daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #241
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by elekto View Post
I agree although is only to give us an idea of what you said.

In any case chinese costs are way lower than any other competitor, just as an example, Alstom average €23 million per km, thats unaffordable for a country like Mexico.
French labour, French land acquisitions costs etc. If Alstom end up bidding for it alone or in a consortium I bet the price will be closer to 10 million per km (similar to Spanish prices).

Chinese would be unbeatable if you allow them to build it with Chinese labour. That's kind of a "banana republic" style though and has numerous long term drawbacks.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #242
elekto
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
French labour, French land acquisitions costs etc. If Alstom end up bidding for it alone or in a consortium I bet the price will be closer to 10 million per km (similar to Spanish prices).

Chinese would be unbeatable if you allow them to build it with Chinese labour. That's kind of a "banana republic" style though and has numerous long term drawbacks.
I hope so, btw spanish and french have been very quiet as well as japanese.

I know germans will do the try, they will try to match the chinese with a good enough offer, they know that in emerging countries will be difficult to compete with such 1st world prices.
elekto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #243
Sunfuns

French are currently building in Morocco and Spanish in Saudi Arabia. Don't know what the costs are for them there, but they do have experience of doing it outside the home market.

elekto, Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #244
elekto
BANNED

Quote:
French are currently building in Morocco and Spanish in Saudi Arabia. Don't know what the costs are for them there, but they do have experience of doing it outside the home market.
In Morocco the expected cost is around $7 million per km, maybe because is all flat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangier...peed_rail_line

In Saudi Arabia around $20 million per km, maybe because is all luxury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haramai...d_Rail_Project

Last edited by elekto; August 29th, 2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old August 29th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #245
Sunfuns

$7 million per km is very cheap, probably will be a bit more in Mexico due to labor costs and a bit more challenging geography.

Saudi's probably care about price a bit less and are going for all the premium stuff. I've heard though that protection against sandstorms and extreme heat is a significant cost driver.

elekto liked this post
Old August 30th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #246
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
$7 million per km is very cheap, probably will be a bit more in Mexico due to labor costs and a bit more challenging geography.

Saudi's probably care about price a bit less and are going for all the premium stuff. I've heard though that protection against sandstorms and extreme heat is a significant cost driver.
Sunfuns, I don't know if you have been in western Saudi Arabia, but I have. It's not the kind of "gentle dessert" that you have in the western Sahara. - It's dessert, for sure, but consisting of barren mountains sticking up like jagged teeth. Here's a sample: http://nidalm.com/blog/travelography...ins-of-makkah/. No doubt that's part of the reason for the construction costs.

As for the French being "competitive" because they made it to Morocco, well... don't make me smirk. There's a tiny little post-colonial link there. Plus, project finance and other sweeteners were put on offer. I don't think that anybody OTHER than the French could have got their foot in that particular door.

Last edited by hans280; September 2nd, 2014 at 04:12 PM.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:36 PM   #247
elekto
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Sunfuns, I don't know if you have been in eastern Saudi Arabia, but I have. It's not the kind of "gentle dessert" that you have in the western Sahara. - It's dessert, for sure, but consisting of barren mountains sticking up like jagged teeth. Here's a sample: http://nidalm.com/blog/travelography...ins-of-makkah/. No doubt that's part of the reason for the construction costs.

As for the French being "competitive" because they made it to Morocco, well... don't make me smirk. There's a tiny little post-colonial link there. Plus, project finance and other sweeteners were put on offer. I don't think that any body OTHER than the French could have got their foot in that particular door.
so, do you believe the french can make a good bid to Mexico?

Im also surprised of such cheap cost in Morocco, never seen Alstom that low.

Last edited by elekto; August 31st, 2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old September 4th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #248
elekto
BANNED

info:

Quote:
The first clarification meeting took place last Monday, the next will be on Monday, September 8.

Gatech12 liked this post
Old September 5th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #249
elekto
BANNED

Seems next month we will have a date for the Transpeninsular Train TT HSR tender.

Last edited by elekto; September 5th, 2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old September 5th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #250
elekto
BANNED

.edit
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #251
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Mexico should take heed with the experience of other countries who took the lowball bid, namely the Philippines with the Northrail Project (cancelled) and the Turkey HSR project (numerous delays and teething problems).
Dont know anything about Philippines but about Turkey, I know. The delays have absolutely nothing to do with "cost" of the projects.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #252
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Seems next month we will have a date for the Transpeninsular Train TT HSR tender.
Sorry, i haven't followed this thread much, but I thought there was nothing official regarding this project? The reason why I say that its because it wasn't announced in Peña Nieto's event yesterday.

so is it safe to say that this project is alive?
Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #253
elekto
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legomaniac View Post
Sorry, i haven't followed this thread much, but I thought there was nothing official regarding this project? The reason why I say that its because it wasn't announced in Peña Nieto's event yesterday.

so is it safe to say that this project is alive?
Yes the TT HSR is alive, officially the environmental feasibility study was postponed since the route was changed. Instead of Punta Venado it was changed to Cancun as 2nd terminal.

A new environmental study is being developed right now contemplating the new route, maybe soon we will know if it was approved or not, probably next month.

Old September 5th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #254
elekto
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
Dont know anything about Philippines but about Turkey, I know. The delays have absolutely nothing to do with "cost" of the projects.
why the delays in Turkey?
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #255
elekto
BANNED

info:

Quote:
first days of November winning bidder of MQ HSR

Audio (in spanish min 3:17)

Last edited by elekto; September 7th, 2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old September 7th, 2014, 04:39 AM   #256
elekto
BANNED

info:

Quote:
pre-construction budget approved U$130 millions
Old September 9th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #257
elekto
BANNED

info:

Quote:
today in the 2nd clarification meeting CARSO group and ICA in the same consortium.
Alstom in a different one, while IAMSA, CAF and Indra joins in a 3rd consortium.

so we have 2 fully conformed consortiums and 2 more to officialize.

1.-CRCC, Teya group, GIA
2.-CAF, Indra Systems, IAMSA group

Alstom to lead another.
CARSO group and ICA to confirm with Bombardier or Siemens.

Last edited by elekto; September 15th, 2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old September 9th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #258
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
why the delays in Turkey?
Turkey is a very polarized country politically right now. Partisans, who didn't want to current administration to benefit politically from these high speed rails, sabotaged some lines multiple times before the elections.

By the way most of Turkish lines are built by Chinese. However, Chinese are just subcontractors of the local Turkish companies who won the bids claiming the lines are built by themselves. You can see Chinese railroad builders working on the catenaries etc. It is quite bad for tax payer because this approach is, obviously, increasing the price compared to direct Chinese undertaking.

elekto liked this post
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 02:06 AM   #259
elekto
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
Turkey is a very polarized country politically right now. Partisans, who didn't want to current administration to benefit politically from these high speed rails, sabotaged some lines multiple times before the elections.

By the way most of Turkish lines are built by Chinese. However, Chinese are just subcontractors of the local Turkish companies who won the bids claiming the lines are built by themselves. You can see Chinese railroad builders working on the catenaries etc. It is quite bad for tax payer because this approach is, obviously, increasing the price compared to direct Chinese undertaking.
humm, mismanagement and political prioritization, bad formula for any project.

yeah it only makes it more expensive and bureaucratic, now I see.

Dooie_Amsterdammert, roballan liked this post
Old September 9th, 2014, 04:20 AM   #260
elekto
BANNED

info:

Quote:

IAMSA group
, of which ETN, VivaAerobus and TAP makes part, is seeking the concession for the operation of the high speed trains that will link Mexico City to Toluca and Queretaro, said its president Roberto Alcantara.

Donegal liked this post