daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Skylines

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Winnipeg, Canada
10 41 12.77%
9.5 18 5.61%
9 20 6.23%
8.5 17 5.30%
8 31 9.66%
7.5 39 12.15%
7 52 16.20%
6.5 20 6.23%
6 28 8.72%
5.5 6 1.87%
5 16 4.98%
4.5 8 2.49%
4 6 1.87%
3.5 5 1.56%
>3 14 4.36%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 5th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #21
parody24

Likes (Received):

Winnipeg looks good for a metro of 700,000.
I gave it a 7/10.
Those aerial photos were fantastic. Gives a damn good
perspective of the whole city center.

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2003, 03:47 AM   #22
SteelCity32
Don't be that guy!

Likes (Received): 6

nice photos. Pretty small amount of scrapers. But Win is one of my favorite cities.

7/10
Old January 10th, 2003, 04:02 AM   #23
Andy6

Likes (Received): 0

Given that Winnipeg's real interest is its historic office buildings and warehouses, the fact that there are also a fair number of modern skyscrapers is just a bonus.
Andy6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 06:34 AM   #24
Jeff from Winnipeg

Likes (Received): 2

Hey Andy! Finally made the journey over to this forum, eh? Welcome! It's great to have another Winnipeg-booster on here. The only other real Winnipeg-booster on here is slugggradio (former Winnipegger, like yourself, who now lives in Calgary).

This forum has a lot more international exposure than SSP and is generally more mature... that's good in most ways.

And a warning: Never say anything bad about Melbourne, Australia. They'll find it and and gang up on you.

So once again... Welcome! It'll be great to see you around.
Jeff from Winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #25
Andy6

Thanks JfW. I will keep the Melbourne tip in mind. I think I was on this forum a few times before, but I can't remember what my name was.
Old January 10th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #26
Dean

Likes (Received): 911

<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Jeff from Winnipeg </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Welcome! And a warning: Never say anything bad about Melbourne, Australia. They'll find it and and gang up on you.
</td></tr>
</table>
That's hardly the case dude.

Cheers

Dean - Melbourne
Dean está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 02:01 AM   #27
Andy6

<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Dean </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top><table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Jeff from Winnipeg </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Welcome! And a warning: Never say anything bad about Melbourne, Australia. They'll find it and and gang up on you.
</td></tr>
</table>
That's hardly the case dude.

Cheers

Dean - Melbourne</td></tr>
</table>

Hmm. That's verging on being a self-refuting comment.

Australians say "dude"? What happened to "mate"?
Old January 11th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #28
isoboy

Likes (Received): 3

Not a bad skyline, not a particularly impressive one either - a mediocre skyline. One good point is the amount of skyscrapers - there are lots of them, even though none are particularly high. As for architectural styles, there are several interesting buildings, but the vast majority are bland. No real eyesores though. Overall, 5.5/10.

On a completely different point, I'm surprised and shocked at the amount of downtown space that is taken up by parking lots. Does Winnipeg have a functional public transport system or does everyone travel to work by car? And surely the predominance of parking lots at ground level = an absence of urban street-life. There seems to be parking lots where one would expect shops, restaurants, cafes etc.
isoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #29
Andy6

Winnipeg has a huge downtown for its size and over the years a lot of parking lots have been created as older buildings have been torn down. It is also a very cold city (one of the coldest in the world) for 4-5 months of the year, which makes transit use unattractive to all but the poorest (and street life somewhat difficult to maintain). The older Exchange District, which consists in many blocks of 1900-era brick and cut stone warehouses and elaborate terra cotta office towers, has few parking lots, great "curb appeal", and is beginning to develop the cafes and street life that is lacking in the more business oriented part of downtown. You can see it in the background of some of the aerial photos, running west from the river.

I think the general lack of real eyesores among the more modern skyscrapers is a blessing. It's about all you can hope for in Canada.
Old January 12th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #30
Jeff from Winnipeg

That is so true, Andy (the over-sized downtown part specifically). I always try to imagine the downtown in a shrunk-down form, still containing all the existing buildings, but putting them all into a 10-block area. It would probably be really dense... the TD, IG, Fort Garry Place, Trizec, MTS, Richardson and Radisson in the centre, surrounded by the rest. Of course, for it to have been more dense right off the bat (let's say around Portage and Main), a whole bunch of heritage buildings would've had to come down. So you win some you lose some.
Old January 12th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #31
isoboy

Likes (Received): 3

Yes, Winnipeg does have an impressively large downtown for its size - that would explain the large amount of "vacant" downtown land devoted to parking lots etc. And I guess the climate is a big factor in any consideration of "streetlife" - downtown restaurants, cafes etc. Despite any shortcomings in the skyline, the city looks attractive and well-planned and seems to be surrounded by very pleasant suburbs, with lots of greenery. A new "signature" tower would look great in the city.
isoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 04:58 AM   #32
proudmelbourneguy

Likes (Received):

Winnepegs quite suprising for a city of it's size, I voted it better then edmonton, which i think looks like shit, i gave it 7... anbd on melbourne - wasnt gona say a thing bout it, until i saw a comment, were fine if u dont like things bout our city, like canuck not liking the spiers, did we give him hell? No. Certain forumers get hastle because they make completely ridiculous statements, which i see as stirring shit...

Thanks guys
Old January 15th, 2003, 07:06 AM   #33
Jeff from Winnipeg

Thanks for the comments proudmelbourneguy!

Anyways... I just said that cuz I've seen a couple threads go totally crazy after some kind of anti-Melbournesque comments. I was kinda just joking about it too... you know, just breaking the ice for the new forumer. I meant nothing by it, seriously.

Also, I like spires! I think Canada has way too many boxes. I think the next building that goes up in this city should have a big spire that is lit-up at night... be a real landmark.
Old January 16th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #34
proudmelbourneguy

Likes (Received):

Na I understand man, just some of the comments of late are so bullshit, and It's just been slowely getting to me, these forums are fantastic, and i just hope they dont go the way other forums have..
Yeah love spiars man, how could anyone not like them:P hehe, well personal opinion i suppose......
I rekon a well designed spiared building will look fantastic in Winnipeg, whic I thinks a swell looking ciy for it's size..
Old January 31st, 2003, 12:54 AM   #35
Jeff from Winnipeg

Some more Winnipeg shots:

Old January 31st, 2003, 06:11 PM   #36
kiku99
ไทย Amazing Thailand 泰国

Likes (Received): 7

not bad. 5/10

Bangkok Skyline Links
Thai forum | Bangkok Skyscrapers Info | Amazing Thailand | Bangkok City
kiku99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #37
blah blah

Likes (Received):

Winnipeg near Arctic?

Eric Wong from Australia - "Winnipeg is near arctic." This is a ridiculous statement. Anyone familiar with Canadian geography would know that Winnipeg is no closer to the arctic circle than Australia is to the Antarctic circle.

By the way couple skyscraper projects on horizon in next few years - Manitoba Hydro tower, and the CanWest global tower.
Old February 8th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #38
Andy6

Winnipeg is at the same latitude as London.
Old February 17th, 2003, 08:09 AM   #39
Jeff from Winnipeg

Gotta add some more...

Old April 19th, 2003, 12:43 AM   #40
BGT

Likes (Received):

7/10

Tags
winnipeg