daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #1101
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

From SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The Tribune has an image of this Sears addition

Looks to be about ~55-60 floors
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #1102
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Sears Tower may get sibling
Owners mull hotel, retail structure
By Susan Diesenhouse | Tribune staff reporter
October 13, 2007

The owners of the Sears Tower, pushing to fill its empty office space, have a possible strategy to boost the building's financial performance: Build another tower on its 3-acre site.

One scenario for a possible companion to the nation's tallest skyscraper now informally making its way around Chicago City Hall is a hotel and retail structure designed by Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill Architecture.

Smith, who recently formed the firm, which focuses on sustainable buildings, was a longtime principal.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6270903.story
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #1103
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Too many to shake a stick at

Oct 14

Last edited by harryc; October 15th, 2007 at 12:42 PM.
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #1104
Phoenix10123

Likes (Received): 1

Im Just looking at the Sears addition i don't think that looks good at all. The Addition, to me os a nice building and would go better on its own.
Phoenix10123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #1105
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

First, the Clean Technology Tower
Building on principles of biomimicry, Clean Technology Tower utilizes advanced technologies and climate-appropriate building systems to foster a symbiotic relationship with its local environment. The tower is sited and formed to harness the power of natural forces at its site- but it refines the conventional methods of capturing those natural forces to significantly increase efficiency. Wind turbines are located at the building’s corners to capture wind at its highest velocity as it accelerates around the tower. The turbines become increasingly dense as the tower ascends and wind speeds increase. At the apex, where wind speeds are at a maximum, a domed double roof cavity captures air, allowing for a large wind farm and the use of negative pressures to ventilate the interior spaces. The dome itself is shaded by photovoltaic cells that capture the southern sun. These systems provide both comfort and energy to the space.

The complex includes over 1.8 million square feet of office space as well as a 300,000 square foot hotel, a spa and street-level retail. Dedicated elevators will provide access for both office and hotel tenants to all of the tower’s amenities.

An adjacent grand plaza and park enhances the tower’s relationship with the surrounding neighborhood and provides a public gathering space for tenants. The plaza also complements an existing adjacent winter garden and strengthens the connection between the existing retail and the new tower.

The tower is easily accessible via both public and private transportation. Hotel and office lobbies have dedicated street entrances and vehicle pick-up and drop-off locations. Service access to the building and parking are available below grade.

The tower affords tenants unparalleled views of the city, the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. Office space will be located on high floors to maximize available views and take advantage of the direct natural daylight. The tower’s domed top offers unrestricted skyward views, creating a truly modern, grand atrium space.

Also, this weird Eco-Bridge project (most likely visionary)

Last edited by spyguy; October 16th, 2007 at 05:57 AM.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #1106
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Wow that looks really cool. Do you know how tall it is supposed to be?
And as a side note what's that second picture about?
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #1107
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Okay, some background on those things that spyguy did not mention.

Both are projects that are found on the website of Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill.

Judging by the description and the rendering, the Clean Technology Tower seems to be sited for the parking lot next to 311 South Wacker. The streets in the rendering match Wacker's angles, and the description refers to an existing adjacent winter garden and plaza. The teardrop shape of the building also conforms to the shape of the parking lot.

The Eco-Bridge, I believe, is just a vision to help stuff Smith+Gill's portfolio, since they only formed 9 months ago. It is based off of an idea for a landscaped breakwater, originally from Burnham's Plan of Chicago.

The online portfolio also includes a listing for the Franklin Point project, but apparently the specific webpage for that has not yet been created. Keep checking, folks - this could get awesome.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #1108
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:

Also, this weird Eco-Bridge project

I like it.
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #1109
aliendroid

If chicago builds this eco-bridge and after all the new supertalls are done, then chicago will be america's most bad-ass city without a doubt. Maybe not the largest, NYC will keep that title for a while, but chicago will fly by New York in green-ness and cool-ness.
aliendroid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #1110
Second City
Loyola University

I really hope both of these projects get built! That would be amazing. But I think the eco bridge will only get built if we get the olympics because on their website they said that it would enhance the Olympic bid... etc.

I hope I'm wrong but this would be one amazing project!
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #1111
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

The Eco-Bridge needs to be built regardless of the Olympics or not. Is there a link with that picture somewhere?
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #1112
aliendroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second City View Post
I really hope both of these projects get built! That would be amazing. But I think the eco bridge will only get built if we get the olympics because on their website they said that it would enhance the Olympic bid... etc.

I hope I'm wrong but this would be one amazing project!
If it is planned to enhance the bid, why would they build it after getting the bid, I figured they'd have to build it first to inhance the bid, then when the bid has been inhanced they stand a better chance of getting it.
aliendroid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #1113
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Apparently, that's an observation tower out there in the middle of the lake. They also mention it would be a great place to put the Olympic flame.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #1114
Second City
Loyola University

Yea and the way that it would enhance the bid is the proposal of the thing. It will add to the Olympic plans. I hope it gets build regardless but that's what I think is going to happen.
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #1115
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
Apparently, that's an observation tower out there in the middle of the lake. They also mention it would be a great place to put the Olympic flame.
That would be PERFECT if Soldier Field could host the opening/closing cermonies since its right there. Imagine how cool that would be to light that bitch seen from SF. Washington Park may be a little too far away from the flame.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #1116
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Last updated: October 17, 2007 07:01am
Fifield To Start Apartments at $750M Project

K Station

CHICAGO-Fifield Cos., based here, is starting construction this month on a total of 857 apartment units in two towers, at 555 W. Kinzie and 365 N. Jefferson, as part of its K Station development. The project will have a total of 2,400 units when completed in the area bordered by Kinzie, Clinton, Halsted and Wayman streets and is expected to have a total value of $750 million, Cavenaugh says. The two towers are being developed in a joint partnership with Pacific Life Insurance Co., headquartered in Newport Beach, CA.
http://www.globest.com/news/1015_101.../165185-1.html
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #1117
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

41 and 37 stories, not bad for the height. Design doesnt look too great though, wish they could use some different colors or something, but I guess they're just apartments.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #1118
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...age.pl?id=2166

Chicago — South Wacker Mixed-Use Building, S. Wacker Dr., 550-room hotel mixed-use development, September 2008, $135 million.

Chicago — Wabash Ave. Office Building Conversion, 203 N. Wabash Ave., 186,000-sq.-ft. hotel conversion, October 2008, $105 million.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #1119
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

^ Hey Spyguy, the New Yorker II and Evanston Fountain Square are listed in that compilation also.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1120
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:

Also, this weird Eco-Bridge project (most likely visionary)

damn those wind turbines are cool!

also that eco-bridge is just awesome! it looks like you can walk along it so imagine walking along and looking back at downtown Chicago with the Chicago spire towering in front of you...amazing to say the least.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote