daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Choose this cities are most ghetto in US?
Detroit 114 44.19%
Philadelphia 10 3.88%
St. Louis 24 9.30%
Cleveland 3 1.16%
Birmingham 3 1.16%
New Orleans 7 2.71%
Atlanta 16 6.20%
Hartford 9 3.49%
Louisville 4 1.55%
Cincinnati 2 0.78%
Memphis 5 1.94%
Washington D.C. 15 5.81%
Milwaukee 6 2.33%
Newark 28 10.85%
Other? Post There. 12 4.65%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2005, 03:58 AM   #1
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Which cities are most ghetto in US?

Just choose from poll with 14 cities including other. You can post there and give much information on city have become most ghetto in US.
VansTripp no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old January 17th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #2
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

Detroit, Newark, and DC are sure to get a lot of votes. I took Newark, b/c Detroit has it's problems, but a lot of it is misunderstood, while Newark doesn't seem to be heading anywhere different. Both of those two are pretty close, but I have more sympathy for Detroit. Cincy, NO, STL, Philly, and ATL have their bad sides, but isn't as bad as a whole. As other, I have to say there are a lot of towns like Gary and Richmond, CA., but I choose Camden, cuz it is the ghettoest city. It's pretty sad it was once prosperous but spending time there, it's like something you see in a book or on tv in some other country. It's pretty bad.
NovaWolverine no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #3
VansTripp
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaWolverine
Detroit, Newark, and DC are sure to get a lot of votes. I took Newark, b/c Detroit has it's problems, but a lot of it is misunderstood, while Newark doesn't seem to be heading anywhere different. Both of those two are pretty close, but I have more sympathy for Detroit. Cincy, NO, STL, Philly, and ATL have their bad sides, but isn't as bad as a whole. As other, I have to say there are a lot of towns like Gary and Richmond, CA., but I choose Camden, cuz it is the ghettoest city. It's pretty sad it was once prosperous but spending time there, it's like something you see in a book or on tv in some other country. It's pretty bad.
Great Point.
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:37 AM   #4
NovaWolverine

This is actually not an easy poll to rank top to bottom IMO, Memphis is pretty bad. Pittsburgh isn't the most ghetto, but it could probably be among the larger ghetto cities, same with a Florida city, Miami and some mid-sized FL towns have some problems too. Phoenix and Las Vegas too, I'm assuming Chi, NY and LA were purposely left off, they're pretty bad in certain areas but proportionately they're not all that bad. It's not easy IMO once you get 4 or so deep.
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #5
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 100

well i think miami should be added it has liberty city,little haiti and overtown.

why am i asking for miami to be added to a list of ghetto or bad areas?
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #6
VansTripp
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown-midtown
well i think miami should be added it has liberty city,little haiti and overtown.

why am i asking for miami to be added to a list of ghetto or bad areas?
You want Miami so just vote "other" on poll list.

Miami isn't much ghetto so just like 20%.
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:50 AM   #7
SChristopher

Likes (Received): 0

Totally Cincinnati that place is bombed I dont know how people live there.
SChristopher no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #8
nostyle

Likes (Received): 1

I gotta give Buffalo an honorable mention here. A giant chunk of the city is ghetto. It's very sad that so much of the city is hurting right now and yet so little is being done about it. As much as I miss the sports and the food, there's always enough about Buffalo to remind me of why I chose to leave.
nostyle no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #9
VansTripp
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostyle
I gotta give Buffalo an honorable mention here. A giant chunk of the city is ghetto. It's very sad that so much of the city is hurting right now and yet so little is being done about it. As much as I miss the sports and the food, there's always enough about Buffalo to remind me of why I chose to leave.
That's pretty sad.

I rather to live in out of Detroit (Suburb) like Oakland/Macomb County but city of Detroit is NO WAY!!!
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #10
NovaWolverine

Yeah Buffalo is another one.
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #11
Jules

Likes (Received): 4

I'd say Gary, Indiana is more ghetto than any of these cities.
Jules no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #12
Its not about me

Philadelphia gets my vote. I was completely overwhelmed with the expansiveness and age of its ghettos the first time I visited.
Its not about me no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #13
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its not about me
Philadelphia gets my vote. I was completely overwhelmed with the expansiveness and age of its ghettos the first time I visited.
Philly's New Jersey neighbor, Camden, is the worst that I've ever seen, and I've seen the nasty parts of the Bronx, Brooklyn, Chicago, DC, Newark, Cleveland, and LA.
The anti-cheesehead no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #14
ReddAlert
BANNED

I think the Western and Southern ghettos dont look as bad as ones in the Great Lakes region or the Northeast. The ghettos of Detroit, Camden, Philly, Chicago...etc just look nasty...
ReddAlert no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #15
NovaWolverine

Yeah, ghettos come in different ways. You look at the type in southern cities like Memphis and NO and they're different then the ones in more urban cities. But I agree with anti, Camden is the worst I've ever seen.
Old January 17th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #16
Its not about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead
Philly's New Jersey neighbor, Camden, is the worst that I've ever seen, and I've seen the nasty parts of the Bronx, Brooklyn, Chicago, DC, Newark, Cleveland, and LA.
Camden is awful. However, the stretch between the Airport and downtown is just about as bad. The first time I visited, I got off the plane, drove 95 to downtown, took the Franklin Bridge to Camden. What a first impression! I thought, "God, please don't let my car break down". The next time i visited, I thought I would drive up to Trenton, thinking "surely this will be nicer". It's a little better, but not much. Finally, I drove out west and found some nicer neighborhoods. The pictures of downtown Philly are nice, but there is some seriously scary real estate all around it.
Its not about me no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #17
NovaWolverine

Nah, North Philly is the worst part of Philly right now, W. used to be and Camden is worst than all Philly, and it's worse than Gary too.
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #18
Lmichigan

Likes (Received): 227

Wait, what is the point of this? Is it just to kick at the cities that are down, right now? I never got the point of these type of threads. BTW, I'm aware how the word ghetto is used now, but you're ultimately asking which of these cities is the most black (in a negative way). I'm sure you weren't thinking of poor whites, as well, when you thought up this idea.
Lmichigan no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #19
SChristopher

Agreed that is what I dont like about the term ghetto these days....that is why I made the little joke about my hometown below. Ghetto is used as a suburban teen term now to describe a place that is less than their suburban funtowns that are chock full of stucco and siding and panera bread. One persons ghetto can be another persons home where they feel completely safe. I am not trying to be a sensationalist or anything, but sometimes now I feel that anything that isnt gleaming with shine or people that work in banks people consider 'scary' or 'ghetto'. And yes to conclude my rant people dont call white trash trailor parks ghetto, there are usually a large concentration of blacks that live 'in the ghetto'.
SChristopher no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #20
nostyle

My definition of ghetto is relatively simple. Decay and crime. I don't care if the people in that neighborhood are urbanites, suburbanites, rich, poor, black, white, or purple. Decay and crime are what make a neighborhood ghetto. And under that definition, suburbs can EASILY become ghetto. No doubt about that.
nostyle no está en línea  

Closed Thread