daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:19 AM   #121
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
The yields would have to be much higher to make that work. Right? I would say that Air Serbia is testing the market in the best possible configuration.
Right. A balance between revenues, comfort, and capacity is needed to see whether a 2-4-2 configuration would be best for Y class, especially that the A330 is actually designed for a 2-4-2 layout. I mean, a 3-3-3 is "feasible", but, as you said, it is like a cattle car.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:52 AM   #122
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

JU's seven year old YU-ARA A330.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juznjak 018 View Post
A330 ASL YU-ARA
FOTO; fejsbuk stranica Air Serbia

YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:55 AM   #123
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Meni se cini da sema izgleda mnogo bolje na A330 nego uskotrupne.

aleksandar_s liked this post
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #124
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7698

Second consecutive profit-making year for Air Serbia

The airline now carries more passengers than some regional rivals, such as Croatian Airlines, Romania's Tarom, Czech CSA, etc.

Quote:

In 2015, Air Serbia generates EUR 3,9 m - 2,55 million passengers transported in a year

Wednesday, 05/04/2016|12:36 | Source: eKapija

Thus the company in its second year of operations exceeded profit from previous year of EUR 2.7 m for 44%.

In 2015, Air Serbia generated total revenue of EUR 305 m, which is an increase of 16% compared to 2014, primarily as a result of significant growth in passenger numbers.

These results have been achieved, the airline communicated, due to growth in key operational indicators which comprise line network capacity as well as the number of flights which increased by 8% and at the end of the year it was 32,384.

In addition, growth of 11% was generated compared to previous year in the number of passengers, which in 2015 was 2.55 million, and capacity utilization for the transport of passengers (load factor) was increased, a measure which shows ratio of filled in comparison to total number of seats, which was in 2015 71 percentage points, compared to 67 percentage points in the previous year.

Code-share partnership in 2015 contributed with EUR 21.5 m as a result of development of the existing agreements and new cooperation with airlines.
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #125
mashine1984

Likes (Received): 3202

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
Second consecutive profit-making year for Air Serbia

The airline now carries more passengers than some regional rivals, such as Croatian Airlines, Romania's Tarom, Czech CSA, etc.
How about saying something about the government subsidies and the airline not paying a cent to Belgrade Airport until 01.01.2016?
In this conditions even TAROM would be profitable

x-type liked this post
mashine1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #126
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3605

that A330 is leased from Jet Airways of India
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:16 AM   #127
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Air Serbia should at least have double the pax Croatia Airlines have due to the local population.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #128
mashine1984

Likes (Received): 3202

The state to subsidize Air Serbia for another 12 months

Quote:
Serbia is going to provide financial aid to Air Serbia by the end of next year because, according to the restructure plan of this company, it is estimated the airline will be able to report income and operate without subsidies only after 2016. This is what the report of the Commission for Control of State Aid, released on the Ministry of Finance's website, says. The reporter was referred to this source by Siniša Mali, Belgrade Mayor and Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Air Serbia, at a press conference after the following question was asked: "Is Air Serbia able to report income even without state subsidies, since the company received €75 million in state aid last year?"
http://www.ninamedia.rs/en/clipping/...1-godinu-dana/
mashine1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #129
Nikola10

Likes (Received): 106

It old check the date! it reported on Ex-yu Aviation
Nikola10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #130
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7698

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Air Serbia should at least have double the pax Croatia Airlines have due to the local population.
Well, it will eventually, and more so, but it will take time, thats for sure.

Yet I wonder, why such a comment? It's like me saying - Croatian Airlines should have 7 times more passengers than Montenegro Airlines, based on population ratio, yet the difference is only three times in favour of CA.

Montenegro handled 600k passengers last year, CA about 1,8 million.

There's really many factors at play here and you cannot compare things based on population alone.

Average salaries, purchasing power & disposable income, etc, etc.

Zagreb - Split train barely exists, while the Belgrade-Bar railway sees about a million passengers each year.
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #131
noir-dresses
bling bling

Didn't know those figures, that makes them the best population to pax percentage then.

I think it also comes down to potential car options. The further south you go airlines are a better option for the diaspora because of the driving distance.

Just last Friday I was driving back to Zagreb down the Slavonia highway. It was full of cars driving back to Serbia, and Bosnia due to the Easter holiday.
Old May 9th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #132
aleksandar_s
ETOPS-9000 certified

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Croatia Airlines should have at least five times the passengers of Air Serbia considering how much tourism Croatia receives and the greater standard of living in Croatia.
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #133
noir-dresses
bling bling

The vast majoring of tourists that come to Croatia come by car even though pax numbers are up every year evenly spread out throughout multiple destinations, and airlines.
Old May 10th, 2016, 06:08 AM   #134
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel2897 View Post
that A330 is leased from Jet Airways of India
Yup. In the 1970s JU purchased some old B707s from PIA as a temporary solution. Later on, they got brand new DC10s. So quite a few starter airplanes from that part of the World.
Old May 10th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #135
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandar_s View Post
Croatia Airlines should have at least five times the passengers of Air Serbia considering how much tourism Croatia receives and the greater standard of living in Croatia.
I see JU as much bigger airline offering much better service on board. Besides that, the Emirati are willing to invest. On the flipside, Germany is controlling Croatia Airlines. Than again, the countries from the western EU have terrible reputation in this part of World. I also think that JU has a professional management team where OU's management is politically appointed.
Old May 10th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #136
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
I see JU as much bigger airline offering much better service on board. Besides that, the Emirati are willing to invest. On the flipside, Germany is controlling Croatia Airlines. Than again, the countries from the western EU have terrible reputation in this part of World. I also think that JU has a professional management team where OU's management is politically appointed.
I flew from Abu Dhabi via Belgrade to Zagreb a few month's ago, and I can say Air Serbia having a better service is debatable. Just like many other airlines it lacks consistency.

For example the flight from Abu Dhabi to Belgrade was good, and I really liked the friendly service/food, but it was still not up to Etihad standards. Would I fly Air Serbia again yes because the crew were so nice. I'm sure once Air Serbia get their new NEO's custom made for them straight out of the factory the offering will be much better. For example IFE.

Now this is where it's debatable, and where I think Air Serbia lacks behind Croatia Airlines, and where they really have a lot of room to be better. The flight from Belgrade to Zagreb was on an old run down ATR-72 which was old, run down, very noisy, and not very impressive. I still like CA's regional props more then JU.

Bad part of this story is when I talked to any, or all the employee's in Air Serbia no body was really happy with their contracts. They all said Etihad got the better part of the deal, and that their contracts are in their words katastrofa. I also realized that there are two flight from Abu Dhabi to Belgrade a day where Etihad has a high load factor, and Air Serbia a very low load factor. Add to that Etihad are not really paying the airport fee's so one really has to ask what do the Serb's really get out of this except a better run airline?

I hope CA learn from Air Serbia's mistake, and never sell their souls to investment bankers, but from what I'm hearing Turkish Airlines are showing a strong interest in a minority stake so we might be in for the same unfortunately.

Good side to our story is Zagreb will finally get a new long over due presentable airport.

Any way congrats to you guys with trans Atlantic flights coming back. I use to fly Jat trans Atlantic back in the day with the 707's, and DC-10's out of YYZ. It's a part of my childhood memories.

mashine1984 liked this post
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:10 AM   #137
aleksandar_s
ETOPS-9000 certified

Quote:
so one really has to ask what do the Serb's really get out of this except a better run airline?
Oh how easily people forget.

In the time right before the Etihad takeover was agreed upon, Jat had months or maybe even weeks left before the airline would have to be shut down. The airline was losing tens of millions of euros per year and had absolutely nothing to show for it.

And every single possible solution to Jat's misery was considered. The GoS begged many potential partners to step it and solve the issue. Nobody, not even Aeroflot, was willing to step in.

So in other words, the value of Jat was nothing and nobody wanted it. The airline was going down the drain and a solution had to be found ASAP or else the airline would be liquidated.

So that was the situation before the deal was reached. Now what did Serbia gain from the deal?

-Assured the survival of domestic civil aviation jobs

-A completely refreshed and restructured airline with new fleet and destinations.

-The airline added a million new passengers to its size and thus becomes the largest airline in the ex-yu region

-Became a small hub in this region. Evidence of this is your own use of BEG as a transfer hub from AUH to ZAG.

-Etihad used their influence to solve Jat's 1998 Airbus order, which Airbus threatened to take the government to court over. Airbus was not going to simply forget about this.

-And the crown achievement of this deal will soon be the return of the Serbian flag carrier to the transatlantic market. If someone told me in early 2013 that in less than four years Jat would be flying transatlantic, I would have laughed. At that time, Jat couldn't even keep the planes they already owned in flying condition.

And if you read the terms of the agreement, you will notice the best part of this deal. The best part is that it cost the GoS very little cash. Most of the investment that the Serbian side provided was through various discounts.

And Air Serbia is one of the few successful parts of the Serbian economy recently because the airline has a revenue of over 300 million euros and that will only grow once longhaul is started and once Kiev, St. Petersburg, Hamburg, and Ohrid start.

And the indirect benefits of Air Serbia are even greater. It provides for thousands of jobs directly and indirectly, and makes Serbia much more accessible.
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:29 AM   #138
noir-dresses
bling bling

Well I didn't know it was that bad before Etihad bought in.
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #139
aleksandar_s
ETOPS-9000 certified

yeah it was pretty bad. A lot of the 733s were grounded and they had to sign a lease for some junk Bulgarian 733s because nobody else would lease them anything at that time but Jat had no other option than to lease planes to cover their schedule.

Unrelated, but Air Serbia just released this nice video:
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:10 PM   #140
Cani
Browarnik Tomek

Likes (Received): 532

a And where are the winglets? What happened to them?

Tags
european airlines, serbia