daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #561
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

Thank you, BVictor!

618-630 W Washington looks a bit weird. It is not ugly. It is not stunning. It is just weird.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #562
HowardL

Likes (Received): 1

618-630 West Washington could be pretty cool. Reminds me of a lot of the really zooty modern buildings going up in the Netherlands. A bit of Delta-esque modernism in the West Loop would be a good thing. Could be very diggable.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #563
Chi_Coruscant

- edit
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #564
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I'm a little happy and sad about the Grant Park thing. On one hand I'm for more greenery and to make Grant Park look unified, on the other it's sad to see part of Chicago's railroad legacy gone. But I suppose that's more of a sentimental thing, especially if it serves no purpose other than to look gritty.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #565
spyguy
Expert

Whoa

- edit
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #566
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
I'm a little happy and sad about the Grant Park thing. On one hand I'm for more greenery and to make Grant Park look unified, on the other it's sad to see part of Chicago's railroad legacy gone. But I suppose that's more of a sentimental thing, especially if it serves no purpose other than to look gritty.

^Yeah, but it's not like the trains will be gone. They'll just be where they belong--underground. Personally, I think it would be cool to ride the commuter rail and for a large chunk of it (through Grant Park) to be a subway. Subways are cool in one way--they keep you away from the noise and activity of the city, and when you finally emerge from underground, you're like WOW!

One of the great things about cities like Chicago and NYC are their enormous complexity--that is what gives them their charm. The fact that you can have multi-level roads or underground trains and garages with a beautiful park with trees above is the sign of a truly sophisticated city--and that only comes from man's great engineering genius. Leaving those Metra trains out in the open may be a nice view to the past, but it doesn't really say "global" and "sophisticated" like having them underground would

Last edited by The Urban Politician; December 17th, 2005 at 11:00 PM.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #567
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

Great news about the JHC.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #568
rgolch

Likes (Received): 81

Has anyone seen the "Visionary Chicago Architecture" exhibit at the Graham foundation. I'm thinking about trekking out to see that one. I would love to see Jahn's sail/LED concept for northernly isle.
rgolch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #569
spyguy
Expert

I may have seen pictures but I want to venture down there and see it for myself. If anyone does go, try and take nice pictures please.
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #570
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

Chicago--McKinley Gardens Townhomes, 32nd Street and Western Avenue, 69-unit townhome development, December, $4.9 million.

Chicago--1000 S. Michigan condominiums, 1000 S. Michigan Ave., 350-unit condominium development, October 2006, $100 million.

Chicago--Union Station mixed-use, 300 W. Adams St., 1.2 million-square-foot mixed-use development, October 2006, $120 million.

Chicago--La Estancia, 2753 W. Division St., 70,000-square-foot mixed-use development, March 2006, $17 million.
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #571
Rascacielos

http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...-garage19.html
Rascacielos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #572
Chi_Coruscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascacielos
GE division plans Loop residential building
December 19, 2005

BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN Staff Reporters Advertisement

A division of General Electric has filed plans to build a 44-story residential tower on an empty lot at 215 W. Washington, where one of the city's oldest parking garages was torn down in recent months.

The plans were contained in a zoning application filed by parking garage operator InterPark, which has a contract to buy the land from a family trust. Sources have said the sales price is around $11 million.

Charles Murphy, senior vice president at InterPark, said it's not known if the proposed 335 units will be sold or rented. Also under discussion with the city, he said, is the size of the building's parking component.

Murphy said the Chicago architectural firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates Inc. will design the building. Murphy wouldn't commit to a construction timetable, but said he hopes for "some progress" at the site later in 2006.

InterPark is part of General Electric's commercial finance arm. It has occasionally been involved in developing mixed-use buildings that contain a parking component.

Murphy said InterPark might agree to include a residential developer as a partner in the project.

The property is in the center of the Loop and just over a block from City Hall. It's across the street from two former Illinois Bell buildings that were successfully converted to condos in the 1990s.

The old Hotel LaSalle Garage used to occupy 215 W. Washington. It was a throwback operation where customers had to hand their keys to valets because it only had a single ramp for storing and retrieving cars.

The architectural firm Holabird & Roche designed the garage to look like an office building of the time.
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #573
dvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
I wouldnt worry about the railway being completely covered up. I think they will try to cover up the major sections (SW corner, MP area) and leave the rest open as is. But this is really good. I think with the success of MP it is driving Grant Park to improve as well. Its the front yard of Chicago and it should be one of the best parks in Chicago.

I also see Petrillo Band Shell being removed and placed somewhere in the south end of the park, maybe some roads closing, and an overall improvement to the facilites.
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #574
PrintersRowBoiler

If you look at the longterm siteplan for downtown, they show Petrillo being removed and replaced with baseball diamonds. I recollect that the diamonds just north of Roosevelt Road at Columbus were not in the siteplan. It looked like they downsized on the number of fields.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #575
PrintersRowBoiler

Chicago--Union Station mixed-use, 300 W. Adams St., 1.2 million-square-foot mixed-use development, October 2006, $120 million.

What is this? Did I miss these news?!
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #576
Chi_Coruscant

Developers Eye Smaller Units for $70M Condo Tower
By Mark Ruda
Last updated: December 19, 2005 07:20pm

http://www.globest.com/news/437_437/.../141262-1.html
CHICAGO-Smaller units appear to be the way to go for new developments in the South Loop. At least, that's the experience for developers of a $70-million, 268-unit building at 1400 S. Michigan Ave.

Skokie developer Jacob Bletnitsky's 1400 S. Michigan LLC includes partners in another condominium at 1250 S. Michigan Ave., a mix of one-, two- and three-bedroom units. The partners saw resistance from the market to the larger units, says partner Alex Vaisman, who adds Appraisal Research Counselors also suggested a mix heavy on smaller units.

As a result, new plans call for 60% of the 29-story building at 1400 S. Michigan Ave. to be one-bedrooms, up to 850 sf, priced from $200,000. The rest will be mostly two-bedrooms, averaging $350,000, with a smattering of 3,500-sf penthouses projected to run about $1 million.

"These developers have just finished 1250 S. Michigan so they have experience in this market," says attorney Caroline Nash, who represents the developers. "They are very confident in this market."

Plans approved last year called for 210 units in a 24-story building. A 25% increase in the building's size was achieved with a bonus for a $432,317 contribution to the city's affordable housing fund. Unchanged in the new plan is the 9,000 sf of ground-floor retail space as well as an Art Deco and modern urban design.

Vaisman says his group hopes to break ground in August, anticipating 80% of the units could be pre-sold by then. After two months of marketing, Vaisman says the development team has signed contracts for 130 units. However, the team needs to buy the southernmost piece of the parcel needed to create the 34,311-sf site, according to a filing with city planners.

"We've been working with the developer for over a year and we're familiar with the development team," says Bonnie Sanchez-Carlson, president and executive director of the Near South Planning Board. She notes the 303 parking spaces are more than one per unit. "We commend them on that."
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #577
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

^
1250 S. Michigan is my building, aka Michigan Ave. Tower. I own a 2 bed 2 bath on the 12 floor, which I'm currently renting out, and I must say my renters love the place (they are from London). It is a very sexy building. The developer's name is Franklin and Giles. The building was constructed by Walsh. I'm pretty sure 1400 south will be a great building as well.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #578
spyguy
Expert

From GlobeSt

Jones Lang LaSalle Raising $300M for Office Tower
By Mark Ruda

Last updated: December 20, 2005 09:17am

Mesirow Stein Real Estate Inc. has begun raising money to build its 1.1-million-sf, 40-story office building at 351 N. Clark St., which they will co-anchor with Jenner & Block. The developer has hired Jones Lang LaSalle to raise more than $300 million needed to construct the building north of the Chicago River.

“The financing options available are truly global in today’s market,” says Jones Lang LaSalle managing director Bart Steinfeld, leading the capital-raising effort with Dave Hendrickson of the company’s real estate investment banking team. “The availability of capital is abundant. In fact, we expect there to be more capital available in ‘06 than there was in ‘05--and 2005 was a record year.”

Mesirow Stein Real Estate and law firm Jenner & Block are combining to take 700,000 sf, leaving Jones Lang LaSalle to lease the remaining 400,000 sf in the building between Clark and Dearborn streets, south of Kinzie Street. In addition, plans for the building include 30,000 sf of retail space. Construction is expected to be completed in 2009.

-------------------------

That is what I found on Lohan Anderson's site for this project under "news."

"The striking design by Lohan Anderson has been carefully shaped and placed to maximize tenant views in all directions as well as maintain view corridors for adjacent neighbors. The exterior of the building will be clad in an articulated, state-of-the-art glass and stainless steel curtain wall which will give the building a distinctive character by day and night. Another key feature of the design is a private motor court area at the south side of the building which will provide a dramatic entrance to the office building."
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM   #579
Chi_Coruscant

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roede...-roeder21.html

December 21, 2005

BY DAVID ROEDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST Advertisement

City officials are closing in on a property deal with Coca-Cola Co. that would have two salutary results: bringing jobs to a neighborhood that needs them, and providing expansion space for a packed high school.

A source said Coke is close to signing a lease for the sprawling factory at 1401 N. Cicero that once was occupied by cosmetics manufacturer Helene Curtis. Coke then would consolidate distribution centers in Chicago and Niles after completing a $7 million renovation on the factory, said the source, who described the following scenario:

The decision would allow Coke to vacate property at 1424 W. Cermak, where it hems in Benito Juarez High School. The company also would leave a building at 7400 N. Oak Park in Niles.

That would mean about 275 jobs being consolidated in the city, while Juarez gets space to grow, assuming the city and Coke can strike a bargain for the property. An executive at Coke could not be reached, and a spokeswoman for the city's Department of Planning and Development declined to comment.

My source said financial details, including a subsidy under the tax-increment financing program, remain to be worked out but that Coke is committed to the project in principle.

Helene Curtis' owner, Unilever, closed the 376,000-square-foot distribution center on Cicero in 2003.

IN ORBITZ: Travel Web site Orbitz and its corporate parent, Cendant Travel Distribution Services, have agreed to lease 145,000 square feet at Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, starting in mid-2006. The operation will relocate and expand from 200 S. Wacker.

Orbitz.com and allied brands such as CheapTickets.com and Lodging.com have consolidated jobs in Chicago. A company spokesman said it is continuing to hire topflight technology staff.

Transwestern Commercial Services and MB Real Estate were brokers in the deal.

FANCY FOOTWORK: Chicago's Joffrey Ballet has completed a deal with Smithfield Properties LLC to own two floors in a new condo tower being built at the northeast corner of State and Randolph. Joffrey will own the third and fourth floors, which it will use for offices and rehearsal space. Terms were not disclosed.

As a result, the building will be called Joffrey Tower, which should help market the condos to the culture crowd.

PLANNING TO PLAN: Builders who keep an eye on the state Legislature have wondered about the new Regional Planning Board, an agency that's supposed to get Chicago area towns talking to one another about smart development and job creation. Will it be effective? Will it insert itself in local zoning decisions? Will it be anti-growth?

From what I've seen, the builders shouldn't have much to worry about. Taxpayers, however, might have gripes. The board held a "retreat'' Dec. 2 at the University Club of Chicago, issuing a report on the proceedings that was "facilitated,'' not written. It talked about "vision elements,'' "vision statements'' and "SWOTs,'' or strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats to the whole enterprise. All agreed that the chief threat to the new board is not enough money and not enough staff.

It hasn't done anything yet, and already it doesn't have enough money with which to do it.

This board, appointed by the Chicago mayor and local county board chairmen, is supposed to combine functions of the Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission and the Chicago Area Transportation Study. Each agency has about 40 people, yet there's a three-year phase-in period for the merger. J.P. Morgan and Bank One didn't take so long.

HAVE SOME BUBBLY: The holidays just wouldn't be the same without the annual greetings from the real estate public relations firm Taylor Johnson Associates. This year, its list of stories the media overlooked the last 12 months all have one topic in mind, as you can tell from these excerpts:

"Dip in housing prices reported after Greenspan orders 'frothy latte' at D.C.-area Starbucks."

"California, Las Vegas and Miami secede from the United States to form their own country, Bubblandia, where housing prices will never, ever, ever go down.''

"President Bush shrugs off prospect of a drop in housing prices, saying, 'Who cares? The White House is a rental and I've got three years left on my lease.'"

So Merry Christmas, everyone, or whatever it's called at your house. And to the developers, remember the less fortunate, like your tenants and co-investors.
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM   #580
Chi_Coruscant

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

Citigroup Center finds room for Orbitz

By Thomas A. Corfman
Tribune staff reporter
Published December 21, 2005

The joint venture that owns Citigroup Center has signed a lease with online travel agency Orbitz Inc., the first big deal since a recapitalization armed the West Loop tower with new financial firepower to win prospective tenants.

Orbitz and other brands in Cendant Corp.'s consumer travel division will take 145,000 square feet of space in the prominent building at 500 W. Madison St., which is connected to the Ogilvie Transportation Center.

Cendant's consumer travel division, which includes CheapTickets.com and Lodging.com, is moving from 200 S. Wacker Drive, where it has about 100,000 square feet of space. Cendant's online travel workforce here has bulked up since it acquired Orbitz in a $1.25 billion deal 13 month ago.

"While other acquisitions have driven business out of Chicago ... Orbitz will continue to be a leading technology company in this city," said Mitch Truwit, who became president and chief executive of Orbitz after the acquisition.

Orbitz becomes the second-largest tenant in Citigroup Center after the namesake financial-services company, which has 233,300 square feet.

The deal is a key step in a revival for the 1.5 million-square-foot tower, which was built in 1987 but saw its vacancy rate fall to 32 percent in June despite a costly renovation by longtime owner General Electric Co.'s pension fund.

Orbitz, which was advised by real estate firm Transwestern Commercial Services, considered more than 20 West Loop office buildings.

John Murphy, executive vice president with MB Real Estate Services LLC, which manages the building, said the selection "validates our assertion that this redeveloped Class A office tower provides superior economic efficiencies for the tenant."

The turnaround began in June when a firm representing German investors acquired a 50 percent interest in the building from the GE pension fund. Cash from the deal, together with new loans totaling $245 million from New York investment bank Lehman Brothers, provided fresh capital for leasing expenses and to build out office space.

For example, as a part of the 17-year lease with Orbitz, Citigroup Center is assuming some of Orbitz's cost of getting out of its existing lease at 200 S. Wacker, sources said.

Orbitz could terminate its Wacker lease in 2009 by paying about $2.5 million, but that cost could be cut by subleasing the space, sources said.

Once the turnaround is complete, Citigroup Center's cash flow is predicted to increase 60 percent, to $25.9 million, according to a loan summary. The tower's value would rise to $430 million, compared with $370 million when the joint venture deal was struck

The building's next three largest tenants--the federal government, software company SSA Global Technologies Inc. and financial printer Bowne & Co.--combined have about 224,500 square feet.