daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects For completed tall buildings in and around Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 27th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #1
mikey23

Likes (Received): 123

Birmingham Conservatoire | Jennens Road | Eastside | Comp

Seems like time for its own thread.

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/n...contentID=7303

Quote:
Fielden Clegg Bradley Studios (FCBS), BDP and Ian Simpson Architects have been shortlisted to design a new £40 million home for the Birmingham Conservatoire

The high-profile Birmingham City University-backed project will create a new 12,000m² home for the prestigious music school and concert venue next to Grimshaw’s iconic Millennium Point.

Planned to open in 2017, the new building will be at the centre of Birmingham’s Eastside regeneration zone which is already home to Birmingham City University and expected to undergo massive transformation as a terminal for HS2.

The conservatoire must relocate from its currentParadise Circus home as part of Glenn Howells’ plans for £450 million makeover of the city centre district.

University vice-chancellor Cliff Allan said: “Birmingham City Council’s redevelopment of Paradise Circus meant that a new home was needed for our world-famous Birmingham Conservatoire.

He continued: ‘Over the past few months the University has been in close negotiation with Birmingham City Council to reach an appropriate agreement. Subject to confirmation of the Compulsory Purchase Order of Paradise Circus by the Secretary of State, construction is expected to commence in summer 2014.

‘I am delighted that an agreement has been reached which will enable Birmingham Conservatoire to relocate to this new, state-of-the-art building by summer 2017.’

The new building will feature two major performance alongside private rehearsal rooms and teaching spaces.

The winning architect will be announced next month.

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 2019

Append Removed

Last edited by Guilbert53; July 9th, 2017 at 07:12 PM.
Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #3
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 5450

A photo I took yesterday, from beyond Howe Street towards BOA

Coincidently both photos have billboards of Fosters Gold (beer)!

The coach park, as seen on a weekend last summer

Sandblast liked this post
ellbrown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #4
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 589

i great location inho and great given the type of developments which are sprouting along jennings road... i just wish we had a greater idead of what is to become of this major road into the city... it will host many great cultural facilities, lets see if there are environmental improvements to reflect this...

im interested to see how the building will be developed... it does appear to be a very tight site!
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #5
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Currently Jennens Road is having new lampposts installed! (by Amey or another contractor). The Cardigan Street junction is more or less complete! (Cardigan Street yet to reopen).

It's just Aston University and Birmingham Metropolitan College on one side, BCU and BOA on the other! (Education Quarter).

Also one of my routes to and from work!
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #6
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 6118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellbrown View Post
Currently Jennens Road is having new lampposts installed! (by Amey or another contractor). The Cardigan Street junction is more or less complete! (Cardigan Street yet to reopen).

It's just Aston University and Birmingham Metropolitan College on one side, BCU and BOA on the other! (Education Quarter).

Also one of my routes to and from work!
Its about time! The lamposts were the oldest things on that road lol, wonder if the'll be LEDs, the ones on Holloway Head/Bath Row look great at night.

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #7
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

They look like the big black ones most A roads have been getting (I think).
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #8
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 389

this new building better not be grey..........

ReissOmari, DBadger, Typhoon2000 liked this post
pirlo_21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #9
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 2847

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlo_21 View Post
Agree.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #10
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlo_21 View Post
Nah, it'll be off-black

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #11
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1308

would be nice to be stone colour - cladding of course....
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #12
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Noticed in the title it says "Jennens Row". It is actually "Jennens Road"!
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #13
Guilbert53

Append Removed

ellbrown, van heckler liked this post

Last edited by Guilbert53; July 9th, 2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #14
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
i great location inho and great given the type of developments which are sprouting along jennings road... i just wish we had a greater idead of what is to become of this major road into the city... it will host many great cultural facilities, lets see if there are environmental improvements to reflect this...

im interested to see how the building will be developed... it does appear to be a very tight site!
Not sure where you get the whole cultural thing from. This area is purely for educational facilities and the Birmingham Conservatoire's primary raisin d'etre is educational. If the cultural element took more of a prominence then the Centenary Square area of Broad Street by the old bank would have been a much more suitable place to tie-in with the Library and the ICC. It seems this is plainly an education faculty, just like the rest of the developments here.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #15
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 589

Existing of confirmed...

- Millenium Point and Think Tank
- BOA
- Birmingham Conservatoire
- BCU and Aston Uni events and facilities

Proposed

- Ikon 2 Museum

Granted i appreciate educational is an obvious but i also think the cultural element of this is truly starting to develop. All of the above will offer cultural reasons for non-students of the city to come to the eastside to see performances etc...

i just personally get the view that after years of an identity crisis, eastside has finally found a use and identify for itself and with all the developments now coming to the fore, its pushing ahead with it...
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #16
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

It's very rare that BCU allows public access to their buildings and BOA hasn't opened up either. Whilst I get that you might be able stretch the cultural angle (well, there is a cinema I suppose) the educational element is the one that is felt strongest here at the moment.

If anything I think that Ikon should ditch the gallery on this side of the tracks and develop a museum on the otherside to help kickstart other developments in that area. This is where Typhoo Wharf could do with a MediaCityUK style of development project to complement Rhubarb and the Custard Factory.

Certainly for this side however, I'd like to see a Birmingham Transport museum and a Birmingham Design Museum as the city and its wider region has contributed so much to both over at least the last 200 years.

Last edited by Typhoon2000; December 20th, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #17
Guilbert53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
Certainly for this side however, I'd like to see a Birmingham Transport museum and a Birmingham Design Museum as the city and its wider region has contributed so much to both over at least the last couple 200 years.
I always feel a country that keeps building museums is always looking back instead of forward.

Instead of a transport museum lets spend the money on buildings to DESIGN and BUILD cars or motorbikes or other vehicles.

Instead of a design museum lets build a college that teaches design in all its forms (a museum could even be part of that, to let people study design from the past).
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #18
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilbert53 View Post
I always feel a country that keeps building museums is always looking back instead of forward.

Instead of a transport museum lets spend the money on buildings to DESIGN and BUILD cars or motorbikes or other vehicles.

Instead of a design museum lets build a college that teaches design in all its forms (a museum could even be part of that, to let people study design from the past).
Actually, museums can be very effective educational establishments which can work brilliantly to train precisely those innovators you describe. You have to see what went before, before you can go forward.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #19
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Umm.. We already have that? Coventry's NAIC is already got its gears turning, MIRAs automotive hub is underway and JLR and BMW are investing in British marques as madly as ever. That's a pretty invalid argument Guilbert, its a bit silly. And isn't a good idea to inspire the younger generation to look forward to understand what came before? I mean I would never have got into automotive engineering if I hadn't seen Thrust 2 and the amazing gorgeous E-Type up close all them years ago.

Were you and Manzoni best friends by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
Actually, museums can be very effective educational establishments which can work brilliantly to train precisely those innovators you describe. You have to see what went before, before you can go forward.
And I am very jealous of the jewel that Coventry has in its city.

Last edited by Typhoon2000; April 13th, 2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #20
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 535

I agree with Guilbert - museums tend to be quite poor and retrospective in the UK. Far better to have education or industrial facilities with museums attached I think, to make that connection.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: