daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1121
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

oops...double post
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1122
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
damn those wind turbines are cool!

also that eco-bridge is just awesome! it looks like you can walk along it so imagine walking along and looking back at downtown Chicago with the Chicago spire towering in front of you...amazing to say the least.
I am so sold on that thing, its awesome. throw a jogging path on there too. how cool would that be.
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #1123
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

I know...I'm so jealous of you guys in Chicago.
I'd move there in a heartbeat if I didn't have ties here...
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #1124
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

A case drilling rig is being delivered to the site next to the AMA building on State.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #1125
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=26821

BP considering West Loop sites for new tower
Oct. 18, 2007
By Eddie Baeb

Real estate sources say BP, which had been considering whether it would consolidate its suburban Chicago jobs in Houston or downtown, has been looking for about 350,000 to 400,000 square feet of office space. BP requires floors as large as 50,000 square feet to accommodate its trading operations, those sources say.

In the last couple months, BP has had presentations on at least three prospective sites, including:

* 601-625 W. Monroe St., a site between Jefferson and Des Plaines streets that’s controlled by Chicago-based Fifield Cos.
* 645 W. Madison St., between Des Plaines Street and Interstate 90-94. The site is controlled by MR Properties LLC.
* 240 W. Randolph St., the site of a Walgreens store and parking lot at the northeast corner of Randolph and Franklin streets. Chicago developer John Buck Co. has an option to acquire the property.

------------------

As BP is in the energy biz, it would make sense for them to want a very eco-friendly tower like that Destefano proposal BVictor showed us a few weeks ago.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #1126
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Or one of Smith & Gill's
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #1127
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Well either way it sounds like they will be anchoring a new building and more parking lots will be gone. I forget is the 240 W. Randolph St. they are talking about the proposal that was talked about when 155 N.wacker came about that also included a plaza that some didn't take to?

Quote:
Er... John Buck planned a plaza for the 245 W. Randolph site, instead of a building. Of course, if BP were interested in working with Buck to build a tower, I'm sure they'd drop their plaza idea in a heartbeat.
The render I am talking about had a tower with a plaza not a plaza without a tower. The render just showed the base though.

Last edited by nomarandlee; October 19th, 2007 at 05:37 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #1128
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I forget is the 240 W. Randolph St. they are talking about the proposal that was talked about when 155 N.wacker came about that also included a plaza that some didn't take to?
Er... John Buck planned a plaza for the 245 W. Randolph site, instead of a building. Of course, if BP were interested in working with Buck to build a tower, I'm sure they'd drop their plaza idea in a heartbeat.

I personally hope they choose the 645 West Madison site. I'm sick and tired of all the surface lots along the Kennedy.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #1129
Lukecuj

Likes (Received): 0

Good news about BP. Sucks that they are reducing there overall Chicago workforce, but, another sign that the major corps are heading DT in order to recruit young talent. The burb interstate office parks are turnoffs to many young professionals.
Lukecuj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 02:40 AM   #1130
ChicagoSchool

First noticed today - the CTA 'L' tracks on Wabash are getting a long overdue makeover: Maroon paintjob, which finally matches the look of the beautiful downtown river bridges.

The beige L tracks meeting the maroon bridges has been an outright heinous sight!

Last edited by ChicagoSchool; October 21st, 2007 at 10:41 PM.
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:53 AM   #1131
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The plan was/is (from W to E): 155 N Wacker, plaza, Franklin St, mirror plaza, future Buck office tower.
Old October 21st, 2007, 07:43 AM   #1132
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

spyguy didn't you have a render of the massing of the building showing from the Kennedy view? If it was you and you still have it can you post it again?
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #1133
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Since this will soon become a paid article, I'll just tell you right now that there aren't too many interesting details beyond the first two paragraphs. This is the same company that runs the Allegro, the Burnham, and soon will operate the new Palomar in River North.

Kimpton to convert building to boutique hotel
Oct. 24, 2007
By Alby Gallun

(Crain’s) — Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants plans to convert a 27-story vintage office building in the East Loop into a boutique hotel with about 220 rooms.

The San Francisco-based boutique hotel chain has agreed to buy the 186,000-square-foot building at 203 N. Wabash Ave., which sits just south of the Hotel Monaco, a Kimpton-run property. Kimpton emerged as the buyer after Denver-based hotel developer Sage Hospitality Resources LLC backed out of a contract to buy the property, say people familiar with the transactions.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...10-24&id=26865
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1134
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

^ I think Mr. Downtown has to fiind new office space.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1135
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^So will the law firm my friend works for. First, they were booted out of 188 W. Randolph and now this.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #1136
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I'm on the board of a nonprofit housed at 203 N. Wabash. Our lease runs through May 2010.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:44 AM   #1137
skybuzz

I don't know if there's already a thread for this, but the redesign of 401 S. Wacker looks amazing!!

I love the qoute: "Now we have a design that is worthy of a Wacker Drive address."

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=26947
skybuzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:48 AM   #1138
skybuzz

Down with parking lots!!!
skybuzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #1139
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=27120

School moving Chicago campus, HQ to Michigan Avenue
By Eddie Baeb

Argosy University is moving its Chicago campus and headquarters to Michigan Plaza, where the school has leased about 71,000 square feet on two levels.

The university, which was formed in 2001 by a merger of the Chicago-based American School of Professional Psychology with two other colleges, plans to start moving some offices in the summer to the two-tower complex at 205-225 N. Michigan Ave. and begin holding classes there in the fall.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #1140
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=27115

Developer to buy Michigan Avenue site
By Alby Gallun

Mr. Warman signed a contract over the summer to buy the 16,000-square-foot site at 300-310 N. Michigan Ave., currently home to a Walgreen’s, Radio Shack and Subway restaurant, according to people familiar with the transaction. An exact price could not be determined, but one source estimated it in the $30-million range, slightly less than the $32 million that Miami-based Peebles Corp. agreed to pay for the property last spring.

But the two dropped the idea, deciding that the recent credit crunch would make it tough to secure financing for the project, says Mr. Roti, who still plans to convert the Motor Club into a 300-room hotel.