daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #1181
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

They're already in the middle of renovating the main entrance to Illinois Center, so I doubt the steps would go there. Not sure where else they would put a bunch of fancy schmancy steps.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #1182
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Whatever they do, I hope it enhances the transition from Michigan Ave to the New Eastside neighborhood. I go to the gym there every night (well, most nights....ok, some nights) and it seems like there is a huge seperation between the two. With such a booming residential area popping up right off of Michigan Ave, it should be a very lively stretch. Restaurants and retail should be going out of their minds to get in there (when the economy picks up again).
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #1183
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

There are already tons of restaurants between Michigan and LSE, but many are buried inside Illinois Center and (I think) only open for the weekday business crowd.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:52 AM   #1184
creil

Aria, The Palm, Stetson's, Grill on the Park, Typhoon and maybe some little fast food joints. Not much for such a vast expanse of high-income residential. There should be a much more active evening scene.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM   #1185
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...rticleId=29477

Loop hotel plan locks up funding
By: Eddie Baeb March 24, 2008

Local developer Michael Reschke has secured $395 million in financing to convert a landmark office building at 208 S. LaSalle St. into the largest hotel in Chicago's central Loop.

The financing, confirmed by Mr. Reschke last week, will fund a 610-room luxury hotel operated by J. W. Marriott, a more upscale brand in the Marriott line.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1186
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

There was a soil boring truck in Pritzker Park Wednesday and surveyors working around it this morning.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #1187
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
There was a soil boring truck in Pritzker Park Wednesday and surveyors working around it this morning.
why?
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1188
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Now that you mention it, I did see that on my way to the library this morning.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #1189
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=29419

Panel OKs big jump in subsidy for Loop project
By Alby Gallun, May 14, 2008

Facing ballooning construction costs, a Michigan developer that wants to convert a 45-story landmark Loop office building into apartments has asked the city for another $12 million to help finance the project, which would more than double the original subsidy.

The Chicago Community Development Commission on Tuesday approved (tk) $20 million in tax-increment financing (TIF) for the proposed project at 188 W. Randolph St., a dilapidated Gothic Revival office tower built in 1930. Farmington Hills, Mich.-based Village Green Cos. wants to redevelop the building into 313 apartments, 20% of them affordable to lower-income residents.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:10 AM   #1190
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Gourmet grocer coming to former Carson Pirie Scott & Co. building on State Street

by Blair Kamin
May 20, 2008

This could be great for State Street. It could also mar Louis Sullivan's landmark Carson Pirie Scott & Co. building if design issues are not sensitively handled.

'm referring to the announcement today by developer Joseph Freed and Associates that it's signed up three tenants, including gourmet grocer Fox & Obel, for the building, now called the Sullivan Center, at 1 S. State Street. The other tenants are the Flat Top Grill and an Australian retailer.

For State Street, this sounds like fabulous news.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....et-grocer.html
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #1191
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Pritzker Park

Chicago Loop Alliance says work will begin "later this year" on a revamped Pritzker Park. The improvements certainly don't look that much superior to what was there before it was closed and the old landscaping removed. However, I see that it's now under Park District control, apparently. I can't help wondering if this is deliberately to head off talk of putting the Children's Museum there.

Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #1192
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Damn. I was hoping to see this site redeveloped. No amount of landscaping can transform this utterly joyless piece of land into a bona fide park. It has too many strikes against it.
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #1193
ChicagoSchool

Likes (Received): 0

<<It has too many strikes against it.>>

agreed, and too many pigeons. And too many homeless guys drinking out of paper bags

Also, John Marshall Law must've ruled this location out for their expansion. About 8 months ago, they announced exploring of expansion options
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #1194
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
<<It has too many strikes against it.>>

agreed, and too many pigeons. And too many homeless guys drinking out of paper bags
And a very loud el station. And one of the most hideous parking structures in the city. Even if permission is given to grow vines on its facade, that would only provide a solution for about half of the year. A better idea would be to construct a large wall to cover it up and then allow local artists to paint murals and such.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #1195
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,3801229.story

City hikes TIF aid for 188 W. Randolph
By Jeanette Almada
June 8, 2008

Redevelopment of a 45-story downtown office building to mixed-use with apartments, retail and office space has gotten a $20 million tax-increment financing shot in the arm.
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #1196
Abner

Likes (Received): 0

Wait a second, doesn't that plan for Pritzker "Park" rip out the existing semi-mature trees for concrete paving? Are they actually stupid enough to tear out the only thing on the whole plot that isn't hideously depressing? And the "plan" still involves chain link fencing at the alley?
Abner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #1197
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

Last night they took down the "Water Tower Place" sign on the southeast corner of the building. It was kind of funny seeing all those letters lined up on the sidewalk looking like with a little help they might spell out a giant rude word.

Is a name change in the works for Water Tower Place, or are they just updating the signage to something from this century?
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM   #1198
InTheValley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Last updated: October 17, 2007 07:01am
Fifield To Start Apartments at $750M Project

K Station

CHICAGO-Fifield Cos., based here, is starting construction this month on a total of 857 apartment units in two towers, at 555 W. Kinzie and 365 N. Jefferson, as part of its K Station development. The project will have a total of 2,400 units when completed in the area bordered by Kinzie, Clinton, Halsted and Wayman streets and is expected to have a total value of $750 million, Cavenaugh says. The two towers are being developed in a joint partnership with Pacific Life Insurance Co., headquartered in Newport Beach, CA.
http://www.globest.com/news/1015_101.../165185-1.html

These 2 towers are finally out of the ground and the playground across the street is also finished....it looks 100% better than it use to.....
InTheValley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #1199
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

MetraMarket: time to pull plug on idea?

Now that Block 37 is well on the way to completion, I can't think of a Chicago project that has been more "on hold" than MetraMarket. I went to their website (http://www.usequities.com/metramarket/) which still lists for "latest news" a cafe that will open in "late 2007".

Over the years, they talk about a vender here and a vender there opening, but nothing happens. These merchants must be awfully patient if anyone seriously believes they are going to stick it out.

What gives? Here's a structure (at Ogilvie) that is already built, just needed the cost of renovation of the space and nothing happens and we don't hear a thing about it.

Are the developers still out there and if so, is their only cost maintaining a 3 year out-of-date website?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Sure the economy is tough now, but that was hardly the case during the eons this place was announced but never opened. Every major city has a quality major market with stalls, I believe, except Chicago. Our neighbors to the north run rings around us with the Milw Public Market. This project, especially with the two huge Metra stations and key CTA links along with huge wealthy office and residential workers all around is a no brainer. What gives?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #1200
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I see no reason to pull the plug on the project. A delay is a delay, but ultimately I think it's a fantastic idea. Truth is, the city has invested much more time/energy & publicity on Block 37. Perhaps when Block 37 is completed, and if it's successful, there will be a larger focus/effort on Metra Market.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote