daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #41
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Awesome kayo! I'll definately wanna get up there later this summer when she's a little further along - and wearing a hard-hat is no problem
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #42
ChicagoLover

Likes (Received): 0

Kayo--I have a question that may be idiotic. Do you think the morale of skyscraper construction workers is lower when the architecture is pitiful, and higher when the building is a marvel? How much do people involved in the building trades discuss the architecture and the architects of the buildings they are building? Since there are so many other issues day-to-day as you have said, I wonder if these issues don't come up.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #43
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery
I've tried to register for SSP.com but something is not working for me. If one of you could put in a good word for me with Steely Dan or one of the other regulars, I'd appreciate it.
first off, welcome to the forum! it's awesome to have a construction perspective from someone on the inside.

as for SSP, registering there takes much longer than here at SSC. at SSC, they basically let anyone register automatically, but SSP has an intentional delay period built into its registration process to discourage banned forumers from reregistering different forum accounts. it takes a while, which i know is annoying, but just be patient and you will most certainly get into SSP eventually. if you still don't have access a week from now, let me know, and i'll take care of it.
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #44
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1300

Quote:
Hello all, I'm one of the guys working on this building. I just wanted to tell you all how cool it is to see that other peopel are actually passionate about tall buildings like I am. I think its also interesting to see how my view of the building differs from all of yours'. You guys see either good or bad architecture. Whether good or bad, I see the hard work and dedication it took to bring that building up out of the hole and into the sky, Its almost artistic if you really knew what we go through every day to make it happen. If any of you ever need information I can provide, just ask. I would be more than happy to help.
i have MUCH respect for the efforts that go into making a building become a real thing. i am a project manager for an architecural firm and i act as a facilitator between clients, consultants, contractors and superintedants. i have never had the fortune to work on a skyscraper project, but for even the smaller 5 story projects i been a part of, it is amazing how much work, effort and coordination goes into the construction of a building, and i can only imagine how much more complicated that whole process is when it's a 50 story building. and yes, construction is most definitely an artform, whether a building turns out as a beauty or an eye-sore, the very process of building is very artistic and requires a crapload of creative thinking.
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #45
Chicago Shawn

Quote:
Hello all, I'm one of the guys working on this building. I just wanted to tell you all how cool it is to see that other peopel are actually passionate about tall buildings like I am. I think its also interesting to see how my view of the building differs from all of yours'. You guys see either good or bad architecture. Whether good or bad, I see the hard work and dedication it took to bring that building up out of the hole and into the sky, Its almost artistic if you really knew what we go through every day to make it happen. If any of you ever need information I can provide, just ask. I would be more than happy to help.
Hey there, and Welcome! Would you happen to be the worker I ran into on the street when I was photographing the progress back in March for Emporis (Skyscrapers.com)?
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #46
kayosthery
I build'em

Yes, that was me.
kayosthery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #47
kayosthery
I build'em

Quote:
Do you think the morale of skyscraper construction workers is lower when the architecture is pitiful, and higher when the building is a marvel? How much do people involved in the building trades discuss the architecture and the architects of the buildings they are building?
For most of the people I talk to, its just work, they don't really love what they do, they just want the paycheck. Therefore, their morale is based on the comraderie between them and their fellow workers. There are a few though that are interested in the architecture of the building, me being one of them. If the building I'm working on does not have the greatest architectual design, I'll try to concentrate on the challenges of building it instead. Every building has some unique properties about it, unless of course it is an exact replica of another structure, so there is always something to keep the building interesting in that respect. For example, 345 E. Ohio has a convex parapit wall on the North side of the highrise and a concave one on the South all the way up. The formwork solutions required to produce that effect while attempting to free up crane time (always at a premium on highrises) are always interesting to me and sometimes "artistic" when it all works properly.

As far as the architects go, they are people the construction workers probably will never have the chance to meet. Which is unfortunate because we are the ones who construct your visions and dreams, if you will. I have seen architects walk around the buildings I am working on, but they rarely ever stop to talk to us. I would appreciate the buildings I work on so much more if the architects, developers, and owners of the buildings treated us as equals and talked to us, rather than walk by like we are just the hired help. You guys need to be nice to us, I just may know more about the buildings minute details and how is exists in the real world, because I built it and walked through it everyday.

Regarding discussion about the architecture between coworkers and myself... I usually talk about facts, figures, and opinions I read about on here and SSP. Most of the guys I work with do not have that much experience with computers so I am usually the source of knowledge on this subject, thanks to you all and your hard work.
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #48
kayosthery
I build'em

Bump, so Chicagolover doesn't miss my answer to the question.
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #49
Frumie

Thanks Kayosthery for bringing the nitty gritty third-dimension of highrise construction to this forum, especially those challenges in the field presented by architects and designers from behind their desks.
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #50
Chicago Shawn

Some shots from this past weekend...

In context with streeterville...

With all that painted concrete and haze, this shot could pass off as a random city in china.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 02:07 AM   #51
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

it's really starting to go up!

random city in china...lol
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:14 AM   #52
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Some shots from this past weekend...

In context with streeterville...

With all that painted concrete and haze, this shot could pass off as a random city in china.
I have never seen this angle! You are right it does look like some city in east Asia!

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #53
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

I took these shots on Sunday June 6, 2005.

Looking up the ramp within the parking garage.

Temporary supports put in place to help hold up the concrete while it cures.

A gap where expansion joints will probably be placed.

Pipes running through the floors.

Looking at the parking structure from about the 4th floor of the tower.

Looking down a vent shaft.

Ductwork lying within the interior of the tower.

Looking east across the site.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #54
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

It's a good time to be a construction worker..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #55
ChicagoLover

So contrary to what you see in the movies, where the heros access the bad guys via the vent shafts, real-life vent shafts (as shown in one of your photos) are obstructed.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #56
kayosthery
I build'em

Did you get those pics ninja style or what?

What did you think of the entrance and exit ramps to the parking garage?

The highrise portion will almost double in size come the 13th floor. We are framing the transfer area of the garage on 13 and the parking ramps back on 9. I should be there for about a month or two more and then I on to something else.
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #57
Tom in Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

^Funny to hear you worked on Wells Street Tower. . . I work in a telecommunications facility next door at 717 Wells. . . in fact the north wall of our building is adjacent to the south wall of WST. . . we had to re-route our Liebert vents to the west side of the building because you walled us in
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #58
kayosthery
I build'em

We dropped a couple stringers on your building too. That building was the first and only time I have use "flyers." It was a fun building to do.
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #59
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Quote:
Did you get those pics ninja style or what?

What did you think of the entrance and exit ramps to the parking garage?

The highrise portion will almost double in size come the 13th floor. We are framing the transfer area of the garage on 13 and the parking ramps back on 9. I should be there for about a month or two more and then I on to something else.
The gates at the bottom of the ramp were open, and I took it upon myself to enter.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:14 AM   #60
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Hey! Am I losing my job as official skyscraper-breaker-inner?? Nice work
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote