daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2016, 01:14 AM   #8721
stop that
BANNED

Likes (Received): 546

1. Moscow
2.london
3.frankfurt/Istanbul
4.la defense
5.warsaw
6.rotterdam
7. Milan
8. The Hague
9. Madrid
10. Vienna
Looking at the top ten cities, you can see that most of them are growing, some very quickly (london/istanbul/Moscow), some quickly but less so (warsaw/milan) some slow but still growing (rotterdam/la defense. And a recent plus for Europe is frankfurts new growth spurt, looks like it could be a dramatic transformation.
All in all a good improvement going on in Europe's skylines.

DzhendoyanV liked this post
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2016, 02:39 AM   #8722
DCFC1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop that View Post
1. Moscow
2.london
3.frankfurt/Istanbul
4.la defense
5.warsaw
6.rotterdam
7. Milan
8. The Hague
9. Madrid
10. Vienna
Looking at the top ten cities, you can see that most of them are growing, some very quickly (london/istanbul/Moscow), some quickly but less so (warsaw/milan) some slow but still growing (rotterdam/la defense. And a recent plus for Europe is frankfurts new growth spurt, looks like it could be a dramatic transformation.
All in all a good improvement going on in Europe's skylines.
This is YOUR opinion.

And I respect this/that.
DCFC1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 02:43 AM   #8723
DCFC1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAndTide View Post
1. Frankfurt
2. Moscow
3. London
4. Rotterdam/Warsaw/Constantinople
5. Milano

From an uber PARISIAN

DCFC1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 03:12 AM   #8724
jeromekern
BANNED

Likes (Received): 255

PARIS LA DEFENSE

julianoz photographies
Old March 28th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #8725
DzhendoyanV

Likes (Received): 8290

Источник
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #8726
Check_Mate

Likes (Received): 229

Ekaterinburg
Old March 28th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #8728
WUNDER-BAUM
YaYcowałem

Likes (Received): 1682

Avangard-55 liked this post
WUNDER-BAUM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #8729
sali_haci
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 2635

Istanbul

DSC01511
by Orhan Kılıç, on Flickr

Sight of Istanbul from Camlica Hill

DSC04098

Sapphire Tower

DSC04146

DSC06180

Ovidius

Erhan, doguorsi2, firoz bharmal liked this post

Last edited by sali_haci; March 28th, 2016 at 08:14 PM.
sali_haci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #8730
Fizmo1337

Likes (Received): 62

For me:

1. Moscow: Five or 10 years ago probably not even top 5 in Europe but now nr.1. High density, high quality skyscrapers. Maybe not that many buildings (in the business district) like other cities but the quality & the height make it nr.1 for me. Great pictures aswell that show a modern high quality skyline. Cladding is great aswell.
2. Frankfurt: Used to be my nr.1 in Europe but now probably just about passed by Moscow. Still a great skyline and from 1 angle from the river on the same level with Moscow but from other angles it still lacks a bit of density. The quality of buildings/claddings is better then Paris so definately still top 2 in Europe for me. Still a great skyline based on European standards and with the proposed & U/C going on could become nr.1 again. Great pictures from the river that show a quality, dense skyline.
3. Paris: High density but lacks a few really high stand-out skyscrapers. It's more a skyline in depth and not in height and some buildings are a bit dated. I like that cube tho. It's kinda futuristic and improves La Défense. I put Paris in front of London because of that cube and because La défense has a better cluster of skyscrapers. I've seen lot's of proposals & U/C so could improve in the rankings in the coming years and even eclipse Frankfurt & Moscow but that remains to be seen.
4. London: Too widespread. Canary Wharf is great but limited in height and density (it's dense but not rly that many 'real' skyscrapers). City of London skyline is only a few buildings. Also lots of projects going on so if both Canary Wharf & London city could add a number of buildings to increase density + height it could become nr.1 in Europe with 2 skylines appearing. At the moment it's just too limited and/or widespread but it has a lot of potential. Canary Wharf is pretty neat/nice though.

Behind those 4 I guess Warsaw & Rotterdam come the closest. Istanbul could easily be top 5 if all those buildings werent so widespread. Put that in a cluster and u have a top skyline.

jamieb010, gsz87 liked this post

Last edited by Fizmo1337; March 28th, 2016 at 06:46 PM.
Fizmo1337 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #8731
TimeAndTide
U.S. Bank Tower, LA

Likes (Received): 1188

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFC1 View Post

From an uber PARISIAN

Let that be an example to you.
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #8732
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8786

Frankfurt

IMG_8585 by isopics, auf Flickr
Old March 28th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #8733
dminer

Likes (Received): 2004

Ehh, I guess new Henninger Tower will be an improvement over the eyesore of the past but I still wish it wasn't inspired by the old design so much...

TM_Germany liked this post

Last edited by dminer; March 28th, 2016 at 10:30 PM.
dminer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #8734
Jaimzz..(NL)

Likes (Received): 179

Utrecht
Old March 29th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #8735
stop that
BANNED

Likes (Received): 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizmo1337 View Post
For me:

1. Moscow: Five or 10 years ago probably not even top 5 in Europe but now nr.1. High density, high quality skyscrapers. Maybe not that many buildings (in the business district) like other cities but the quality & the height make it nr.1 for me. Great pictures aswell that show a modern high quality skyline. Cladding is great aswell.
2. Frankfurt: Used to be my nr.1 in Europe but now probably just about passed by Moscow. Still a great skyline and from 1 angle from the river on the same level with Moscow but from other angles it still lacks a bit of density. The quality of buildings/claddings is better then Paris so definately still top 2 in Europe for me. Still a great skyline based on European standards and with the proposed & U/C going on could become nr.1 again. Great pictures from the river that show a quality, dense skyline.
3. Paris: High density but lacks a few really high stand-out skyscrapers. It's more a skyline in depth and not in height and some buildings are a bit dated. I like that cube tho. It's kinda futuristic and improves La Défense. I put Paris in front of London because of that cube and because La défense has a better cluster of skyscrapers. I've seen lot's of proposals & U/C so could improve in the rankings in the coming years and even eclipse Frankfurt & Moscow but that remains to be seen.
4. London: Too widespread. Canary Wharf is great but limited in height and density (it's dense but not rly that many 'real' skyscrapers). City of London skyline is only a few buildings. Also lots of projects going on so if both Canary Wharf & London city could add a number of buildings to increase density + height it could become nr.1 in Europe with 2 skylines appearing. At the moment it's just too limited and/or widespread but it has a lot of potential. Canary Wharf is pretty neat/nice though.

Behind those 4 I guess Warsaw & Rotterdam come the closest. Istanbul could easily be top 5 if all those buildings werent so widespread. Put that in a cluster and u have a top skyline.
Good post. My thoughts on a couple of your points regarding density.
La defense and frankfurts are surrounded by low rises so an illusion of density is created by the fact that buildings that would be invisible in the city of London or Moscow look like towers in La defense and frankfurt, and these buildings make up most of the so called density of la defence/frankfurt. If you put La defense or frankfurt skyline in the city of London, much of it would dissappear. The city of London is full of towers that are invisible, only the tallest towers can be seen and even then it's only the top half. Buildings like the Willis tower 135m, aviva tower 125m, all the 100m-150m towers like stock exchange, 9 bishopsgate, nido, angel court, citypoint, heron court etc etc none of them are visible, but it's buildings like these that make up most of the density of La defebse/frankfurt. All the 25fl+ aldgate towers and all the other -100m towers in the COL are also not visible in the city of London. If you put all the city of London towers in an area like La defense or frankfurt it would look much denser and if you put la defense/frankfurt in the city of london there apparent density would be greatly reduced. Frankfurt has enough 200m+ to still look good in the city of London but the majority of the rest of its towers -150m, along with its density, would dissappear. La defense would be even worse, with most of its towers invisible and only one 200m+ to be a peak with the tops of a few 150m+ around it, suddenly the density is gone

Atrium liked this post
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #8736
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8786

Quote:
If you put La defense or frankfurt skyline in the city of London, much of it would dissappear. The city of London is full of towers that are invisible, only the tallest towers can be seen and even then it's only the top half.

I think they have no idea of the size of Frankfurt skyline.

The City of London would fit well into the Banking district of Frankfurt and nevertheless hardly be noticed.

The heights of the building are about the same.

City of London
Leadenhall Building = 225m
and Heron Tower = 202m (230m)
Tower 42 = 183
30 St. Mary Axe = 180m
Broadgate Tower = 164m
20 Fenchurch Street = 160m

against

Skyline Frankfurt
Commerzbank Tower = 259
Messeturm = 257m
Westend T. = 208m
Maintower =200m (240m)
PwC-Tower = 200m
Trianon = 186
Taunusturm = 170m
Opernturm = 170m
Silberturm = 166m
Westendgate = 159m
D- Bank T. = 155m
D- Bank T. = 155m
Skyper = 154m

Ostend

ECB-Tower = 185m

Frankfurt Skyline - Google Maps
https://www.google.de/maps/@50.09217.../data=!3m1!1e3

City of London - Google Maps
https://www.google.de/maps/@51.49816...!3m1!1e3?hl=de

TM_Germany liked this post

Last edited by KlausDiggy; March 29th, 2016 at 03:38 PM.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #8737
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

ROTTERDAM

Rotterdam : Netherlands by Benjamin Ballande, on Flickr

Rotterdam vandaag by Marco Raaphorst, on Flickr
Old March 29th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #8738
tramwaj
Nasalis larvatus

Likes (Received): 3988

Warsaw

gsz87 liked this post
tramwaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #8739
dminer

Likes (Received): 2004

Quote:
suddenly the density is gone
But it's not gone "just cause they would be invisible in London and Moscow". Going by this logic I could say neither London or Moscow have any skyline whatsoever because all their 200-300m towers would look invisible in center of Dubai, Hong Kong Central district, Pudong or Midtown Manhattan. The only context that matters is the city itself each respective skyline is located in and that's why Frankfurt will remain Europe #1 for few more years at leat, until London finishes building its multiple projects and/or Moscow adds some more towers around IBC core of handful of showpiece towers.

KlausDiggy, jamieb010 liked this post

Last edited by dminer; March 29th, 2016 at 05:29 PM.
dminer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #8740
Adler1

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
If you put La defense or frankfurt skyline in the city of London, much of it would dissappear.
I doubt that, I used to live in London and never had the feeling being surrounded by huge towers. Frankfurt's 250m+ towers would stand out easily and its 200m+ towers would still be visible from most angles...

meteoforumitalia liked this post
Adler1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw