daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

View Poll Results: Choose this cities are most ghetto in US?
Detroit 114 44.19%
Philadelphia 10 3.88%
St. Louis 24 9.30%
Cleveland 3 1.16%
Birmingham 3 1.16%
New Orleans 7 2.71%
Atlanta 16 6.20%
Hartford 9 3.49%
Louisville 4 1.55%
Cincinnati 2 0.78%
Memphis 5 1.94%
Washington D.C. 15 5.81%
Milwaukee 6 2.33%
Newark 28 10.85%
Other? Post There. 12 4.65%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 18th, 2005, 04:57 AM   #41
denvernative1982

Likes (Received): 0

In the middle-sized city category:St.Clair county, IL, Omaha, NE and Dayton,OH are very ghetto
East Omaha easily beats known ghetto's Camden, New Jersey and Detroit, Michigan
East Omaha has abandoned businesses, apartment buildings, homes and even hospitals all over the place. Omaha has trash all over the streets of the northside. Omaha has massive housing projects, a 300-unit complex near 50th and Mary sits 90% abandoned, Southside projects (at least 500 units) are abadoned for the most part. If that isnt ghetto I dont know what is.

Dayton, Ohio is a also an ugly ghetto for the most part as is St. Clair County, IL
denvernative1982 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old January 18th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #42
josef
philadelphia metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaWolverine
NJ across the bridge from Philly.
i meant in the poll, not geographically
josef no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #43
josef
philadelphia metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35
I've been hearing lots of things about areas in New Jersey. What's going on there? I mean you have Camden, Trenton, Newark, Atlantic City. I don't think I've heard too many nice things about any of those.

Most people on here have mentioned Newark and Camden specifically. What is the deal with these two? Are there lots of gangs there or what? Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned East St. Louis, as it has a higher crime rating than Newark, or Camden. And it has its fair share of abandonment as well.

I would post some pics of all of these areas but I don't know how to put pictures on this board. If anyone can let me know then I will post them.
And you know what's great? If it were it's own country, NJ would be the richest nation. Everyone comes to our beaches and they love our cheap gas. The suburbs are nice, we've got good colleges, close to everything and we have a minty fresh scent. The state has some of the best roads and public transit. Aside from the poop cities going on, I think it's a great state.
josef no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #44
ReddAlert
BANNED

Oma.........HA!? The ghettoist city in the usa......no way. Plenty of places have boarded up buildings...but that doesnt make it ghetto, it makes it unsuccesful. Its not in the same galaxy as Detroit, Chicago, Camden, Atlanta, Pine Bluff, East St. Louis, LA, Phoenix.....etc.
ReddAlert no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #45
BigDan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef
And you know what's great? If it were it's own country, NJ would be the richest nation. Everyone comes to our beaches and they love our cheap gas. The suburbs are nice, we've got good colleges, close to everything and we have a minty fresh scent. The state has some of the best roads and public transit. Aside from the poop cities going on, I think it's a great state.
This is way off subject, but I was in New Jersey this past summer visiting some family and if I remember correctly isn't it actually illegal for you to pump your own gas in the state? I know some states its considered illegal for you to pump your own gas and I never understood that. I mean when they say 'illegal' do they actually mean you can be fined or arrested for pumping your own gas?
BigDan35 no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #46
yournewmayor
Cocky lil' bastad

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef
i meant in the poll, not geographically
haha
yournewmayor no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #47
edveddfan

Likes (Received):

This is about as dumb a poll as I've seen on a site that is seemingly dedicated to dumb polls. Congratulations

Old January 18th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #48
BigDan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by edveddfan
This is about as dumb a poll as I've seen on a site that is seemingly dedicated to dumb polls. Congratulations
Then why did you even bother to leave a comment? You're just contributing to it. Congratulations
BigDan35 no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #49
edveddfan

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Then why did you even bother to leave a comment? You're just contributing to it. Congratulations
What purpose (other than cutting down areas that obviously don't need it) does this thread serve? Honestly, someone, sometime has to call these threads out for what they really are--garbage. This is a productive use of my time in my eyes. That's why I bothered to respond, and will continue to respond, should you continue to make it worth my time.

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #50
Roxbury Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan
Wait, what is the point of this? Is it just to kick at the cities that are down, right now? I never got the point of these type of threads. BTW, I'm aware how the word ghetto is used now, but you're ultimately asking which of these cities is the most black (in a negative way). I'm sure you weren't thinking of poor whites, as well, when you thought up this idea.
This is so true. I always wonder what the point of these threads are, except that they end up saying much more about the poster than the city/neighborhood being dissed. When I read posts like this, I envision someone sitting behind the keyboard in his parent's basement in some lily-white suburban sub-division in whatever metropolitan area you care to mention.
Roxbury Ranger no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #51
B@dGuYoM
Funk Master

Likes (Received): 1

I think detroit
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #52
josef
philadelphia metro

Quote:
This is way off subject, but I was in New Jersey this past summer visiting some family and if I remember correctly isn't it actually illegal for you to pump your own gas in the state? I know some states its considered illegal for you to pump your own gas and I never understood that. I mean when they say 'illegal' do they actually mean you can be fined or arrested for pumping your own gas?
i don't know what the consequences are, but i hatehatehate hate hate hate hate not being able to pump my own gas? why you might ask? cause the people who pump it are rude, stupid, most of the time miserable foreigners, and *slow*. i'd just like to pump my own gas and go. doesn't connecticut have both? i wish we had both.

i believe it's also illegal in oregon. go figure.
josef no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #53
chindy

I don't know if I'm confused or everyone using the term, "Ghetto" is confused. As far as I know (and webster seems to agree) ghetto is actually an Italian word referring to an area occupied by a particular minority group. It doesn't neccessarily mean "run down" which I think this thread is actually referring to. Chinatown is a ghetto but that doesn't mean all Chinatowns are run down. So for most ghettos, I'll have to say Chicago or New York City. For most run down probably Detroit or Memphis. You know what they say, once your at the bottom there's nowhere to go but up.
chindy no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #54
ShuwanCarlton

St. Louis is one big ghetto.
ShuwanCarlton no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #55
bigboyz2004

I know it's not on the list but, Beaumont is so ghetto it ain't funny.
bigboyz2004 no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #56
JivecitySTL
The Jive is Alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuwanCarlton
St. Louis is one big ghetto.
^And you're one big fucking idiot.

Last edited by JivecitySTL; January 20th, 2005 at 03:16 AM.
JivecitySTL no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #57
ThirdCoast312

could somebody please define "ghetto" for me?
ThirdCoast312 no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #58
asohn

Likes (Received): 2

I was in the "nice" part of camden around Walter Rand Tansportation Center and City Hall and that seemed pretty bad to me. I cant even begin to imagine what the rest of the city is like.
asohn no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #59
asohn

Likes (Received): 2

Top 25 most dangerous cities in the US of 2004:
http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm
asohn no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:44 AM   #60
en

Likes (Received): 1

This thread is good for informing people outside the US which cities to avoid.

Has anyone ever been to my city's "ghetto", Hastings Street in Vancouver, BC?
Open dealing of drugs, addicts, homeless everywhere, the whole area is known as Downtown Eastside. But no/very few shootings.
en no está en línea  

Closed Thread