daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #1161
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Did anyone notice the horrid United Airlines logo on top of the old R.R. Donnelley building? I'm not sure how long it's been there, but, I just noticed it for the first time about two weeks ago.

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #1162
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Appeared in late summer, I think. And now the CNA logo on Big Red. I think it looks bush-league. Many posts on this subject on page 58.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #1163
Chicagotom

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah I think UAL official move was in September.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #1164
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

AMLI 900, taken 1/4
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #1165
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Library Tower and One Place are also visible in the photo. I had no idea Library Tower was topped out!
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #1166
InTheValley

Likes (Received): 1

Change ahead for ex-News site?
By Susan Diesenhouse | Tribune staff reporter
January 10, 2008
Article tools

Billionaire Sam Zell, who has made a fortune investing in real estate and many other industries worldwide, has never developed a new office building in downtown Chicago. But if he moves ahead on one plan he is considering here he could face a fiery reaction.

Zell, chairman of Equity Group Investments LLC, is investigating the feasibility of building an office tower overlooking the Chicago River on a property he owns at 2 N. Riverside Plaza, Crain's Chicago Business reported Wednesday.

The waterfront parcel includes an Art Deco office building that has long served as Zell's headquarters and an adjacent pedestrian plaza that runs along the river.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6757307.story
InTheValley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #1167
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Don't ask Sam Zell to be your interior decorator. He (or his minions) took down the massive, stunning mural that stretched along the ceiling in the Daily News pedestrian passageway. Train commuters had a grand walk through this concourse with that great work of art on the ceiling. Rather than restore it, Zell had it removed and packed into a warehouse. What a travesty.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #1168
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I'd be shocked if he actually managed to get approval for knocking this building down. I don't see it happening.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1169
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

They're not going to knock the old building down. They're just going to ruin the plaza along the river by trying to squeeze in a new tower.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #1170
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1447

Umm, I worked in that building for the past 6 years. How in gods name are they going to squeeze a highrise on that plaza? It's not THAT big. It's also built over a bunch of railroad tracks, seems like a strange place to try and put a new buiding up. What about the empty lots across the river by the loop????
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #1171
InTheValley

Nimby's at it again.......

Preservationists raise flag about plans for second McCormick convention hotel
By Kathy Bergen | Tribune staff reporter

Plans to build a second convention hotel near McCormick Place may run into a wall--a historically significant red brick wall, to be exact--as preservationists are raising a red flag about the potential loss of the 1912 American Book Company building on the proposed site.

The loft building with its tapered tower, designed by N. Max Dunning, made Preservation Chicago's list of seven "most threatened" properties this week, following a proposal last month to build a hotel with at least 1,000 rooms, along with some retail and residential units, on the 3.7-acre site across Cermak Road from the convention center's new West Building addition

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4167998.story
InTheValley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #1172
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

NIMBYs? This building actually IS worth saving. Most people on this board support the preservation of the building. Of course, we're not against the hotel as long as they DO preserve the building.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #1173
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

IBM landmarking approved, sort of

City Council Landmark Committee approved landmarking the IBM Building yesterday:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/7...012808.article

"But, Landmarks Chairman Anthony Beale (9th) said he intends to hold the matter in committee, either until union leaders come to terms with developer John Rutledge or until Rutledge agrees in writing that the 335-room luxury hotel he intends to build on floors 2 through 14 will be unionized."
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1174
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

That's the first time that I've heard Preservation Chicago called "NIMBY's."

Actually, there are NIMBY groups who have approached Preservation Chicago for help with anti-high-rise causes. Preservation Chicago always tells them "No," not unless there is a significant historic building at stake.

With the American Book Company building, that building must be preserved. It is a solid red-brick building with limestone trim and a very nice central tower. It forms a great partner to the massive old RR Donelly building and the adjacent Platt Luggage facade. These other two buildings are also red-brick with limestone trim.

The American Book Company can be saved and a the Alter Group can build a tall hotel tower immediately to the north. If Alter Group doesn't want to do the reuse work (e.g., conversion to a boutique hotel would be one option) on the American Book Company building, then they can sell that portion of the site to someone else.

By the way, with the American Book Company building saved, the views-to-the-south from the Alter Hotel tower would be permanently clear.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #1175
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

Plan to fill the void on Mich. Ave.
By Eddie Baeb and Thomas A. Corfman February 25, 2008

An influential panel wants to tax Michigan Avenue property owners between the Chicago River and Millennium Park to pay for $165 million in streetscape improvements on that dreary stretch of boulevard.

A group of architects, urban planners and retail experts will this week introduce a plan to liven up the strip, where T-shirt shops and empty storefronts stand in stark contrast to the gleaming Millennium Park on one end and the Magnificent Mile on the other.

The panel, co-sponsored by the Chicago Loop Alliance, the city's Department of Planning and Development and Alderman Brendan Reilly's office (42nd), is proposing the city build two sets of landscaped, ornamental steps leading from Michigan Avenue to the Illinois Center office complex, as "a modern adaptation of the Spanish Steps in Rome," according to a draft report obtained by Crain's.

©2008 by Crain Communications Inc.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/mag/article.pl?articleId=29316

Is the area really that bad?

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; February 25th, 2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: When posting news articles, please post only an excerpt, not the entire article.
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #1176
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

That section of Michigan is no worse than the rest of the Loop, but it doesn't even come close to matching the urban grandeur on the Mag Mile and in Millennium Park. I wouldn't consider it an embarrassment by any means, but it has ups and downs (Hard Rock Hotel/Moonstruck good, 7-11/CVS bad).

Personally, I think the city should concentrate on getting high-end retailers to occupy the spaces that are already there, before demolishing space.

As for the Spanish Steps - the people that go into Illinois Center are office workers who will go to their buildings regardless of whether there is a grand entrance or not. It might be appealing for tourists, but not as appealing as heated underground passageways (oh, yeah - those already EXIST). The upper street levels of Illinois Center are quite windswept and unpleasant in cold or rainy weather, anyway, and the pedway would be much less confusing with a decent, unified signage system, and a unified management of the passageways that didn't lock random doors at 7 pm and effectively shut down whole sections.
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #1177
Chicago3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That section of Michigan is no worse than the rest of the Loop, but it doesn't even come close to matching the urban grandeur on the Mag Mile and in Millennium Park. I wouldn't consider it an embarrassment by any means, but it has ups and downs (Hard Rock Hotel/Moonstruck good, 7-11/CVS bad).

Personally, I think the city should concentrate on getting high-end retailers to occupy the spaces that are already there, before demolishing space.

As for the Spanish Steps - the people that go into Illinois Center are office workers who will go to their buildings regardless of whether there is a grand entrance or not. It might be appealing for tourists, but not as appealing as heated underground passageways (oh, yeah - those already EXIST). The upper street levels of Illinois Center are quite windswept and unpleasant in cold or rainy weather, anyway, and the pedway would be much less confusing with a decent, unified signage system, and a unified management of the passageways that didn't lock random doors at 7 pm and effectively shut down whole sections.
I guess I don't get why having things high end is always the only way to qualify something as successful. CVS and 7 Eleven are needed in that area...sure I would take a little local convenience store over a national change..but most thriving areas have the day to day stores...even North Michigan AVenue has two Walgreens.

The area needs a hook...to draw people to it.....and to make it a vital pedestrian hub (we know there are fricken too many cars there as it is..another example how cars are never the solution) so the Spanish steps seem like a great idea. Extending Lake isn't...unless they do it on the lower or middle level.
Chicago3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1178
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

To me I don't really find this part of Michigan Ave that bad. It feels darker probably because it is more dense than the rest of the street. The buildings are more compact and people and cars are everywhere.

I happen to prefer this part of Michigan Ave. It's the real city part. It reminds me of every street in the Loop. Cleaning it up for tourists doesn't help the Loop community who use the services of this three block stretch.

Screw the Spanish Steps... Spend our tax dollars on our crumbling public transport or terrible public education. Tourist only pay attention to Millennium Park and the Mag Mile... who cares if there are Spanish Steps located in the most urban part of Michigan Ave?
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #1179
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

CDOT is doing the signage for the Pedway. Hopefully, it is far less confusing than now.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #1180
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

That's good to hear. Do you know if the signage upgrade include the privately-owned sections in Illinois Center, especially though the Hyatt Regency?