daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #121
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,103
Likes (Received): 4147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
So it has a higher density, good for you!
Why do you Brits (in this forum at least) always have to claim the highest, biggest, best, most expensive, most iconic...whatever. It's a little annoying and the only reason I chimed in.
It's not a claim. It's a fact. I've just said Hafen city is a little bit bigger in terms of area than Nine Elms by 0.2km2. The floor space being developed at Nine Elms however is considerably larger.

However in terms of area Stratford City is 2.5km2. Which is larger than Hafencity.

You were the one who made the claim in the first place. I originally said "probably" which is not a definate "claim" - it was a assumption on it's massive scale as I am not aware of all major projects planned in the vast swathe of Europe.

Maybe it's more a case of you having a chip on shoulder attitude. You can't ignore facts. I'm not a Londoner. Infact I could go on to say that Birmingham has the largest city masterplan in place in the whole of Europe but it wasn't relevant to the discussion so what is the point.

Nine Elms in terms of overall construction floorspace is the largest development being undertaken in Europe. Why would you want to believe something different when it wouldn't be true? That is your argument.

You can't throw your toys out the pram if the information you believe to be true, isn't. You can't just choose what you want to believe is right.

Stratford City - 2.5km2
Hafen City - 2.2km2
Nine Elms - 2.0km2

Also in the context of discussion of the best European Skylines, Nine Elms and Stratford City will have serious impacts on the London Skyline where in comparison Hafencity will have limited impact and an already non existant skyline.

Both re-developments in London are designated highrise clusters of towers We are talking 20+ 100m at both sites roughly.

You may want to use area as the basis of your argument, but if that was to be the case, Stratford topples Hafencity in area while Nine Elms topples Stratford City in commericial and residential space.
__________________

Last edited by Birmingham; February 25th, 2014 at 05:29 PM.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #122
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3
 
the man from k-town's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Heidelberg
Posts: 3,931
Likes (Received): 7221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
I wish we had a Messeturm
my favorite tower in Europe

more FRANKFURT

image hosted on flickr

skylyne. von universaldilletant auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Skyline Frankfurt Panorama von frawolf77 auf Flickr
__________________
Rise high into the SKY!

Last edited by the man from k-town; February 25th, 2014 at 06:03 PM.
the man from k-town no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #123
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3
 
the man from k-town's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Heidelberg
Posts: 3,931
Likes (Received): 7221

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Best newcomer of the year....MILANO
well, but this is Istanbul on the pic right?
__________________
Rise high into the SKY!
the man from k-town no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #124
aarhusforever
EU citizen
 
aarhusforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aarhus/Europe
Posts: 7,078
Likes (Received): 9118

@Birmingham - I liked your post, because you turned the topic back to skylines ...however I don't understand this sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Hafencity will have limited impact and an already non existant skyline.
Just because Hamburg doesn't have one of the largest or best skylines in Europe, it doesn't mean the city is without a skyline...I actually think it has a very nice skyline with new highrises and old tall church spires...but that's just my opinion
__________________
EUROPE - many states - one nation

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

flierfy liked this post
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #125
aarhusforever
EU citizen
 
aarhusforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aarhus/Europe
Posts: 7,078
Likes (Received): 9118

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man from k-town View Post
well, but this is Istanbul on the pic right?
Yes, it's Levent
__________________
EUROPE - many states - one nation

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #126
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,103
Likes (Received): 4147

Quote:
Just because Hamburg doesn't have one of the largest or best skylines in Europe, it doesn't mean the city is without a skyline...I actually think it has a very nice skyline with new highrises and old tall church spires...but that's just my opinion
Non existant modern skyline. The moderators posts on this forum dictate that we are only discussing "modern skylines" with skyscrapers.

Of course Hamburg has a skyline, every city in the world has a skyline. I should have clarified but I assumed all read early posts on this new thread by the mod's which told us what we are allowed to discuss.

I also didn't say I "didn't like" the skyline. I didn't even comment on my thoughts on it's asthetic appeal.

It does have a nice historical skyline, however, for the sake of this thread. It is non existant.
__________________

aarhusforever liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #127
Erhan
Registered User
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 14,203
Likes (Received): 10551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
I wish we had a Messeturm
The day after I wrote this a new project was announced in Istanbul, not exactly Messeturm but it will be the tower in Istanbul that looks most like it

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...8&postcount=23
__________________
"İnşallah bu cinayet bitmeden hükümet değişir"
- RTE

aarhusforever liked this post
Erhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #128
aarhusforever
EU citizen
 
aarhusforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aarhus/Europe
Posts: 7,078
Likes (Received): 9118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Non existant modern skyline. The moderators posts on this forum dictate that we are only discussing "modern skylines" with skyscrapers.

Of course Hamburg has a skyline, every city in the world has a skyline. I should have clarified but I assumed all read early posts on this new thread by the mod's which told us what we are allowed to discuss.

I also didn't say I "didn't like" the skyline. I didn't even comment on my thoughts on it's asthetic appeal.

It does have a nice historical skyline, however, for the sake of this thread. It is non existant.
I never claimed you didn't like the skyline I merely stated that Hamburg has a skyline, that's all ...but you meant concerning modern skyscrapers in Hamburg, and in that sense I'm with you

and the rules say "Only skyline photos of the modern skyscrapers allowed"...I hartly think anyone minded I mentioned the churchspires in Hamburg as they are a very important part of this city

I often post Hamburg skyline photos in SSC, but never in this one, as this is about the best skylines in our wonderful Europe
__________________
EUROPE - many states - one nation

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #129
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK
 
www.sercan.de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 27,958
Likes (Received): 2725

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man from k-town View Post
well, but this is Istanbul on the pic right?
I was going to post the pics and saw the milano pics. Prerfered to have bothz in one post
__________________
International titles of Galatasaray SK
UEFA Europa League (1): 2000
UEFA Super Cup (1): 2000

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #130
doguorsi2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,633
Likes (Received): 7047

Istanbul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaybarsKirman View Post
__________________

aarhusforever, vinttt liked this post
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #131
KlausDiggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Leipzig
Posts: 4,175
Likes (Received): 8900

Frankfurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
Alle Fotos von Markus Pavlowsky auf Flickr


image hosted on flickr
__________________
KlausDiggy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #132
bbcwallander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 306
Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
If by 'more highrises' you mean erect another 300-500 buildings over 100m, I would have to agree. Then again, you could say that for any city.
I don't think London will ever look like those cities mentioned, the imposed sight lines for St Pauls, Westminster and the Tower of London (which is a positive thing in my opinion) mean clusters are forming in a variety of places around the City and are actively being encouraged close to the many large transport hubs (Nine Elms, Stratford, London Bridge Quarter, Canary Wharf etc)

There are also a vast number of parks dotted around the city (sorry to those who are sick of the superlatives, but there are more parks in London than any other major city), plus many conservation areas, UNESCO sites and large Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian boroughs that are protected.

It is personal taste of course, but personally i am delighted by the prospect of having multiple clusters with many mini skylines dotted around the city.

Together this will form an incredible panoramic that will be unique in world terms, unfortunately there are only 2 or 3 vantage points where you can see all of these clusters in one shot, until that is, they develop even wider panoramic lenses.

Exciting times for the original metropolis - 'the big smoke' as it was known as throughout the Victorian period, is finally going vertical!

About time in my book!
__________________

aarhusforever liked this post
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #133
Denjiro
Heathen
 
Denjiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saigon
Posts: 6,573
Likes (Received): 7119

Moscow

image hosted on flickr

*** by PhoenixRoofing164, on Flickr
__________________
Vietnam ღ
SAIGONHANOIDANANG
Denjiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #134
TimeAndTide
U.S. Bank Tower, LA
 
TimeAndTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tokyo / Paris
Posts: 599
Likes (Received): 1190

Paris

hosted on flickr
__________________
"Every man has two countries : his own and France."
Thomas Jefferson

vinttt liked this post
TimeAndTide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #135
KlausDiggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Leipzig
Posts: 4,175
Likes (Received): 8900

Graphics on the future skyscraper in Berlin

without Atlas Tower, Square3


Graphics of the Tagesspiegel




Berlin is booming
__________________

aarhusforever, vinttt, hseugut, Zaz965 liked this post
KlausDiggy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #136
aarhusforever
EU citizen
 
aarhusforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aarhus/Europe
Posts: 7,078
Likes (Received): 9118

Hague:

image hosted on flickr

Skyline The hague by eelcodejong, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The City. by eelcodejong, on Flickr

__________________
EUROPE - many states - one nation

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

doguorsi2, vinttt liked this post
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #137
doguorsi2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,633
Likes (Received): 7047

I don't know if it is wrong or right to use traditional elements to build modern high rises. It is such a controversial topic for all architects including myself. On the other hand, Hague's skyscrapers are very unique and embrace a lot of cultural references. I find it pretty interesting/successful and it definitely looks much cozier than its brother, Rotterdam. Also, I like that it is very compact. Interior lights are matching and it creates a delicious harmony. The city itself looks very clean and well planned. This might be my third favorite Dutch city after Amsterdam and Groningen
__________________

Birmingham liked this post
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #138
SASH
Registered User
 
SASH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,172
Likes (Received): 5871

ROTTERDAM

My favorite Dutch City.

image hosted on flickr

Skyline Reflection by Brian van Daal, on Flickr
__________________
SASH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #139
Denjiro
Heathen
 
Denjiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saigon
Posts: 6,573
Likes (Received): 7119

Moscow

image hosted on flickr

Light play by PhoenixRoofing164, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Red Sky, Blue Ground by PhoenixRoofing164, on Flickr
__________________
Vietnam ღ
SAIGONHANOIDANANG

Last edited by Denjiro; February 26th, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
Denjiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #140
hseugut
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,438
Likes (Received): 784

A shame that Russia's economy is slowing down, we hope to see more towers !
hseugut no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium