daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1001
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I love it, but it is kind of a dwarf among giants. Also, what's with calling this "West Loop"? In my mind, West Loop is west of the river.
so I guess north of the chicago river is north loop using this logic?
This is the westside of the loop if you map it,
I think Near west side makes more sense for the area west of the loop,
the Loop isnt that big,
Its all semantics, but West Loop term for something not in the Loop
is a headscratcher but is apparently in common usage,
Wikipedia puts the borders as such river to the east, lake street to north, congress parkway to south, and halsted or ashland to the west,
personally this doesnt jive with me, and its considered part of the nearwestside.

I guess the article could have said the West side of the Loop then.
Just goes to show how confusing names can get when you start naming neigborhoods after what they are next to instead of what they are,
WestRidge instead of West Rogers Park makes Tons more sense and is the older name. For Example.
I do know about South Loop as well,
Ofcourse of North Chicago, West Chicago, East Chicago, South Chicago,

South Chicago formely known as Ainsworth
is the southernmost part of Chicago on the lake. Should have kept its former name IMHO

North Chicago is very far from Chicago and its strange to have that name
but it was named long ago so its more accepable

East Chicago always made sense to me cuz it is JUST east of Chicago,
and its very old.

West Chicago formerly known as Turner Junction,
is pretty damn west, and should have kept its former name, but hey
then we wouldnt have N/S/W/E Chicago

Ofcourse Little Chicago in Wisconsin is a joke, but hilarious
and is just an intersection inbetween Merrill and Wausau
in the middle of nowhere,

Talk about Names.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:54 AM   #1002
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I actually do pretty much think about the West Loop in terms of the Wikipedia borders, but I would put the west border at Ashland and the north border at the Metra viaduct because I tend to group the Fulton District into the larger "West Loop". West of that is West Haven (until Western Ave). All of these neighborhoods (West Loop, Fulton, West Haven) are part of the Near West Side. Then comes East Garfield Park, which is just straight-up West Side.

North of the Main Branch of the river is, of course, River North (or Streeterville further east). Between these two, starting about Huron or Erie, is the Cathedral District, which includes Rush Street.

Last edited by ardecila; June 1st, 2007 at 01:05 AM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:29 AM   #1003
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Loop, if you ask me, is from Michigan to Clinton, Congress to the River.
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #1004
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=25245

Hotel planned for North Franklin Street site

By Alby Gallun

A group led by hotel investor Peter Dumon plans to build a 295-room limited-service hotel on North Franklin Street in the Loop.

The developers are likely to run the hotel as a Marriott Courtyard Inn or a Hyatt Place, Global Hyatt Corp.’s new limited-service brand, says Mr. Dumon, president of Oakbrook Terrace-based Harp Group Inc. The group recently paid $5.7 million, or about $700 a square foot, for the 8,100-square-foot development site at 28 N. Franklin St., currently a parking lot.

“We’ll be full during the week with business travelers, and on weekends we can be a discount alternative to Michigan Avenue,” Mr. Dumon says.

Yet the scarcity of restaurants, shopping and other attractions nearby means “weekends could be tough” for the hotel, says Brian Flanagan, president of Chicago-based Property Valuation Advisors Inc.

As usual, Mr. Dumon is teaming up on the project with developers David Bossy and Michael Firsel, his partners in Crescendo Cos., a holding company the trio formed several months ago.

Downtown hotel development has picked up as hotel occupancies and room rates have surged the past couple years. Other recent limited-service hotel projects include a Hampton Inn at 22 W. Monroe St. and La Quinta Inn at 1 S. Franklin St.

Mr. Dumon’s project would rise about 24 stories and cost about $70 million. He expects that city officials will approve zoning changes for the project if the developers make a donation to the city’s affordable housing trust fund.

The development group bought the property from a land trust controlled by real estate investor George Hanus.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #1005
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=25478

Sterling Bay in deal to buy Zell building

By Thomas A. Corfman

Sterling Bay Cos. has a contract to buy 300 W. Adams St., a privately owned asset of billionaire investor Sam Zell that his father bought nearly four decades ago.

The deal comes as Sterling Bay puts up for auction its most recent acquisition, the Igoe Building, a loft office building on the edge of the West Loop acquired earlier this month.

For 300 W. Adams, the purchase price of roughly $23 million for the building is somewhat less than the minimum $25 million that had been expected, meaning that Chicago-based Sterling Bay is seemingly getting a bit of a bargain. But Mr. Zell opted for the certainty of a relatively quick sale, sources say. And he knows the condition of the 12-story structure, built in 1928, better than anyone: His father, Bernard Zell, an astute real estate investor, bought it in 1970.

Sterling Bay has already made a substantial earnest money deposit on the purchase, which is expected to close early next month, according to sources close to the transaction. The Chicago firm was apparently one of several bidders that made unsolicited offers offer on the building, prompting Mr. Zell to hire the Chicago office of real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield Inc. to formally market the property.

A spokeswoman for Mr. Zell declines to comment; an executive with Cushman & Wakefield could not be reached.

300 W. Adams wasn’t part of the sprawling portfolio of Equity Office Properties Trust, where Mr. Zell was the chairman until it was acquired earlier this year by Blackstone Group L.P. in a leveraged buyout.

Sterling Bay principal Scott Goodman declined to comment on the plans for 300 W. Adams, but the firm has traditionally focused on so-called opportunistic investments, such as buying buildings with high vacancy rates, or that require redevelopment. About 23% of the antiquated 252,000-square-foot building is vacant, according to real estate research firm CoStar Group Inc.
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #1006
spyguy
Expert

Lynn Becker has a piece on the "meet downtowns new aldermen" event yesterday.

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2007/...hovers-no.html
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1007
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

The top 15 floors of the Mid-Continental Plaza are being converted to condominiums. That portion will be reclad and balconies will be added to the building.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:21 AM   #1008
Chicagotom

Likes (Received): 0

3 towers 89 56 & 40 floors for Wolf Point

Kennedys, developer plan big Wolf Point project
(Crain’s) – A joint venture including the Kennedy family and a Texas developer aims to transform a long-vacant riverside property just west of the Merchandise Mart into a massive hotel, residential and office project anchored by an 89-story skyscraper.

read more: http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/n...25853&seenIt=1

Last edited by Chicagotom; July 31st, 2007 at 03:43 AM.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:37 AM   #1009
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!! This project has been talked about behind the scenes since Christopher Hill was commissioner of DPD back in 1999. What amazes me is that there will be THREE towers on the site.

This development will wipe out one of the most quirky post-industrial nature habitats in the central area. This area, home Samuel Millers tavern, then lumber yards with railroad spurs, then stone yards, then parking lots and weeds, ultimately gave rise to mature trees along the bank. There are huge roots shooting downward past old steel bars and rotted wooden planks, like a salad of roots, metal and wood.

The riverbank was pure nature, then cut bare for industrial use, and then allowed to revert back to nature for decades. Birds, both local and migratory stopping-over type, loved this place. I saw a beaver there about six years ago on the side near the Orleans Street Bridge. There are beaver toothmarks on many of the trees.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1010
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Holy shit this is amazing.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:45 AM   #1011
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

If people are concerned with the late-afternoon shadows from the proposed 50+ story development at Lake and Riverside, they're going to throw an absolute FIT with the 89-story tower. And owners in Riverbend are going to be uber-pissed as well, even though they have no real right to be. (want guaranteed views? go live in the Spire...)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:00 AM   #1012
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

By the way, Tom, do you have a link to that article? Per Jan's request, all Crain's articles can only be quoted partially with a link to the full article.
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:07 AM   #1013
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
If people are concerned with the late-afternoon shadows from the proposed 50+ story development at Lake and Riverside, they're going to throw an absolute FIT with the 89-story tower. And owners in Riverbend are going to be uber-pissed as well, even though they have no real right to be. (want guaranteed views? go live in the Spire...)
yeah the people in Riverbend will completely lose their views. that sucks! but they certainly aren't the only ones in the city with that problem lately.

is 89 stories 1000 feet? its gotta be close right?
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:33 AM   #1014
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

There really is not a lot of room at the Point. Isn't there an existing parking garage there now as part of the existing Holiday Inn? It is a weird shape that even at the longest point it is only 600' wide and from the river at the point of the triangle to the edge of the building to the north is only about 300'. Sounds like a job that Harry Weese might have been more experienced with than Pelli!
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:21 AM   #1015
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
There really is not a lot of room at the Point. Isn't there an existing parking garage there now as part of the existing Holiday Inn? It is a weird shape that even at the longest point it is only 600' wide and from the river at the point of the triangle to the edge of the building to the north is only about 300'. Sounds like a job that Harry Weese might have been more experienced with than Pelli!
I understand your tongue-in-cheek suggestion that one of Harry Weese's triangular buildings would be able to fit the site's footprint. However, I have to point one a bit of irony.

Specifically, Harry Weese himself sketched a plan for the downtown area several decades ago. On that sketch he indicated that the Wolf Point parcel (the one that we're talking about here) should be a park!
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:44 AM   #1016
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
By the way, Tom, do you have a link to that article? Per Jan's request, all Crain's articles can only be quoted partially with a link to the full article.
Thanks i_am_hydrogen, I put a link in with the 1st paragraph.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:34 AM   #1017
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearNorthGuy View Post
Specifically, Harry Weese himself sketched a plan for the downtown area several decades ago. On that sketch he indicated that the Wolf Point parcel (the one that we're talking about here) should be a park!
Haha... that is great. You would think he would look at that site as a blank canvas!
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:06 AM   #1018
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:17 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM   #1019
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

NIMBY's want tall and thin? At long last, they've seen the light!

Looking to beef up apartments
REAL ESTATE | Near North renters might be getting ritzy room service

August 1, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER [email protected]
In today's residential market, developers need to stand out from the crowd. James Letchinger, president of JDL Development Corp., might do that by chasing a unique customer base: renters who eat meat.
Especially those hungry for steaks at Gene & Georgetti's, 500 N. Franklin. Letchinger has a deal with the restaurant's owner, Tony Durpetti, to buy property on the block east of the restaurant and put up an apartment building. One amenity under consideration, he said, is letting the renters call Gene's for room service.......

More at link below, but I just had to post this interesting excerpt from the article:

Letchinger said negotiations with the community have brought about several design improvements to the apartment tower. He wouldn't get into specifics, but said groups have asked for a tall, lean design rather than something that sprawls over every available square foot.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder01.article

PDNA, are you reading this?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #1020
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=25983

Reschke refinances Roanoke Building ahead of renovation

By Eddie Baeb
Aug. 10, 2007

Chicago developer Michael Reschke has refinanced a vintage LaSalle Street office building as he prepares for a $25-million renovation of the 35-story tower that was recently designated by the city as a landmark.