daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #461
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

^ yeah, it was once the city's tallest. only a moron would want to destroy our history like that. besides i've always loved the composition of 1 pru, 2 pru, and aon. they make a very pleasing and balanced skyscraper arrangement.

and the good thing is that 1 pru will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #462
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
Ok, some will slam me for this but I wish they would tear down the old Prudential. The thing is just but ugly in my view. I know it has been an important building in the city for many years in many respects but with its prime location and high visiblity there should/would be something to take its place that I bet would go up that would be much more aesthetically pleasing.
While the building is beautifully furnished throughout, its exterior design is so poor that when first completed it was likened to the Japenese transitor radios of that day. Shortly after, the Prudential Company was apprised of Chicago's architectural history and issued a public apology for their structure. Clearly, their second tower bears out that earlier regret. Still, up close and personal it is an impressive structure; they didn't stint on their interiors.
Frumie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #463
bobablob

Not sure where else to post this:

The Bank One Center's state street ground level has been vacant since construction, I believe. That's about to change. There's signs there of a new Starbucks (surprise surprise). Looks like it'll occupy at least 1/3 of the street front, which will be a pleasant change.

Further down the old Toys 'R Us conversion is speeding along. They've just put up the Office Depot banners and logos. The Urban Outfitters will start peeking out in a month or so, I imagine.

Men's Warehouse is drawing in the same crowds is always has.

The condo-conversion, I belive called the metropolitan, on State in the South Loop looks like its finally making some progress.

Why is this a big deal? With the influx of students into the south loop as well as other young residents, the area is undergoing a rapid transformation. I never thought I'd get excited about a Starbucks, but to be honest, bustling street level commerce on the main artery of the city is a good thing. Much of State street south of Marshalls has been borded up/covered with scaffolding/vacant for over a decade. Its very exciting to see so many spaces spring up in such a short time.

Already if you stand at the corner of Washington and State and look South you can see the increased commerce.
bobablob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #464
dvidler

I agree with feelings regarding State St. Things are starting to change and its for the better. B37, MoMo, new hotel at State & Lake, the new ABC studio, and the continued revamping of the south end of State St.

Its important for the Loop to have a great State St. Take note of Michigan Ave and what it has done for the surrounding areas. I am not anticipating that State St will become Michigan Ave ever but if its 1/2 of that then the whole loop will become a much better place to work, live, and play. And I emphasize the play part.

The loop needs some more entertainment spots for after work, tourists, and new residents. B37 looks to bring this element but there will need to be more. And this will need to be advertisied once done.
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #465
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler
I agree with feelings regarding State St. Things are starting to change and its for the better. B37, MoMo, new hotel at State & Lake, the new ABC studio, and the continued revamping of the south end of State St.

Its important for the Loop to have a great State St. Take note of Michigan Ave and what it has done for the surrounding areas. I am not anticipating that State St will become Michigan Ave ever but if its 1/2 of that then the whole loop will become a much better place to work, live, and play. And I emphasize the play part.

The loop needs some more entertainment spots for after work, tourists, and new residents. B37 looks to bring this element but there will need to be more. And this will need to be advertisied once done.
State St has 1 thing that North Michigan Avenue lacks:

TONS of character. I think they should landmark all of State St from the river down to Congress. Those buildings were built during Chicago's great golden age, and none of them are reproducible
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #466
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
Ok, some will slam me for this but I wish they would tear down the old Prudential. The thing is just but ugly in my view. I know it has been an important building in the city for many years in many respects but with its prime location and high visiblity there should/would be something to take its place that I bet would go up that would be much more aesthetically pleasing.

I have to slam this guy. WTF?
yes lets make chicago unrecognizable to all, this would be unforgiveable,
Maybe you should move to dubai where everything is BRAND NEW.
Why do you want to live in chicago? I want to live there because I grew up there and I love the MIX of OLD and NEW. Not just ALL NEW.
That is retarded. We need buildings from EVERY ARCHITECTUAL PERIOD, in order to be a WORLD CLASS CITY, it gives you more perspective and also its neat because you can compare buildings that from different periods.

Cities EVOLVE, and in america there is too much of this, ugh this is old, tear it down. Europe does the old stuff TOO MUCH, but that is far better than overdoing it the other way.
Prudential is a building that IVE known since I was a teeny tiny kid, and it used to have red signage and its been cleaned up quite a bit, I think it looks great with it "rock" on the side. So please dont encourage the destruction of ties to my childhood

There are plenty of buildings that can go up on blighted sites.
That is WASTEFUL to knock down a PERFECTLY good building. Think of all the money you would lose if you owned that building and had it torn down and build something else, you would have to be very very very rich AND it would be economically a RETARDED move.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #467
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Office tower on the block

Tribune staff, wire reports
Published November 17, 2005

Yet another downtown office tower is going on the market, as Beacon Capital Partners LLC said Eastdil Realty Co. has been hired to market 222 S. Riverside Plaza, a 1.2 million-square-foot building in the West Loop. The 35-story building is owned by a $1 billion fund managed by a Boston investment firm. Included in the sale would be an adjacent, 72,000-square-foot health club at 444 W. Jackson Blvd. The club is leased by Fitness Formula Ltd., parent of the Multiplex chain.

The announcement comes about two weeks after Cincinnati-based Fifth Third Bank said it had leased 150,000 square feet in the riverfront structure, consolidating offices located in Rolling Meadows and another downtown location. The office move is to be completed in January. Next spring Fifth Third also will open a 4,000-square-foot branch on the first floor. Research firm CoStar Group says the building is nearly 97 percent leased.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #468
Chicago Shawn

All three towers presented to the Plan Commision today passed.

The 27 story 345 foot tower at State and Huron had some opposition from 2 fordham residents that complianed about lost views, shadows, traffic, too much congestion, and too tall a building. Same old bull shit now comming from a new source. I couldn't help but laugh at those complaints considering she only lived in the building for a year and a half, and that the Fordham is also nearly twice as tall.

Never fear though, Alderman Naturas was quick to fire back at those two, claiming that the fordham condo board was okay with this, and that this project which has been downsized was originally proposed in 2002, before the Fordham was completed. He also mentioned his disgust over some letters of opposition filed in his office from some residents of the Fordham who were protesting developer contributions to the affordable housing fund; with phrases like "why should we give money to poor people."

I swear to god, this NIMBYism is getting worse and is really putting me on the edge of going insane. The affordable Housing trust fund is completley made up of developer contributions (about an additional $1.6 million will go into it with just these three newly approved high-rises), none of thier tax money ends up in it, so I can't understand why people would be so pissed over it. I guess they don't want any low income or middle class people in the city at all. I just thank god that I live in a city whose progressive government doesn't listen to or put up with that shit.

Anyway, yes all three towers presented today have been approved and all three are pretty nice. The Cermak-michigan project in particular looks real good, with 27,000 square feet of retail and a 35 story tower that looks like the two towers of 600 LSD placed side by side on a common wall. The Michigan Avenue side of the project has a low-rise 7 story loft midrise that will fit into the Historic Motor Row district, but will keep the same contemporary architectural design as the 35 story tower.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:21 AM   #469
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn

The 27 story 345 foot tower at State and Huron had some opposition from 2 fordham residents that complianed about lost views, shadows, traffic, too much congestion, and too tall a building. Same old bull shit now comming from a new source. I couldn't help but laugh at those complaints considering she only lived in the building for a year and a half, and that the Fordham is also nearly twice as tall.

Never fear though, Alderman Naturas was quick to fire back at those two, claiming that the fordham condo board was okay with this, and that this project which has been downsized was originally proposed in 2002, before the Fordham was completed. He also mentioned his disgust over some letters of opposition filed in his office from some residents of the Fordham who were protesting developer contributions to the affordable housing fund; with phrases like "why should we give money to poor people."

I swear to god, this NIMBYism is getting worse and is really putting me on the edge of going insane. The affordable Housing trust fund is completley made up of developer contributions (about an additional $1.6 million will go into it with just these three newly approved high-rises), none of thier tax money ends up in it, so I can't understand why people would be so pissed over it. I guess they don't want any low income or middle class people in the city at all. I just thank god that I live in a city whose progressive government doesn't listen to or put up with that shit.

Anyway, yes all three towers presented today have been approved and all three are pretty nice. The Cermak-michigan project in particular looks real good, with 27,000 square feet of retail and a 35 story tower that looks like the two towers of 600 LSD placed side by side on a common wall. The Michigan Avenue side of the project has a low-rise 7 story loft midrise that will fit into the Historic Motor Row district, but will keep the same contemporary architectural design as the 35 story tower.
^GREAT news. Any renderings?
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #470
Chi_Coruscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn

The 27 story 345 foot tower at State and Huron. . . The Cermak-michigan project in particular looks real good, with 27,000 square feet of retail and a 35 story tower that looks like the two towers of 600 LSD placed side by side on a common wall. . .The Michigan Avenue side of the project has a low-rise 7 story loft midrise that will fit into the Historic Motor Row district, but will keep the same contemporary architectural design as the 35 story tower.
Who is the architect for each tower? BTW, good work, ChicagoShawn!
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:55 AM   #471
ChicagoLover

Excellent.. don't we have renderings for these somewhere? Steely Dan's SSP gallery, say? I can't go over there an check as their gallery is down. I seem to recall a project with townhouses attached on one side, although I don't remember it being contemporary.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #472
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Why do I feel like this is the first I've heard of the Huron/State tower? How is that possible - it's a block from my place!

Also... that tower at Mich/Cerm sounds huge... gonna blow the scale of the neighborhood! (in a good way!)
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #473
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Sry for the double -

hey Steely... I hadn't been to the boom rundown in a while and I noticed that the Columbian is listed as "UC." Is that true!? Did they really start that ******* thing finally?
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #474
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
State St has 1 thing that North Michigan Avenue lacks:

TONS of character. I think they should landmark all of State St from the river down to Congress. Those buildings were built during Chicago's great golden age, and none of them are reproducible
I think in the eyes of history, Chicago's "golden age" has yet to occur.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #475
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 886

Here is a rendering of The Huron Club and the Cermak-Michigan Condominiums that I took at the plan commission meeting last Thursday.

The Huron Club
Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates

Cermak-Michigan Condominiums 365'0"
VOA Associates
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #476
The Urban Politician
The City

Thanks Victor!

The Huron Club is not bad. However, I'll reserve my judgement on Cermak-Michigan until a more detailed rendering is released
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #477
spyguy
Expert

Looks like 600 N. LSD
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #478
ChicagoLover

The Huron Club... hah.. it seems they're running out of names.. and designs... it looks like a love child between Jahn's new Streeterville Building, and... maybe 550 St. Clair, or a host of other buildings.. Parentage unknown...

I like what I see of the Cermak-Michigan condos... very much. And its encouraging to finally see another architect that isn't the usual suspects of Solomon Cordwell Buenz, Lucien Lagrange..
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #479
spyguy
Expert

http://www.crainschicago.c m/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=18559

Owner to sell stake in 233 N. Michigan

Parkway Properties is selling a 70% to 90% stake in the 30-story office building at 233 N. Michigan Ave. The Mississippi REIT has hired Dallas-based real estate firm Holliday Fenoglio Fowler to sell the 1-million-square-foot property. Parkway in January bought out its previous partner in the building in a deal that valued the property at $194 million, or $182 a square foot. Parkway disclosed the plan in a conference call earlier this month. [Alby Gallun]
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #480
Chi_Coruscant

Thank you, BVictor! Huron Club kinda looks shorty.

Condo boom is not confined to the River North but now strectches southward on Michigan Ave. This is fantastic.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote