daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #1
rpigeon

Likes (Received): 5

Descriptive document in english for highway project

Good evening

I'm a engineer from Portugal working on a projecto of a highway outside my country. I would like to Know if someone Could please suply a descriptive document so I Could use has an example and use it has a guideline.

Many thanks in advance for the help in this new adventure in the internacional engineering market.

Best regards to all
rpigeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #2
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2208

Use the phrases "Fantastic" "Epic" "World beating" and "World class" a lot...and everyone will love the description even if it is not quite true.

Always think of what José would call it....and in the English Speaking world there is only one José and he is Portugese.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Sign up for a roadgeek forum in an English-speaking country like AA Roads in the US or SABRE in the UK. Should be plenty of people there in your field to advise you.

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/index.php

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #4
rpigeon

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Sign up for a roadgeek forum in an English-speaking country like AA Roads in the US or SABRE in the UK. Should be plenty of people there in your field to advise you. http://www.aaroads.com/forum/ http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/index.php
Thank you, I'll do that
rpigeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 01:53 AM   #5
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

As someone who had written technical reports for international infrastructure projects in the past I can advice somehow.

Most important: you have to know very good what sort of legislation and technical specifications are valid in a country that you work for. You also need to know very good the structure of project documents for that country.

Technical descriptions are more or less pretty similar through Europe. If you know how to make descriptive documents in Portugal then it should not be so much different to those for other countries. Of course, depending on level of project (a study, preliminary project, final project, etc) there can be more differences and they could include some things which maybe in Portugal are barely mentioned but in some other countries are examined in great detail ore, vice versa, you should not include detailed description of things that are maybe pretty much unimportant in that country.

Good knowledge of English is necessary, especially usage of correct technical terms. I worked with Italian engineers and I have to say that their English is quite worse than English of many Italian members of this forum. Not that mine is perfect, far from that, but at least I don't use word-for-word translation.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 02:04 AM   #6
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Send me a PM about what you'd like to include in the document and maybe I could help you out. The more info, the better.

rpigeon liked this post
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote