daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #421
dvidler

Likes (Received): 0

Well, yes. But according to an article a long time ago it stated that Buddy Guys would move one block north on Wabash.
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #422
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler
Well, yes. But according to an article a long time ago it stated that Buddy Guys would move one block north on Wabash.
I thought it was taboo to question the destruction of any structure that would get in the way of development?

Certain places around downtown should be saved, Im not sure that the building that houses buddy guy should, but I dont think it that all small low rise old buildings in that area should be razed, in that you will destroy the feel of the neigborhood, Some development is good, and there are still alot of parking lots and parking structures that can come down!

Im not trying to say hold chicago back, but letting developers have free reign is also bad.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #423
dvidler

I agree with you however I feel this is a good thing for the neighborhood. To establish the area with an identity is always the best step toward creating a neighborhood. Right now the south loop doesnt really have an identity. Columbia College can create this in making the area a true college community. Plus the existing Buddy Guys building isnt much to look at, and I know since I live right across from it. '

I am all for this as long as Buddy Guys doesnt leave the area.
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #424
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong
I thought it was taboo to question the destruction of any structure that would get in the way of development?

Certain places around downtown should be saved, Im not sure that the building that houses buddy guy should, but I dont think it that all small low rise old buildings in that area should be razed, in that you will destroy the feel of the neigborhood, Some development is good, and there are still alot of parking lots and parking structures that can come down!
^ Dude, why don't you just come out and say it--you just don't like anything new

The "feel" of that area is friggin parking lots, vacant lots, and garages

Maybe you should get on your own 2 feet and actually WALK the area around Buddy Guys. Nobody is tearing down an historic structure for this planned building. Oh, and if you look towards the northeast corner of Wabash and Balbo, there is a 10 story building planned on a vacant lot that is supposed to house the new Buddy Guy's after it moves. Nobody has ever posted pics of it yet, but I have discussed it with Victor so perhaps the rendering will make its appearance on the forums sometime

Walking around the south loop I see a lot of potential for development, and whatever is already there is usually a mid-to highrise building, so 14-stories is nowhere near to being out of scale.

Seriously, Wong, you need to just stop whining about "character" as if it's an endangered species--you're sounding more and more like one of those anti-everything NIMBY's
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #425
dvidler

Urban,

If its possible please do share those renderings.

True, right now this area is full of parking lots, etc but that will hopefully be different in the next 5-6 years. Along with the residential projects springing up we have the YMCA headquarters at State & Harrison, the retail development along Roosevelt, plus the true highlight of this article is the land Columbia will be selling south of Roosevelt along Wabash. This could really change Wabash. I dont know what property they own but if its significant there could be a tremedous amount of activity along that street in the years to come.
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #426
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^ Dude, why don't you just come out and say it--you just don't like anything new

The "feel" of that area is friggin parking lots, vacant lots, and garages

Maybe you should get on your own 2 feet and actually WALK the area around Buddy Guys. Nobody is tearing down an historic structure for this planned building. Oh, and if you look towards the northeast corner of Wabash and Balbo, there is a 10 story building planned on a vacant lot that is supposed to house the new Buddy Guy's after it moves. Nobody has ever posted pics of it yet, but I have discussed it with Victor so perhaps the rendering will make its appearance on the forums sometime

Walking around the south loop I see a lot of potential for development, and whatever is already there is usually a mid-to highrise building, so 14-stories is nowhere near to being out of scale.

Seriously, Wong, you need to just stop whining about "character" as if it's an endangered species--you're sounding more and more like one of those anti-everything NIMBY's

Im not anti-everything if you would READ all of my posts, I think you just take offence if someone questions a development, hey did I ever say that getting rid of parking lots was bad? Part of what is cool about Buddy guys is it isnt new, and its old and has character. What is wrong with questioning the destruction of character? Hey I have walked around there, with my own two feet, I went there just a month ago, and I think its a cool area, sure it needs some development too. Im just questioning the destruction of buddy guys current location, sure from a money perspective it makes sense, ofcourse! I just think some of the old chicago should make it through this development.

I dont want everything to suffocated under the "blankets of gentrification" is all. And I aint whining, you know we cant tell the tone that we take here, its definitely not sniveling, , did I take offense to the height, nope, totally fine, I dont care about traffic, cuz its the CITY. I just question character, it will be weird to go to buddy guys when its in a brand new building, wont it?

I do think that it can become an endangered species if we arent careful. I guess im sentimental and I want a balance of old and new, not just all new.

I just had never used the llama before, YEAH!
No its not a landmark building, so its not that big a deal to raze it, but it sure wont be the same without it . I would rather have the adelphi theatre on clark in rogers park saved.
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #427
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

mohammed i agree on some of your points . it def. wouldent be the same buddie guys. it will feel like its missing its heart and soal. its not a landmark building or even a pareticularly good looking one but the heart and soal of chicago is in that place.its a ratty run down peice of shit but its our peice of shit. in a simulare way that marshal feilds was a peice of chicagos history and charachter ,so is buddie guys. and truth be told there are plenty of parking lots in the area that can be used for developments like these .
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #428
NWside

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong
No its not a landmark building, so its not that big a deal to raze it, but it sure wont be the same without it . I would rather have the adelphi theatre on clark in rogers park saved.
Are they actually considering tearing down the Adelphi? Where did you hear this?
NWside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #429
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWside
Are they actually considering tearing down the Adelphi? Where did you hear this?

Broken heart of rogers park blog,
check out the adelphi theater's website also you could probably find it by googling it, you will have to scroll down a bit but you will find that they discussed the adelphi about a month ago on the broken heart blog,
and you will find the hideous contraption that is supposedly a building that they want to put there .

Great website to keep up with all things rogers park, or anything that ticks of craig, and anything pertaining to the suckee alderman joe moore,
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #430
NWside

Likes (Received): 2

Well it's certainly unfortunate that Chicago loses another theater, ironically it still reads "opening soon" on the marquee of the Adelphi....

Here's the rendering of the 5 story development....

http://morsehellhole.blogspot.com/20...i-theatre.html
NWside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #431
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWside
Well it's certainly unfortunate that Chicago loses another theater, ironically it still reads "opening soon" on the marquee of the Adelphi....

Here's the rendering of the 5 story development....

http://morsehellhole.blogspot.com/20...i-theatre.html

I dont think its totally for sure yet. But that replacement builiding is ******* heinous! the first floor should be taller than the others ( I think that alot of the time commercial space is better served with more room and higher ceilings), and with better windows, that design is so blandsville. is it asking too much for a better design? it doesnt have to be landmark, but this is a just a vision of greed, and lets throw up the building with the most money making properties and hey I dont have to look at it afterwards.

But the people in the neigborhood will have to walk by that monstrosity, I dont care about its height, hell it could be twenty stories tall for all I care, how about that it just doesnt look like feces? I sure as hell wouldnt want to live in that buidling. THis "architect" and "developer" should be horsewhipped.
Old November 9th, 2005, 05:03 AM   #432
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

November 08, 2005 09:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

Conrad(R) Hotels Announces Its Entry into the Chicago Market; Hotel on Chicago's Famed Magnificent Mile to Be Extensively Repositioned

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 8, 2005--Conrad Hotels, the luxury brand of the Hilton Family of Hotels, has announced it will assume management and repositioning of an existing hotel at one of Chicago's most prestigious addresses on Rush Street overlooking Michigan Avenue.

The 311-room Conrad Chicago, previously a Le Meridien hotel, has been purchased by an investment group led by Chicago-based Lodging Capital Partners, LLC., which has signed an agreement with Conrad Hotels to operate and manage the hotel.

Plans for a complete repositioning of the hotel are being developed, and once complete, will significantly enhance the luxury experience -- providing new levels of exemplary service, contemporary decor and luxurious amenities, synonymous with Conrad hotels worldwide. In addition, special attention will be paid to infusing the hotel with Chicago's rich cultural and artistic flavor.

"We are excited that Conrad Hotels is now in Chicago -- no doubt, one of the most important and vibrant cities in North America -- and this is certainly an essential part of the Conrad brand's expansion plans in the region," said Dieter Huckestein, chairman and CEO, Conrad Hotels. "The synergies provided by the strong existing network of the Hilton Family of Hotels in Chicago will help ensure the success of this new luxury option."

The growth of the Conrad brand in North America will continue in March 2006 with the opening of the Conrad Indianapolis. The U.S. portfolio will then include the two Midwest properties, The Waldorf Towers(R) in New York City and the Conrad Miami.

The Conrad Chicago is located between Rush Street and Michigan Avenue in the heart of Chicago's Magnificent Mile. With an exclusive entrance at 521 North Rush Street, the Conrad Chicago rises above the Westfield North Bridge shopping center and the Nordstrom department store on North Michigan Avenue. The hotel's favorable location gives it close proximity to The Loop, Chicago's financial district, Lake Michigan, Navy Pier and the Merchandise Mart.

"We have every confidence that the Conrad Chicago will offer an excellent luxury product in such a strategic market place," said Steve Kisielica, principal, Lodging Capital Partners. "We are pleased that Conrad, one of the world's finest hotel brands, has joined us in this partnership, which will lead to a range of mutually beneficial achievements for our two companies."
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #433
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

What is going up on Hubbard, between Clark and LaSalle? Its about 10 stories right now.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #434
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051109/cgw048.html?.v=33

Solis Hotels and Resorts Names Gregory Naylor Director of Sales & Marketing for Flagship Solis Chicago Hotel and Condominiums
Wednesday November 9, 4:23 pm ET
Industry Veteran Tapped for Luxury Brand's Premier Property in Chicago, IL

CHICAGO, Nov. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Solis Hotels and Resorts, a new luxury hotel and resort brand, has named industry veteran Gregory Naylor as director of sales and marketing for its flagship property, Solis Chicago Hotel and Condominiums, located adjacent to Chicago's Magnificent Mile at Wacker Drive and Michigan Avenue and slated to open in the spring of 2006. The Solis brand was created in response to discerning guests' quest for distinctive experiences and exceptional service.

"Gregory's experience in launching some of the city's premier hotels made him a clear choice for the position of director of sales and marketing for Solis Chicago Hotel and Condominiums," said Horst Schulze, president and CEO of Solis Hotels and Resorts. "As the first city property of the Solis brand, Solis Chicago Hotel and Condominiums will set a new standard of luxury and elegance, catering to the world's most sophisticated travelers. Under Gregory's leadership, we are confident the hotel will enjoy a high-profile debut in the community, and be embraced by discerning guests and owners from around the world."

Naylor will oversee Solis Chicago Hotel and Condominiums' sales, marketing, advertising and public relations once extensive renovations are completed on the existing property in spring 2006, including the addition of state-of-the-art meeting facilities, a 4,000-square-foot ballroom and a new 7,000-square-foot spa and fitness center encompassing the entire fifth floor. Naylor's extensive luxury hotel experience includes prior leadership roles at the W Chicago City Center, with Starwood Hotels and Resorts, and The Ritz- Carlton Chicago, a Four Seasons Hotel. More recently, Naylor was instrumental in the opening of Hard Rock Hotel Chicago.

"Overseeing the sales and marketing for the Solis brand's flagship property is an exciting opportunity," Naylor said. "With its premier location, highly trained staff, and the guidance of Horst Schulze's executive team, I believe Solis Chicago Hotel and Condominiums is poised for tremendous success."

Naylor earned a Master of Arts Degree in International Hotel & Tourism Management and graduated with highest honors from Schiller International University in London, England. He has been recognized repeatedly for his exceptional sales and marketing acumen, including the distinction of being honored as one of the top two sales representative in North America for Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

About Solis Chicago Hotel and Condominiums

Solis Chicago Hotel and Condominiums is the flagship city property of the new Solis Hotels and Resorts brand, developed by the West Paces Hotel Group. The premier Solis Hotel celebrates Chicago's passion for life's pleasures with unique experiences, world-class facilities and designs appealing to upscale travelers. Distinctive accommodations, combined with urban activities, will be characterized by unprecedented customer service. Solis Chicago Hotel and Condominiums will also feature 454 guestrooms and suites, a signature bistro- style restaurant with al fresco seating, a 4,000-square-foot ballroom, state- of-the-art meeting facilities and a new 7,000-square-foot spa and fitness center encompassing the entire fifth floor and including floor-to-ceiling windows with breathtaking skyline and river views.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 03:02 AM   #435
ChicagoLover

Odd.. no mention that Solis Hotel Chicago is called Hotel 71. Will the name change--I thought it just changed?
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #436
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1
What is going up on Hubbard, between Clark and LaSalle? Its about 10 stories right now.
^I feel so bad that both here and at SSP, nobody is answering your question
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #437
spyguy
Expert

If I knew I'd answer...
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #438
bobablob

Can't remember where else this was discussed:

I stopped by ABC-7 yesterday. The street level studio's opening (its been under construction for months) has been kicked back to March 1st, 2006.
bobablob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #439
dvidler

Damn, that sucks. I was looking forward to that.
Old November 10th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #440
spyguy
Expert

No wonder why they give no updates on it.