daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #21
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I'm liking this development less and less.

Sure, there are tall buildings. But it bothers me:

An 11-story parking garage. It looks okay with ground-level retail. I can tolerate that.

But isn't that enough? What is the deal with that circular driveway thing linking Grand and Ohio next to the buildings. That driveway should be a plaza, if anything, for pedestrians. It doesn't belong in downtown Chicago, it belongs in Schaumburg.

Not happy
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #22
The Urban Politician
The City

I've given it some thought. I'm going to have to recant my previous statement.

The more I visualize it, the more I'm beginning to like the project. But I only like it when imagining the complete project (including the 2nd highrise planned in the future). It will add tremendous density, and ground-level retail.

My major issue was with the driveway. But now that I think about it, it's a bit unique. A circular driveway, midblock, between two high rises, a 11-story building (a garage), and a park. It is kind of a cool pick-up drop off point, and the driveway will surely also be inviting to pedestrians if it's designed well (ie cobblestone or something).

I don't think something similar to this exists anywhere else downtown. Isn't that true?
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #23
lazar22b

Likes (Received): 0

lol... i feel you on both accounts.
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #24
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

The closest thing I can think of is the circular drive at 405 N. Wabash (although that one doesn't span between two streets like this one). The circular drive doesn't bother me all that much - at least it's got a purpose whereas if it was a small park or something it would probably just sit empty all the time.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #25
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

I don't think that if it were a small park it would sit empty, all the people from the immediate area are going to be going there to walk there dogs. Greenspace is somewhat limited in that area unless you go to the small park on Navy Pier.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #26
ChicagoLover

I share the concerns of Urban Politician about the circular drive. From what one can gather from the photo, it looks as if the "park" is broken up by the driveway, making it less usable/hospitable for pedestrian traffic. I think it would have been better for the attractiveness and viability of the streetscape had they limited the driveway to one half of the block, keeping the other half (say, next to the parking garage) all parkland.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #27
ChicagoLover

Obviously, I am new to the forum. Although my location says Chicago, that is entirely wishful thinking. I 'm in the wilderness in the middle of Pennsylvania, but Chicago is my adoptive home. I love cities and Chicago was the first city I came to know in great detail. I fell in love with it. Its good to meet others who might approach my level of obsession with Chicago, which may include a good dose of "Second City syndrome" -- anxiety about where Chicago stands in the scheme of national and world events, and hoping to snatch more business/people/prestige away from the more ballyhooed coastal cities.

I was back for a visit in Chicago several weeks ago, and it was exhiliarating to see how much downtown had changed in the few years I had been away. I was especially encouraged by developments in the South Loop. It is looking more and more like a real neighborhood--with walkable urban streets with street-level retail, etc. The Target there is the classiest looking Target I have seen, which admittedly isn't saying much, but clearly the city did much there to ensure they weren't just suburbanizing south Clark any more than they already did with the old fortress-like Dearborn Park development.

Some of the developments in River North are deeply disappointing. One East Superior is, I think, everyone's favorite building to hate, as it has nothing going for it--well at least it adds density, and street-level retail (Whole Foods I think). Blair Kamin wrote a scathing piece at the time, I recall, including an interview with developer/architect Loewenberg , who essentialy admitted that he had spent most discretionary funds on apt. interiors, sacrificing the exterior.

Streeterville is more encouraging in a way given the relatively solid architecture of the River East and Embassy Suites Hotel.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #28
ThirdCoast312

That open space east of the building appears to be a drive way!!!!! A drive way that takes up a lot of space and is a complete waste!!!!!!!!! INSANITY! and completely auto oriented. This project defiently seems too geared towards the auto mobile. This is a skyscraper that belongs in Phoniex, Houston, or Dallas, cities more oriented towards the auto and not the pedestrian. Sure you may call a skyscrapper 49 stories high "urban", but there's more to it than just height, there needs to be urban space and a contribution to the urban enviroment both at street level and skyline level. at street level is where this building goes wrong, and this building is better suited at street level for schumberg
ThirdCoast312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #29
The Urban Politician
The City

^My guess is that the driveway won't be a problem for pedestrians, and it will probably be pretty nice. Also, ground level retail will surely contribute to the urban environment. I have always felt that there is not enough retail in Streeterville. Also, the driveway will be kind of fun--pick ups, drop offs, in a mini canyon between three tall buildings and a public park. I don't know--if well done it could actually be kind of cool--granted it remains somewhat unique (ie they don't keep doing the same thing in other places)
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #30
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Okay, got a huge new rendering for everyone Big thx to emporis.

Old May 10th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #31
Krzycho

The newest photos from sunday (05.08.05)

Krzycho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:51 AM   #32
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I'm still not sure why this thread is mislabeled (isn't the address of this project actually 345?). Anyway - took a few quickie shots on my way by today (apologies for the quality - cam phone).

View of site looking northwest.

View of site looking due west.

View of site looking southeast.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:54 AM   #33
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
I'm still not sure why this thread is mislabeled (isn't the address of this project actually 345?)
^Thanks for the pics, Geoff.

Actually, it is mislabeled because when it was first advertised, 321 E Ohio was the address given. I tried to change the title of the thread but I couldn't.

If the mods could do it, that would be great...
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #34
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Yeah, I really wish the mods would fix it. Every time I go to add an update to the thread, I forget, without fail, that the name is wrong and it takes me forever to find it!

Anyway, just a quick progress-update. Slow but steady.

Old June 13th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #35
Tom in Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

^this sucker is shootin' up quick. . . apartments always seem to have fast schedules. . . quicker ROI as well. . .
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #36
kayosthery
I build'em

Hello all, I'm one of the guys working on this building. I just wanted to tell you all how cool it is to see that other peopel are actually passionate about tall buildings like I am. I think its also interesting to see how my view of the building differs from all of yours'. You guys see either good or bad architecture. Whether good or bad, I see the hard work and dedication it took to bring that building up out of the hole and into the sky, Its almost artistic if you really knew what we go through every day to make it happen. If any of you ever need information I can provide, just ask. I would be more than happy to help.
kayosthery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #37
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I think most of us have a VERY strong appreciation for the work that goes into building a skyscraper. Don't ever think, for a second, that we underestimate just what it takes!

At any rate... perhaps you can sneak me into the site once she gets a little taller? )
Old June 15th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #38
kayosthery
I build'em

Geoff, I am not saying that you guys do not appreciate the work. I guess I can explain myself better with an example.

I worked on Wells Street Tower (yeah its an eyesore!) from foundation to top floor. Although the design is bad in some peoples' opinions, I thought it was a neat building to work on because it was the first time I used flying forms. Learning how the system worked and watching the building rise every three days was quite an experience for me. I can't speak to the architecture and engineering of the buildings like some on this board can, my perspective and my appreciation is of the actual construction.

To keep this on topic....345 E. Ohio 6/15/05. Framing 10th floor, highrise and 8th floor, garage.

Let me know when you want to come by and I will try to arrange a walk-through. I'm guessing, but as long as you wear a hardhat and I clear it with the project manager, you can snap a few pictures and ask a couple questions.
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #39
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery
Geoff, I am not saying that you guys do not appreciate the work. I guess I can explain myself better with an example.

I worked on Wells Street Tower (yeah its an eyesore!) from foundation to top floor. Although the design is bad in some peoples' opinions, I thought it was a neat building to work on because it was the first time I used flying forms. Learning how the system worked and watching the building rise every three days was quite an experience for me. I can't speak to the architecture and engineering of the buildings like some on this board can, my perspective and my appreciation is of the actual construction.

To keep this on topic....345 E. Ohio 6/15/05. Framing 10th floor, highrise and 8th floor, garage.

Let me know when you want to come by and I will try to arrange a walk-through. I'm guessing, but as long as you wear a hardhat and I clear it with the project manager, you can snap a few pictures and ask a couple questions.
Welcome to the forum, Kayosthery! I share some of your beliefs--although I am not involved in building construction, I am not as much an architecture critic as others in this forum. I'm more interested in urban planning and development. Either way, it's great to meet a new forumer! You may also want to visit skyscraperpage.com--lots of great people out there...
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:04 AM   #40
kayosthery
I build'em

I've tried to register for SSP.com but something is not working for me. If one of you could put in a good word for me with Steely Dan or one of the other regulars, I'd appreciate it.

TUP, I've read some of your views on the new parking garages being built. I like the way The Heritage disguised the garage with saved facades and ground floor retail. IMO, the availability of parking in these buildings is a contributing factor to people's interest in buying these condos.