daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #21
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

The Kuala Lumpur monorail photo archive, 13 pages worth of it with captions. It's worth to check it out!

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/KLspecial01.html
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #22
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias
Hardly there is deaf pride with no discrimination problems. I believe discrimination is almost everywhere. Lot of hearing people think deaf cannot do anything like hearing people can do, we sure can do lot of things. They just need an education to get better knowledge about deaf people that CAN do it at workplace, there are many devices avialable that enables deaf people to communicate at the workplace.

back to the monorail subject (sorry got off point)

*Back to Monorail Subject*

Which is world that has longest distance of monorail?
VansTripp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #23
sequoias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink182

*Back to Monorail Subject*

Which is world that has longest distance of monorail?
Tokyo, I believe. They have the world's longest monorail line system.
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #24
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2530

Sorry Tuan Baqthier, I have riden KL Monorail in 2004 and I got very bumpy ride ... Hope that KL Monorail has rectified this problem to improve riding quality though.
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #25
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

Mono Rails are bad because there are so many better alternitaves. They are basicaly buses with sideways wheels riding a beam, that cost billions to build and way to much to maintain. They look nice an were once considered futuristic, ALRT and Light Rail is what should be built.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #26
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 42

Monorail is very highest techology transit in the world.
VansTripp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #27
Guerrero

Likes (Received): 0

Are there any examples of more than two car monorails. It would seem to me that all I have seen are two car trains. If they were longer then perhaps they would be more popular.
Guerrero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #28
sequoias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero
Are there any examples of more than two car monorails. It would seem to me that all I have seen are two car trains. If they were longer then perhaps they would be more popular.
Google it and find more examples, there are mostly configured to 4 car trains or 2 car trains, common place around the world.
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:38 AM   #29
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

Usually it is run in either 2 or 4 car consists, as that allows for greater frequency. Disney's Bomabardier runs in 6 car consists. There is no real reason that you could not run longer than that, other than the shear inconvenince of such a long train.
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #30
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero
The vast majority of monorail systems use trains with more than two cars. The following are a few examples:

Walt Disney World, Orlando

Tokyo Disneyland

Chongqing, China

Shonan, Japan

Las Vegas

Seattle (1962 World's Fair)

All the systems that use Hitachi Large Type trains feature four-car trains. These systems include Kitakyushu, Osaka, Tama, and Chongqing. Notable systems with two-car trains include Okinawa, Kuala Lumpur, the new Sentosa Island system in Singapore, and the system proposed by Cascadia Monorail for Seattle. The Okinawa trains are similar in design to the Tokyo Disneyland trains, which feature six-cars. The Tokyo-Haneda Airport line also uses six-car trains.

For further information, see the Monorail Society's website:
http://www.monorails.org/
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #31
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Can someone give me a better idea what it is that people dislike so much about monorails?
In my experience, people find monorails much more interesting than other types of transit systems. That is why the Disney parks feature monorails rather than trams. That is why the Seattle Monorail Project has survived four public votes whereas the Seattle Central Link light rail system failed several times at the ballot box before finally passing.

The question that should be asked is under what conditions any given type of transit system makes most sense. In a densely populated urban environment such as Manhattan or central London, an underground system is necessary to provide the required capacity without undue environmental impact at the surface. In areas where the population density is less extreme and where pre-existing at-grade corridors are available, light rail can be very cost effective. In corridors where it is difficult to build an at-grade system due to the narrowness of the streets or the difficulty of the terrain, monorail should be considered.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #32
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

Wow. I am surprised at the answers that I got. I was expecting more issues such as it being too simplistic, or it was too big, or that it was a foreign idea. I did not expect people to believe it was low capacity or too unrealistic as a form of transportation.
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #33
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I don't think there is anything wrong with Monorail perse, they are very effective in Tokyo. It doesn't have subway but capacity but Seattle doesn't and probably never will need.
I think it would be better thou, to keep with a NA proven technology ie SkyTrain like nearby Vancouver. It may not be ideal for all uses but it serves Vancouverites well and has proven itself to be fast, reliable, and safe.
21km was just built in just 2 years for $1.1bilCDN so how Seattle's 21km line is costing more than twice as much is beyond me.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #34
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink182
Monorail is very highest techology transit in the world.
I thought Maglev would be the highest tech.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #35
sequoias

ya, I think maglev has the highest tech mode of transportation since it has no wheels and it relys on magnets to float away, simple technology.
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #36
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
I quite like monorails, but I can see why many others don't. They do seem to have more disadvantages than possitives.

* They usually have far less capacity than cheaper modes of transport, and certainly less that an underground metro

* To look attractive, they have to be a single track monorails, double tracks when in a dense urban area just block out far too much light and sky from city scapes. The problem with single track is that they are either only going in one direction, or even less capacity by sharing tracks.

* Monorails are generally slower than a proper metro.

* Monorails do cost more than anything other than a metro

On positives, a monorail can be a nice tourist gimick, especially if it is a single track, and of quality design.

KL Monorail proved all the above untrue

- They have higher capacity than even Putraline and Starline if measured at the same length. This is because the train had a 3 metres interior space, similar to HK's MTR, Bkk's BTS and Singapore's MRT. The KL Monorail system could fit up to 12 trains (Currently only 2 trains are used as it haven't near its full capacity yet)

- KL Monorail's double tracks had critics proven wrong. Although aesthetics are subjective, but nice plant and landscaping had successfully donned the otherwise boring road dividers in KL.

- KL Monorail's fastest operating speed are at 90kmph but it goes on the average of 60kmph as the stations are kinda close to each other. A proper metro too runs on a similar speed.

- One of the main reason for the birth of Mtrans (the first Malaysian monorail manufacturer) and KL Monorail is because of the cost involved. It is cheaper to built and maintain than a regular metro. Plus it looks much nicer as the line had to zipped past a large part of KL's downtown and some trendy areas

Actually I could best compare the monorail with other systems because KL had a few types of metros. One of it - Putraline is Bombardier's Mark II trains which is the same model as the ones they used for Vancouver's new Skytrain. The other is an Adtranz model (now Bombardier). The oldest is a commuter system which runs on regular rails as the intercities.

ANother plus factor for monorails is the view it offered if compared to underground systems.

But there are also an underground monorail system coming soon......watch out for Putrajaya's monorail
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #37
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisarut
Sorry Tuan Baqthier, I have riden KL Monorail in 2004 and I got very bumpy ride ... Hope that KL Monorail has rectified this problem to improve riding quality though.

All transit system using rubber wheels would have bumpier rides if compared to its steel wheel counterparts.
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #38
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
KL Monorail proved all the above untrue

- They have higher capacity than even Putraline and Starline if measured at the same length. This is because the train had a 3 metres interior space, similar to HK's MTR, Bkk's BTS and Singapore's MRT. The KL Monorail system could fit up to 12 trains (Currently only 2 trains are used as it haven't near its full capacity yet)

- KL Monorail's double tracks had critics proven wrong. Although aesthetics are subjective, but nice plant and landscaping had successfully donned the otherwise boring road dividers in KL.

- KL Monorail's fastest operating speed are at 90kmph but it goes on the average of 60kmph as the stations are kinda close to each other. A proper metro too runs on a similar speed.

- One of the main reason for the birth of Mtrans (the first Malaysian monorail manufacturer) and KL Monorail is because of the cost involved. It is cheaper to built and maintain than a regular metro. Plus it looks much nicer as the line had to zipped past a large part of KL's downtown and some trendy areas

Actually I could best compare the monorail with other systems because KL had a few types of metros. One of it - Putraline is Bombardier's Mark II trains which is the same model as the ones they used for Vancouver's new Skytrain. The other is an Adtranz model (now Bombardier). The oldest is a commuter system which runs on regular rails as the intercities.

ANother plus factor for monorails is the view it offered if compared to underground systems.

But there are also an underground monorail system coming soon......watch out for Putrajaya's monorail
Wah such comprehensive intro on KL transit system......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #39
Shado

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
All transit system using rubber wheels would have bumpier rides if compared to its steel wheel counterparts.
Rubber wheels would be smoother than steel wheels. What kind of logic makes you think otherwise? I think if you're using examples it's probably that the track on the rubber wheeled system was alot less even than that of the steel wheeled system.

Typically most people's experiences with Monorails come from various outdated themepark experiences. Personally I've not ridden on a monorail that compares with a metro rail system, but plenty that more than compare with any light rail system I've ridden in.

:o But some monorails are truely shocking. The monorail on Sentosa Island in Singapore comes to mind.
Shado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #40
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

From what I hear the Vegas Monorail is very bumpy.