscrapers (but that's it). Sorry for being long.
Old November 1st, 2015, 04:48 PM   #7757
alexandrei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyPaolo View Post
I hate extremism and extremist. And it's funny how sometimes the worst comments come from people of the same country but different region. I won't start this sad battle against italian cities etc. But I would like to say something about skylines and the fact that pics take only the best aspect of them. I think it's normal but truly can be disappointing once you visit it. Skyline must be seen from faraway, this is the idea of skyline. Milan skyline from the Duomo or some cool terrace (maybe at night) it's super cool. From other perspective maybe less (but again, it's under construction..give it time). I have been to Paris last week and went for the first time to La Defence..I was super disappointed. I mean from pics and from faraway the skyline is cool, but there, under the skyscrapers during the day NO. It seemed old, ugly, poor, not that impressive etc. But it's considered one of the best ones. So it really depends on point of views. I still love Paris and its skyline though. Warsaw, I've never been. i'm sure that at night from faraway would be lovely but under the buildings and the overall feeling would be not that nice, I mean the city was destroyed during the war and mostly rebuilded it with soviet style in the 60-70s. So it really depends on perspective. NY itself, I've been there, skyline from Queens/Brooklyn and from top of the rocks is amazing, but under the skyscrapers can be ugly sometimes (wins anyway due to density!!). Frankfurt skyline is top, but the city no and it's a bit ugly walking there. Rotterdam too..it's cool but some buildings and parts of the city horrible. The only one that I would save it's London. Cool from all perspectives. So going back to Milan, depends from perspective, at least downtown is cooler and much more artistic than other european cities and its skyscrapers are much more modern and stylish with modern squares. Yes it's not that dense and it's under construction, but I personally prefer that and its dialogue with ancient buildings and alps than just an impressive cluster of skyscrapers (but that's it). Sorry for being long.
Old November 1st, 2015, 05:31 PM   #7758
IThomas

MILANO PORTA NUOVA

>>>

Fabio Polosa

Last edited by IThomas; November 1st, 2015 at 05:42 PM.
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 09:14 PM   #7759
nowytarg

Likes (Received): 236

Warsaw by kafarek
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafarek View Post

IMG_5783
by Robert Frw, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafarek View Post

IMG_5752
by Robert Frw, on Flickr

IMG_5754
by Robert Frw, on Flickr
Old November 1st, 2015, 09:29 PM   #7760
meteoforumitalia

Likes (Received): 10964

I agree the fact that skylines are simply the dynamic line you can see at horizon due to the presence of tall buildings. obviously the 80% of skylines (or better: clusters) looses their impact seen from street level, especially if there isn't enough density and especially if the towers are set at the city center where so many other less high buildings close the views. and we can notice it already here.

the pic taken in Milan by "Szymulek" (http://s10.postimg.org/kpycizent/20151020_152030.jpg) is taken towards the worst possible perspective.
and just for information, the exact location where it has been taken is this little square in the mid of these towers (oviously not visible in his photo), each so close to the others, as you can see:

_ ALL BY HERSELF _ by luigi re, su Flickr

new town by Luca Sironi, su Flickr

Porta Nuova Varesine by Luca Sironi, su Flickr

just at the back of the photographer :

Piazza Alvar Aalto by vszakats, su Flickr

Area Porta Nuova-Garibaldi-Varesine by Antonjo Dipa, su Flickr

Piazza Alvar Aalto by vszakats, su Flickr

more, the area in the foreground of his pic is still a construction yard where, on the left, is visible the hole for the foundations of the future "Unipol tower"

about the theme of "Milan the worst italian city", I just answer with a: just LOL as it is the second most touristic city of Italy after Rome, and as we saw few pages back, it is in the top20 most popular/touristic city in the entire world, at 15th position. and furthermore, about tourism it is improving more and more every year...

there are so many quality improvements in the city that a southern italian man (like "IlTarantino") can't even imagine

doguorsi2, jamieb010, arno-13, bicoccagio liked this post

Last edited by meteoforumitalia; November 1st, 2015 at 09:38 PM.
meteoforumitalia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw