daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM   #101
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne
 
Yardmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,152
Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777 View Post
Chongquing maybe?
Is there a link?
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #102
forrestcat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Adelaide--Multiculturalization Capital
Posts: 1,837
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
Thank you for posting these images! I've searched the Scomi website for information about their new monorail design and have not found anything other than a news release. Based on the above images, I assume Scomi has a webpage on the monorail somewhere. Can you provide a link?
Here's a link on scomi monorail section.
http://www.scomigroup.com.my/core/energy_monorail.asp

There's also the technical brochure which nazrey posted before.
__________________
VISIT MALAYSIA 2007
MULTICULTURALIZATION CAPITAL-KUALA LUMPUR
http://www.tourism.gov.my/
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #103
forrestcat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Adelaide--Multiculturalization Capital
Posts: 1,837
Likes (Received): 7

Brace urself...lauch animation for the Roundabaout space shuttle..ooops...Malaysian SUTRA monorail..probably a parody of the Simpson's monorail....



More youtubes on the SUTRA



__________________
VISIT MALAYSIA 2007
MULTICULTURALIZATION CAPITAL-KUALA LUMPUR
http://www.tourism.gov.my/
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #104
forrestcat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Adelaide--Multiculturalization Capital
Posts: 1,837
Likes (Received): 7

sorry.double post
__________________
VISIT MALAYSIA 2007
MULTICULTURALIZATION CAPITAL-KUALA LUMPUR
http://www.tourism.gov.my/
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #105
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Here's Vancouver's elevated automated LRT, SkyTrain:
image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr






And the SkyTrain Canada Line, currently under construction:
image hosted on flickr










__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #106
haze
Registered User
 
haze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Klang Valley
Posts: 1,373
Likes (Received): 9

Scomi promotes monorail in India

NEW DELHI: Describing India as a primary market, Scomi Group Bhd is moving to promote its monorail systems to the growing Indian cities which are suffering from choking traffic.

Chief executive officer Shah Hakim Zain said plans were on track to promote the company's urban transportation systems that could help ease the movement of people in the Indian cities.

“We have identified five primary markets, including India, for which we are developing clear strategies to develop our business and promote our products. India holds huge opportunities for us in the urban transport business,” Shah told Bernama on the sidelines of the India Economic Summit being held here.

“We want to introduce buses that we manufacture and the monorail we have. Today there are 25 cities, with over five million people each, which are undergoing rapid urbanisation. They need transit systems and the monorail appears to be the most cost effective solution for them,” he said.

The group - whose core business is in the oil and gas sector - plans to break into the competitive Indian market via Scomi Transportation Systems Sdn Bhd and Scomi Rail Bhd (formerly known as MTrans Technology Bhd).

It is already holding talks with several states and relevant Indian authorities to promote its transportation models and last month expanded its regional office in Mumbai, India's financial hub, to scout for more business.

“We are of course looking at Mumbai, while the others include Pune, Bangalore, Chennai and New Delhi,” Shah said, adding that Scomi would promote its second-generation monorail system that was recently introduced in Kuala Lumpur.

“The product we built is a new one which focuses on better design, safety features and passenger comfort as well as cost effective solutions in terms of maintenance cost.

“And this is the product (second-generation monorail) which we believe is suitable for the subcontinent market,” said Shah.

He said with the rising oil prices, now hovering around US$90 per barrel, and traffic-choked Asian cities, many governments in the region were opting for monorail to supplement existing modes of transportation.

“Because of this we have received amazing reception from (Indian) state governments and town planners regarding our product,” he added.

Besides India, Scomi is also considering venturing into Bangladesh, Indonesia, Pakistan and Vietnam.

Bursa Malaysia main board-listed Scomi operates in 36 countries. – Bernama
__________________
Kuala Lumpur | كوالا لومڤور | 吉隆坡 | கோலாலம்பூர்

TRULY'ASIA'CAMPAIGN

UNDI UNTUK MALAYSIA

Cintai Bahasa & Budaya Kita
haze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #107
Electrify
Registered User
 
Electrify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Markham (Thornhill), Ontario
Posts: 1,684
Likes (Received): 5

K, please don't tell me this...



Is less or "about as" intrusive as this...



I'm not saying that Vancouver should have used monorails for its future rail lines, simply because elevated light rail may be cheaper and it is one of the few urban areas where the population is accepting of elevated rail, but some of the comments earlier of how monorail has been legislated out of business are just wack!

I've done more research on this subject than I should have, and it seems pretty much clear that light rail just does not have the speed to handle dense urban settings. I think some of light rail's enthusiasts like it so much is because even though it has higher capacities and is able to generate more dense developments than buses, it obstructs traffic more than a bus and is slower than buses as well. These people are living in a fantasy world where it is 1892, where everyone should live in small towns, and there are trams cruising along horse driven carriages. And the people who choose not to accept this "vision" can be stuck in traffic, though they will probably just avoid these areas and spend their money elsewhere. It becomes socialism at its laziest: instead of focusing on how to get the poor to their destination faster, it becomes about slowing down the rich.

Otherwise these people would not be so against monorail.

Monorail can carry just as many people as light, and even HEAVY rail and is less visually intrusive than elevated light rail. It also is able to maintain excellent speeds in urban areas, simply because it is grade separated and does not have to worry about speed limits or pedestrian traffic - unlike surface LRT, even in a dense area with its own ROW.

Yes, monorail does cost more than light rail. But it is also MUCH cheaper than a subway or a highway. With so many politicians whoring themselves out to wealthy voters, who many happen to own cars, these politicians may be more opt to spend hundreds of millions per mile on highways into the city rather than "transit for the poor". Ultimately, monorails make mass transit through dense urban areas (and even into the suburbs) affordable again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
You are genius too Electrify, never would have thought of this if not for your thread.

Last edited by Electrify; December 5th, 2007 at 03:38 AM.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #108
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Monorail can carry just as many people as light, and even HEAVY rail and is less visually intrusive than elevated light rail. It also is able to maintain excellent speeds in urban areas, simply because it is grade separated and does not have to worry about speed limits or pedestrian traffic - unlike surface LRT, even in a dense area with its own ROW.
I'd still prefer elevated light rail, afterall Vancouver has already built a network of it.

The new SkyTrain Canada Line costs an average of $80 million per km. It's 19 kms long - 10 kms is underground, 7 kms is elevated, and 2 kms is at-grade.

This is what they plan to do with the Canada Line elevated guideway street, and no it won't be as obtrusive if designed correctly (not to mention in the future, it'll be surrounded by a canyon of condo towers):






__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #109
nazrey
Registered User
 
nazrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 91,227
Likes (Received): 11224

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
Thank you for posting these images! I've searched the Scomi website for information about their new monorail design and have not found anything other than a news release. Based on the above images, I assume Scomi has a webpage on the monorail somewhere. Can you provide a link?
Scomi Monorail
Scomi Monorail Technical Brochure
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #110
greg_christine
Registered User
 
greg_christine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Smithfield, VA
Posts: 1,008
Likes (Received): 142

Forrestcat and Nazrey,

Thank you for the links!

- Greg V.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #111
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World
 
TRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,671
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
K, please don't tell me this...



Is less or "about as" intrusive as this...

You should check the column spacings there. The more frequent column spacing leaves a more noticeable "footprint" than the hulking mass of concrete, and would result in less "usability" of the space below than a generous column spacing. Yes, the hulking mass of concrete looks more imposing, but its size is not really any different yet the concrete one has fewer columns with a much farther spacing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
I've done more research on this subject than I should have, and it seems pretty much clear that light rail just does not have the speed to handle dense urban settings. I think some of light rail's enthusiasts like it so much is because even though it has higher capacities and is able to generate more dense developments than buses, it obstructs traffic more than a bus and is slower than buses as well. These people are living in a fantasy world where it is 1892, where everyone should live in small towns, and there are trams cruising along horse driven carriages. And the people who choose not to accept this "vision" can be stuck in traffic, though they will probably just avoid these areas and spend their money elsewhere. It becomes socialism at its laziest: instead of focusing on how to get the poor to their destination faster, it becomes about slowing down the rich.
LRT in mixed-traffic is ass. Most of the LRT-supporters prefer the ROW setup, but most of them will still not support the discontinuation of existing mixed-traffic LRTs. However, for your information, LRT in mixed traffic is in fact faster than a bus in mixed traffic along the same corridor. Anyone that has been on a streetcar corridor where service is supplemented by a bus for track construction or whatever can tell you, the streetcar is faster than the bus even in mixed traffic. So your argument of streetcars being slower than buses is a complete falsehood and nothing more than your imagination. For an understanding of "how", think about the fact that streetcars don't pull up to the curb all the time nor do they wait for traffic to let them into their lane after pulling up to the curb. Streetcars make traffic wait for them while the bus has to wait for traffic, this is how it works and why the streetcar is still superior in mixed traffic, especially on busy downtown routes. Are there are any E/W bus routes through downtown south of Bloor?... Except for the odd Richmond-Adelaide limited express bus, no, there aren't, they're all N/S, and there's a reason for this - they'd suck for the E/W runs, the streetcars are by far superior in these corridors.
The types of development that streetcars spur is also far more transit-oriented than a monorail's. For one, the stations are closer together, so more direct walk-on rides are available to the system since stations are not expensive for LRT. Second, LRT takes space away from the car, so cars are more inclined to use another route. This makes the corridor more pedestrian dominated in nature and more geared towards that demographic as development continues. THe end result could even become a dedicated pedestrian street - hasn't happened in Toronto, but I have seen this in various locations around downtown Gothenburg, Sweden, which has a great tram network (radial in nature and covers most of the city, even includes some of the suburbs). These are the kinds of communities people want - cars are not pleasant environments for livable streets, and monorails do not hinder the march of the auto - LRT does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
Otherwise these people would not be so against monorail.

Monorail can carry just as many people as light, and even HEAVY rail and is less visually intrusive than elevated light rail. It also is able to maintain excellent speeds in urban areas, simply because it is grade separated and does not have to worry about speed limits or pedestrian traffic - unlike surface LRT, even in a dense area with its own ROW.
If the monorail is designed to be of HRT capacity, that is a juggernaught of a monorail, its infrastructure is going to be enormous, and the vehices are going to stick out like a blimp. You obviously are not thinking your rant through here and are simply in some retaliative fit. Monorails may be faster than LRT, but that does not mean it is better - it is a different type of service, and it is a type of service that is not suitable for applications in downtowns with a builtform like downtown Toronto's - the streets are too narrow and the buildings are far too close to the sidewalk, this makes for an incompatible setting with monorail infrastructure, and there is no room for support structure anyway, nevermind the complaints that would be rightfully loud about how it would block sunlight from the street, another advantage to LRT (surface) is that it does not block sunlight, especially in an area where tall buildings are already casting plenty of shadow, a monorail would through such corridors into eternal darkness and totally kill life on such streets.

Have you thought about these kinds of things? NO, you clearly have not. Monorails are not appropriate for dense urban downtown transit-oriented developed neighborhoods/corridors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
Yes, monorail does cost more than light rail. But it is also MUCH cheaper than a subway or a highway. With so many politicians whoring themselves out to wealthy voters, who many happen to own cars, these politicians may be more opt to spend hundreds of millions per mile on highways into the city rather than "transit for the poor". Ultimately, monorails make mass transit through dense urban areas (and even into the suburbs) affordable again.
Into the suburbs, yeah, sure, that's a viable application for them. Not in dense urban cores though. Besides, politicians would only be in a position to pimp a monorail into an area that is considering adding a new mode to its network. Most cities that have networks already are far more interested in expanding with their existing modes and technologies insteading of taking on the expensive and risky experimentations with new modes. It's about being smart and working with what's already there and sticking with what you know. No point in delving into the unknown when you've got a good thing going.
__________________
Pssst... your balls are showing...

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #112
Electrify
Registered User
 
Electrify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Markham (Thornhill), Ontario
Posts: 1,684
Likes (Received): 5



Hong Kong: LRT/tram vs bus




Yes, I know the bus one is in fast forward, but towards the end of the video, it shows it overtake several light rail vehicles, despite them having their own right of way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
You are genius too Electrify, never would have thought of this if not for your thread.

Last edited by Electrify; December 5th, 2007 at 10:31 PM.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #113
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World
 
TRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,671
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post


Hong Kong: LRT/tram vs bus

Yes, I know the bus one is in fast forward, but towards the end of the video, it shows it overtake several light rail vehicles, despite them having their own right of way.
You're joking, right? You always manage to kill your own arguments when you try to present proof.

The first video: This shows a dramatic failure of the transit priority signaling concept. Half that video was spent sitting at a red light. The red light was exclusive for the streetcar while the road traffic got green. This was for giving left turn... or wait, reverse, right turners their special signal which involves crossing the tram tracks. Spadina suffers the same problem. It is a stupid setup. It is only because of this red light that 2 or 3 buses got to pass the streetcar. However, despite their being 2 or 3 buses, they were relatively bunched together, so it is the same as one bus. Your saying that because one bus can get ahead of a streetcar that is stuck at a red light, that the bus is faster? Share those drugs, dude!

As for the fast forward second video; this one is even sadder. NO TRAMS were overtaken during the day - all trams passed were in the opposite direction. And at night time, we see a classic example of the problem of bunching, but even better, an example of crazy bunching at a sharp corner. You say this is an example of how a bus can overtake several trams, but here, again, you are using an absurd example because all of these trams were at the exact same curve together and overtaken all 5 in a span of 3 seconds because they are taking a sharp corner, together (and they aren't coupled). This is doing nothing but hurting your argument, dramatically - those "several" streetcars are effectively the same as one streetcar due to bunching, and it was overtaken at a sharp corner, this is not "proof" as you proclaim. Maybe you should try using some practical evidence that shows the norm rather than obvious exceptions.
__________________
Pssst... your balls are showing...

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #114
busdriver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Likes (Received): 2

Not to mention the fact that the historic double decker tram network in Hong Kong is over 100 years old! Swiftness hasn't been its major selling point for a long long time!
busdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #115
xote
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,198
Likes (Received): 5

Monorails are a largely useless form of transit, with some notable exceptions such as Tokyo. But in general, wastes of money and space.
xote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #116
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World
 
TRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,671
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
Not to mention the fact that the historic double decker tram network in Hong Kong is over 100 years old! Swiftness hasn't been its major selling point for a long long time!
Some lines in Toronto are just as old, but some are much newer.
__________________
Pssst... your balls are showing...

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #117
nazrey
Registered User
 
nazrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 91,227
Likes (Received): 11224

Putrajaya Monorail (OnHold)
Putrajaya Monorail Suspension Bridge



Quote:




image hosted on flickr


Quote:
This map of the city's monorail alignment was provided by MTrans, the company that is building the Putrajaya Monorail. The second station below the Depot (blue dot) is the inter-modal station where passengers can transfer between high speed rail to the international airport or Kuala Lumpur, taxis or busses. The straight northeast-southwest line is the central corridor of the city. That corridor already has subway tunnels built for the monorail.





As of 2004, the Putrajaya inter-modal station was already in use, yet construction had been halted on the monorail as officials waited for the city to grow to a point where ridership would justify the system. A typical monsoon rain storm was in the area as Pedersen and Ice visited the site. On the next page, we'll take a look at the monorail station and first track of the Putrajaya Monorail.

Putrajay Monorail





(art rendering courtesy of Via Architecture)
Subway stations have a destinctive look and will shield escalators from the sun and rain.

nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #118
Vancouverite
Registered User
 
Vancouverite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 399
Likes (Received): 11

Interesting to see such a large-scale build-out of a monorail system. Any idea when it will actually go into service?

I think the difference between the rendering of the monorail bridge and the real thing is pretty funny. Take a look:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
Putrajaya Monorail Suspension Bridge



Also, is that carpet in the renders of the monorail "passenger saloon"? (bottom left paragraph)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
__________________
Vancouverite in SSC | SFUVancouver in SSP

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Athlete's Village | 1.4M sqft, LEED GOLD

Vancouver | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Vancouverite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #119
nazrey
Registered User
 
nazrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 91,227
Likes (Received): 11224

More Putrajaya Monorail Suspension Bridge

nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #120
nazrey
Registered User
 
nazrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 91,227
Likes (Received): 11224

Western Transport Terminal Presint 7

nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium