daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2014, 02:48 AM   #1101
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Frankfurt:

Mainhattan City Lights von jAdo85 auf Flickr

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:16 AM   #1102
Vedymin

Likes (Received): 37

Frankfurt am Main Skyline (April 2014)

Frawolf77 even thought about labelling individual towers. How nice is that:

Courtesy: © 2014 Frawolf77 - All rights reserved (https://www.flickr.com/photos/frawolf77/)
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:53 AM   #1103
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Frankfurt was my favorite until Istanbul and London boomed. It is still in my top 5 though.

1.London(No doubt, imo)
2.Istanbul(a huge world capital. Plus I am biased )
3.Frankfurt(it is a classic and very classy)
4.Paris(Will be 3rd if they build taller ones)
5.Moscow/Warsaw(I like that Warsaw's towers are in the city center but I really like the height in Moscow. So it is a close battle)

Ivanator, serhat, gsz87, Union Man liked this post
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 04:21 AM   #1104
Vedymin

Apart from not being too cluttered, what I also appreciate with the Frankfurt skyline is that it's got unique features, namely lush green vegetation, a crowned mountain backdrop, a battery of bridges and cute little rooftops with variegated shades of dark. Once depicted, all of these visual displays have a very soothing effect on the mind. It tends to draw universal consensus
Vedymin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:25 AM   #1105
vinttt

Likes (Received): 13975

Moscow by Kishjar

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:45 AM   #1106
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerdude View Post
My list using actual metrics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...st_skyscrapers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rise_buildings

1) Moscow

2) Istanbul

3) London

4) Paris

5) Frankfurt

Your list I agree. Only your sources from Wikipedia are wrong.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:53 AM   #1107
KlausDiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedymin View Post
Frankfurt am Main Skyline (April 2014)

Courtesy: © 2014 Frawolf77 - All rights reserved (https://www.flickr.com/photos/frawolf77/)
Very nice work. Great.

vinttt, NAMBA liked this post
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:58 AM   #1108
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2267

Frankfurt is like a typical middle size US city - cluster and family houses, nothing interesting.

Vitaly93, Zefire liked this post
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:15 PM   #1109
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

I don't get people in here... There is a really amazing Frankfurt panorama posted and the first thing people do is talking it down and calling the city "uninteresting".
Get real, guys... Moscow's towers might be higher, but the actual cluster is really small, like a fraction of Frankfurt's. London's two clusters are too far apart to form a consistent skyline and on their own neither CW or the City are able to hold a candle to Frankfurt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfvgffm View Post
Today i had the chance to make a Panorama of Frankfurt seen from a very nice perspective, nearly all highrises are visible and together with the new european central bank u get a really nice view of the clusters.

See a big version on my Flickr account:

Skyline Frankfurt Panorama von frawolf77 auf Flickr

Panorama by me.
The only city having a more impressive European skyline might be Paris. It just needs two or three higher towers.

KlausDiggy, Rokugatsu, xanterra liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:27 PM   #1110
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

I still prefer Frankfurt over the incoherent glass collection of Moscow.
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:33 PM   #1111
rolio

Likes (Received): 3154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
I still prefer Frankfurt over the incoherent glass collection of Moscow.
Same for me. And London doesn't have a cluster like Frankfurt has.
Though, Skyscraperus is right when he says Frankfurt is like a typical middle size US city. But the fact is that US cities are very in advanced over Europe in terms of skyline, so when an European city have a skyline like an American city, it makes it one of the best skyline in Europe.

KlausDiggy liked this post
rolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 04:38 PM   #1112
KlausDiggy

I also see that more as a compliment. Which city in Europe can claim to look like an American city.

Although the Docklands in London have the typical box skyscrapers, but the cluster is still too small. The City cluster is for me not a skyline in the American sense.

Although Paris has a density Skyline, but it lacks the highs and lows make up a perfect skyline. Paris needs more buildings between 200-250m.

Moscow is again the opposite. There are too many supertalls and few skyscrapers between 150-250m.

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:54 PM   #1113
Nubian_Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1603

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
I also see that more as a compliment. Which city in Europe can claim to look like an American city.

Although the Docklands in London have the typical box skyscrapers, but the cluster is still too small. The City cluster is for me not a skyline in the American sense.

Although Paris has a density Skyline, but it lacks the highs and lows make up a perfect skyline. Paris needs more buildings between 200-250m.

Moscow is again the opposite. There are too many supertalls and few skyscrapers between 150-250m.

Here is the thing Moscow is the only city with many super talls in Europe and that is the reason why small and short skylines are invisible, as opposed to Frankfurt which has a short skyline and all buildings are visible thus the skylines looks bigger.

Moscow has a creative and a futuristic skyline as opposed to the rest of Europe a standard copy/paste of an American skyline, Frankfurt skyline lacks its own signature as opposed to Moscow, any one who sees Moscow skyline would know it from the start, as opposed to Frankfurt which can be mistaken for any other city!

Vitaly93, nookie, vinttt, croomm, Zefire liked this post
Nubian_Warrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:37 PM   #1114
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2267

When I say that Frankfurt is like a typical middle size US city, I mean that beside that glass buildings (beautiful only for birds) is nothing else worse to see. Paris and London are world class metropolis without theirs skyscrapers. When we eventually turn of all theirs skyscrapers we don't loose much. That Frankfurt buildings will be more interesting in city like Munich.

Zefire liked this post
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:57 PM   #1115
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Warsaw

There appears to be a second cluster forming.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...70776&page=256

human187, vinttt liked this post
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:13 PM   #1116
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Warsaw

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...544598&page=11

Rokugatsu, vinttt, Union.SLO, Nijal, Colombos and 1 others liked this post
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:51 PM   #1117
KlausDiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
When I say that Frankfurt is like a typical middle size US city, I mean that beside that glass buildings (beautiful only for birds) is nothing else worse to see. Paris and London are world class metropolis without theirs skyscrapers. When we eventually turn of all theirs skyscrapers we don't loose much. That Frankfurt buildings will be more interesting in city like Munich.
After Munich belong no skyscrapers. If then could there only build in the outskirts, similar how Vienna. And Frankfurt's skyline is therefore how an American city, because the skyscrapers are next to residential areas and in the city center.

I think Berlin as a million city is more suitable for skyscrapers,
since the city has no direct old town and is constructed from multiple centers. And there's been a few years the endeavor to build higher and higher.
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:57 PM   #1118
KlausDiggy

Munich skyline

stadtbild-deutschland.org

image hosted on flickr

Munich - Mae West Sculpture por Rolandito., en Flickr
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:05 PM   #1119
Rokugatsu

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Moscow has a creative and a futuristic skyline as opposed to the rest of Europe a standard copy/paste of an American skyline, Frankfurt skyline lacks its own signature as opposed to Moscow, any one who sees Moscow skyline would know it from the start, as opposed to Frankfurt which can be mistaken for any other city!
Just because something is original doesn't mean it's good, those few skyscrapers in Moscow sure are different, but it doesn't mean it's better, I don't like them for example, they are very tacky and doesn't look good together.

Also, I see a difference in architecture between Frankfurt/Paris/Warsaw/Rotterdam and the cities in the US and I'm sure many people do, if you don't then maybe you should look closer.
Rokugatsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:18 PM   #1120
Vedymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
Definitely a moot point. Isn't skyscrapers' skyline the point, gist and subject matter of this thread. I've been on holidays to Frankfurt and Munich and don't see much difference between these 2 cities putting aside the Oktoberfest. Frankfurt is close enough to cities like Melbourne, Montreal, Seattle in terms of GVA, GDP, income level, labor productivity, urban population, quality and quantity of infrastructure. The latter is far from being a midsize US city. Admittedly, it doesn't have the Grand Slam or F1 grand prix but it's a top-notch financial center, major convention center venue with scores of world-class museums. Adding to that its close proximity to prominent wine growing centers (Wiesbaden, Mainz, etc.). As a vivid bustling Alpha City that is positively confronting the euro crisis, Frankfurt has a lot to offer from the sparse resources it can afford, being Germany's 5th largest city.

Image Courtesy: © European Central Bank/Robert Metsch

KlausDiggy liked this post
Vedymin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw