daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #1241
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

JW Marriott conversion
http://www.jwmarriottchicago.com/

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #1242
skybuzz

Likes (Received): 0

THAT IS AWESOME!!!

What a phenomenal use of that building!
skybuzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #1243
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

That will bring some much needed nite life to so. lasalle st.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #1244
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Upper floors of the Park Monroe are well into their facade replacement. It's a big difference, but can't yet tell if it will be an improvement or not.

(taken on a rainy day, through a window, with a cell phone):

Last edited by Flubnut; October 15th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1245
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=31498

Dorm developer doubles down in East Loop
By Alby Gallun, Oct. 22, 2008

The owner of a new 456-bed dormitory in the East Loop wants to pack another 1,221 students into a planned 37-story high-rise next door.

A joint venture including Chicago-based real estate investment firms L&H Real Estate Group and Brownstone Realty & Development Co. has asked the city to approve a zoning change that would allow the new dorm at 51-67 E. Van Buren St.

...They aim to complete the tower by the beginning of the 2011 academic year, meaning they would break ground sometime in late 2009 or early 2010.

Mr. O’Leary declines to disclose the cost of the building, which is being designed by Chicago-based architecture firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:18 AM   #1246
spyguy
Expert

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....hite.html#more

Chicago Architecture Foundation: New details in its search for a new home
Blair Kamin
October 22, 2008

...Her dream is for the foundation to own--and design--its own home. And that home might be 50,000 square feet, versus the 20,000 square feet the CAF now has at 224 S. Michigan, a historic skyscrapaper designed by D.H. Burnham & co. That would allow more space for classrooms and youth education programs, as well as a sexy new, interpretive model of the city.
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #1247
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Pritzker Park, at South State and the El, is under construction. Entire site has been dug up and they are already working on the "sitting walls."

Link to renders a few pages back: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1191
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1248
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=32043

Charter high school to open in Loop
By Eddie Baeb, Dec. 03, 2008

Noble Network of Charter Schools will open Muchin College Prep next August at 1 N. State St., the former Wieboldt’s Building, with an incoming freshman class of about 175 students.

Muchin will be the first high school in the Loop, where the population of college students and dormitories has been expanding in recent years, and the eighth campus for Noble. By its fourth year, when there are four grade levels, Muchin will probably have about 550 to 700 students.

...Noble Network signed a 20-year lease for 67,000 square feet at 1 N. State, the entire seventh floor including a mezzanine level. In addition to the new school, the space will accommodate Noble Network’s administrative offices and a cafeteria that will prepare meals for students at Muchin and most other Noble campuses.
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #1249
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Fire escapes are considered "historic additions" by preservationists.

I too would prefer to see them go when buildings are renovated. One beef I have with them is that the anchor points for the fire escape structures are prime culprits for facade damage in historic buildings. The iron rusts and swells, which causes the adjacent brick and terra-cotta to basically explode around the anchor points. This allows moisture into the cavity behind the face finishes and rots out the entire tier of facade work.

To painstakingly restore a building and then allow this process to occur repeatedly is foolish in my opinion.
If a fire escape as something like ornate iron work I can sort of understand that, but basic fire escapes are eyesores.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1250
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Posted at SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...velt24.article

Roosevelt U. plans new Loop tower
EDUCATION | Wants to build $130 million dorm, student facility at Crown Center location

March 24, 2009
BY FRAN SPIELMAN

Loop University -- the nickname for a downtown Chicago area that 60,000 college students call home -- is getting a $130 million addition that will make it even more of a college town.

Roosevelt University has filed a zoning application to build an academic and student center that will double -- to roughly 640 beds -- the dormitory space once available at the Herman Crown Center it will replace at 421-25 S. Wabash.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:39 PM   #1251
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

City plans $15.5B in downtown projects

March 31, 2009
BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN

A draft of Chicago's plans for the city's central area through 2020 calls for $15.5 billion in public works, mostly for transportation improvements, and asserts the projects are attainable with or without the 2016 Olympics.

The projects include a West Loop transit hub beneath Clinton Street with an estimated price tag of almost $6 billion. The hub would connect Metra and CTA rail and bus lines with a proposed Carroll Street rail line, itself a $260 million item, near the north bank of the Chicago River.

» Click to enlarge image

http://www.suntimes.com/business/150...tion31.article
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM   #1252
chrome13

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
City plans $15.5B in downtown projects

March 31, 2009
BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN

A draft of Chicago's plans for the city's central area through 2020 calls for $15.5 billion in public works, mostly for transportation improvements, and asserts the projects are attainable with or without the 2016 Olympics.

The projects include a West Loop transit hub beneath Clinton Street with an estimated price tag of almost $6 billion. The hub would connect Metra and CTA rail and bus lines with a proposed Carroll Street rail line, itself a $260 million item, near the north bank of the Chicago River.

» Click to enlarge image

http://www.suntimes.com/business/150...tion31.article
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention. So much great stuff in this proposal. If a fraction of this becomes reality by 2016 I will be a happy camper. Shit, even though I hate these emoticons, I think its time for a little
chrome13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM   #1253
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome13 View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention. So much great stuff in this proposal. If a fraction of this becomes reality by 2016 I will be a happy camper. Shit, even though I hate these emoticons, I think its time for a little
The unforunate by-product/backlash is evident if you look at all of the user-comments attached to the article - Talk about 'critical'! One self-proclaimed 'liberal' who is surprisingly against this, posted something about trying to find a pitchfork..hilarious!
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:12 AM   #1254
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Heck of a list of projects. Hopefully, someone somewhere will explain to me how the "express" airport trains will run on the same tracks as the local trains, yet actually get you there substantially quicker.
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:39 AM   #1255
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
Heck of a list of projects. Hopefully, someone somewhere will explain to me how the "express" airport trains will run on the same tracks as the local trains, yet actually get you there substantially quicker.
It's all about scheduling the trains appropriately. The would-be "local" trains aren't running every minute, so that means there are probably gaps in the schedule where an "express" train could run at normal local speeds without having to make stops. This probably just means that the frequency of service for these express trains wouldn't be that high (nor would it really need to be that high). For an anecdotal case study, try riding the purple line north when it's running express to and fro downtown. You'll pass maybe 2, maybe 3 red line trains in the entire route. That's without any coordinated scheduling, and I'd wager (my memory is shaky) that the red line frequency of service in peak hours is way higher than outbound blue or orange line.

Back at UChicago, a friend had a graduation party where his family rented out an entire CTA train (he was a big rail geek). We basically were able to ride all around the city non-stop just with some advance notification and good scheduling (which also led to confused stares from people waiting at stops like on the Green line, which doesn't have "express" trains like the red/brown/purple 4-track).

EDIT: of course, i could be wrong and maybe the money being set aside is to demolish some highway real estate and make the orange/blue lines 4-track (which would be *awesome*). but i doubt it.

Last edited by simulcra; April 1st, 2009 at 02:44 AM.
simulcra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1256
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

If half of that stuff happened, that would be fantastic! My top 3 from that would be:
1. Circle line
2. That west loop transportation hub
3. "Kennedy Cap"
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM   #1257
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulcra View Post
For an anecdotal case study, try riding the purple line north when it's running express to and fro downtown. You'll pass maybe 2, maybe 3 red line trains in the entire route.
If memory serves me, the Purple line has dedicated tracks from Belmont all the way to Howard, making it a true express line. I can't imagine adding another track (or two) along the Kennedy, at the expense of car lanes.
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1258
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

The concept is to add passing tracks or reverse signaling at certain locations so that express trains could pass their local leaders. This probably requires better timekeeping and signaling than CTA currently has. But there's a transportation thread for further discussion.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1259
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
If memory serves me, the Purple line has dedicated tracks from Belmont all the way to Howard, making it a true express line. I can't imagine adding another track (or two) along the Kennedy, at the expense of car lanes.
I know, I'm saying that with proper scheduling, it'd be relatively easy to schedule a non-stop train. Though Mr.Downtown has some points in his post.
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM   #1260
chrome13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIsentinel View Post
The unforunate by-product/backlash is evident if you look at all of the user-comments attached to the article - Talk about 'critical'! One self-proclaimed 'liberal' who is surprisingly against this, posted something about trying to find a pitchfork..hilarious!
There's something about the local paper comment boards that attracts nothing but stark raving lunatics.
chrome13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote