daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2005, 02:52 AM   #61
kayosthery
I build'em

Likes (Received): 0

If we're too dumb to lock all of our gates, be my guest. May I suggest (or not) climbing to the top of the tower crane. The view up there is rather choice, especially from the operaters chair. Walk out on the counter jib and look down through the grating, you get an unbelievably weird feeling.

Building update, garage to highrise transfer floor poking along as is normal. Highrise on hold for the moment as the transfer floor is framed and poured, tomorrow. Rest of garage moving along, poured 10th floor today, start framing 11 tomorrow. There is no official 12th floor in the garage as it is the point where the ramps die off and garage roof (13th floor) begin.
kayosthery no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #62
kayosthery
I build'em

Disregard.... I thought my previous reply failed to post.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:57 AM   #63
kayosthery
I build'em

I had my interview Wednesday, and I'll be heading out to O'hare to begin my career as a project manager.

The highrise portion of 345 has reached typical, and you should see this thing take off till it reaches the top. The garage is nearing the roof and has a lot of work to complete up there.
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:25 PM   #64
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

This is moving fast. 20-25 floor as of today.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:50 PM   #65
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Wow... I need to go over there and check it out!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:41 AM   #66
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Can you get some pictures? I'm curious to see how the cladding looks on this one.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:10 PM   #67
Chicago3rd

Likes (Received): 1

Taken Yesterday:

345 East Ohio
Before (June 11, 2005)

August 22, 2005

Chicago3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:03 PM   #68
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Lookin' good!!! Now if only they could find a way to block the view of Time Life from the west!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:17 PM   #69
Chicago3rd

I love the Time Life building. Cannot think of any other buildings in the loop made to rust on purpose. It brings depth to our architecture collection.

The picture doesn't show th glow very good....but it was a rose/oragne glow reflecting on to Michigan Avenue from this building. Was extremely enchanting.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:36 PM   #70
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd
I love the Time Life building. Cannot think of any other buildings in the loop made to rust on purpose.
The Daley Center is made of Cor-Ten steel which is also made to rust on purpose, and unlike the Time Life Building, the Daley Center is actually in the Loop not Streeterville.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #71
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
Lookin' good!!! Now if only they could find a way to block the view of Time Life from the west!
I hate that ******* building... One of Harry Weese's worst IMO... Yeah, it rusts, but they didn't compensate for that with some type of drains around the columns at the base, and the sidewalk is all stained with rust.

600 N. Fairbanks will help block it.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #72
Frumie

The Civic Center Building in the Daley Center is indeed constructed with Cor-ten steel, as is the Picasso sculpture. In fact, this steel was invented by a sculpture for his large outdoor pieces. The Cor-ten formula for the Time-Life building, if memory serves, got out of whack, requiring several external chemical applications to speed up the rusting process. It never came out right. I agree that the sidewalk staining sucks.
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #73
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1300

the time-life building is an excellent tower, a true work of art. anyone who dislikes that tower obviously has no taste in architecture (yeah, yeah, yeah, i know, i know, opinions are subjective and everyone is entitled to their own, but i don't care, i'm still right.)
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:19 AM   #74
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
the time-life building is an excellent tower, a true work of art. anyone who dislikes that tower obviously has no taste in architecture (yeah, yeah, yeah, i know, i know, opinions are subjective and everyone is entitled to their own, but i don't care, i'm still right.)

This building is a poorly executed piece of "rusting" modernist crap. On close inspection it just doesn't look nice. It's pedestrian un-friendly. I know what I like, and this building surely ain't it.....
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #75
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Great pictures! Looks like they're working on the 20th or 21st floor.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #76
Chicago3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoso
The Daley Center is made of Cor-Ten steel which is also made to rust on purpose, and unlike the Time Life Building, the Daley Center is actually in the Loop not Streeterville.
If I took that picture and have lived in Chicago 8 years and have over 3,000 pictures of Chicago...do you think there is a possibility I know the Time Life Building is in Streeterville?
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #77
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

^I figured that you knew, but based on how your comment was worded I was afraid others not as knowledgable about Chicago would start to look for it in the Loop. I meant no disrespect toward you. I just hate it when suburbanites go to Lakeview or Lincoln Park and say that they had a great time in Downtown Chicago.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #78
Chicago3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoso
^I figured that you knew, but based on how your comment was worded I was afraid others not as knowledgable about Chicago would start to look for it in the Loop. I meant no disrespect toward you. I just hate it when suburbanites go to Lakeview or Lincoln Park and say that they had a great time in Downtown Chicago.

Sorry...I was a little sloppy there. It isn't the loop. But it is downtown...but we all have our own definition of downtown Chicago...I align with the city of Chicago.

And no matter how much the God BVictor hates it I love it still (not sarcastic...I drop everything when he posts...he is my fix...my drug.....)
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:58 PM   #79
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

345 Ohio is rising fast...(8-28-05)

Looking to the northwest from Grand and McClurg

They're starting to put windows in.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 12:57 AM   #80
Chi_Coruscant

The Planning Commission approved that project on June 2004. The construction began on January 2005. They're starting to put windows on August 2005. Yup, it is rising fast.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote