daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #21
spsmiler

Likes (Received): 2

Being such a curious beast I also took some internal views.

The upper deck, as seen whilst standing on the stairway. The headroom is *very* restricted, such that when standing even a short person has to stoop.

The view from near the front, looking towards the rear. The stairway to the upper floor section is behind the brown facia at the end of the seats on the right.

Lower deck view, from the back looking forwards. Note the slope in the footway leading up towards the main body of the bus.

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #22
KYLIEDOG

Likes (Received): 14

Hi to all trolleybus fans,

I live in Liege (Belgium) and I would like to complete some pictures showh here above. You have already seen some pictures from the very unusual bi-directional trolleybus from Seraing (next to Liege), here's another picture of this vehicle:

Now I would like to show you some pictures taken inside this vehicle:

Now here's a picture of trolleybus, the T54. 30 vehicles were build and they were used from 1954 unti 1971 when the whole trolleybus network was dismantled and replaced by diesel busses. One T54 has been preserved in the Liege museum.

Now there is only one trolleybus line remaining in Belgium. This line is in Ghent. It was opened in 1989 and is still running today.
Kyliedog
www.trams-trolleybus.be
KYLIEDOG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #23
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

In Grenoble, there is no more trolleybuses since 1999 :
Vetra VBRh :

Vetra VBR :

Vetra VBF :

Berliet ER100 :

All French trolleybuses :
http://www.amtuir.org/dossiers/troll...b/index_tb.htm
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #24
Jeff_in_Dayton

Likes (Received): 1

Dayton is one of only five cities in the USA to retain trollybusses, and is probably the smallest city of the few who do have them.

"Trackless Trolleys" came in 1933, and continue to this day, including some route expansions in the 1990s. The city had four private transport companies, which eventually merged into the public regional transit authority (RTA)...so the early busses had different color schemes and logos..

Here are some old pix

...1940s/50s

..1950s or 60s (this looks like a gas bus rebuilt as a trolley)

Christmas Trolley

pudgym29 liked this post
Jeff_in_Dayton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #25
Jeff_in_Dayton

Likes (Received): 1

Here are some more pix

From the 1930s, the first ones in Dayton, on the Dayton Street Railways

...and two from the Dayton-Xenia line (D-X)..which also used to be an interurban railroad....

Publicity from the 1930s

Example of two different transit companies..D-X and maybe City...they shared wire downtown...

Three trolley busses, three different companies...Peoples, Oakwood Street Railway, and City Transit. D-X was still running streetcars at this time, and there was also the Dayton Suburban Railroad (which is why you see the tracks)

Modern trolley from the 1970s

Skoda prototypes

..one on the right is what they are running now
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #26
Petronius
Ich bin's

Likes (Received): 4

spsmiler, I do MISS Porto's trolley cars. I miss going up to the second deck and just sit there .. I was but a child.. I used to LOVE it. The last line was finally shut down some ten odd years ago...
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #27
blue79
it's always the same

Likes (Received): 6

The first trolleybus line was opend in Sofia in 1941.This is a pic of the first bulgarian made trolleybus 1951

In the early 60's

In the 70's

From 1988 on

blue79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 03:20 AM   #28
Petronius
Ich bin's

Likes (Received): 4

some more of Oporto's double deckers..(taken from railaneurope.net)

Old January 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #29
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Gdynia Poland

this is - i hope - the old trolleybus from Warszawa/Warsaw - but i'm not sure. It could be Lublin as well.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Last edited by Falubaz; January 28th, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #30
hokomoko

Likes (Received): 86

Istanbul and Izmir from Turkey

In Istanbul we rode trolleybuses between 1961 and 1982 heres a picture of Ansaldo Fiat trolleybus :

Izmir trolleybuses:
These were in service between 1954 and 1986:

Last edited by hokomoko; January 31st, 2006 at 12:56 PM.
hokomoko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM   #31
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

How fast are trolley buses???

I've heard they have fantastic acceleration, from what I've been able to dig up their max speeds are only around 60km/h. Is this true??? Also, since one of the reasons for such low top speeds I've read is because if the buses go too fast, the hooks can disconnected, if it had its own dedicated lane could this problem be resolved???

If not, it really is a shame, cause more spread out cities would really benefit from bi-articulated buses that would not eat up have the transit budget in oil costs alone.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:42 AM   #32
dchengg
davidchengg

Likes (Received): 2

i heard that trolleys in vancouver, are 60km/h at the max well... it doesnt really matter, cuz speed limit on vancouver streets are 50km/h and its not likely youre guna see trolleys on highways~
dchengg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM   #33
Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 11

Electric trolleys have significantly faster acceleration than diesel buses while simultaneously being virtually silent. I've been on trolleys that easily do 60+ km/h on the Granville street bridge when they can sustain their speed without stopping almost every block or being slowed down by traffic. Vancouver's new trolley fleet are pretty sleek and have even faster acceleration than the trolleys they are replacing.

The new New Flyer trolley buses (standard 40ft and articulated 60ft)

Vancouverite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM   #34
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Trolleybuses can go fast, but because of the traffic within the downtown, they can't go fast at all. Also, new type trolleybuses can overtake the other trolleybus without causing any collutions to the pantographs.

BTW, I like the accelerating sound for the non-A/C trolleybuses.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM   #35
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

80km! http://www.trolleybusseninarnhem.nl/ > 0201
And they do drive that fast on buslanes.
eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM   #36
Janis_LV
Janis_LV

Likes (Received): 0

Earlier trolleybusses had to slow down almost to full stop at every junction of wires and these were not only in crossings, but also where 2 lines joined or one line split in two. Riga has very extensive trolleybus route network and I am using trolleybus every day and I can only say buses are going faster, because they don't have the wires and no need to stop every 100 meters for one junction. Modern trolleybusses seem to have solved partially this problem, but I dont have confidence. For long hauls I would still prefer bus to trolleybus, although for the environment obviously trolleys are better
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #37
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Shanghai KGP trolley-buses by Sunwin Coach, and HOA trolley-buses by Hangzhou Changjiang Coach, can only reach 50km/hr at most.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #38
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis_LV View Post
Earlier trolleybusses had to slow down almost to full stop at every junction of wires and these were not only in crossings, but also where 2 lines joined or one line split in two. Riga has very extensive trolleybus route network and I am using trolleybus every day and I can only say buses are going faster, because they don't have the wires and no need to stop every 100 meters for one junction. Modern trolleybusses seem to have solved partially this problem, but I dont have confidence. For long hauls I would still prefer bus to trolleybus, although for the environment obviously trolleys are better
That was the case in Arnhem about 20-30 years ago, and these were the changes: have busstops near junctions, so trolley buses slow down once for two reasons. Cut the number of lines and build a core network offering services to the busiest parts of the city.

There are 4 lines; #3 and #7 come together near a bunch of huge offices, 3&7 join 1&5 at one of the main squares near the big warehouses. In between those busstations, the trolley buses ride on straight, smooth and exclusive lanes. The buses carry transponders that control the traffic lights and give them priority.

It's fun taking over all other means of transport when you're sat comfortably in the trolley bus.
eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #39
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
Trolleybuses can go fast, but because of the traffic within the downtown, they can't go fast at all. Also, new type trolleybuses can overtake the other trolleybus without causing any collutions to the pantographs.

BTW, I like the accelerating sound for the non-A/C trolleybuses.
How is it possible to overtake another trolley? ...
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #40
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
How is it possible to overtake another trolley? ...
Just the same as overtaking other vehicles, but they may need to lowered the pantographs and use their own electric supply to keep running.

Tags
trolleybuses