daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #281
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

Great work, BVictor! That's a nice looking building for the location of Harrison/Wells.

Can't wait for your result on 600 N Fairbanks. With Jahn on hand, I am sure the sales will take off.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #282
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

not bad , very interesting design it might look realy nice its hard to tell
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #283
ChicagoLover

Wow.. this one seemed to sneek up on me.. I have never heard of it. I like what I see though. BVictor, do you know the precise location of this thing? Southeast corner of Harrison and Wells perhaps? Its hard to tell exactly from the website. I suppose this is replacing a vacant lot / parking lot?
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #284
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

Nice pics, BVictor!

The tower has a nice and very modern and I like the outdoor terrace and I think the base meets the street quite well.
Although the overall building is quite bulky looking from the East face, and will anything be covering up the blank wall? a connecting building?

Old September 30th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #285
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

There's a parking lot currently on the site, and yes, it's at the southeast corner of Harriosn and Wells.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:45 AM   #286
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Here's a much better rendering of Vetro that I was able to scan...

Old October 1st, 2005, 05:59 AM   #287
itsnotrequired

^That rendering makes it look a lot nicer. Those barren faces are pretty bland but the ground-level retail and trees will make up for it. They should really do something to break it up though. Some horizontal accent lines or ivy or something.
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:09 AM   #288
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

The person on the balcony is about to jump! Somebody stop him!

Looks better.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:52 PM   #289
Chi_Coruscant

Tidbits from Saturday's Chi Tribune's Homes Section:

-Marquee Michigan Ave (1454 S Mich): Sales soared more than 100 units in one month. It passed 50% mark.

-550 St. Clair in Streeterville: 60% of units are sold out. Construction starts on 2006 witih first move-ins planned in 2007.
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:27 PM   #290
spyguy
Expert

-----
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM   #291
spyguy
Expert

That's good news. I wonder how 535 St. Clair is doing, since I liked that design a lot.
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:03 PM   #292
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
That's good news. I wonder how 535 St. Clair is doing, since I liked that design a lot.
They haven't started marketing that building yet. It still has to come befoe the plan commission. It was supposed to go before the commission in September, but it was defered until this month.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:13 AM   #293
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

accualy i think i liked the model better
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:21 PM   #294
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant
Tidbits from Saturday's Chi Tribune's Homes Section:

-Marquee Michigan Ave (1454 S Mich): Sales soared more than 100 units in one month. It passed 50% mark.

-550 St. Clair in Streeterville: 60% of units are sold out. Construction starts on 2006 witih first move-ins planned in 2007.
^Thanks, Chi. All good news
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:45 AM   #295
spyguy
Expert

Loyola's new museum fills need for neutrality

By Alan G. Artner

Published October 2, 2005

This week the Loyola University Museum of Art will open on North Michigan Avenue, and because it is dedicated to "the spiritual in art" and next year will have an exhibition on the Dalai Lama, my fancy is that this small new art museum is a Buddhist reincarnation of the late, lamented Terra Museum of American Art.

Given the essential differences, the notion cannot be carried far. But there the place is on the Magnificent Mile, its specialized mission will be carried out in a building of the sort that Daniel J. Terra described as a "vertical museum," and as the Terra used art as an advertisement for American ideals, LUMA will use art to examine religious, intellectual and cultural concerns beyond the aesthetic.

So while natural comparisons might be with other Chicago-area museums attached to teaching institutions, such as the Smart or Block, the one that fits best in terms of a desire to attract the largest possible audience with offerings in which subject matter will be as important as the art is the old Terra.

Reincarnation is the soul coming back in another body. Let's see how.

LUMA is in a three-story building facing the park that surrounds the Water Tower. It used to house a student bookstore and university offices. The style of the exterior is Gothic Revival, and there was talk about doing the interior in Gothic or its 1920s revival. Ultimately, however, the choice was to create as neutral a space as possible, and that is what the Chicago firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz has done.

Touring the museum

The first floor is primarily an entryway: Visitors will pass a contemporary announcement board for exhibitions and a register of donors on the way to an elevator, stairs or door to the university proper. The art on view will be five small leaded-glass windows in which Chicago-based artists have symbolized Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Hinduism. These permanent pieces will be installed in January.

On the floor above, an admissions desk and small shop precede the galleries, some of which are for temporary shows, others for the Martin D'Arcy Collection of Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque art, which will be installed next April. The ceilings here are about 13 1/2 feet high, and the floors are of blond wood. Most of the rooms are rectangles. A few have rounded, load-bearing columns; the largest space also has a prominent staircase -- as the Terra did -- that leads to more galleries on the third floor.

There the ceiling height drops to about 9 1/2 feet, making the spaces better suited to smaller works. Included on this floor are a small library, workshop and lecture hall plus a corridor gallery -- like one on the second floor, devoted to works on paper -- for student art. The total space given to exhibition throughout the building is 22,000 square feet. All of it is unadorned, in the contemporary manner, though because most of the rooms are scaled to easel paintings there is a feeling of intimacy that becomes casual in the corridor galleries.

The opening shows are: "Caravaggio: Una Mostra Impossibile (An Impossible Exhibition)" in the main galleries; 17th Century etchings after Rubens on the life of St. Ignatius de Loyola in the corridor of works on paper; and pieces by winners of student art competitions at two grammar schools, one parochial, one public.

The Caravaggio is an oddity insofar as it holds only digital reproductions of the best-known paintings by the great 16th Century artist. Most of the 69 pieces are installed on light boxes in darkened rooms at the museum, but some proved so big that they have gone out to 10 other locations including the Chicago Cultural Center and Holy Name Cathedral.

Like art history class

Pamela Ambrose, Loyola's director of cultural affairs, said the reproductions fulfill an educational mission that, she hopes, will lead viewers to the originals, which of course are scattered in collections around the world, making a show of them "impossible." The effect of seeing reproductions in the actual size of the paintings is like attending an art history class that has slides color-corrected by scholars. However, a number of large pieces are made up of several segments in frames that interrupt the composition, and unless the light in each box is "tuned" properly there will be a flicker that further damages the illusion.

Withal, Ambrose has made the most of them, setting the reproductions in warmly colored rooms with walls that range from gold to lemon yellow. She has adopted a reverse chronology, presenting the latest works first and proceeding back to the artist's beginnings. This has the advantage of arresting viewers immediately, with some of the most daring works. It also risks letdown as viewers move further away from the artist painting at full strength.

RAI (Radiotelevisione Italiana) supplied the reproductions from its vast archive. A show devoted to Giotto is said to be in the works. I would not cross the street to see it. On the other hand, I once was told by a restorer of paintings for the Louvre that if audiences knew how little of the artist's hand remained in famous works after centuries of conservation, they wouldn't want to see them either. Here, at least, you know what you're in for, and anyone a stranger to a darkened classroom with slides flashing may find the experience congenial.

At its best, a new small museum will provide exhibitions no existing institution in town would do, and that certainly applies at present. But smallness also allows for a homey kind of connection with an audience that larger museums can't have, and that has to develop. The Terra had it upon opening in Evanston, yet it never quite happened downtown. Perhaps LUMA, which has the right intentions and physical plant, will manage it better.

- - -

The Loyola University Museum of Art, 820 N. Michigan Ave., will open Saturday with "Caravaggio: Una Mostra Impossibile (An Impossible Exhibition)," which will continue through Feb. 11, 2006. 312-915-7600.
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #296
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Well I have a bit of information on several projects.

-As Citizen reported above, the contents of The Columbian sales center is being packed up. I drove past, and floor plans have been removed from the walls and other things are being removed.

-Caisson work for Vision On State hasn't begun yet as Dan reported, but I did get a chance to talk with one of the construction workers, and he said that caisson work will begin within the next 2-3 weeks.

-The Shoreham II is now being called The Tides, and that construction on that will probably begin within the next month or so. There isn't to much information on the Gang Tower yet. They said that marketing will begin sometime next spring of '06' and that it will have retail, rental and condos. Condo units will begin on the 40th floor. The Chandler units are 75% under-contract and construction will begin before the end of the year.

-Astoria Tower is about 50% sold, not reserved, but units under contract. Construction will start sometime in March hopefully. Here's a half-way decent rendering of Astoria Tower.
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:45 AM   #297
spyguy
Expert

Astoria looks a lot more lighter in color, fatter, and simplified than before.

Here's another rendering of Burnham Pointe:

Old October 4th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #298
Chi_Coruscant

Good work on Astoria and Tides!
A park on top of shorter structure is a major plus for Astoria.
Astoria looks fatter; maybe it was a photo dimension that did the trick.
Hope few other vacant lots shown in that pix will disappear soon.
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #299
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^Thanks for all the info, guys.

My favorite thing about Astoria is the novel way it deals with having such a huge parking garage. Residential units still front the street at all levels, including the garage levels. I wish more buildings would employ this design.

This and Vision on State--south State Street is developing quite a streetwall, isn't it?

Can someone remind me where Burnham Pointe is and what kind of timeline we're looking at?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #300
ChicagoLover

^ Astoria looks to be decent, although I wish it was a dark reddish color as on the website. Chicago certainly has enough quasi-beige towers. Now I'm wondering.. I am a bit confused about what the Astoria Tower development includes, given that I see that low-rise with the green top. Is this development going to be similar to State Place, with both high-rise and mid-rise portions which were made to appear as multiple buildings? I think that's a really good idea. Breaking up the massing makes the development appear more "natural" in a sense, rather than "all of a piece".. fitting it into a neighborhood in which many of the older buildings have smaller footprints.

How far north along State is Astoria going to run? Is there still going to be a parking lot between it and that black undulating glass tower at the end of Polk? (1 east 8th I think they're turning it into student housing or something?) Or is that entire "hole" in the streetwall going to be filled in? Its interesting how the developments are working their way south, and north, gradually plugging the holes. There's still a *huge* surface parking lot across from Jones College Prep, no? Is there anything proposed for that site?
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote