daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #1
mapedia

Likes (Received): 6

Mapedia Architecure Map

Hi, my name is Chris Thomas, and I and my friend Wilson Stockman, have been working on website, Mapedia, that combines a Wiki and a Map with History and Culture. The idea is to build a Wiki map, that focusses on the culture and history of locations, rather than on where you can buy a latte or whatnot. We have spent the last year or so working on a feature of Mapedia that kind of side-tracked us somewhat. We have created a system that allows us to show Wikipedia articles, with a location, on our map. Getting a list of these articles was easy enough, but then we needed to write a way to link their categorisation with ours. This, combined with making the system work well with 20,000+ articles (there ARE a lot of articles on Wikipedia) took the best part of a year. But it is working now, and so, I am pleased to ask you to check out our Architecture map. The URL is......

http://www.mapedia-uk.net/

So, a quick explanation of how it works, its pretty simple. On the left is a button Pick Location Type that allows you to choose the type of location you are interested in. Right now we only have one Type, Architecture, in the Topic History & Heritage. To its right is a text box where you can type in a Location. Then to its right is the Search button. Just press that to do a Search and see some results. Those are the basics….

Beyond that, to the right of the Search button are two drop down menus of Options. These vary for each Topic/Type, but in this case they are filters for the buildings on the map, by their Use, Architectural period, Their status, listing buildings say, and if they are Skyscrapers and so on. These Options can be used simply to filter the shown results down, and also combined. Lets say you look at New York. You can choose Period: Art Deco and combine it with Skyscraper to only display Art Deco skyscrapers. We have even reflected the hight categorisation here, so you can filter by the hight of Skyscraper.

A little more info on the user interface. You can drag the Blue circular C icon around on the map, to change the centre of the search, and the green R icon, to change the Searches radius. There is a slider on the search bar as well, that allows you to adjust the Radius. As you move the search around with the C icon, the Filter stays in place, so you can look around the map for that item you are interested in.

Please give the map a try, we think it is the perfect way to discover buildings around your location, or indeed anywhere worldwide. Its a work in progress, so of course we would love to hear any feedback you guys have.

Cheers

Chris Thomas
www.mapedia-uk.net

jonasry, arnau_Vic liked this post

Last edited by mapedia; March 16th, 2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Changing Options
mapedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #2
mapedia

Has anyone here had a chance to use the map? We would love to hear any feedback you have, good or bad.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #3
nei123
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

to see the location of your home, just through google maps can easily to know the location of your residence.
nei123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #4
mapedia

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by that Neil? I know you can find your own location on Google maps. This is something we could also do, but its not really the focus for Mapedia.

The goals of Mapedia are....

* To catalogue aspects of History & Culture on a WIKI map.
* To strongly Categorise these locations by Topic / Type / Options.
* To provide an interface that allows our users to then filter down their searches using our categorisation
* Once found, locations can have Articles, Images, Comments, Reviews added by the user.

Right now, Mapedia provides all of this functionality. If you do need to find where you live, just enter your towns address, and your postcode into the location box, and it should get your location pretty quickly.

Cheers

Chris Thomas
Mapedia
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #5
mapedia

Hey, no problem. Just to let you know, we have been listening to our users feedback, and we have an update to the site due to be live in the very near future. Just making some minor adjustments.

we'll let you know when it is ready....

Chris Thomas
www.mapedia-uk.net
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #6
mapedia

We have been working on Mapedia, and it has been enhanced with several new features, such as...
  • Search URLS : Allowing you to share a search via a URL, for example...

Architecture Map: Skyscrapers
  • No Search Button : Now Searches are carried out when you pick a Topic to search on, or change any search criteria.
  • Open Icons : Each Option can now change the icon to suit the location. So now we can show Hotel icons for Hotels, Castle icons for Castles etc...
  • Viewed Articles Persist Sessions : Now, if you view an Article, by clicking on a marker, that Article will be in your info area the next time you start Mapedia. You can delete these Articles from the Info Area if you are no longer interested in them...
  • New Topic - War & Conflict : A new Topic has been added, covering human conflict. Our first map on this theme is Word War 2
  • New Topic - Industry & Commerce : This Topic will cover aspects of Industry /Commerce that can be mapped. Our first map on this theme shows Mines of all types from around the world, Gold, Platinum, Iron, Tungsten, Diamond etc.

Quite a lot of improvements there. To check out the new per Option icons, please try our World War 2 map.

We will be adding these icons to our Architecture map soon.

Cheers

Chris Thomas
www.mapedia-uk.net

Last edited by mapedia; April 29th, 2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Updating Map URL
Old May 14th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Ahsan558

Likes (Received): 0

Can we see any place in it?
Ahsan558 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #8
HeneryNadela25

Likes (Received): 2

How can we see any location through that?
HeneryNadela25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:18 PM   #9
urishab

Likes (Received): 229

cool tool

I like it
A few comments:
1. The letters are tiny on my screen. I get the desire to fit the whole interface neatly on one screen but this is too much.
2. Is there a way to click the map to set the area to search? Or even automatically as I pan and zoom the map? That would be better.

Not much content in wikipedia around my country (Israel). Kind of makes me want to add to it though.
urishab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:27 PM   #10
urishab

Likes (Received): 229

re: skyscraper search

I really like this feature, however I don't get the options.
By "ANY" do you mean this feature is turned off and any article can be found whether it is a skyscraper or not? That's not clear.

A few more comments:
There should be a way to click and open the wikipedia article in a new window.
Is there a way to view SkyScraperCity articles on the map?
Is there even a way to mark the location of a SkyScraperCity article? It seems an obvious feature.

Also the site looks very good
urishab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Doan Bao

Likes (Received): 1

How can i see my location by 3D picture ?