daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #8181
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avifauna View Post
Why not everybody loves London? Hmm... I have no idea
I don't know why anyone wouldn't love London. It is architecturally magnificent. The old and the new all blend in beautifully. Surely, my favorite city in the world. I really miss the two months I have spent there.
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #8182
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edil Arda View Post
Aside from the quality of architecture (that seem to improved a lot in the last 5 years or so) I don't like how the skyscrapers seem to randomly pop-up from this low rise districts next to a highway etc. they have this suburban feel to them so it doesn't seem like they have much connection with the rest of the city, you could probably avoid them even if you live there and this fact affects my impression even when the number of high buildings in this area is pretty good by European standards.

born_ejty_siks liked this post
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #8183
WMS
BANANED BY VOLT CENTERTEL

Likes (Received): 2425

Wrong policy of urban planning That unfortunately looks rather like Manila/Jakarta style than an european city.

Fiat Lux liked this post
WMS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #8185
YalnızAdam

Likes (Received): 652

IZMIR

Old December 29th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #8188
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Likes (Received): 869

London is stunning from above.

cardiff, Greedy Sheedy liked this post
Fro7en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #8189
IThomas

M I L A N O

Artistic shots about UniCredit Tower (Porta Nuova district)...

...and Il Dritto (CityLife area)

Last edited by IThomas; December 30th, 2015 at 02:36 AM.
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #8190
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMS View Post
Wrong policy of urban planning That unfortunately looks rather like Manila/Jakarta style than an european city.
Well it is not Warsaw, Milan or Frankfurt. Istanbul is older than all the cities combined in this thread. The inner city is about 8000 years old and it is strictly forbidden to build anything tall, not even close to the inner city. The only option was to build up in the suburbs that are far away from the city core. Pretty much the entire city is a world heritage and only these far-away suburbs are suitable for taller buildings. Istanbul had to make a choice of rather being a museum city or a lively world metropol. It has chosen the latter.

Istanbul, Turkey

Old December 30th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #8191
SASH

Likes (Received): 5871

Enough of Warsaw, London and Istanbul. Here is Rotterdam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere 2020 View Post
Rotterdam

Foto: Twan Moret
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #8192
cancan-izmir

Likes (Received): 12753

İzmir

I took today,

avto_trest, KlausDiggy liked this post
cancan-izmir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #8193
Avifauna

Likes (Received): 4

My top 10 so far:

1. Frankfurt
2. Warsaw
3. Paris/Moscow
5. London
6. Istanbul
7. Rotterdam/Milan
9. Benidorm
10. Kyiv

avto_trest, KlausDiggy liked this post
Avifauna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #8194
NAMBA

Likes (Received): 626

So here comes my top ten – with a short description included.
Hope no one takes offence; after all it’s nothing more than personal taste. I wish you all a happy new year !!

1. London - great mix of old and new. Size,height,density and integration are all plus. Only a shape matter with that ugly walkie talkie , but nobody is perfect

2. The Hague - this skyline is pure style. Soooo damned dutch. New buildings fit the city’s personality like nowhere else in Europe (think of those wonderful sharp roof towers)

3. Frankfurt – classical. Respect to the ancestor of all european skylines

4. Moscow - skyline on steroids. True, all is not gold that glitters - some cheap buildings,too much of a density, set apart from the rest of the city. Nonetheless really impressive indeed

5. Rotterdam– this is where a team makes a good job. That Calatrava bridge balances the ( maybe a little bit too ) boxy buildings

6. Milan - The best contrast btw old and new on the continent, along with London. Top quality buildings, lacks height and density though. On the way up

7. Paris– where (unfortunately only) quantity makes the difference. Too many mistakes keep it far from the top row. Too many/too similar/ same height/ lack of iconic buildings/ no integration with the (amazing) city

8. Warsaw– ups: good density, height; downs: lacks personality. If it wasn't for that Palace of Culture (love it!!) I could not distinguish this skyline from an american town.

9. Istanbul - I can't help thinking that sprawl does the skyline no good. So much potential will make this huuuuge city climb this list as soon as new projects are realized

10. Izmir/Yekaterinburg – both very promising. Interesting waterfront under development and a real surprise to me respectively

stop that, KlausDiggy liked this post
NAMBA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #8195
Roxven

Likes (Received): 72

My personal top:

1. Frankfurt - without a doubt best looking skyline in Europe (one of two "tiny" cities compared to rest giants in this thread).
2. London - just little below Frankfurt. Financial capital of Europe if not World.
3. Rotterdam - love Dutch style of architecture.
4. Paris - amazing old architecture, great skyline but i sometimes have feeling it's too flat and dense.
5. Warsaw - don't know why but looks most americanish among other top ones (another "tiny" city after Frankfurt compared to other here). Great progress in last 10 years. Will be my top 3/4 in next 10 years.
6. Moscow - tallest one but extremely dense. Need more 70m-150m around the whole city.
7. Istanbul - good skyline but need more planning,
8. Milan - rising star. Will be top 5 in next 10 years.

KlausDiggy liked this post
Roxven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #8196
Avifauna

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxven View Post
5. Warsaw - don't know why but looks most americanish among other top ones (another "tiny" city after Frankfurt compared to other here). Great progress in last 10 years. Will be my top 3/4 in next 10 years.
I'm sorry but Warsaw isn't that "tiny" as You all seem to think. It's bigger for e.g. than Frankfurt, Rotterdam, The Hague, Milan and even Paris (according to wikipedia: Paris city area - 105.4 km2, Warsaw city area - 517.24 km2). And it's only 3 times smaller than London, which is probably the biggest city of Europe.

reti32 liked this post

Last edited by Avifauna; December 30th, 2015 at 01:39 PM.
Avifauna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #8197
AlexDemens
BANNED

Likes (Received): 357

Saint Petersburg

Old December 30th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #8198
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2728

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMBA View Post

9. Istanbul - I can't help thinking that sprawl does the skyline no good. So much potential will make this huuuuge city climb this list as soon as new projects are realized

10. Izmir/Yekaterinburg – both very promising. Interesting waterfront under development and a real surprise to me respectively
I don't think that Istanbul will have "better" skyline with more towers.

Izmir's future skyline will be more esthetic. They will have higher towers and they will have a 400m peak at the CBD / skyline.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1661822&page=3

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014

NAMBA liked this post
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #8199
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avifauna View Post
I'm sorry but Warsaw isn't that "tiny" as You all seem to think. It's bigger for e.g. than Frankfurt, Rotterdam, The Hague, Milan and even Paris (according to wikipedia: Paris city area - 105.4 km2, Warsaw city area - 517.24 km2). And it's only 3 times smaller than London, which is probably the biggest city of Europe.
Warsaw is not small but you should remember that Paris and London both have huge agglomerations, much bigger than their city areas (La Defense is outside of this area for example) so it's a rather misleading comparison.

born_ejty_siks liked this post
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #8200
Blackhavvk

Likes (Received): 7892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxven View Post
. Moscow - tallest one but extremely dense. Need more 70m-150m around the whole city.
Moscow has about 1,000 buildings of 25 floors (70 m +) Need more?

reti32, AlexDemens liked this post
Blackhavvk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw