daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #161
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

I don't even know what Liverpool looks like. Why don't you guys post pics of Liverpool here so we would all appreciate the beauty?

By the way, Galatasaray is going to beat the hell out of Chelsea tonight in Istanbul
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #162
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

I never post skyline photos of Liverpool in this thread, as this is for the best skylines in Europe...and Liverpool isn't quiet there yet.

But try this link...just click the arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarhusforever View Post

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #163
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarhusforever View Post
I never post skyline photos of Liverpool in this thread, as this is for the best skylines in Europe...and Liverpool isn't quiet there yet.

But try this link...just click the arrow
That's right. Thanks for the link!
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #164
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Frankfurt:

IMG_1028_HDRM by EOS-Tommy, on Flickr

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

Last edited by aarhusforever; February 27th, 2014 at 03:37 AM.
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #165
human187
человек187

Likes (Received): 7388

Moscow IBC yesterday (view from the ground), by me:

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/pictor2/view/829825/

To feel the height - grey building in the mid has 25 floors (and is two times closer than IBC).

vinttt, KlausDiggy, aarhusforever liked this post

Last edited by human187; February 27th, 2014 at 08:53 AM.
human187 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #166
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcwallander View Post
I don't think London will ever look like those cities mentioned, the imposed sight lines for St Pauls, Westminster and the Tower of London (which is a positive thing in my opinion) mean clusters are forming in a variety of places around the City and are actively being encouraged close to the many large transport hubs (Nine Elms, Stratford, London Bridge Quarter, Canary Wharf etc)
Agree. London skyscraper construction is constrained by its historical built form and sight lines. Most cities have these issues, but it's a bigger obstacle in London than most.

Quote:
It is personal taste of course, but personally i am delighted by the prospect of having multiple clusters with many mini skylines dotted around the city.

Together this will form an incredible panoramic that will be unique in world terms, unfortunately there are only 2 or 3 vantage points where you can see all of these clusters in one shot, until that is, they develop even wider panoramic lenses.
I prefer having lots of clusters too, but you should keep in mind that London is hardly the only city that has multiple clusters. London is not unique in that regard at all. I can think of 3 north American cities alone (New York, Toronto, Los Angeles) that have as many clusters as London + a massive one downtown.

Quote:
Exciting times for the original metropolis - 'the big smoke' as it was known as throughout the Victorian period, is finally going vertical!

About time in my book!
Interesting. Victorian Toronto was referred to as 'The Big Smoke' and still is today. Btw, isn't Rome the original metropolis? They got to 1 million inhabitants a good 1800 years before London. Come to think of it, there are lots of cities in Asia that were there a thousands years before London as well.

Just curious, do you prefer Canary Wharf or 'The City'?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; February 27th, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:19 AM   #167
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8765

Ankara Skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by na-bay View Post

ramblingwejak.blogspot.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
80 sene evvel düzenlenip şehir olmuş bir yer için ne acı görüntüler bunlar. Hele bu şehir bir başkentse... İstanbul Avcılar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arda84 View Post
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #168
KlausDiggy

Frankfurt

by epizentrum on DAF

by Beggi on DAF

by Adama on DAF

Basnix, aarhusforever, vinttt liked this post
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #169
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7095

Frankfurt am Main

image hosted on flickr

A Dream of Lights by _flowtation, on Flickr

KlausDiggy, Tiaren, vinttt liked this post
Denjiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #170
Denjiro
Heathen

Vienna

image hosted on flickr

Eröffnung DC-Tower by Robert F. Photography, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Eröffnung DC-Tower by Robert F. Photography, on Flickr

KlausDiggy, vinttt liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #171
Denjiro
Heathen

Paris

Paris city Twilight by PIERRE LECLERC PHOTO, on Flickr

Paris city from the Eiffel Tower by PIERRE LECLERC PHOTO, on Flickr

vinttt, J.Kevin liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #172
KlausDiggy

Please show only current images.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #173
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. London skyscraper construction is constrained by its historical built form and sight lines. Most cities have these issues, but it's a bigger obstacle in London than most.

I prefer having lots of clusters too, but you should keep in mind that London is hardly the only city that has multiple clusters. London is not unique in that regard at all. I can think of 3 north American cities alone (New York, Toronto, Los Angeles) that have as many clusters as London + a massive one downtown.

Interesting. Victorian Toronto was referred to as 'The Big Smoke' and still is today. Btw, isn't Rome the original metropolis? They got to 1 million inhabitants a good 1800 years before London. Come to think of it, there are lots of cities in Asia that were there a thousands years before London as well.

Just curious, do you prefer Canary Wharf or 'The City'?
Im not sure I said that London will be the only city in the world with multiple clusters? Maybe you misunderstood. I meant that it has a very unique mixture of areas, styles and fabric that has evolved over centuries. These conditions, plus the staggering demand for property in London is effectively forcing the development of small clusters to be formed all over the city. I am well travelled and can't think of another city that is similar. I don't mean it is better or worse, simply - unique.

I don't think there too many comparisons with the cities you mentioned either, other than New York, Los Angeles and London are all megacities with vast sprawling metropolitan areas and huge populations (Paris and Istanbul too - seeing as though we are on the Euro thread and not North American).

Toronto is a much smaller city and provincial in comparison (no offence intended of course). It obviously has a very dense downtown but it dosnt have the same polycentric sprawl in the way megacities do.

Obviously there were many cities that reached 1million inhabitants before London, but in the modern era London was easily the largest and the first industrialised city on the planet, hence why it is often referred to as 'the original or first' and also why it was known as the 'big smoke'. Many cities copied this nickname or even adapted it, for example 'the big apple', which springs to mind.

I didn't know Toronto adopted the name too, not surprising really, Toronto was a British colony and dominated by the English WASPS, very much looking across the pond to the mother country.

When i went to Toronto my Canadian friends always referred to it as 'hog town'!

In answer to your question, I prefer the City to Canary Wharf, when you stand on the banks of the Thames, near the Tower of London you can see architectural styles going back hundreds of years, I love the mix of old and new, you can really appreciate the history of the city. You get the same feeling in some parts of Paris too, so I guess London and Paris although different in many ways are the closest thing to a comparison you can get. Ive never been to Moscow, but it must be similar, seeing the Kremlin, turning and then seeing MIBC rising in the distance.

Inspiring stuff!

Anyway, the point of my original post was that it is exciting times for skyscraper fans in London at the moment, we have been starved for so long and now there are 200 skyscrapers planned all over the city and clusters forming in many different parts of the city. Not everyone is happy with that, but you are on a skyscraper forum, so expect all Londoners to be full of glee at the moment.

There really is huge investment going on, staggering really and many in the rest of the UK feel hard done too, but London is so attractive to investors it is a no brainer, hence the huge numbers of developments, which outside of China is only possibly matched by New York.

PS Don't shoot the messenger! Be happy for London skyscraper fans! Londoners have waited long enough!

Isn't it great discussing rather than just posting the same skyline shots over and over.... I think we all know what Frankfurt looks like from the river or what La Defense looks like.

Can we have some more of these discussions please - great stuff!

The title of the thread is DISCUSS!

Good on you isaidso!

Architecture lover liked this post

Last edited by bbcwallander; February 27th, 2014 at 11:55 PM.
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #174
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Yes, I agree! But when I have to put up with posts like this below regarding London, it gets to be a bit much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaro View Post
I suppouse we all know London skyline is going to be one of the best in the world....

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaro View Post
@QuantumX : My last opinion deserved for some respect... especially from administrator. Your answer was needless. And yes! I suppouse - wait, no I know it - keep waiting and London skyline in 10-15 years will be better than 90% of american skylines. If you want to answer my opinion - do it without needless words. Thank you.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #175
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

o.k.lets discuss: London is the best city of the universe end of the discussion; now the brits are
for all the others: Moscow and Paris got the most impressive skylines

vinttt, Zefire liked this post
Sid Vicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #176
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8164

This thread is beyond embarrassing. Every time you come here its filled with the same handful of trolls talking the same bs. Mods should either start cleaning it or close it altogether.

doguorsi2 liked this post
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #177
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
o.k.lets discuss: London is the best city of the universe end of the discussion; now the brits are
for all the others: Moscow and Paris got the most impressive skylines
YOU CAN STOP IT RIGHT NOW!
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old February 28th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #178
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
This thread is beyond embarrassing. Every time you come here its filled with the same handful of trolls talking the same bs. Mods should either start cleaning it or close it altogether.
El Greco you got an infraction by accident. I'll have Yellow Fever fix it. Mind you we just closed the damn thread and cleaned it up!

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #179
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8164

I guess best thing would be to prohibit discussions and just stick to photos.
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #180
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
I guess best thing would be to prohibit discussions and just stick to photos.
Let's give this a bit more time. Yellow Fever just recently asked if I wanted to help out here. Now I see why. We might need more help just so we can sleep and go to our real jobs.

My photo threads:

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw