daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #781
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

I posted this in the S'ville thread as well.

I'm concerned about how these towers are going to look in such close proximity to another set of twins (McClurg Court Towers).

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #782
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

INTERESTING ADGNDA FOR THIS MONTHS PLAN COMMISSION

CHICAGO PLAN COMMISSION
118 North Clark Street
Cook County Board Room, County Building
Chicago, Illinois 60602
May 19, 2006
1:00 P.M

A proposed Residential Planned Development application submitted by Lennar
Communities of Chicago, L.L.C. for the property generally located at 824 South Clark Street. The applicant has proposed the construction of up to 1,000 residential units in three high-rise buildings varying in height from 34 to 42 stories, accessory parking garages, and an approximately 0.6-acre park. (2nd Ward)

A proposed revised Site Plan for Sub-area B of Residential-Business Planned
Development No. 819, as amended, generally located at 555 West Kinzie Street. Subarea B is bounded by W. Kinzie Street, N. Desplaines Street, Metra Milwaukee District tracks, and North Jefferson Street. The Planned Development requires that any substantial revisions to the Site Plans, Landscape Plans and Elevations approved in the Planned Development be submitted to the Chicago Plan Commission for approval. The applicant, Fifield Companies, proposes 360 residential dwelling units in a 39-story building with enclosed parking for approximately 287 autos and a public park of approximately 1.09 acres. (42nd Ward)

A proposed Amendment to Residential-Business Planned Development No. 523, as amended submitted by Roosevelt Collection, L.L.C. for the property generally located at 1158 South Clark Stree. The applicant has proposed to reconfigure three of the eight sub-areas, relocate some of the proposed streets, and relocate and reduce the proposed park. The applicant also seeks site plan approval for the construction of approximately 450,000 square feet of retail space including movie theaters, approximately 300 dwelling units in two five-story buildings, and approximately 300 residential units in a 43-story building, all to be located above a 5-level parking base for approximately 1,800 autos. (2nd Ward)

A proposed Residential-Business Planned Development application submitted by Kingsdale Enterprises LLC for the property generally located at 617- 627 W. Division Street, 1145 to 1175 North Howe and 614 to 626 West Elm Street. The applicant has proposed the construction of a 25-story building to contain 240 dwelling units, retail uses and 240 non-accessory parking spaces. (27th Ward)
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #783
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

I'm really hoping Roosevelt Collection moves forward. Anyone who loves retail will love this development. If the stores that are on the drawings actually move in then I think alot of people will be really happy with this. Plus another 500' tower down there will be a nice addition.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #784
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Do you happen to know any particular stores that are supposed to be in this project? So far I've only heard about the movie theatre, but I hope that all these developments will create another shopping/entertainment node similar to Michigan Ave. and State St.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #785
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonhomebuyers
I'm really hoping Roosevelt Collection moves forward. Anyone who loves retail will love this development. If the stores that are on the drawings actually move in then I think alot of people will be really happy with this. Plus another 500' tower down there will be a nice addition.
^ I am truly doubtful about this project. I was hoping more connectivity would be a part of it, but this use of a cul-de-sac really disappoints. Chicago's streetgrid system is a strength, yet building a retail version of Dearborn Park will continue to sap away the potential of the south loop as a viable urban community. If this thing turns out to be a giant outdoor shopping mall it will be a huge drop in our city's standards.

I can see it now--those NIMBY ****s living in Dearborn Park getting into their cars, driving onto the Roosevelt bridge (since these bumble****s have no other way of getting west of Clark because of their damned inward-oriented disconnected Schizo-suburban "community) and then driving down the cul-de-sac into their movie theatre to watch movies. Yippy, lets all just pretend we live in Naperville! "Mommy, mommy, can I have some ice cream?" "Sure, son, lets all pile up into our SUV and drive to the Roosevelt Collection!!"

THUMBS DOWN!

The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #786
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...n-nokia08.html

Nokia opening flagship store on N. Michigan
May 8, 2006
BY HOWARD WOLINSKY Business Reporter

Nokia, the No. 1 cell phone maker in the world and No. 2 in the United States, in June will be planting its flag on North Michigan Avenue with North America's first "Nokia Flagship Store," in the heart of Motorola-land.

And industry analysts expect Schaumburg-based Motorola, the No. 1 phone maker in the United States and No. 2 in the world, eventually will follow suit with store wars to peddle their wares. Traditionally, carriers such as Verizon, Cingular and Sprint have sold cell phones to consumers with discount plans.

Keith Nowak, spokesman for Nokia, told the Sun-Times in an e-mail: "All we really know for sure right now is that we will be opening a Nokia Flagship Store [the first in the U.S.] on Michigan Avenue in June. I wish I could share more."

However, sources confirmed that the Nokia store will be at 545 N. Michigan, which, perhaps coincidentally, is close to Motorola's "Moto City" design center at 233 N. Michigan and Motorola Chairman Ed Zander's downtown lodgings.

Motorola declined comment on Nokia's plans and on whether it was considering opening Moto stores.

But Jane Zweig, chief executive of the Shosteck Group, a wireless industry market research firm in Wheaton, Md., said, "I wouldn't be surprised to see Motorola go down that path."

Likewise, Neil Mawston, associate director of global wireless practice for Boston-based Strategy Analytics Ltd. said, "We expect the other mega-vendors, Motorola and perhaps Samsung, to follow Nokia's lead if it proves successful. The rest of the market will struggle to copy Nokia, due to smaller marketing budgets and less resources."

He said said Nokia is copying Apple Computer, which has retail stores, including a major store at 679 N. Michigan. Zweig said, "Apple has done well with its stores. Apple creates an experience when you walk into their stores. Nokia wants to do the same."

Nokia in December opened the first of its company-owned and managed stores in Moscow's prestigious Pushkin Square district, and indicated it plans several more stores in "shopping capitals of the world." Another flagship store is planned for New York City by the end of the year.

Nokia outlined its strategy in an online ad for sales associates in Chicago: "Our new flagship store will change the face of phone retailing forever. It will be devoted to showcasing the latest products and --even more importantly -- allowing customers to use them."

The company tells would-be sales associates: "At Nokia, a phone is never just a phone. It's a camera, a palmtop, a diary, an MP3 player. Join us in our new flagship store, and you'll be putting the very latest models into people's hands. And making sure they'll never see their phone in quite the same way again."

Nokia's plan is to situate Flagship Stores "in the very best retail locations in high-traffic urban settings in major markets worldwide."

Mawston said, "One of Nokia's biggest competitive advantages is its impressive distribution network. Opening its own stores is another step to upgrading that network for affluent, high-end users who are looking increasingly for shoppertainment [shopping + entertainment] in the emerging experience economy [users want memorable in-store experiences, not just a 'visit']."

Nokia already has a Nokia Experience Center in North Bridge Mall, which displays but does not sell Nokia products. The center will be across the street from the Chicago Flagship store. Zweig said Nokia likely will close the Nokia Experience Center.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #787
danthediscoman

Thats good news. I walked down Mag mile a few nights ago and was
surprised by at least 3 or 4 vacant storefronts...it looks really tacky.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #788
Chicago Shawn

Likes (Received): 0

824 South Clark Development...

I just created the Emporis pages for the three buildings in this development. The planned development from city hall only has the project name listed by the address, so I used it for the project name and broke the towers down by A, B and C as listed in the PD document. These are roof heights and DO NOT INCLUDE the mechicanical penthouses, so they will increase slightly when one of the Emporis members gets to see actual blueprints.

Tower A:
(Polk and Clark SW Corner)
34 Stories 342'-8"
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=265655

Tower B:
(Clark Street, Midway between Polk and 9th Street)
42 Stories 422'-4"
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=265657

Tower C
(Clark Street and 9th Street NW Corner)
33 Stories 394'-4"
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=265658

The three towers will sit in a C shape plan, with a central courtyard/ park along Clark Street in the center of the development. There will be a total of 1000 units and 975 parking spaces, and 1 acre of open public space. The development will run from Polk to the new 9th Street, which appears to be planned to run under the Metra Tracks and tie into the Roosevelt Collection.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #789
Chicago Shawn

Roosevlt Collection, Much bigger than originally planned

Hey folks, The Roosevelt Collection will include everything between Polk on the north, Clark on the east, Roosevelt on the south and Wells on the west (Except for the three tower concord development between 9th and Polk and an existing parking lot and loft bulding at Polk and Wells).

This project includes the already built Target store and the proposed 'The Curve' tower.

BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE>>>

Another residential tower on the SW corner of 9th and Clark, A 44-45 story Residential tower at Wells and Taylor Streets (With a height of roughly 476' from Wells Street, its hard to read on the PD); and another 40 story tower at Polk and Financial Place. There will be some townhomes, new construction lofts and a public park in addition to the planned retail strip leading from Roosevelt Road. For a grand total of..... DRUMROLL PLEASE........4,406 dwelling units (maximum).

I can't wait until Peter Ziv of South Loop Neighbors and the Fallio Square Lofts hears about this, he will have a stroke. HA-HA **** you Peter, welcome to the city.

I'll try to find out more info at the Plan Commission Meeting, which has been moved to Friday the 19th, and will be held in the County Building.

ALSO, The next meeting for CUAG, Now known as Citizens for Better Planning will be this Thursday at 8pm in the Billy Goat Tavern. Come on by, have a cold beer, and chat with like minded Chicagoans. Participation in the group is as much or as little as you choose.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #790
spyguy
Expert

Wow. I think soon we're going to need a map to remember what projects and towers go where. And yeah, Peter Ziv will probably have to go on a hunger strike or some other desperate move to block this project too.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #791
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

I'm really excited for this area to get developed. Long live Target and its ability to jumpstart ANY neighborhood!!!
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #792
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn

Hey folks, The Roosevelt Collection will include everything between Polk on the north, Clark on the east, Roosevelt on the south and Wells on the west (Except for the three tower concord development between 9th and Polk and an existing parking lot and loft bulding at Polk and Wells).

This project includes the already built Target store and the proposed 'The Curve' tower.

Another residential tower on the SW corner of 9th and Clark, A 44-45 story Residential tower at Wells and Taylor Streets (With a height of roughly 476' from Wells Street, its hard to read on the PD); and another 40 story tower at Polk and Financial Place. There will be some townhomes, new construction lofts and a public park in addition to the planned retail strip leading from Roosevelt Road. For a grand total of..... DRUMROLL PLEASE........4,406 dwelling units (maximum).

I can't wait until Peter Ziv of South Loop Neighbors and the Fallio Square Lofts hears about this, he will have a stroke. HA-HA **** you Peter, welcome to the city.

I'll try to find out more info at the Plan Commission Meeting, which has been moved to Friday the 19th, and will be held in the County Building.

ALSO, The next meeting for CUAG, Now known as Citizens for Better Planning will be this Thursday at 8pm in the Billy Goat Tavern. Come on by, have a cold beer, and chat with like minded Chicagoans. Participation in the group is as much or as little as you choose.
^Great news, Shawn! I may actually warm up to this, but I really wish they would do some more comprehensive planning, ie integrate it better with the streetgrid.

Either way, lock and load. I see this development as being CBP's 1st official battle
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #793
headcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^Great news, Shawn! I may actually warm up to this, but I really wish they would do some more comprehensive planning, ie integrate it better with the streetgrid.

Either way, lock and load. I see this development as being CBP's 1st official battle
Isn't the Collection a approved PD? If this is the case, and I will talk to Shawn tonight to see if it is, than there is no battle, right?
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #794
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn

I thought that this was all considered part of the same development? Although AMLI controls a portion of the work along with the curvy building by D2, it was my understanding that everyone was going in together to develop the DP for this site.

And screw Peter Ziv. I saw an article about him that patronized him for his work. I also see the pest walking around the neighborhood as if he runs it and he crashed a neighborhood meeting and really irked some neighbors (including myself). I think this guy is one of the most condescending, irrational, contradicting, Nimby that this side of the loop has seen. Even some of the residents in his building at Folio Square feel he is unreasonable.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #795
Chi_Coruscant

- edit
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #796
spyguy
Expert

http://www.globest.com/news/551_551/.../145783-1.html

Food Outlet, CVS Join MetraMarket

MetraMarket, the 200,000-sf ground-level retail redevelopment being created beneath overhead commuter rail tracks, has landed a fresh food market as well as a pharmacy. Paris-based market operator Sebastien Bensidoun has signed a 15,000-sf lease to anchor the redevelopment while Providence, RI-based CVS is adding a 14,000-sf location in the new two-block retail area north of the Ogilvie Transportation Center.

“Fresh food markets have been an essential part of community life in Europe for centuries,” Bensidoun says. His market will serve a West Loop community that continues to see multifamily development. “Retail amenities for our West Loop residents are a priority, and this market is a welcome enhancement to the neighborhood,” says Fulton River District Association vice president Barbara Frankel Abrams. Adds U.S. Equities Realty chairman Robert A. Wislow, whose company oversees the development, management and leasing of the project, “A vibrant public market has always been a cornerstone of our vision for MetraMarket.”

Ogilvie Transportation Center is visited by 95,000 commuters daily, topped only by nearby Union Station. In addition, the Chicago Transit Authority’s Green Line station at Clinton Street sees 2,260 commuters a day. “With its tremendous volume of foot and auto traffic, this location is one of the most attractive opportunities we've seen since we entered the region in 2000,” says CVS Realty Co. regional director of real estate Michele Dodd.
The $46-million project is reactivating a 95-year-old building bounded by Canal, Clinton, Lake and Washington streets. Although terms of the Bensidoun and CVS deals were not disclosed, asking lease rates for MetraMarket space ranges from $35 per sf to $65 per sf. U.S. Equities Realty is looking for restaurants, from white-tablecloth to casual dining, and street retail tenants for the remaining space. Occupancy is being promised for next summer.

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #797
spyguy
Expert

http://www.wwd.com/fashion/article/106354

ON TO CHICAGO: Fur designer Dennis Basso is about to get some competition in the Chicago retail scene. Gilles Mendel plans to open a J. Mendel boutique on Michigan Avenue near Louis Vuitton. Basso opened a store on Magnificent Mile last year. Mendel said he is also eyeing locations for freestanding stores on the West Coast. He recently opened a concept shop in Moscow, a city where the demand for fur coats has driven up skin prices in recent months.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #798
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/outpu...in-rite19.html

Scottish Rite site at more than $50 million

May 19, 2006

BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter

The price for the Scottish Rite Cathedral and the city block that surrounds it has soared to more than $50 million, with two developers joining forces to emerge as the leading bidder, sources said.

Enterprise Cos. and Mesirow Stein Real Estate jointly submitted the top offer for the site, people close to the bidding process said. With boundaries of Walton, Delaware, State and Dearborn, the property is the biggest development opportunity on the Near North Side.

It's also a deal with many complications. About half the block is a parking lot, but the rest contains buildings from the late 19th century that can't be demolished under the city's rules. They are part of the landmark Washington Square District.

One of the buildings is the cathedral at 929 N. Dearborn, a former Unity Church used since 1911 by Scottish Rite, a Masonic fraternal organization that owns the block. It's a familiar sight to users of Washington Square Park and the Newberry Library, both located across the street.

Ronald Shipka, principal of Enterprise, confirmed that he formed a partnership with Mesirow Stein, headed by longtime builder Richard Stein. "We've worked very hard to put together something that will meet the needs of Scottish Rite, the alderman and the surrounding community,'' he said, while keeping details private.

The most likely scenario for the parking lot is high-rise housing. But the deal is being negotiated as rising interest rates make condominiums more expensive for developers to build and for buyers.

Also, a project there probably would require a zoning change. That could stir an affluent neighborhood into opposition with aldermanic and mayoral elections approaching next year.

"It's going to take some imaginative development strategies and tons of cooperation from the city to get this done," said an expert in the property, who's not involved in the bidding.

Sources said the block attracted 11 bids. While the amount of the Shipka-Stein offer isn't known, sources said the top prices exceeded $50 million.

The parking lot that fronts on State carries a zoning classification that limits new construction to a height of 155 feet for 200 living units. The buyer would want a contract tied to a zoning change.

[email protected]
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:39 AM   #799
spyguy
Expert

More on Moto on Michigan Ave

- edit
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #800
Frumie

At last!

Commercial Real Estate News

Rental Tower Beefs Up as Start Nears

By Mark Ruda of GlobeSt.com

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - CHICAGO-A long-awaited multifamily rental building planned for the corner of Des Plaines and Kinzie streets will be slimmer, taller and have 35 more units than originally expected. Revised plans by Fifield Cos., calling for a 350-unit, 39-story building at the southeast corner, were endorsed Friday by the plan commission.

Rents in the multifamily tower, across Kinzie Street from the Blommer Chocolate factory and part of the Kinzie Station development, are expected to exceed $2 per sf. However, 42nd Ward Alderman Burton Natarus predicts the building eventually will become condominiums. “Eight or nine years from now, it’ll be condo,” he says.

The estimated $80-million project has been in the works since 1999, when it first won city approval. Plans also were changed last year. The most recent rendition drops 4,233 sf of retail space from the plans, and the number of parking spaces is cut from 414 to 287. Meanwhile, the building’s footprint is cut in half, to about 10,000 sf, in the revision. Regardless, city officials are anxious to see construction begin, because a one-acre park is in the plans.

“We will start construction of this building, and this park, as soon as we get the permit,” says Fifield Cos. senior vice president Alan Schachtman, telling GlobeSt.com 70% of the units will be one bedrooms. “We are rarin’ to go on this project.”

Two-bedroom units will make up 20% of the mix in the building in the 600 block of W. Kinzie Street, Schachtman says, with the remaining 10% studios. The company already owns the 274-unit 180 N. Jefferson rental building, having acquired it in 2004 for $62 million. Rents there range from $1,127 per month for studios to $3,822 for three-bedroom units.