daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #21
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

I love this pic! Makes it look so grand! WOW!

The first rendering look very good. The second one looks bland and ugly.

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #22
cicarra
Beauty of Orient

Likes (Received): 4

the design itself is good, elegant. But the question is does it fit into the pudong skyline?
...don't try to resist...my little doll...just relax, and let me take over your soul...my hunger and desire is killing me...and the taste of your flesh...you know what i want, and you know you want it...come...fear nothing...
cicarra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #23
snake

Likes (Received): 6

It fits pudong of course. If all buildings are one kind of styles in a area, it definitely will be dull. This building is exactly what pudong needs now, elegant but very unique, it will stand out, I only hope it could be higher. Oh, my, I can't wait to see this baby been built.
snake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #24
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Everything could fit in pudong. I can't think of an area more eclectic.
tritown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #25
Puntagorda

Likes (Received): 1

that´s why shanghai´s skyline will never reach the quality of hong kong´s...
Puntagorda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #26
Brizer

Likes (Received): 4199

Wow! And here was me thinking Postmodernism in architecture had died out by the early 1990s! It may be striking and eye-catching but it is entirely eclectic, pinching its massing and detail from C13th French Gothic cathedrals and applying them to an early C21st office complex. The style was revived again in the mid to late C19th as Neo-Gothic in European countries including USA and Australia. Then in the !980s, it was revived again by Johnson/Burgee most notably in the PPG Buildings in Pittsburgh. Interesting? But: Gothic in China? About as appropriate as a Ming Dynasty pagoda office tower in Frankfurt. Pure Chinese Disney.
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #27
nicholasliha
Pubescent Singaporean

Likes (Received): 4

i really dunno what to say.... ok i'll just say whatever i like:

1. its bad because it hints at a perennial envy of New York City, hence the art deco inspired goth steeples and gargoyles. Shanghai's little stake on the gotham city legacy.

2. its really bad because eclectism shouldn't tolerate unsophisticated ideas. this appears to be nothing more than the realisation of a gotham city / medieval europe fantasy. what philosophy does it lend the skyline other than one of whimsical extravagance. its just so byzantine.

3. but its good because it doesn't emulate wholesale the midtown manhattan style of gothic skyscrapers. whereas those tend to be set back as they rise to flourish off with a spire, this baby takes a page from the twin steepled stalwart cathedrals of an older legacy. which is like a sexier way of saying, "how do i look" and "i'm a very stylish girl"

4. i love the loggia ringed plaza at the foot of the "cathedral". its another case of piecing together fragments of grandeur in a very seductive way. seductive because it ostensibly makes sense, but closer consideration reveals a jarring lisp in the preamble. you wouldn't find fat, twin towered buttressed behemoth cathedrals (the likes of York, Notre Dame and Duomo Milan) ringed by pleasant little parish greens / monastic herb gardens, even though they are both fixtures in typical Church architecture. Its like finding Notre Dame in a maze of Benedictine gardens/loggias/fountains. It's just never done like that. Notre Dame rises from grit and a throng of unwashed feet in the city urban core. Hence this arrangement tends to echo those idealistic fantasy communities you find in manga Nintendo games like Final Fantasy. I like.

ok that's all i wanted to say.

Shanghai is all about superlatives and wanton exhibitionism. it does new york one up by being a kind of Vegas devil. Its like a city of trumps, not rockerfellers. haha. so the extravagance kinda matters more than the elegance.

"Others are absolutely free; Singaporeans are absolutely not. Freedom is elsewhere." - Simon SC Tay, chairman of the Singapore Institute of International Affairs
nicholasliha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:44 AM   #28
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Whoa!!

Phillip Johnson lives!!
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #29
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasliha
i really dunno what to say.... ok i'll just say whatever i like:

1. its bad because it hints at a perennial envy of New York City, hence the art deco inspired goth steeples and gargoyles. Shanghai's little stake on the gotham city legacy.

2. its really bad because eclectism shouldn't tolerate unsophisticated ideas. this appears to be nothing more than the realisation of a gotham city / medieval europe fantasy. what philosophy does it lend the skyline other than one of whimsical extravagance. its just so byzantine.

3. but its good because it doesn't emulate wholesale the midtown manhattan style of gothic skyscrapers. whereas those tend to be set back as they rise to flourish off with a spire, this baby takes a page from the twin steepled stalwart cathedrals of an older legacy. which is like a sexier way of saying, "how do i look" and "i'm a very stylish girl"

4. i love the loggia ringed plaza at the foot of the "cathedral". its another case of piecing together fragments of grandeur in a very seductive way. seductive because it ostensibly makes sense, but closer consideration reveals a jarring lisp in the preamble. you wouldn't find fat, twin towered buttressed behemoth cathedrals (the likes of York, Notre Dame and Duomo Milan) ringed by pleasant little parish greens / monastic herb gardens, even though they are both fixtures in typical Church architecture. Its like finding Notre Dame in a maze of Benedictine gardens/loggias/fountains. It's just never done like that. Notre Dame rises from grit and a throng of unwashed feet in the city urban core. Hence this arrangement tends to echo those idealistic fantasy communities you find in manga Nintendo games like Final Fantasy. I like.

ok that's all i wanted to say.

Shanghai is all about superlatives and wanton exhibitionism. it does new york one up by being a kind of Vegas devil. Its like a city of trumps, not rockerfellers. haha. so the extravagance kinda matters more than the elegance.
If I recall correctly, Shanghai does have a few of its *own* genuine Art Deco skyscrapers from the 20's and 30's, so it isn't *that* out-of-context.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #30
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

DUDE, even the cars look 1930s, DID anyone notice that?
Too bad people have to climb all that stairs to get to the front entrance.
Everything elses looks dreamy........... in a good way of course.

Look at the cars !!!!!!

WOW, nice design !! I don't care if this is original or not, it is a well designed, good-looking building.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #31
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Who cares if it emulates NYC? It's still way cool
tritown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #32
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Nice design, though odd that China would want a building evoking medieval European design. I'd have rather seen a building like this reflecting traditional Chinese design.
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #33
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 7

Its cool. Itll look a bit odd amongst Shanghai's pinks and blues and generally light-hearted character. It reminds me of Penzoil Place by Johnson in Houston:
nukey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:00 AM   #34
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

This also reminds me of the postmodern PPG (Pittsburgh Plate Glass) Place in Pittsburgh, built 1979-84 by Johnson & Burgee. Another cathedral of commerce with hundreds of pinnacles:
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:05 AM   #35
SUNNI

Likes (Received): 31

i think it will look great
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:32 AM   #36
LooselogInThePeg

Likes (Received): 1

Personally I don't like it at all but I will give it credit for being original.
LooselogInThePeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:24 AM   #37
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2836

not sure if it reminds me of new york, and isnt gotham city make believe! this looks more like London buildings than anything else, somewhere between houses of parliment and westminster abbey.

I like it, i think its a very grand impressive building to be proud of for many years
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:05 PM   #38
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 363

there is nothing unique about a building looking like an old european cathedral, it looks like a design from Kolhoff
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM   #39
Bibelo

Likes (Received): 140

I'm okay with a new age of neogothical buildings, anywhere, but this resembles so much with an old Cathedral that I think it's tasteless. Almost gotta think about park Dubai (Disney) when I see this.
Bibelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 02:22 AM   #40
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

Likes (Received): 2

i love the design's originality, which is almost at the levels of jin mao and tomorrow square, and im surprised that no architects in the u.s. actually built an office tower like this before. the closest match u can find is definitely 1 ppg place.

still, this building distracts from the postmodern buildings of lujiazui with such a contrasting design. they should build it rite next to a historical european district or something in puxi, or even close by the historical buildings of the bund! that'd be so awesome...
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote