daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #9921
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Izmir Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by meds View Post

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLjWBI8gAMj/

Umarim hep tek renk isiklandirma olur. Ozel gunlerde falan renkli birsey yapabilirler

gedoogbeleid liked this post

Last edited by doguorsi2; October 15th, 2016 at 12:35 PM.
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #9923
frankfurtgermany

Likes (Received): 160

DISCUSS: Best Modern European Skyline (Part3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post

London is epic.. and even more so within the next 10 years. Their skyline could easily be compared with top notch world skylines.
Old October 15th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #9924
Burrazer

Likes (Received): 305

Berlin

source: http://blog_it.all-berlin-apartments.com/

Aztecaa13 liked this post
Burrazer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #9925
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

Obviously not the best in Europe, but we started to develop something of a silhouet in recent years Eindhoven the Netherlands:

QVP, gedoogbeleid liked this post
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #9926
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

@Burrazer, you are not doing Berlin any favors with these huge, old and unflattering images.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #9929
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Brum definitely needs more towers in order to have any chances of competing with Manchester.

Union Man liked this post
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #9930
SputnikBooster
:)

Likes (Received): 4693

Cologne

Photos are taken from the 2013 Wikipedia hot air balloon project
Eckhard Henkel / Wikimedia Commons / CC BY-SA 3.0 DE

Blingchampion, Pew, gedoogbeleid, antyqjon liked this post
SputnikBooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #9931
NAMBA

Likes (Received): 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
@Burrazer, you are not doing Berlin any favors with these huge, old and unflattering images.
regardless of its skyline, Berlin succeeds in being the most inspiring european capital to me
Old October 16th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #9932
affirmation

Likes (Received): 80

The Netherlands is quite more depressing than the USA with their cities ALL having the same-looking pavements for example and the similar architecture. Even Germany is more varied, not to mention Central Europe where every town and city is different. It looks like communist heaven - no individuality, all residential districts in most cities look the same, pavement tiles the same everywhere. Only Amsterdam stands out as a bit different.

idejukauss09 liked this post
affirmation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #9933
Sky HI

Likes (Received): 794

The Hague (Den Haag)

Sky HI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #9934
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4542

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmation View Post
The Netherlands is quite more depressing than the USA with their cities ALL having the same-looking pavements for example and the similar architecture. Even Germany is more varied, not to mention Central Europe where every town and city is different. It looks like communist heaven - no individuality, all residential districts in most cities look the same, pavement tiles the same everywhere. Only Amsterdam stands out as a bit different.
The country is just too small to be super varied, it could make a single province in a bigger country so it's a weird comparison. They have some pretty distinctive style though, also when it comes to modern architecture and it's copied all around the world.
Old October 16th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #9936
affirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
The country is just too small to be super varied, it could make a single province in a bigger country so it's a weird comparison. They have some pretty distinctive style though, also when it comes to modern architecture and it's copied all around the world.
To be less negative, I have to mention that I like some areas in Tilburg where I currently live. Namely near the Rueckertbaan and also Kraaiven, Stockhasselt, and De Schans. They are very green with lots of trees along the roads and nicely organized. Some parts closer to the city center (but not in the center) on the other hand I find less nice (hence why I refuse to shop at the Westermarkt despite living close to it ).

That said I just adore the rural areas, the fields with the Dutch farms and little country houses and some areas with many populieren (sp?), I mean poplars.
But let's get back on topic - when it comes to cities I think Amsterdam looks the best for old architecture, but from a far I love how Arnhem and Nijmegen look. Sure not a lot skyscrapers or at all, but it's so cozy every time I travel by train. They look very nice without trying too hard to impress with many tall buildings and I like that. The trolleybuses in Arnhem also remind me of my home city and I find them cool. Definitely underrated:

[IMG]http://thumbs.*****************/8dede640a50a87c6f29df8f38b60959a_950x600_fit.jpg[/IMG]

https://wehaveanyspace.com/sites/def...?itok=nbrUME_V
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #9937
werner10

Likes (Received): 831

Quote:
The country is very small, for sure - which explains a lot! But besides that - this comparison is indeed seriously flawed since there is quite a difference in styles over here. For instance between cities in the (protestant) North like Groningen, Haarlem, Alkmaar and the ones in the South (with a more latin flavour) like Breda or Maastricht. But also between the cities in the east and the west (but due to time constraints I will not point out this east/west divide any further).

Last but not least, there are places like Rotterdam, Zoetermeer and Almere that can be considered new towns witch have a very distinct (post)modern look.

I will give you a very, very short overview (just to make the point)...:

The white houses in the South (thorn):

source: wikipedia

The wooden houses in the North of Holland:

The cities in the South have a more Roman inspired style... check Maastricht:

Versus.... a typical city in the north like Delft (the city of Johannes Vermeer):

And of course there is Amsterdam - a city that has its own style

Its called the Amsterdam school style...

And of course there is Rotterdam... very (post)modern:

by eric offereins

by jumpstyle4ever

Last edited by werner10; October 16th, 2016 at 09:18 PM.
werner10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #9938
Oranje Strijder
UP!

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Err, what? Do we even live in the same country? Every city in this country has its own distinct feel. I live in Nijmegen and if I travel just north up the river to Arnhem it's a whole different experience. And the same applies to Brabant. Tilburg, Breda, Eindhoven and 's-Hertogenbosch are all very different cities while being very close to each other.

One thing is for sure though, calling our cozy cities depressing and comparing them to the mostly clinical and modern American cities does them immense injustice.

CitoyenNéerlandais liked this post
Oranje Strijder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #9939
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje Strijder View Post
Err, what? Do we even live in the same country? Every city in this country has its own distinct feel. I live in Nijmegen and if I travel just north up the river to Arnhem it's a whole different experience. And the same applies to Brabant. Tilburg, Breda, Eindhoven and 's-Hertogenbosch are all very different cities while being very close to each other.

One thing is for sure though, calling our cozy cities depressing and comparing them to the mostly clinical and modern American cities does them immense injustice.
I'd take it a step further and say the OP's post is almost not worth responding to. To make a comparison with the US is absurd. Which 'US', anyway?
Incidentally, I quite like the no nonsense 'straightforward' modernism of Dutch cities. Is it always particularly declarative or different? No, But its pragmatism has its own attraction.

CitoyenNéerlandais liked this post
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #9940
affirmation

No, I mean they're alike compared to Eastern Europe and Central Europe, where you have quite the difference even withing the same city. For example, the pavements there are far more varied, you even have 10 different types of pavements in ONE city there (asphalt, hexagon tiles, big square tiles, small tiles, etc. all in ONE city), while all pavements in the Netherlands seem to have those same-size and color tiles. And that makes the overall look and feel uniform. After all, the pavement is one of the things that most everyday-living people see the most, even if they don't realize it lol. I love the 2- or 3-story terraced houses in the Dutch neighborhoods with their back-alleys and rear doors though, they look so cozy for living.

doguorsi2 liked this post

Last edited by affirmation; October 18th, 2016 at 01:28 PM.

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw