daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #81
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

it is absurd to put someone in jail for a noncriminal offense like speeding, especially a country bordering Germany of all places what next, hanging homosexuals like the Iranians?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #82
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

To endanger other people is a crime. In Germany as well.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #83
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
To endanger other people is a crime. In Germany as well.
Nobody is going to bat an eyelid if you drive by on the autobahn at 180+ km/h.
In Switzerland you're ****ed if the police or a camera catches you...

The all dreaded argument from people who sit on the moral high horse.

Speeding ≠ Endangering people.
Barely any accidents happen due to excessive speeds, yes I know it has a major effect on the result of an accident, but I don't believe in changing the speed factor, but rather preventing the cause of the accident in the first place. Otherwise you might just as well set the speed limit @ 30 km/h everywhere then nobody will crash fast enough to die .

A much better soluction would be crash detection on every car on the road, that brakes automatically when needed. Problem solved, you can drive faster and the technology prevents you from crashing in most of the crash situations ( not holding enough distance) outside of an intersection.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #84
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
it is absurd to put someone in jail for a noncriminal offense like speeding, especially a country bordering Germany of all places what next, hanging homosexuals like the Iranians?
It's the same in Spain. You risk jail for more than 90 in cities, 160 outside cities and 190 on autopistas\autovias.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #85
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

I'm looking for a jokey video I have already seen on youtube. The caption was "why it is safer to drive fast".
On first scene, there was a pedestrian crossing and a car driving 50 km/h in city. The pedestrian stepped on the crossing and the car ran over him.
The second scene starts similarly, but there was a car driving 100 km/h in city. The pedestrian did not even get coming close to the pedestrian crossing done and the car just passed by while nobody died. :-)

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #86
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Here's a link to an excellent video from someone in British Columbia, Canada called "Speed Kills Your Pocketbook." It's a scathing critique of the low speed limits in BC and makes the point that their purpose is not safety but generating revenue. It's very funny and entertaining, but also very well researched and convincing. Well worth 15 minutes of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #87
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's the same in Spain. You risk jail for more than 90 in cities, 160 outside cities and 190 on autopistas\autovias.
Actually it's 110 (+60) inside city limits, 170 outside and 200 in motorways (+80).

In most countries you will potentially go to jail for high speeding, though you're not likely to the first time.
Old April 17th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #88
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
ICriminalizing someone who did a minor offence. Sorry but someone who does vmax+40 km/h in the middle of the night on a motorway is harmless and criminalising people like that is wrong, there are criminals that get away with less. Wrong priorities imho.
Actually, you are right, Switzerland has become notoriously infamous for its very lax - when not driving offenses -, promoting violent criminals against victims, justice system.
More than 90% of convicted violent criminals get away without even being locked behind bars, notably thanks to a system of day fine (replacing up to 2 years of jail; not applicable in the new law for "Offenses Drivers") based on your salary introduced not long time ago (a drug dealer, by definition, don't pay taxes on drug incomes, so he'll pay peanuts), and a new criminal procedures code that induces all, so convicted criminals are being kept out of prison.
Moreover, a recent leak revealed scandals, where many violent criminals where kept out of jail, in spacious downtown flats (when actually there is a huge shortage of accessible housings), having an "individual special program" that includes more than 10 persons to take care of them individually (psychologists, sociologists, private trainers, coaches, etc.), private lessons and trainers of preferred sports with the help of word champions, music activities, yogas, martial art, and much more; That a "ordinary" Swiss cannot afford; costing to the taxpayers up to +600K CHF per year/individual. Of course, for the victims - many being handicapped to life - have none of this; if they are lucky to be still alive, as murderers are also included in these "programs".
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_ne...l?cid=33999476

On the other hand, in towns, authorities are extremely passive to drug dealers, for more than a decade now. In my city of Lausanne, you can't go downtown without being addressed by one of them, mainly African fellows. As a matter of fact, they are everywhere in the center - and not as you may think, in remote areas - all day/night long, following you, with the most openly way possible, pushing you to buy hard drugs. For a while, they even came to me when I was in my car stopped in a traffic light on the main place of downtown, knocking to my window to sell their s***. Many citizens have addressed petitions and complains to the municipality, but they are playing deaf; according to the last, we are exaggerating the problem. In face of such neutrality, citizens having more than enough to be upset by dealers in front of their house, of their businesses, in the city, and their children being offered drugs by dealers out of schools, decided to set up an association seeking solutions to this "silent" problem: https://fr-fr.facebook.com/pages/Sto...11405612295741

Well, It's not easy to understand, and with at historically low road accidents death toll, that such harsh measures may come into effect. Furthermore, majority of radars are being put in areas with no history of serious crashes events. IMHO, priorities should be in more urgent and serious crimes, that are actually being treated "very easy go" or simply ignored .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 04:49 AM   #89
KiwiGuy
¡VIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

I don't think there's anything unusual or ridiculous about traffic regulations in NZ. It's no different than other places, aside from the fact that insurance is optional and fairly lax speeding enforcement.

Oh, and the legal driving age is 16 as opposed to 18 in most European states and there's no restrictions on what beginner drivers can have as their first car.
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:23 AM   #90
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5846

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Actually, you are right, Switzerland has become notoriously infamous for its very lax - when not driving offenses -, promoting violent criminals against victims, justice system.
More than 90% of convicted violent criminals get away without even being locked behind bars, notably thanks to a system of day fine (replacing up to 2 years of jail; not applicable in the new law for "Offenses Drivers") based on your salary introduced not long time ago (a drug dealer, by definition, don't pay taxes on drug incomes, so he'll pay peanuts), and a new criminal procedures code that induces all, so convicted criminals are being kept out of prison.
Moreover, a recent leak revealed scandals, where many violent criminals where kept out of jail, in spacious downtown flats (when actually there is a huge shortage of accessible housings), having an "individual special program" that includes more than 10 persons to take care of them individually (psychologists, sociologists, private trainers, coaches, etc.), private lessons and trainers of preferred sports with the help of word champions, music activities, yogas, martial art, and much more; That a "ordinary" Swiss cannot afford; costing to the taxpayers up to +600K CHF per year/individual. Of course, for the victims - many being handicapped to life - have none of this; if they are lucky to be still alive, as murderers are also included in these "programs".
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_ne...l?cid=33999476
What? Are you serious? I guess its time for me to go to Switzerland and commit crimes.