daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #201
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1295

i do not have the power to ban members. and jan has been in contact with me about this issue. here's what you need to do, along with the rest of us:

1. don't post anything from the dude's website ever again.
2. don't respond to or acknowledge him in any way, shape, or form.

i don't care how unproffessional you think his messages were or how offended you were by them, we just need to collectively decide to ignore the dude from here until the end of time. if we all follow these two extremely simple rules, then he'll go away. it's just that easy.

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #202
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

Steely Dan, I got the same message as TUP and other Chicago forummers. This dude is .....SPAMMING..... Is there a regulation against spamming in this forum?

Starting today, I will no longer surf into that dude's website.

Last edited by Chi_Coruscant; August 11th, 2005 at 12:07 AM.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #203
Chicago Shawn

Grand Kingsbury

I went by the grand kingsbury site today, and there were some construction mangers talking with the developers at the site, and I was able to find out that this project is indeed moving forward. Foundation work will begin next month. Also, the building will be SUPRISE, 47 stories! I then went to city hall and picked up the planned development as well as a Interim Stage Part II Project Summary which lists the total units at 420, total parking places at 435, and varified the floor count at 47. Thier is no height figure listed on the PD or an elevation. The tower will include a landscaped riverwalk as well as improve the existing riverwalk along the East Bank Club. I also found out that this site and the East Bank Club was part of Planned Development number 106, which was originally proposed in 1973 to include up to 1,749 residential units, 800 parking spaces and the health club spread across 5.86 acres purchased from the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad.

Aristocrat Tower

Aristocrat Tower is 25 stories and is located at 21st and Prairie. I got a height figure of 270 feet from the sales center, but it was just printed on a document at the front desk, so I have no idea if it has been rounded or where exactley it was taken from. The tower is part of a new development called "Prairie Station", which at this time also includes the renovation of a 8 story industrial building at 21st and Calumet called Chess Lofts, named after the Chess Recording Studio that once occupied the building. There are plans for hotel space, a multiplex theater and more condos for the block bounded by 21st on the north, Prairie on the west, Calumet on the east, and Cermak on the south. The sales center will have an open hose and party on the 24th next week, which will have the architect Bill Warman on hand and hopefully the blueprints as well. They have a web site at www.prairiestation.com.

A rendering...

There was also a public notice that I spotted in the 1600 Block of South Prairie Avenue, stating that it will be a high-rise with 264 residential units. This could be a revised version of the Prairie District Tower II.

The boom shall go on...
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #204
Chi_Coruscant

Good work, Shawn!
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #205
NWside

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Grand Kingsbury

I then went to city hall and picked up the planned development as well as a Interim Stage Part II Project Summary which lists the total units at 420, total parking places at 435, and varified the floor count at 47.
May I have a TUP moment and ask why so many parking spaces? Extra parking for the East Bank Club or are these apartments or condos? Sounds like another tower with a huge 10 floor garage and a Walgreens/Verizon on the first floor.
NWside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #206
Chicago Shawn

Its a rental apartment tower, and it will have ground floor retail space, part of which will be occupied by a internet cafe. Also I forgot to mention, those nasty diagnol parking spaces on Kinsbury Street will be going bye-bye. The extra 15 spaces in the tower is probably replacement parking for spaces lost on the street.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #207
ChicagoLover

Man! 47 stories and no rendering! Is that because its an apartment tower? I suppose it is -- they don't really need a big marketing operation. Still, this is killing me.

I"m glad to hear developments along Prairie are continuing southward. Is this news of the Aristocrat hitting us completely out of the blue? The tower isn't on Steely Dan's authoritative list. Was the name changed?
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #208
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Its a rental apartment tower, and it will have ground floor retail space, part of which will be occupied by a internet cafe. Also I forgot to mention, those nasty diagnol parking spaces on Kinsbury Street will be going bye-bye. The extra 15 spaces in the tower is probably replacement parking for spaces lost on the street.
^This sounds great, thanks Shawn!

My only concern is that this doesn't have the typical (and overplayed) tower on a podium look. If so, please don't look like the other River North garbage!

The ground level retail is refreshing--I have long felt that Kingsbury Park has needed some retail to spruce up the area.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:54 AM   #209
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

I've been meaning to post something about Grand Kingsbury. The building is some where around 493' or 497' I can't remember. I know it is right about that high though. I think most will be happy with the design of this building. It is not just some plain concrete block at all.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #210
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Sounds good to me.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #211
spyguy
Expert

Hilton agrees to sell Palmer House for $230M

The Hilton Hotels Corp. said on Wednesday it agreed to sell the Palmer House Hilton, a historic property in Chicago's Loop, to Thor Equities for $230 million.

Hilton said it would continue to operate the hotel as a Hilton under what it characterized as "a long-term management contract."

Thor, a real-estate development company that specializes in urban projects, said it would spend another $100 million to renovate the Palmer House, which was built in 1873 and purchased by Conrad Hilton in 1945.
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #212
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 879

Okay, yeah well, as most of you know, I am supposed to be out of town, but I had to come back just for a day to take care of some school business. So I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone, and I attended todays plan commission meeting.

A proposed Residential Business Planned Development submitted by 1401 State LLC for the property commonly known as 1401 South State Street. The applicant has proposed the construction of a residential building containing 278 dwelling units and 195 parking spaces with minimal ground floor retail. (2nd Ward)

A proposed amendment to Residential Business Planned Development No. 499 submitted by Central Station, LLC for the property commonly known as 1337-1355 South Michigan. The applicant has proposed the construction of a 32-story residential building containing commercial/retail at its base and 260 dwelling units and accessory parking. (2nd Ward)
Also known as 1400 Museum Park

This building will rise to a height of 344' 6"

I'll be heading back to Michigan tomorrow, and i'll talk with you guys next week.

Oh, by the way, both of these projects were approved.....
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #213
spyguy
Expert

Nice. Enjoy your trip.
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #214
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

I REALLY like the Central Station tower... and I really WANT to like the one on State, but, I'm not sure about that random box truss they decided to suspend on it? I guess I won't make any final judgements until we find out if it actually serves any purpose.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #215
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ The one on State is a fresh change.

AFter the boring dullness of the University Center, Library Tower, State Place, and Vision on State, it will be nice to see something a bit glass and steel-y.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #216
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

The entire 19-story Vision on State will be set up for Wi-Fi, or wireless Internet. Residents will be able to access the Internet from their laptop computers wherever they are inside the building at State and 13th streets, according to Michael Golden, co-founder of @properties, the broker.

"The building is set up to be very tech user-friendly," Golden said. "Everyone in the building will have wireless access when they move in. We set them up with a wireless card for their computer and part of their assessment pays for the service."

The 253-unit building will have 1- and 2-bedroom units ranging from about $185,900 to $288,900. Sizes are 610 to 990 square feet. Parking spaces are $30,000 each.

"This is a first-time buyer market," Golden said. "They are generally a younger marketplace. That generation is very tech savvy. They use the Internet and they are more mobile."

First-time buyers are "very price sensitive," he said. "So we thought that it would be a very timely amenity to have."

Each unit also will have its own designated computer work station, Golden said.

"Even though the units are already very efficient, we have worked in tech centers -- areas where people can build in a desk and have a work center in a little nook. In the smaller ones, it would be a little inset area for a 5- or 6-foot desk. Then for the larger ones, you have a little den space itself, a 7-by-8-foot space."

The areas will have an electrical outlet as well as jacks for telephone and cable connections for wired computer systems. For more information, call @properties at (312) 491-0200.

A 42-inch plasma television is something that most new condominium buyers might wish for someday. At the new Printers Corner, in the South Loop, it comes as a standard from Day One, according to Cyndy Salgado, regional vice president for Garrison Partners.

"We will install them, per the customer's request, either mounted on the wall or on a stand, if they want to move it around or take it with them when they leave," Salgado said. "They look great in condominiums where you have more limited space. They are easier to decorate with than projection TVs."

The units range from about 743 to 2,290 square feet and are priced from the $230,000s to $776,000. They have 1 to 3 baths, balconies, and some have dens. Parking spaces start at $32,000. Each of the units also will have its own tech center with a high-speed data line for a computer, phone and TV.

"So even the 1-bedroom home will have a tech center," she said. "By designing these floor plans around the inclusion of a plasma screen TV and a central tech center, we are able to free up an extra space for other uses."

The office center includes a counter with data and power lines below, plus shelving for supplies and books, she said. The sales center is at 47 W. Polk, call (312) 880-1800.

The single-family homes at Geneva Terrace Estates, in Lincoln Park, are being built to show just what technology is possible now, but with the capacity to expand into the future, explained broker Danny Glick, of Rubloff Residential Properties.

The 22-unit enclave, west of Clark Street at Schubert, is being built by developer Stuart Rose. The four-level designs range from about 5,200 to 7,400 square feet and are priced from $2.3 to $3.5 million.

"There are 100 miles of wiring behind the walls having to do with everything from audio, video, data, phone, cable and Internet," Glick said. "There is more wiring than anyone will fathom what to do with. The capacity of the house depends on how the buyers choose to outfit it."

As technology or needs change, the house should be able to accommodate them, he said.

"We photograph extensively in all of the walls before the dry wall goes," Glick said. "So we know where every speaker, cable and wire is. So, three years from now, if you want speakers in the laundry room, we can come in and put the hole exactly where it needs to go."

A closet in the basement will include all of the Smarthouse electronics used to control the communications, entertainment, environ- ment and security, he said. It will also store all of the CDs, DVDs and tapes and play them to any or all rooms when desired.

The front door will not only have a video camera for security, but there can be a pad installed that "reads" the fingerprint of the owner or anyone else. But it can do more than just open the door.

"You can program the house so that when you enter, your favorite CD plays and the lights come on and doors open or close," Glick said.

A cleaning person, for example, could be given fingerprint access to the front door, but be locked out of certain rooms, such as the wine cellar, he said.

"If Federal Express makes a delivery, you can have the doorbell programmed to your cell phone," Glick said. "They ring the doorbell, it rings the phone, and a video camera on your computer tells you who's there. You can buzz someone in from Boston or Bangladesh."

The $3.5 million house currently being completed has a third-floor home theater with a 7-foot screen that drops down out of the ceiling, a retractable overhead projector and 8 or 10 speakers. It includes a wet bar and an adjoining roof deck.

The house is set up for wireless networking, so those laptop computers will work anywhere.

There is a central vacuum system that allows cleaning hoses to be plugged into the walls when needed and then removed. But, the latest innovations in cleaning, he said, are "vac pans," little openings at floor level that can be turned on with a foot switch, so that crumbs and debris can just be swept into them without stooping.

All of the stone and tile floors are radiantly heated with hot liquid that runs through or under them, including the shower floors. The warmth extends into the garage and onto the front stairs, which are warmed by heated antifreeze activated by controls on the roof.

The 7-bedroom house has 51/2 baths, a 38-foot-wide lot, 1,000 square feet of deck and a 3-car garage. For information on this house or others, call (312) 368-5300.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:04 PM   #217
spyguy
Expert

"Insider Info" - New Construction

COOK COUNTY

Chicago--Central Station residential tower, 1337-1355 S. Michigan Ave., 260-unit residential tower, March 2006, $30 million.

Chicago--North Broadway apartments, 4400 N. Broadway, 78-unit apartment building, October 2005, $6 million.

Chicago--La Salle office tower, 29 S. La Salle St., 50-story office tower, May 2006, $17 million.

------------
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:37 AM   #218
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 879

Posted by Steely Dan in the Skyscraperpage forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
well, it looks i'm the person that's gonna win those covetted bonus points as i did a little on-line sluething this evening and found a rendering for the grand kingsbury project, along with a website that has some pretty good detailed info on the development. so another million skyscraperpage bonus points will be awarded to the first individual that can track down a height figure for this project.

here's the website:

http://hfflp.com/documents/1798/gran...bury_flyer.pdf

and here's the rendering of the grand kingsbury:

is it just me, or does this look like another SCB tower?

EDIT:
looking through the site further, i now see that SCB is indeed the architecture firm for this project. they're getting mighty predictable. i guess on the plus side, at least they're not predictably bad, this is still a pretty nice looking residential tower.

the rendering has now been added to the list on page 1.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:47 AM   #219
spyguy
Expert

A nice treat indeed.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:06 AM   #220
Chicago Shawn

The Walgreens at State and Randolph (MoMo site) will close for good on Friday the 26th. It had been in business at that site for 79 years.

September is going to be a great month!