daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2007, 01:09 AM   #1081
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

3000 feet seems ridiculous.

My God...
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:24 AM   #1082
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
3000 feet seems ridiculous.

My God...
Yeah... Chicago isn't Dubai. I dunno about y'all, but I really don't care anymore about having the WTB title. It's getting to the point where WTBs look ungainly just because of their ridiculous height.

Chicago needs to focus more on having a uniformly dense, walkable, vibrant street-level experience. In that respect, a 3000-foot building doesn't do anything that a 30-story building can't.

Streetwalls over supertalls....
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM   #1083
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

ya that about sums it up.

although if they brought the height down just 1,200 feet it wud be alright with me
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:38 AM   #1084
Titan 3

Likes (Received): 0

Let's put this thing in the empty parking lot between the ymca and 1 w. superior. That should help compensate for all the beige buildings in river north!
Titan 3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM   #1085
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

Just make another 2,000 footer or two
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM   #1086
TMitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah... Chicago isn't Dubai. I dunno about y'all, but I really don't care anymore about having the WTB title. It's getting to the point where WTBs look ungainly just because of their ridiculous height.

Chicago needs to focus more on having a uniformly dense, walkable, vibrant street-level experience. In that respect, a 3000-foot building doesn't do anything that a 30-story building can't.

Streetwalls over supertalls....
I'm with you. The WTB title is something I don't care about anymore, it was when the Sears Tower got beat though. I just think Chicago will look great at this point when all the current buildings are finished. Can't wait.
TMitch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:11 AM   #1087
ChicagoNight

Likes (Received): 4

whether we want it or not, i think chicago is the more likely canditate for it instead of Houston...

Houston isnt even dense, its only 4th largest city because its land area is BIG. Dallas/Fort Worth is a much larger metropolitan area. but thats a whole other story...

and hey, if it looks nice, build it. seems kinda prejudiced to dismiss it without even looking at it..
ChicagoNight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:21 AM   #1088
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNight View Post
whether we want it or not, i think chicago is the more likely canditate for it instead of Houston...

Houston isnt even dense, its only 4th largest city because its land area is BIG. Dallas/Fort Worth is a much larger metropolitan area. but thats a whole other story...

and hey, if it looks nice, build it. seems kinda prejudiced to dismiss it without even looking at it..
very true .no offense to houston, but a 3000 fter would look way to out of place. hell, it would almost look out of place in chicago.

soon we get to talk about looking down on the spire.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:57 AM   #1089
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

seems like a pipe dream to me - i realy dont see this happening. i reserve judgment , however, untill i see a rendering and a location . if done correctly, even a 3000 footer stands a chance to realy enhance the skyline. forget about the wtb title , that doesent mean anything anymore, but this could very well be anice addition . if done right,then why not?
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:05 PM   #1090
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Re: The potential 3,000 footer... With so little to go on at this point, I don't think it warrants a separate thread. Therefore, I've moved the posts from that thread to this one.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1091
i_am_hydrogen
muted

AMLI 900 - Taken 9/28
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM   #1092
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Wow 3000 ft!!! I would rather have 2x 1500 footer or even better 3x 1000 footers. What are the odds of this monster getting built? What's next a 3500 ft? 4000 ft?
Second City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM   #1093
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second City View Post
Wow 3000 ft!!! I would rather have 2x 1500 footer or even better 3x 1000 footers. What are the odds of this monster getting built? What's next a 3500 ft? 4000 ft?
Until there is a location and a rendering, I wouldn't waste any more time worrying about this.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM   #1094
Second City
Loyola University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
Until there is a location and a rendering, I wouldn't waste any more time worrying about this.
True, True.
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1095
Chi_Coruscant

http://www.suntimes.com/business/599...ears12.article

"The owners of Sears Tower are preparing a plan for City Hall's review that calls for giving the building an environmentally oriented renovation and a new high-rise neighbor in hopes of boosting their returns on the property."

It is interesting to note that Adrian Smith has been tapped as an architect for that project.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1096
Second City
Loyola University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/business/599...ears12.article

"The owners of Sears Tower are preparing a plan for City Hall's review that calls for giving the building an environmentally oriented renovation and a new high-rise neighbor in hopes of boosting their returns on the property."

It is interesting to note that Adrian Smith has been tapped as an architect for that project.
Wait, if there are a lot of empty office spaces in the sears...then why build a office tower next door? I mean I'm all for it but is it really necessary?
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #1097
i_am_hydrogen
muted

The fire escapes and coverings thereof have been completely removed from the Palmer House Hilton.
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #1098
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second City View Post
Wait, if there are a lot of empty office spaces in the sears...then why build a office tower next door? I mean I'm all for it but is it really necessary?
My guess is that while it would make vacancy rates in the southwest corner of the Loop even higher, for the short term, it would help make that area more vibrant/viable and thus help lower vacancy rates in the long term....especially with the help of having more hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity, which is an attractive quality for businesses who are entertaining clients or for their coworkers from other cities in town for meetings.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1099
Second City
Loyola University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
My guess is that while it would make vacancy rates in the southwest corner of the Loop even higher, for the short term, it would help make that area more vibrant/viable and thus help lower vacancy rates in the long term....especially with the help of having more hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity, which is an attractive quality for businesses who are entertaining clients or for their coworkers from other cities in town for meetings.
Here's to hoping.
I wonder how tall this bad boy would be?
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #1100
InTheValley

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
The fire escapes and coverings thereof have been completely removed from the Palmer House Hilton.

Hydrogen, I am glad that they are gone it was such an eye sore. I am sure that anything that they do there will make an improvement

Thank you for the update......
InTheValley no está en línea   Reply With Quote