daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2015, 07:16 PM   #121
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6094

No, because there are other threads for that. This one is specifically for North America and their awesome 4 miles per hour "streetcars".

General posts about trams go here, the ones from Africa go here(where you have already posted..) and there are individual threads about cities and countries (also those which you already mentioned) on this international section already. You could have summarized all those photos by just saying "French-style" by the way.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #122
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

- edit: no full articles, thanks
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #123
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Quote:
Tucson's streetcar exceeds ridership expectations

A Sun Link streetcar rolls through Main Gate Square at the intersection of East University Boulevard and North Park Avenue.

March 15, 2015 9:00 pm • By Patrick McNamara

After seven months in operation, Tucson’s Sun Link streetcar appears to have exceeded ridership estimates.

Streetcar ridership has been averaging more than 4,000 people each weekday, the Tucson Department of Transportation’s Jeremy Papuga told the Pima Association of Government Management Committee last week.

The city had estimated 3,600 weekday riders.

On weekends with large downtown area events, Papuga said the streetcar averages 8,000 daily riders.
read more at : http://tucson.com/news/business/tucs...8ae0b219b.html
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; April 23rd, 2015 at 08:09 AM.
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #124
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:

St. Louis, University City leaders kick off Loop Trolley project

March 12, 2015 11:15 pm • By Ken Leiser
UNIVERSITY CITY • In a program with touches fit for a high school pep rally, top civic leaders in St. Louis and University City on Thursday marked the start of construction on a “first-class” streetcar system connecting the Loop with Forest Park.

The $43 million, two-mile Loop Trolley is expected to open in late 2016. Construction begins on a roundabout at Delmar Boulevard and Trinity Avenue later this month.

“Today we go back to the future,” said St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay. “The Loop, of course, actually got its name from the streetcar system that serviced this area, connecting people to restaurants, shopping, entertainment and jobs.”

Businessman Joe Edwards said a vintage trolley “built in a first-class manner” can support growth of economic development and tourism.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/traffic...40edd749b.html
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #125
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Sleek, Modern Trolleys Coming to Philly

Nationwide, the streetcar trend seems to be ebbing. But SEPTA has big plans to modernize its trolley fleet.

By Malcolm Burnley | March 18, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Philadelphia has the largest trolley system in the nation, a title it’s held since the 1970s. But the old-school tanks climbing up and down city streets look like relics from our parents’ (or grandparents’) generation. Trolleys along Baltimore Avenue in the Southwest are early-80s Kawasaki models; on Girard Avenue, the trolleys are actually reconditioned from the ‘40s.

In a few years, though, that’s going to change in a big way.

In an interview with Citified, SEPTA’s director of strategic planning and analysis, Byron Comati, said that a massive trolley fleet renovation is on the horizon. “Once the Key system is done, the next biggie that has complications will be trolley modernization,” Comati said. “It’s a transformational project. You do this once in a generation.”
Read more at : http://www.phillymag.com/citified/20...cl68P0bCHqA.99

Last edited by Nexis; April 4th, 2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:26 AM   #126
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1987

I hope they plan to extend that STL line, it doesn't go anywhere. They could have at least extended it across the park to the zoo...

Here in KC they are making good progress on the starter line and should easily meet their goal of testing by this fall and being fully operational by early 2016. Only a few blocks of rail left to install. The pole bases have also been poured, so they just need to attach the poles and overhead wires. The last thing they need to finish is the streetcar maintenance facility which now has all the walls and roof on it too.

The block in the picture was made into a 1 way street with back in parking when they installed the rails.

Last edited by weava; March 19th, 2015 at 02:33 AM.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #127
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
This one is specifically for North America and their awesome 4 miles per hour "streetcars".
There's an article about the streetcar bust in the NY Times from a few days ago...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/bu...me-cities.html

I don't think the situation is that dire, but the Washington DC streetcar debacle is too much even for the streetcar purists and may create a nationwide reputational stink that will doom many other projects before they get off the ground (in many cases, rightfully so; in others, not so much).
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #128
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
There's an article about the streetcar bust in the NY Times from a few days ago...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/bu...me-cities.html

I don't think the situation is that dire, but the Washington DC streetcar debacle is too much even for the streetcar purists and may create a nationwide reputational stink that will doom many other projects before they get off the ground (in many cases, rightfully so; in others, not so much).
A large part of the issues with the budget overruns has to do with our constant need to carry out lengthy investigations of every little extra cost. That in itself costs a lot of money (millions per investigation and review) and significantly delays the project. The delays increase the costs of labor and materials, which are themselves steadily increasing in cost.

With regards to the speed of 4 miles per hour, I believe there is very poor enforcement of the rules for the drivers that share the street, so they regularly wait on the tracks to make a turn or maneuver for a long period of time to get into those precious parking spots that could not be removed. There also isn't a system of traffic light prioritization, so the other delays regularly cause the train to miss the traffic lights. If the streetcars were able to travel with minimal interruptions from drivers (who generally hate anything that takes away a lane from them and respond with road rage, hence the many crashes), the train would be able to travel far faster. Street traffic likely also limps along at the same speed or slower, including all of the stops that are included for the streetcar.

Beyond that, particularly with regards to the DC Streetcar, the regulations are so unnecessarily strict that literally anything will cause it to fail, and I highly doubt that certain people are doing anything to help the process along. If buses were put to the same strict regulations, there would be no buses. I read recently, if I could ever find that article, that the streetcar is being put under strict vibration studies as a test for the chance of derailing. Any issue found has to be fixed by grinding and polishing the rails and starting all over again with the tests. A bus on the same standards would have to be retested for every pothole in the road, after that pothole was finally filled, smoothened, and flattened by weeks of impacts from tires.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:57 PM   #129
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2177

The wind blowing into the streetcars renaissance during last years may be changing, but not everywhere: after a long time of debating and uncertainty, Galveston, TX decided to restore his rater unique diesel-powered “heritage trolley” (indeed, they're neither heritage car, but 80's replica by Miner Railcar, nor trolley, since there isn't any overhead wire) system, which was heavily damaged by Hurricane Ike in 2008. The City Council made this choice obtorto collo, although whit a large majority: urged by the approaching deadline for restoration funds (federal, insurance and some local), they simply prefer to use them, facing 200˙000÷300˙000 $ of potential annual operating losses, rather than have to cope with enormous withdrawal costs - up to 13 M$ between FTA's money payback, funds lost and removal works.

Here, two articles
from Houston Chronicle (26 February 2015, the Council's vote day)
from Railway Age (27 February 2015)

"Trolley Galveston" by Beth Punches (zabethanne), on Flickr
licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0
- - -
tramcar 503 at UTMB terminus, some months before service suspension

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo è un uomo -

Last edited by Yak79; March 19th, 2015 at 10:06 PM.
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #130
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

[youtube]p4w_ve_hJGY[/youtube.com

Streetcar and Light Rail mixes on the streets of Portland.

http://youtu.be/p4w_ve_hJGY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p4w_ve_hJGY
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #131
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6094

To Speed Service, Seattle Looks to Separate Streetcars From Auto Traffic
Quote:
As streetcars make a comeback in cities across America, they are under scrutiny from transit advocates who complain about service quality.

Atlanta’s new streetcar has produced disappointing ridership numbers, with sources reporting it’s not much faster than walking. And Yonah Freemark at the Transport Politic reports that after a fairly strong start, Seattle’s South Lake Union streetcar has seen ridership sputter, with a 7 percent decline in the last year.

But the good news is Seattle has zeroed in on a key issue with the line. Freemark reports:

[...]

The problem may have something to do with the way the streetcar runs: In the street, sharing lanes with cars. The results have been slow vehicles — the line’s scheduled service averages less than eight miles per hour — often held back by traffic and a lack of reliability. This can produce horror stories of streetcars getting stuck for half an hour or more behind other vehicles and, combined with infrequent service, it certainly reinforces the sense that streetcars are too slow and unreliable to provide any serious transportation benefit.

Not going to say I told you so. But I told you so.

Nexis liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:56 AM   #132
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I'll try this again. This is the Portland MAX light rail and Streetcar mixing in city streets.

Nexis liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #133
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post

I'll try this again. This is the Portland MAX light rail and Streetcar mixing in city streets.
At ~3:00 Did they seriously extend double track up Fourth Ave and then leave about 20 feet of single track on Montgomery?

Well, at least the MAX signal preemption systems seem to be effective.

lkstrknb liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #134
Nexis
Dark Wolf

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old April 4th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #135
dimlys1994

Memphis heritage streetcar map on urbanrail.net:

Nexis liked this post
Old April 4th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #136
lunarwhite

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Memphis heritage streetcar map on urbanrail.net:

The Memphis operation has been suspended since June 2014 following two fires which destroyed two Melbourne cars. MATA, the transit agency, has been trying to improve the cars and resume operation. Here is a local television report.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/28...taking-so-long

dimlys1994 liked this post
lunarwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #137
Electricron

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
IMHO, the entire LRT vs streetcar thing is just a dumb political term manipulation, even if was invented with good intention of selling modern tram systems to American public.
In cities, where old tram systems wasn't closed, but upgraded and extended over period of time, there stretches that can be qualified as LRT, but also some stretches that can be qualified as streetcar.
The same goes for vehicles - some system were upgraded for lager trams, some, for legacy reasons wasn't, but that all called "trams" anyway.
If you were to check photos of even the same vehicles being used as light rail and streetcars, there's usually one item that sticks out that tells the difference.

Check the overhead wires; if it's just a single trolley wire over the vechicle, it is usually a streetcar or tram; but if it is a catenary rigging supporting the power wire it is usually a light rail vehicle.

Yes, that is a significant difference, because the catenary rigging helps the vehicles under the power wire go faster because the wire can be under higher tension and there's less chance for the paragraph to snag the wire.
Usually vehicles operating under just a trolley wire are limited to 60 km/h max speeds while vehicles under catenary rigging can go 100 km/h and HSR trains can reach speeds up to 300 km/h.

Klausenburg liked this post
Electricron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 01:23 AM   #138
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Santa Ana’s Streetcar Project Has Inside Track

By Adam Elmahrek
April 6, 2015
Voice of OC

An artist's rendering of a streetcar on Fourth Street in Santa Ana (Image courtesy of Voice of OC).

"When it comes to future streetcar lines in Orange County, it's become increasingly clear that Santa Ana has the inside track.

While a proposed project in Anaheim faces stiff opposition locally and is apparently getting the cold shoulder from federal officials, the opposite seems to be true for Santa Ana's proposal.

For evidence, look no further than the interactions county Supervisor Shawn Nelson has had with Washington. In February he said Federal Transit Administration (FTA) officials seem “very interested” in Santa Ana's project, and that it isn't just some "futuristic," or "pie in the sky" proposition..."
http://voiceofoc.org/2015/04/santa-a...-inside-track/
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #139
dimlys1994

Two new light rail maps on urbanrail.net - updated DART map:

And Downtown Dallas map:

lechevallierpatrick, Klausenburg liked this post
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:05 AM   #140
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

The Hurontario-Main LRT had its funding for $1.6 billion project approved by the Provincial government this week. Construction is expected to begin in 2018 and be completed by 2022. The plan has been modified from originally planned terminating at the Port Credit GO Station rather than in the village itself. Brampton is still fine tuning its end of the line as some residents were concerned about running in mixed traffic through the historic downtown.

For those unfamiliar with the area the 407 is roughly the boundary between Mississauga and Brampton.

Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, light rail, méxico, north america, streetcars, trams, usa